Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you know adults who have no interest in whats happening in the world?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Bob_Marley

It is exactly the same spin and rubbish.

https://www.rte.ie/aertel/desktopxhtml/103-1.html

I think the point has gone over your head

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I know plenty.

Maybe there is a certain wisdom to the idea that they are happier not knowing what's going on, but as somebody who has been fascinated by politics, history and geography since a very young age, I find it bizarre to not know what's going on in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    The fact she grew up in the country would have had a major impact on her views.
    Been paying the local Group Water Scheme 300 to 500 euro per year since the 1980's probably.
    Or had to bore their own well, buy pumps etc, build pump house and so forth (cost of 4 to 5 thousand euro, plus maintainance).

Then sees a bunch of dolers with placards complaining about paying the price of a pint per week. ....

Yeah, starts out with a low amount before they start riding people bareback with rate hikes to pay some middle management pen pushers who makes no real decisions about our water. Just like the health service.

And you bet your bottom dollar any money generated from it, if any, will only improve Dublins infrastructure and f**k everywhere else. And who said it was people on the dole protesting? I'm sure there were a good few low income workers there too.

Perhaps paying County Councils an environmental charge is a better solution. Every county looks after it's own, the money is kept local. County Councils hire their own staff to handle it's own district. Keep the charge at a fixed rate. Sounds better than paying a whole other new company and you know where the money is going.

Also the property tax is pretty stupid too, apparently they fund local services, what magical services are these now? I don't see any anyway. If they actually used the money to build some affordable housing during the housing crisis I'd actually agree with it, but I'm sure that money is being pissed away too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Yes, I think you misunderstand how water charges work in the country. You pay a flat rate of say, 350 euro and get an annual allowance of, for example, 365,000 litres of water ..
    when your meter is read, usually every 6 months, every additional 1000 litres is charged at a higher rate, something like €2.50.

The company is a co-operative, with an AGM etc, and not run for profit. Lots of volunteering involved as well.

But if you don't pay, after 6 months or so, you WILL be cut off, and you'll stay off. You WILL be brought to court and made to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Vronsky

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    I remember my ex girlfriend and I got in an argument one time, I broke up with her just days after for another reason, but my fuse was already short with her before this argument happened.

We were in a shopping centre car park, just out to get out of the house I guess, I was a bit short with her because she hadn't been making a whole lot of time for us for the previous few weeks, anyway we were in this car park and there was a large water charge protest going on, lots of shouting through megaphones and chanting etc.... and that politician was there, the bald guy they tried to jail for the Joan Burton thing....his name escapes me......and the ex rolls her eyes and sighs and says "they should just pay the charge" (and she who never reads newspapers, or watches the news or knows in general what's going on around her, she's not in the know about anything unless it was for her own self interest, her career mostly!) because she lived in the countryside, barely any neighbours or anyone she can converse with, basically lived in her own little bubble and her family are reasonably well off.

Got in this big argument saying "those people are on the breadline, probably up to their eyes in bills, probably lost their jobs or took massive pay cuts and now they're being lynched for water on top of that.

Argument went back and forth....before I just let rip and said "well that's the difference between you and I, I'm working class and you're not"

She didn't like that!
    Those people weren't on the breadline btw.

limnam wrote: »
    What a load of tripe.

Oh I don't know how to parent. Let me read Dr.Ciara in the indo.

Considering most mainstream media was still hammering on about getting on "the ladder" in 2008. You might have faired better not reading mainstream media.

It says more about you than them tbh

Dr. Ciara isn't news, it's lifestyle/opinion filler in a newspaper and not what I'm talking about. Being informed is staying in touch with what is happening around you beyond your immediate circle. I'm not saying one has to be devoted to news either just listening to one or two news bulletins a week is enough to maintain a state of being informed.

