Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Beast from the East

Options
  • 26-02-2018 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Would anyone know if you would you need to be doing something for protecting garlic with the temperatures that are being forecast? i know a frost is beneficial but i don't want to lose the crop either!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Provided it hasn't too much top growth, sub zero temperatures for a week or so would do no damage at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Lepidoptera

I'm hoping my garlic is ok. I forgot about it before the snow, but there was a good 2-3" top growth on most of it. Still covered in snow now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

My garlic had a good 10cm growth before the snow and is in a sorry state at the moment, am really hoping it will recover as the weather warms up again. My tulips looked like a lost cause after the snow melted but are looking far more perky this afternoon so maybe all isn't lost.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Lepidoptera

The snow finally melted off the garlic and it also looks in very sorry state. Hopefully it will recover.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

You mean it looks scorched?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

My garlic was happy out... is it just floppy?

I find you get way better bulb division with a good cold spell this time of year. Massive bulbs then later

Advertisement