Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you know adults who have no interest in whats happening in the world?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

My sister's husband. He's French.

Has no interest about what's happening outside his life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Jeju

As someone once said "Isn't it amazing how there is always exactly the right amount of news to fill up the paper". One day in the 1930's the BBC newsreader announced that there was no news that day, and they played some music instead.

I think that day was August 31st 1939.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I'm married to somebody like this

The only way she'd hear of the world ending is if I told her or if she saw someone on Facebook posting about it

Calls me an aul grandad because I am interested too!

I'm asking for the benefit of others.

What do you talk about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Most adults I've encountered can't figure out what's going on in front of them, let alone what's happening in the rest of the world.

Most adults are willing morons with no idea about anything that goes on in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

limnam wrote: »
    How would you know what they know.

If they're not interested in what you're interested in you decide not to converse with them

That's as ignorant as someone not interested in bloody Leo.
    I don't know what they know and I don't have to. I'm pretty sure they have no interest in what I have to say and that is fine. It's completely disingenuous to pretend we all talk to everyone about everything.

Most adults I've encountered can't figure out what's going on in front of them, let alone what's happening in the rest of the world.

Most adults are willing morons with no idea about anything that goes on in the world.

Your some bellend

limnam wrote: »
    Your You're some bellend

See what I mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Im guessing 93%?

Im guessing 93%?

That's about right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Bob_Marley

I've always had a keen interest and followed current affairs, news and politics, but it's so depressing and divisive now, i'm thinking of dropping out from it all. Everything has to be politicised in a hysteria doom and gloom fashion now - even things like gender, toilets, films, children's toys and clothes. It seems all about dividing ordinary people up as much as possible so they can be more easily controlled, manipulated and conquered.

American politics and it's self destructing divided mess of country, still has way too much of an influence on Ireland and the UK and lot of american politics has been imported here. It's also getting nearly impossible to find a well researched, intelligent, objective and trustworthy media source that informs and educates people on all the facts, and then let's people make their own minds up and form their own opinions - instead you're presented with one side of the argument or the other, and some selective facts or half truths at best, and then you're spun what opinion is acceptable for you to hold and what you should think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Gianna Uptight Penalty

a lot of the content now is going either celeb crap or the overly left - used to listen to radio (today fm) where I got my news/going on in the world and now Since I got Spotify, ive now less and less heard today fm news bits, recently I listened a few days to it and now matt coopers gone soft/politically correct and their news bits have pieces onn what a Kardashian/jenner did or Ed Sheeran did is now apparently news

ive a few newspages on my social media pages e.g. Indo/Journal/Times and most of these outlets are full of irritating opinion pieces from shrill windbags like FOT/Mullaly whinging about trivial things or looking to identity politics to stir up nonsense and now I'm getting rid of them on my news feeds - id rather theyd tell the news instead of blaming trump for everything (not a trump fan) or pushing the pc agenda

That's about right.

They're lucky to have you as a beacon of intelligence in a sea of ignorance.

Bob_Marley wrote: »
    I've always had a keen interest and followed current affairs, news and politics, but it's so depressing and divisive now, i'm thinking of dropping out from it all. Everything has to be politicised in a hysteria doom ad gloom fashion now from even things like gender, toilets, films, children's toys and clothes. It seems all about dividing ordinary people up as much as possible to they can be more easily controlled and conquered.

American politics and it's self destructing divided mess of country, still has way too much of an influence on Ireland and the UK and lot of american politics has been imported here. It's also getting nearly impossible to find a well researched, intelligent, objective and trustworthy media source that informs and educates people on all the facts, and then let's people make their own minds up and form their own opinions - instead your presented with one side of the argument or the other, and some selective facts or half truths at best, and then your spun what opinion is acceptable for you to hold and what you should think.

this x 10 ...put it better than I did

They're lucky to have you as a beacon of intelligence in a sea of ignorance.

I only stated the obvious. No need for drama.

also I would love to be oblivious/hidden from all the abortion talk - both sides are increasingly nauseating and its going to get worse over the next while

• Advertisement

also I would love to be oblivious/hidden from all the abortion talk - both sides are increasingly nauseating and its going to get worse over the next while

I've somehow managed to miss it all bar scrolling past some thread titles on here.

It's a great place to be.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

According to the opinion polls some people still support FF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I'm only interested to see if North Korea will ever launch a fúcking nuke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Loads. I've lost count of the amount of times I've heard someone say "I don't watch the news."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Most adults don't need to know whats going on in the world.

There's a million news articles published every day. How do you define what's important and what's not?

Most stuff will never have an impact on you. How has anything Trump has done directly impacted you, or Brexit, or Leo's socks, or whatever else journalists are falling over themselves to cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

eeguy wrote: »

There's a million news articles published every day. How do you define what's important and what's not?

