Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you know adults who have no interest in whats happening in the world?

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Bob_Marley

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Personally, the more I listen, the more cynical i become.

:(

Knowing what's happening and what's actually going on are two very different things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

He also, at one point, didn't realise there was a general election on. I asked him if he was voting, and he genuinely answered 'in what?'
    So what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Who the hell actually takes time out of their day to sit down and watch the news on an actual television anymore, honestly? I can't remember the last live TV newscast I watched, weeks ago if not more, and I consume more news than most in a general sense.

It's woven into the fabric of my day via my job (clients being exclusively journalists) and the various apps that come with that. Can't scroll through social media without getting a read through of the top headlines either, though facebook seems to be 99% clickbaity Independent articles these days. Social circle would largely be media or political types.

Honestly I'd find it strange to encounter someone that hadn't a dog's notion about global events, didn't know about North Korea shenanigans, or understand Brexit, hadn't heard about the winter olympics, think "Damascus" is some type of cologne. I'd probably judge them a little tbh. I don't expect everyone to be as up-to-the-minute as I tend to be, but how can you just not take an interest in the world around you? It's the easiest conversation starter in most circles, it's one of the basic tenets of self-education IMO. As long as you're not relying on the Daily Fail to inform your views that is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

I just woke up and theres a foot of snow on the ground outside! WTH is going on?!?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

limnam wrote: »
    Watching six news is not exactly a deep insight to the "world" around you.

You can learn/know a lot about the "world" without listening to Joe Duffy et al

So someone goes to work.
    Pays their taxes
    Rares their kids "correctly"
    Law abiding.

If they don't watch six-one or keep up to date on the current FOTM. They're suddenly not to be taking seriously as adult?

For someone so much in the know you have a very narrow view.

You equate listening to Joe Duffy with keeping up with whats going on in the world? Seriously?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Bob_Marley wrote: »
    There's a lot to be said about not telling you kids what goes on in this country, if I had known, I would have left years ago, and it would have been pretty hard to be motivated to do anything if you knew when you were younger how things really worked.

So no . . . I won't be telling my kids everything about how things really work in the world. It'll be a need to know basis.

nobody said you have to tell your kids everything thats going on lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭firstlight

Don't blame anyone for becoming detached from what's going on in the world and Ireland

Pure negativity and depression

Would drain the life out of you

Better of in your own bubble and just getting on with your own life

Just my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

limnam wrote: »
    Why can't we have interest in our neighbors kids?
    Our friends kids
    The kids in the school.

Why is eithier or, our bubble or nothing. Why can't you have lots of interests and be a well balanced individual without consuming who was shot in finglas today? What the nasdaq is running at or what promise some politician has broken.

Do you know much about schools in Yola in Nigeria? How would you ever manage to bring up well balanced kids without that information ?

The news has people afraid of their lives to let their kids walk to bloody school 5 minutes down the road...

Where this notion came from that you need to be clued into a constant stream of world events to function is dumbfounding.

There seems to be some notion if you've no interest in politics/current affairs you've no curiosity with the IQ of a brick.

nigeria?.... actually read what i said.... im talking about your own country.... might be worth it for them to have a mild interest in whats happening outside your locality.... i listened to a discussion on childcare costs last night on the radio while driving.... maybe that might affect you and your kids... maybe there might be changes coming down the road....
    heck maybe there might be a convicted pedophile in your area that youll know nothing about because you refuse to read the news.... it has happened!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I don't think one needs to be well versed in world affairs but it's nice to know a bit that is going on. It also helps as s toppic of discussion with those around you. Unless you want to talk about Kardashians or local gossip.

I also don't subscribe to idea it doesn't make one bit of a difference. Otherwise different political regimes wouldn't work as hard to spin, limit or produce news. In relatively plural, normal functioning society is those who don't follow the news who are the easiest to spin or ignore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

jobless wrote: »
    You can raise your kids to be well adjusted but if everyone took only interest in their owns kids and no interest in the world they grow up in then they are doing them a disservice... It's a big bad world out there for them to half to live in eventually...maybe paying some attention to the news may be good for their welfare...
    Anyway I dunno how kids were brought into this, if people use raising kids as an excuse for not knowing what's going on in the country it's a cop out

I doubt people are raising children just to avoid listening to the news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Yes, me, except the snow. It's great fun.

Watched a program not that long ago about the effect of the media on people.
    It causes more anxiety and brings people down, which in turn increases their spending. I think it was a C4 program but I can honestly say that since I've stopped reading daily newspapers and paying attention to all the sh!te the media peddle I'm much happier. There's stuff you need to be aware of, like the snow coming and general gist of what's going on but to he constantly hammered with bad news and worse news and what if situations it's enough to have you asking what's the point.
    If something is relevant to me I will research it up and down, otherwise it's of no consequence to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Admittedly I know feck all about Brexit and I have never voted in my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Know someone just like that. Masters degree, cushy public sector number, has every aspect of her life buttoned down and knows how to get ahead in life. But if the conversation steers towards Trump, Brexit, domestic news, basically anything outside her own personal bubble, hasn't a scooby doo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

darkdubh wrote: »
    You equate listening to Joe Duffy with keeping up with whats going on in the world? Seriously?

I wouldn't be a listener of his.

But I have heard shows talking about been scammed online etc.

Very educational for people who are not tech savvy. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

jobless wrote: »
    nigeria?.... actually read what i said.... im talking about your own country.... might be worth it for them to have a mild interest in whats happening outside your locality.... i listened to a discussion on childcare costs last night on the radio while driving.... maybe that might affect you and your kids... maybe there might be changes coming down the road....
    heck maybe there might be a convicted pedophile in your area that youll know nothing about because you refuse to read the news.... it has happened!

Ah, you kept saying what's going on in the world.

My next door neighbor might be a pedophile who wasn't convicted.

There might be many non convicted pedophiles in my area.

What will I do? lock the kids up just in case ?

This is the exact sort of rubbish people shouldn't be listening to and why I can't drive to work on the road because it's full of idiots in 4 X 4's "protecting" their kids bringing them for a 5 minute drive to school. Adults you can take seriously.

Come off it.

Advertisement