Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Ireland ever win an Olympic medal in a shooting discipline

Options
  • 25-02-2018 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭

Just watched CH 4 news and heard that each medal won by Britain in the winter Olympics cost 6 million.

With a price tag like that do you think shooting sports will ever be funded enough for Ireland to win an Olympic medal in any shooting discipline.

I'd say not, training alone would cost 10s of thousands.

Answers on a post card to Bunny Carr, PO Box........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Technically we did... we just weren't Ireland yet: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055331727

Also, come on. Two world championships medals and a wheelbarrow full of World Cup and Continental Championships medals aren't good enough for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

It's not about good enough it's about what seems to be a massive investment and backing that's required based on that news report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

The irish have been at the top table in shooting for years. The America vs Ireland competition on Dollymount strand in 1874, for instance. In front of a crowd of 33,000 people the teams shot muzzle loaders out to a range of 1,000 yards, the Americans winning by just 3 points.

http://www.lrml.org/reference/matchriflehistory/

As for the olympics, i get the feeling the people who organise the games would like to see the back of the shooting sports anyway, with the exception of airguns events anyway.

*That* I don't think we'll ever see. The Sports Council's Carding Grant scheme is now and has always been more a reward for results than support for training despite always claiming to be the latter. On top of which, I never saw any evidence that they really understood what our training is like, what the costs are like, or what would be needed to support us.

There was some chancing of arms a long while back which didn't help matters any mind you. Isn't there always in our sport? But even without that, we never seemed to even get up to redheaded stepchild status from them, not when I was watching. I'd like to think it's gotten better; I hear good things. I'm just in a cynical mood this decade is all.

BTW, it should be noted that despite most of us thinking NTSA and ICPSA for olympic shooting in Ireland, the MPAI have done spectacularly well of late, with two athletes in the last games who've continued to do really well internationally. So we have three groups who could produce a medal...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

If Jamaica could and do put a bobsleigh team together...Anything is possible.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Didn't we win Silver in the Rowing at the last Olympics without any investment?
    There was a scramble to throw a lick of paint on the clubhouse, before RTE descended with their cameras to the wilds of Cork to do interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Olympic shooting disciplines are one of the hardest sports to qualify in.

Advertisement