Most stuff will never have an impact on you. How has anything Trump has done directly impacted you, or Brexit, or Leo's socks, or whatever else journalists are falling over themselves to cover.

While it's true for a lot of things it's not actually useful to follow current affairs it's not a blanket statement.

For example something like Brexit has real world consequences, or a even more complicated murky thing, future EU changes on taxes.
    Both those could have a significant negative impact on Ireland which means if your looking at market value of houses you have to try work out if a market revaluation will happen in places like Dublin or will it keep booming.

The problem is increasingly the news has mixed the social with the hardcore political e.g the politicians socks thing which makes no difference to anybody.

The bias thing is also very awkward to avoid, it's easy to see that the sun will lean one way while the Guardian will lean the other but more apparently impartial sources have issues, for example the editor of the Financial Times a source you would presume would place a high regard on neutrality was awarded a French honour for "positive" debate about the EU.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/aug/08/ft-france-eu-lionel-barber-tweet
    Using this as a link because if I linked to a British tabloid it would be automatically disbelieved, which brings up another modern thing. Just because you don't like the source doesn't mean the information is wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

I don't feel I have to keep up with the latest wrinkle or daily minutiae going on in the Ottoman Empire. It's done me no harm.

While it's true for a lot of things it's not actually useful to follow current affairs it's not a blanket statement.

For example something like Brexit has real world consequences, or a even more complicated murky thing, future EU changes on taxes.
    Both those could have a significant negative impact on Ireland which means if your looking at market value of houses you have to try work out if a market revaluation will happen in places like Dublin or will it keep booming.

The problem is increasingly the news has mixed the social with the hardcore political e.g the politicians socks thing which makes no difference to anybody.

The bias thing is also very awkward to avoid, it's easy to see that the sun will lean one way while the Guardian will lean the other but more apparently impartial sources have issues, for example the editor of the Financial Times a source you would presume would place a high regard on neutrality was awarded a French honour for "positive" debate about the EU.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/aug/08/ft-france-eu-lionel-barber-tweet
    Using this as a link because if I linked to a British tabloid it would be automatically disbelieved, which brings up another modern thing. Just because you don't like the source doesn't mean the information is wrong.

The Guardian is a British tabloid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

The Guardian is a British tabloid.

I agree it's got pretty rubbish the last few years but it was used as a link because the British tabloids that covered the story would be instantly mocked. Which was my additional point that it's as bad as not seeing any biases to reject everything from a source because you don't like it's worldview

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

Imagine if Brexit had never been a thing, even in concept. The news here and in the UK would have needed something else to prattle on about for more than 2 years, every single ****ing day.

What's brexit?

I believe that automation, AI, genetically modified, factory grown food and stem cells are much more important to us that transient political and economic events like Brexit, yet most people couldn't tell you a single fact about them.

Sure Brexit and Trump will blow over like everything else after a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Me, couldn't give 2 fcuks , only buy the paper on a Saturday, read it that night , no interest at all, thank you and good night. PS Love the ould chat here though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

There's usually an element of self importance and grandiosity in that sort of person you describe OP, it's like having a house and a brood of kids feeds into some sort of 'Mafia Don' self image, a lot of these type of blokes are 'too important' to go to the pub and usually have few friends, sort of loners albeit with wifes and kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Vronsky

eeguy wrote: »

I couldn't disagree with you more. Living in your own merry little world is abdicating your responsibility as an adult citizen - because adult citizens need to make informed decisions for themselves and their dependents.

While trump or Brexit might not directly effect you, major changes in the political or economic environment eventually comes knocking at everyone's door.

Imagine an individual buying a house in late 2008. Unless this person knows that the arse is falling out of the economy they are potentially making a very bad decision, which might not just effect them but have wider repercussions for everyone else.

If I found out a person deliberately kept themselves uninformed it would greatly change my opinion of them. In that sense, this thread has been illuminating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Cutie 3.14

As the great Morrissey recently sang in Dublin last week...

"And I recommend that you stop watching the news,
    Because the news contrives to frighten you,
    To make you feel small and alone,
    To make you feel that your mind isn't your own"

I watch the news, I like to know what's going on in the world but I don't take massive interest in a lot of things that are going on because they don't directly affect me.

Don't get me wrong il keep an eye out for certain things as they're happening like big ongoing court cases but things like the marriage referendum debates I completely tuned out. I knew what way I was voting and didn't want to watch the snippets of Claire Byrne live when Iona representatives were on because it would only wind me up.
    And il be doing the same for the Repeal referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Ursummupet

I wouldn't say there's one single adult not interested in world or local news, their world might be a rabbits burrow or a new Jimmy Choo.