And the reason being informed is important is because you might find you have to react to news, that it might stay to impact on your life/circle -like the son or daughter that might find themselves deported because the US is more hostile to illegal migration, that your way to work might not be available because of a heavy snowstorm, that you might put yourselves and others in danger by traveling in a windstorm when the rest of the country knows it's not safe

Ultimately, those that are uninformed get taken advantage of - eg. they'll be the one left holding the diesel car when everyone else knows it's time to move on. In fine with that to happen to others but I'm not happy for that to happen to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Argument went back and forth....before I just let rip and said "well that's the difference between you and I, I'm working class and you're not"
    She didn't like that!
    Enough to end any relationship. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

diomed wrote: »
    Enough to end any relationship. :)

It was on the way out anyway, I wouldn't have got so pissed off in the first place if she'd have paid more attention to the relationship, she'd been letting a lot of the fundamental things slip in the relationship for weeks beforehand and wasn't apologising for it and it boiled over that weekend. My nerves were generally at me from thinking about where it was going, there was a lot going on in my mind..and just her rolling her eyes at those people when I finally got her out of the house to spend a bit of "couple time" with me, she was doing PhD and spending an insane amount of time on it, I would say obsessive, and when she rolled her eyes, I thought of my own upbringing in comparison to hers, personally I thought she had it better, and just wasn't letting her off. Actually it was the only bad argument I had with her.

We got on really well before, just got to the stage where I got fizzled out of her life because of her academic schedule and she couldn't have cared less in the end.

Anyway she did live in her own bubble, I remember wanting to watch the news on a few occasions in her house and all she did was complain that I switched it to RTE, I don't like RTE either but I'll look at the news to see what's happening ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I've always been curious about everything, but I pretty much 'switched off' from all American politics news when the current president was elected. It's all too brash and ugly and the "oh, what has he said now" thing was getting annoying. I don't think he's much worse than any of his predecessors - it's just that his badness is more immediately obvious and it was depressing hearing about it all the time and seeing his stupid face. I feel I'm not missing much. I compensate by paying more attention to other parts of the world that I previously ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I couldn't give a shite what's happening in the world.

Now where are me nuclear codes? Rocketman annoyed me with one of his tweets earlier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

As soon as you're born they make you feel small
    By giving you no time instead of it all
    'Til the pain is so big you feel nothing at all

Actually, no, wait. Just get a job ya feckin' bum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

eeguy wrote: »
    Vronsky wrote: »
    I couldn't disagree with you more. Living in your own merry little world is abdicating your responsibility as an adult citizen - because adult citizens need to make informed decisions for themselves and their dependents.

While trump or Brexit might not directly effect you, major changes in the political or economic environment eventually comes knocking at everyone's door.

Imagine an individual buying a house in late 2008. Unless this person knows that the arse is falling out of the economy they are potentially making a very bad decision, which might not just effect them but have wider repercussions for everyone else.

If I was buying a house if be researching house prices and how they're affected by the economy, but there is zero need, apart from one's own entertainment, to be constantly aware of Irish and world affairs.
    It's depressing and distracting. You'd be better off spending time reading a book or getting a hobby.

Agree. Well actually the news is basically a hobby for a lot of people, who like the previous poster seem to think they’re obligated to know what’s going on in the world. A politician’s dream and news corporations’ dream to have such ‘responsible’ citizens who keep the whole thing chugging along.

The news is about other peoples’ lives. Not mine. If you’re not invested in something then it’s just a waste of time keeping up to date. I could probably spend 10 minutes of my time now learning what I need/want to know about any one of the ‘important’ historical news topics mentioned here rather than watch hours upon hours of news coverage and analysis while such things are ongoing and unresolved.

If something is relevant to my life at present then I will find out about it, but I think this thread is about people who are uninterested in things that have no bearing on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Dr. Ciara isn't news, it's lifestyle/opinion filler in a newspaper and not what I'm talking about. Being informed is staying in touch with what is happening around you beyond your immediate circle. I'm not saying one has to be devoted to news either just listening to one or two news bulletins a week is enough to maintain a state of being informed.

And the reason being informed is important is because you might find you have to react to news, that it might stay to impact on your life/circle -like the son or daughter that might find themselves deported because the US is more hostile to illegal migration, that your way to work might not be available because of a heavy snowstorm, that you might put yourselves and others in danger by traveling in a windstorm when the rest of the country knows it's not safe

Ultimately, those that are uninformed get taken advantage of - eg. they'll be the one left holding the diesel car when everyone else knows it's time to move on. In fine with that to happen to others but I'm not happy for that to happen to me.

Stay informed.

Avoid been caught breaking the law.

Wow.

If I wasn't convinced before. I am now.

Stay informed.

Avoid been caught breaking the law.

Wow.

If I wasn't convinced before. I am now.

If you want to maintain a childlike sense of ignorance about the world around you, that is fine by me.

Just don't expect to be taken seriously as an adult.

I remember my ex girlfriend and I got in an argument one time, I broke up with her just days after for another reason, but my fuse was already short with her before this argument happened.

We were in a shopping centre car park, just out to get out of the house I guess, I was a bit short with her because she hadn't been making a whole lot of time for us for the previous few weeks, anyway we were in this car park and there was a large water charge protest going on, lots of shouting through megaphones and chanting etc.... and that politician was there, the bald guy they tried to jail for the Joan Burton thing....his name escapes me......and the ex rolls her eyes and sighs and says "they should just pay the charge" (and she who never reads newspapers, or watches the news or knows in general what's going on around her, she's not in the know about anything unless it was for her own self interest, her career mostly!) because she lived in the countryside, barely any neighbours or anyone she can converse with, basically lived in her own little bubble and her family are reasonably well off.

Got in this big argument saying "those people are on the breadline, probably up to their eyes in bills, probably lost their jobs or took massive pay cuts and now they're being lynched for water on top of that.

She didn't like that!

You probably think you come off well in that story but you sound like an absolute arsehole and should be aware of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

She didn't like that!

No those people were not on the bread line, those people were mostly spongers who never worked a day in their life, get everything free from the tax payers expense, yet bitch and moan about the government non stop, then loose the plot when they are finally told to pay for something, hurling abuse at the gardai who were just doing their jobs.

Also the bit I have in bold shows you have a chip on your shoulder about being working class, why take it out on your ex because she is not working class?

The bit about not having anyone to converse with because she lives in the countryside is highly offensive to me as a person who lives in the countryside, like we are thick or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

She had a lucky escape, I reckon !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

She didn't like that!

I'm from a working class background and those protestors weren't working class. Not working class would be more appropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

You probably think you come off well in that story but you sound like an absolute arsehole and should be aware of that.

Didn't take long for the ex to get the dig in :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Honestly, I can't blame anyone who wants to avoid the news and current affairs. It has always focused on the negative. The old adage of it if bleeds it leads is sadly the order of the day, and it has only gotten worse with click baity online world.

Honestly, having to sort out what is real and fake is a massive pain, and can't really hold it against anyone who just decides to opt out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

professore wrote: »
    I'm from a working class background and those protestors weren't working class. Not working class would be more appropriate.

massive over generalization and lazy comment

i dont blame anyone trying to avoid the news but its definately a me feiner attitude..... not following/caring whats going on in your own country where you live or have kids that will live in it in the future i just dont get

jobless wrote: »
    i dont blame anyone trying to avoid the news but its definately a me feiner attitude..... not following/caring whats going on in your own country where you live or have kids that will live in it in the future i just dont get

life is too short to be watching news about a bus crash in france, an earthquake in japan, a landslide in india. all things that if you did not see it on the news, would have zero effect on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Cutie 3.14

It's kind of hard NOT to know what's going on in the news too though, like every smart phone now has a news app on it when you buy it....all I have to do on mine is swipe right on the home screen and there's all the latest headlines....it is a bit unbelievable that people are completely clueless as to what's going on in the country, let alone the world!

pgj2015 wrote: »
    life is too short to be watching news about a bus crash in france, an earthquake in japan, a landslide in india. all things that if you did not see it on the news, would have zero effect on you.

my comment was more about paying no attention to whats going on around you in your own area/country

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

A lot of parents devote themselves to giving their children the best possible life and future.
    To call them me feiners (cringe) because they dont know what politicians are doing what, is a bit unfair.