It's all perspective, and if I met someone passionate enough to keep me interested in Choos for a while, I'd say fair flucks, I couldn't have done that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Personally I'd die if I didn't read my papers and watch news...but there are reasons why some people don't. My aunt cares for my grandmother who has very advanced dementia and can't be left unattended at any time. She has a sensory issie so can't have tv or radio on, and can't leave to get newspaper.

I made a decision a few years back to care less about the news and current affairs. Your mind only has limited capacity and minutes of the day during which it can worry and think about stuff and it’s a bad idea to spend those limited minutes concerned with the troubles of the world which wouldn’t concern you if you didn’t hear/watch/read about them. A few generations ago you wouldn’t have felt an iota of stress if the news somehow got to you that a few thousand people had been killed in an earthquake in some part of the world; the circle of empathy hadn’t been expanded yet and you felt no inclination to care and you had enough on your mind keeping you occupied.

I think most people were more ignorant of the news pre 2008, thinking bad news was something which happened only in “the past” in Ireland or in really unfortunate parts of the world. From 2008 onwards, when it was obvious that the content of the news would have an actual impact on all of us from now on, everyone became much more informed about current affairs, in my experience. Everyone had an opinion on things and were much more informed, as if they were trying to catch up on “how the world actually works” as they saw their world turn from stabilityand certainty to chaos. Remember people saying stuff like “why can’t they just print more money?”? A surprisingly common question in 2008/9 following many years of being able to be ignorant of such matters, it is something very few would ask now. Internet access and then smartphones fuelled this trend hugely. But I definitely think people care less about the news now than they did during the grim days around 2008-2012. I think a certain numbness took hold after a while and also the economy recovered from about 2015 onwards so people weren’t as bothered by economic news. But even Obama’s re-election in 2012 seems very forgettable, and did at the time too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I couldn't give a flying fiddlers about politics, I don't care who is ruining the country because from my experience every single one of them talk through their hoop. It doesn't matter who gets elected, they are all liars looking out for #1 hence I am not registered to vote.

I dont watch the news because its never anything good, it's all bad and depressing.

Brexit and all that? No idea what it's about and what the repercussions are.

People being evicted out of their houses? Tough ****, you were stupid and couldn't afford it. Get out and stop expecting everything handed to you.

I have enough worries in my own life and things/people to look after to be worried about most other things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

A lot of news is not very informative, manipulates it’s audience’s emotions or has a clear bias and someone tuned into it may not be much better informed than someone who avoids it altogether.

Pretty much every week since October the secretery in work has been telling me of heavy snow ‘this week’ because most media cynically exaggerates Met Éireann weather warnings as clickbait.

For the last week RTE, and other outlets, have been heavily reporting on the bombardment of Ghouta by Assad’s forces with emotion-led coverage such as witness accounts that do not appear to be verified in any way. While the viciousness of Assad’s regime is undeniable this coverage contrasts markedly with that of US backed forces taking Raqqa and Mosul last year which was all cool shots of advancing vehicles and awe-inspiring artillery firing, yet they too involved heavy bombardment of urban areas with horrendous civilian casulaties guaranteed. Someone only watching RTE would merely learn “US and its allies good, Assad and Russia bad”.

Even unbiased news can be very shallow nowadays and gives little information beyond the headline, presumably as less media outlets can afford people on the ground to report events so they just regurgitate other headlines.

So I wouldn’t be too worried about people ducking the news, most of it’s empty noise.

I've been more and more detached recently. I know what's happening but am not invested in it.

As for friends or partners knowing what's going on, I really don't care. There's only one person I know worth talking to about this stuff. And I'd rather sit in silence than listen to some of my other friends repeat whatever opinion they've been told to have. My brother's new girlfriend seems to want to fill any silence with some social commentary and it's frankly annoying because the ideas she has aren't her own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

I've always had a keen interest and followed current affairs, news and politics, but it's so depressing and divisive now, i'm thinking of dropping out from it all. Everything has to be politicised in a hysteria doom and gloom fashion now - even things like gender, toilets, films, children's toys and clothes. It seems all about dividing ordinary people up as much as possible so they can be more easily controlled, manipulated and conquered.

American politics and it's self destructing divided mess of country, still has way too much of an influence on Ireland and the UK and lot of american politics has been imported here. It's also getting nearly impossible to find a well researched, intelligent, objective and trustworthy media source that informs and educates people on all the facts, and then let's people make their own minds up and form their own opinions - instead you're presented with one side of the argument or the other, and some selective facts or half truths at best, and then you're spun what opinion is acceptable for you to hold and what you should think.

Perfect post. Thank you.

Vronsky wrote: »
    I couldn't disagree with you more. Living in your own merry little world is abdicating your responsibility as an adult citizen - because adult citizens need to make informed decisions for themselves and their dependents.