It can come across as ostensibly arrogant, to have a go at someone who doesn't take an interest in current affairs. Lets be honest - its not exactly specialist knowledge.

But if you don't watch the news how will you know about something that will effect you?

I'm not saying it's necessary to be a news junkie with 24hr rolling news on all the time - simply that it's a good idea to remain informed. It's rather childlike to step back because it's too negative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

In a recent conversation it was revealed that my 31 year old housemate had never heard of NAMA. He also, at one point, didn't realise there was a general election on. I asked him if he was voting, and he genuinely answered 'in what?'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Schorpio

I get following the big news stories (Brexit, Northern Assembly, 8th etc.) - things which may actually affect you (or younger generations).

What I don't like (and tend to ignore) is the tiny news stories which become headline news. Maybe it's just an Irish thing, but stories like 'Man dies in Donegal after car he was driving crashed into a wall'. Yes, it's sad. Yes, I wish he hadn't died. But I didn't know him, and it's the other side of the country. Without trying to sound heartless - why is this one of the main stories on the Six One?!

And then later I'll be speaking to my Mum on the phone, and I'll get "Oh, did you hear about the man who died in Donegal?".....:mad:

my comment was more about paying no attention to whats going on around you in your own area/country

same applies for say flooding in cork when you live in donegal, murder in limerick when you live in dundalk etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I'm essentially that guy.

I do scroll through FB and see headlines, (and AH thread titles to a lesser extent). So these days I at least know key-words relating to what is going on, and (I think) I'm good at bluffing based on that very limited info to not seem like complete dumb-ass.
    I have started paying a little more attention recently, although I'm not sure why. I think it is since having kids, and being curious what might impact them.

I still watch no sport, and am unapologetically uninformed about the latest goings on in Rugby, Football or Scandinavian archery (all the same level of non-interest to me).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

But if you don't watch the news how will you know about something that will effect you?

I'm not saying it's necessary to be a news junkie with 24hr rolling news on all the time - simply that it's a good idea to remain informed. It's rather childlike to step back because it's too negative.

I don't think it's the negativity, but more the lack of relevance to me.
    The positive stories are even worse;

Your Face wrote: »
    A lot of parents devote themselves to giving their children the best possible life and future.
    To call them me feiners (cringe) because they dont know what politicians are doing what, is a bit unfair.

It can come across as ostensibly arrogant, to have a go at someone who doesn't take an interest in current affairs. Lets be honest - its not exactly specialist knowledge.

surely part of that devotion should be to try and make the world they are going to grow up in a slightly better place? or how about staying abreast of news about things happening in the the country that might affect you and your family...

i never said you needed to have an interest in current affairs or politics(dont put words in my mouth) but ignoring everything that goes on around you i dont understand..... it's definately an i'm alright jack attitude...

yes there is a **** of load of negative stories everyday but closing yourself off to everything going on i just dont get...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

It was on the way out anyway, I wouldn't have got so pissed off in the first place if she'd have paid more attention to the relationship, she'd been letting a lot of the fundamental things slip in the relationship for weeks beforehand and wasn't apologising for it and it boiled over that weekend. My nerves were generally at me from thinking about where it was going, there was a lot going on in my mind..and just her rolling her eyes at those people when I finally got her out of the house to spend a bit of "couple time" with me, she was doing PhD and spending an insane amount of time on it, I would say obsessive, and when she rolled her eyes, I thought of my own upbringing in comparison to hers, personally I thought she had it better, and just wasn't letting her off. Actually it was the only bad argument I had with her.

We got on really well before, just got to the stage where I got fizzled out of her life because of her academic schedule and she couldn't have cared less in the end.

Anyway she did live in her own bubble, I remember wanting to watch the news on a few occasions in her house and all she did was complain that I switched it to RTE, I don't like RTE either but I'll look at the news to see what's happening ffs.

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    I still watch no sport, and am unapologetically uninformed about the latest goings on in Rugby, Football or Scandinavian archery (all the same level of non-interest to me).

Someone says to me "Did you watch the game".
    I say "what game".
    They say "the Ireland one"
    I say " We played? What sport?"
    They look baffled and say "Soccer/rugby/whatever"
    I say "No. I missed that one"

I should just start with No.

Some know it all clown in the pub will interrupt a great conversation with how much he knows on the latest goings on as he spent the week listening to Pat Kenny while the adults were busy working/raring kids etc

Don't worry one way or another people manage to hear about these massive events that effect us.

If you want to maintain a childlike sense of ignorance about the world around you, that is fine by me.

Watching six news is not exactly a deep insight to the "world" around you.

You can learn/know a lot about the "world" without listening to Joe Duffy et al
    I
    Just don't expect to be taken seriously as an adult.

So someone goes to work.
    Pays their taxes
    Rares their kids "correctly"
    Law abiding.

If they don't watch six-one or keep up to date on the current FOTM. They're suddenly not to be taking seriously as adult?

For someone so much in the know you have a very narrow view.

Watching six news is not exactly a deep insight to the "world" around you.

You can learn/know a lot about the "world" without listening to Joe Duffy et al

So someone goes to work.
    Pays their taxes
    Rares their kids "correctly"
    Law abiding.

If they don't watch six-one or keep up to date on the current FOTM. They're suddenly not to be taking seriously as adult?

For someone so much in the know you have a very narrow view.
    Yeah because they're depending on others to make informed choices so they can continue to live their lives oblivious to what is going on around them. Far too many people take the stability we enjoy in Ireland totally for granted. Although media is far easier to consume now than in the past, less political stability meant people were better informed.

The way people go on about rearing children, you'd think it was so arduous that they were literally carrying them up Everest on their backs every day.

My parents reared a large family and still managed to keep themselves informed.

Joe Duffy isn't news btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

surely part of that devotion should be to try and make the world they are going to grow up in a slightly better place? or how about staying abreast of news about things happening in the the country that might affect you and your family...
    It could be strongly argued that raising good, well-adjusted children does make the world a better place.
    i never said you needed to have an interest in current affairs or politics(dont put words in my mouth) but ignoring everything that goes on around you i dont understand..... it's definately an i'm alright jack attitude...
    Well I was staying on topic with the OP thats why I was posting about politics and current affairs - I wouldnt want to be putting anything in your mouth (JOKE).
    Lets just call it 'news'.

I think the problem here is negative perception:
    Someone who doesn't follow news - self absorbed ignoramus.
    Someone who actively follows news - gossiping idiot.

I dont agree with either btw.

yes there is a **** of load of negative stories everyday but closing yourself off to everything going on i just dont get...

See again, a lot of people don't actively shut themselves off from whats going on. Its more than likely a case of them simply not having anything left at the end of the day.

Yeah because they're depending on others to make informed choices so they can continue to live their lives oblivious to what is going on around them.

You mentioned the housing crisis. Who would they listen to ?
    Didn't most "professional" economists get it wrong?
    Didn't the leader of the country tell people to go kill themselves?

Who would you be listening to sure?

Far too many people take the stability we enjoy in Ireland totally for granted. Although media is far easier to consume now than in the past, less political stability meant people were better informed.

I don't see what this has to do with anything.
    Someone listening to or not listening to the occasional news bulletin isn't going to change anything one way or another.
    The way people go on about rearing children, you'd think it was so arduous that they were literally carrying them up Everest on their backs every day.

For some people it is.

My parents reared a large family and still managed to keep themselves informed.

Joe Duffy isn't news btw.

I'm not stating it as a time constraint as such. It was more your point on an adult that couldn't be taken seriously.

What should they get? A medal for watching today tonight?

As I said your narrow view and outlook on someone deciding to not to listen to tripe on the radio = oblivious to _everything_ doesn't make any sense.

Joe Duffy is probably more relevant to people's every day lives than most of the other tripe. But I guess with your worldly knowledge you can decide whats important to people and what's not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Probably me.

I do take a general interest but all the things I deeply wanted to change when I was younger - and about which I bored the tits off all and sundry - haven't changed. In fact, they've worsened, if anything.

So to that extent, I don't invest any significant energy in politics or activism, save for trying not to be horrible in my dealings with people in real life.

And I'm always suspicious of people my age that spend too much time railing against this and that and being too involved with political abstracta. In my experience, they usually are emotionally deficient in their real life with other people.

Your Face wrote: »
    It could be strongly argued that raising good, well-adjusted children does make the world a better place.

Well I was staying on topic with the OP thats why I was posting about politics and current affairs - I wouldnt want to be putting anything in your mouth (JOKE).
    Lets just call it 'news'.

I think the problem here is negative perception:
    Someone who doesn't follow news - self absorbed ignoramus.
    Someone who actively follows news - gossiping idiot.

I dont agree with either btw.

See again, a lot of people don't actively shut themselves off from whats going on. Its more than likely a case of them simply not having anything left at the end of the day.

You can raise your kids to be well adjusted but if everyone took only interest in their owns kids and no interest in the world they grow up in then they are doing them a disservice... It's a big bad world out there for them to half to live in eventually...maybe paying some attention to the news may be good for their welfare...
    Anyway I dunno how kids were brought into this, if people use raising kids as an excuse for not knowing what's going on in the country it's a cop out

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭JellieBabie

My ex didn't know what Auschwitz was. I explained it was a concentration camp and he was none the wiser.

Anyway I dunno how kids were brought into this, if people use raising kids as an excuse for not knowing what's going on in the country it's a cop out

There's a lot to be said about not telling you kids what goes on in this country, if I had known, I would have left years ago, and it would have been pretty hard to be motivated to do anything if you knew when you were younger how things really worked.

So no . . . I won't be telling my kids everything about how things really work in the world. It'll be a need to know basis.

My ex didn't know what Auschwitz was. I explained it was a concentration camp and he was none the wiser.

I'd say that got him in the mood....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

"Don't read the news, you're uninformed. Do read the news, you're misinformed." - Marilyn Monroe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Yes, I do know adults who have no interest in whats happening in the world.

If you do refer to any particular world situation this individual - I won't even specify gender - simply ignores you. They're in their 40s.

Many, not all, such people are either "ruthless climbers", Stingey or pure drains in the own right.

Taylor365 wrote: »
    "Don't read the news, you're uninformed. Do read the news, you're misinformed." - Marilyn Monroe

Which begs the question is it better to uninformed or misinformed ?

You can raise your kids to be well adjusted but if everyone took only interest in their owns kids and no interest in the world they grow up in then they are doing them a disservice... It's a big bad world out there for them to half to live in eventually...maybe paying some attention to the news may be good for their welfare...

Why can't we have interest in our neighbors kids?
    Our friends kids
    The kids in the school.

Why is eithier or, our bubble or nothing. Why can't you have lots of interests and be a well balanced individual without consuming who was shot in finglas today? What the nasdaq is running at or what promise some politician has broken.

Do you know much about schools in Yola in Nigeria? How would you ever manage to bring up well balanced kids without that information ?

The news has people afraid of their lives to let their kids walk to bloody school 5 minutes down the road...

Where this notion came from that you need to be clued into a constant stream of world events to function is dumbfounding.

There seems to be some notion if you've no interest in politics/current affairs you've no curiosity with the IQ of a brick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Bob_Marley wrote: »
    Which begs the question is it better to uninformed or misinformed ?
    Personally, the more I listen, the more cynical i become.

:(

Advertisement