While trump or Brexit might not directly effect you, major changes in the political or economic environment eventually comes knocking at everyone's door.

Imagine an individual buying a house in late 2008. Unless this person knows that the arse is falling out of the economy they are potentially making a very bad decision, which might not just effect them but have wider repercussions for everyone else.

If I was buying a house if be researching house prices and how they're affected by the economy, but there is zero need, apart from one's own entertainment, to be constantly aware of Irish and world affairs.
    It's depressing and distracting. You'd be better off spending time reading a book or getting a hobby.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

I remember my ex girlfriend and I got in an argument one time, I broke up with her just days after for another reason, but my fuse was already short with her before this argument happened.

We were in a shopping centre car park, just out to get out of the house I guess, I was a bit short with her because she hadn't been making a whole lot of time for us for the previous few weeks, anyway we were in this car park and there was a large water charge protest going on, lots of shouting through megaphones and chanting etc.... and that politician was there, the bald guy they tried to jail for the Joan Burton thing....his name escapes me......and the ex rolls her eyes and sighs and says "they should just pay the charge" (and she who never reads newspapers, or watches the news or knows in general what's going on around her, she's not in the know about anything unless it was for her own self interest, her career mostly!) because she lived in the countryside, barely any neighbours or anyone she can converse with, basically lived in her own little bubble and her family are reasonably well off.

Got in this big argument saying "those people are on the breadline, probably up to their eyes in bills, probably lost their jobs or took massive pay cuts and now they're being lynched for water on top of that.

Argument went back and forth....before I just let rip and said "well that's the difference between you and I, I'm working class and you're not"

She didn't like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

If I'm having a conversation with someone I'd prefer to catch up with what's going on in their life than talk about Brexit or the latest American shooting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

My wife.

If it doesn't happen in carrickstown then she's not interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

Yes me I don't watch the news or read newspapers

What a load of tripe.

Oh I don't know how to parent. Let me read Dr.Ciara in the indo.

I

Considering most mainstream media was still hammering on about getting on "the ladder" in 2008. You might have faired better not reading mainstream media.
    I
    If I found out a person deliberately kept themselves uninformed it would greatly change my opinion of them. In that sense, this thread has been illuminating.

It says more about you than them tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

I just watch E news , everything you need to know is featured there

I'd watch the news morning and evening, read some online outlets, generally I like to know what's happening in the world.

The exception is if I'm having problems with my own life; my news consumption drops considerably in what I assume to be an instinctive act of self preservation by avoiding overloading myself with doom and gloom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Bob_Marley

TIP : If you are in a hurry the teletext service or whatever it's called these days on RTE is still surprisingly good most of the time
    - main reason is they are forced to be brief and because of that, it makes it much harder to squeeze in the usual spin, rubbish and biased opinion.
    - it also seems to be flying under the radar of the spin doctors/editors, who probably think this old tech is now beneath them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    I remember my ex girlfriend and I got in an argument one time, I broke up with her just days after for another reason, but my fuse was already short with her before this argument happened.

We were in a shopping centre car park, just out to get out of the house I guess, I was a bit short with her because she hadn't been making a whole lot of time for us for the previous few weeks, anyway we were in this car park and there was a large water charge protest going on, lots of shouting through megaphones and chanting etc.... and that politician was there, the bald guy they tried to jail for the Joan Burton thing....his name escapes me......and the ex rolls her eyes and sighs and says "they should just pay the charge" (and she who never reads newspapers, or watches the news or knows in general what's going on around her, she's not in the know about anything unless it was for her own self interest, her career mostly!) because she lived in the countryside, barely any neighbours or anyone she can converse with, basically lived in her own little bubble and her family are reasonably well off.

Got in this big argument saying "those people are on the breadline, probably up to their eyes in bills, probably lost their jobs or took massive pay cuts and now they're being lynched for water on top of that.

Argument went back and forth....before I just let rip and said "well that's the difference between you and I, I'm working class and you're not"

She didn't like that!

The fact she grew up in the country would have had a major impact on her views.
    Been paying the local Group Water Scheme 300 to 500 euro per year since the 1980's probably.
    Or had to bore their own well, buy pumps etc, build pump house and so forth (cost of 4 to 5 thousand euro, plus maintainance).

Then sees a bunch of dolers with placards complaining about paying the price of a pint per week. ....

TIP : If you are in a hurry the teletext service or whatever it's called these days on RTE is still surprisingly good most of the time
    - main reason is they are forced to be brief and because of that, it makes it much harder to squeeze in the usual spin, rubbish and biased opinion.
    - it also seems to be flying under the radar of the spin doctors/editors, who probably think this old tech is now beneath them

It is exactly the same spin and rubbish.

https://www.rte.ie/aertel/desktopxhtml/103-1.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement