Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heaslip Retiring / Appreciation Thread [MOD WARNING: POST 1]

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

tototoe wrote: »
    Not the point.
    I thought I knew what the point was, but now I'm just confused. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

More from Girvan Dempsey on Heaslips struggle to get back...seems his retirement caught then all by surprise?

http://rugbylad.ie/leinster-detail-just-how-hard-jamie-heaslip-worked-to-try-get-back/

More from Girvan Dempsey on Heaslips struggle to get back...seems his retirement caught then all by surprise?
    I think you need to subscribe to Thomond2006's newsletter. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I think you need to subscribe to Thomond2006's newsletter. :(

V Curious now, If you could hit me up Thomond2006, That'd be great! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

joecass123 wrote: »
    V Curious now, If you could hit me up Thomond2006, That'd be great! :cool:

Can i also subscribe to this newsletter?

PMs sent on behalf of Thomond. Just because it shouldn't just be him telling people. We all need to pass the info around.

Murray Kinsella quoted Joe Scmidt in full on the subject of Jamie Heaslip. It's probably the best summation of the player I've seen:
    Inevitably there are some real pressure points in games and Jamie doesn’t really do pressure points, he does opportunities, His outlook on how to solve problems was that ‘this is great, let’s get a solution here’.

His calm on the pitch when you have got young players is really important and I think we’ve got Pete [O'Mahony] and CJ [Stander] starting to extend that to the likes of the Jack Conans and Dan Leavys.

Josh van der Flier has it all on is own, he is a young man, he is calm and just loves any opportunity, any challenge on the pitch. But Jamie, he sees all those things as challenges.

He also sees the game incredibly well. I know he got World Try of the Year – if you look at that from the rear angle, he is almost last up out of a ruck on our 22, the ball goes to the edge, there is some interplay between Simon Zebo, Jared Payne, Fergus McFadden gets involved and then who’s tracking right up the pitch exactly where we need him to be? That’s him.

He does see the game very well and he’s just had that big engine that allowed him not just see it but to put himself in a position to contribute to it and that was always crucial.

He was incredibly good in the rolling maul, if he had a corner he was tough to shift. He was really good at leading the scrum and I know leading the scrum when you are the back of it doesn’t quite make sense but for us, it’s still a really important position.

There was just those aspects to his game. He would jump for us at the front of the lineout quite often and again was very skillful there, very reliable handling-wise.

That ability across the full spectrum of what’s required in a player… his decision-making in defence. You’ve got youngsters seeing the game late and then making the decision to catch up.

Jamie would see the game and he could kind of predict well enough what would happen next so that he could get in a position to contribute either side of the ball whether it’s scoring that try or getting back and making that tackle on Stuart Hogg [in 2015].

He had a habit. People say, ‘jeepers, Jamie was lucky there.’ Not according to Jamie, not according to us because you get lucky sometimes – he managed to have a knack of it.

That probably becomes an ability to read the game more than luck.

I guess I’ve ended up coaching Jamie – unfortunately for Jamie – for over half his professional career, so he’s had to have me chipping away at him. I think the best thing about Jamie is that he chipped away at himself, he chiselled himself, he made himself into one of the best players that I think exists in world rugby.

Against Scotland in the Six Nations win on Super Sunday [in 2015], his tackle on Stuart Hogg – we don’t win the Six Nations without moments like that, where he doesn’t give anything up.

He’s always been in the leadership group, in Leinster as well, captained the side a couple of times, continuously supporting Paulie when Paul O’Connell was captain, supported Rory Best equally.

It was great because he was so often an 80-minute player. I think in 95 Test matches, 72 of them were 80 minutes. That is massive in the modern day.

It was great to have that security. The hooker might often come out after 60 minutes and Jamie was there in those last quarters, those last quarters that probably haven’t been nailed on, Jamie would boss those last quarters and do a good job of it.

For all sorts of reasons, I think he’s a loss to Irish rugby. I know Jamie, he prepares incredibly well so I’ve no doubt he will make a success of another career beyond his rugby one.

God damn it.

Thomond, #me too.

Murray Kinsella quoted Joe Scmidt in full on the subject of Jamie Heaslip. It's probably the best summation of the player I've seen:

That's an excellent quote from Joe, very thoughtful and revealing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Most of my favorite moment, I think it was the first Sexton try v Northamption

If you watch Heaslip he blocks the Northampton player and Sexton can then score, if he didn't do that little block then I think the whole game was gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭irelandrover

PMs sent on behalf of Thomond. Just because it shouldn't just be him telling people. We all need to pass the info around.

Any chance you can send a PM to me about this?

Any chance someone else can take up the burden? ;)

I'm getting flood control on my PMs :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭dubal

Pm here too please

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dunston

PM me please appreciate it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Someone should automate this

• Advertisement

Someone should automate this

Ok.
    They had some poorly researched article where they commented on the death of a fan or something (it was a high profile terminal illness case, where the fan in question had been raising money). Anyway, ultimately the person in question had not yet died. It was a bloody awful thing to do.

Is what has been openly posted on the forum before about that site. Sufficient? Have they also done something else as bad?

What the feck is this PM? I want PM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Can someone PM me and let me know what a tracker mortgage is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

What the feck is this PM? I want PM

You can't handle the PM!!!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Can you or someone else send it onto me as well?

Pm please :-)

Still waiting on whatever this is

Still waiting on whatever this is
    This really shouldn't be clogging up this thread. PM's sent.

Everyone who has asked has been PM'd. If anyone else wants to know, PM one of those requesters (not me, I've done my bit ;)) and try and keep the thread for the brilliance and wondrousness that was Jamie Heaslip the erstwhile rugby player. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jamesjohn70

Sad to hear but not entirely unexpected. 

All the best to him.

ali

before I ask for the PM,

can I ask those who have asked and received it

is it worth it?

BBDBB wrote: »
    before I ask for the PM,

is it worth it?
    It's a reason not to frequent the rugbyl*d website. If you needed one. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It's a reason not to frequent the rugbyl*d website. If you needed one. :)

Is the reason that it’s sh1t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

To get back to Heaslip... mildly surprised this hasn't been posted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Gotta think ROG would have been taken off these days actually.

Can't remember if it was posted but don't care. Just saw it linked from that video - I love this try

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

PM?

PM?

:confused:
    This really shouldn't be clogging up this thread. PM's sent.

Everyone who has asked has been PM'd. If anyone else wants to know, PM one of those requesters (not me, I've done my bit ;)) and try and keep the thread for the brilliance and wondrousness that was Jamie Heaslip the erstwhile rugby player. :)

before I ask for the PM,

is it worth it?

I thought it was some secret about Heaslip's retirement. Not nearly as juicy.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

FOMO. PM. PLZ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Enough about the PM folks...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Some big praise from DOC

His training was always top end. He came in and he wasn’t just happy with the standard he found around him. He pushed it out a bit, and guys like that are valued. Every session, he was competitive. I can safely say that he never wasted a session.

Jamie came in and he knew he was a winner. The rest of us were hoping we could be.

People might think that he came across as brash or arrogant, but that was him. It has led to the different type of Irish player we have now; the player who expects to win. The dressing room before him was hoping to win, and wanted to win, whereas he came in and said, ‘we’re going to win’.

Training with him, and what he was able to get through was incredible. But he had a mental edge in terms of how far he could push himself and a non-Irish mindset of backing himself. The rest of us say, ‘we’ll go out and give it a lash’, whereas he said, ‘No, I’m ****ing well good enough’.

He was the changing of the guard. I feel he hasn’t been getting enough credit.

Ye might think it’s generic bollocks when players say they want to leave the jersey in a better place, but he raised the standards and they’ve become the norm.

Everyone who comes in now has to think like that. I definitely think that he was a game-changer in terms of what he did physically and mentally. He pushed it on fitness-wise, and he gave it a mental edge, too.

It’s an un-Irish thing to say, to back yourself, but he did so because he could produce the goods.

Jamie is one of the guys who has changed Irish Rugby for good.

https://www.balls.ie/rugby/donncha-ocallaghan-jamie-heaslip-384287

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Clegg wrote: »
    AnneFrank wrote: »
    he was always full of it, no doubt we'll have to listen to him now as a pundit

If he was "full of it", which I don't think he ever was, it's because for near enough to a decade he was one of the best rugby players on the planet.
    How dare he be an articulate successful man, he should be ashamed. His confidence is a disgrace!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

AnneFrank wrote: »
    he was always full of it, no doubt we'll have to listen to him now as a pundit

Well he has 10 major tournament winners medals
    Pro12 x3, HEC x3, 6n x3 and a Challenge cup

100 test caps

Full of what precisely? He has a drawer full of winners medals.

Will we see Heaslip rolled out for a farewell this afternoon?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

Will we see Heaslip rolled out for a farewell this afternoon?

I'd say not, if it was going to happen today the IRFU would have announced it?

I'd say not, if it was going to happen today the IRFU would have announced it?
    Yeah. And to be honest, I'd say he'd absolutely hate that. His Twitter feed shows he's becoming a bit of a fan already with retweets of videos from schools games etc. :)

Yeah. And to be honest, I'd say he'd absolutely hate that. His Twitter feed shows he's becoming a bit of a fan already with retweets of videos from schools games etc. :)

This is the bit that makes me think it's less likely. No doubt he'll get a Leinster send off but the Aviva might be a step too far.

I dare say he will be back at some point in the future with a microphone in his hand as a pundit at some point, give it til next season though, coming to terms with his enforced retirement cant be easy on the lad

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I dare say he will be back at some point in the future with a microphone in his hand as a pundit at some point, give it til next season though, coming to terms with his enforced retirement cant be easy on the lad

He’s said before he has zero interest in punditry. He reckoned he might be willing to do some podcast work if anything but he’d probably stay out of it completely.

molloyjh wrote: »
    He’s said before he has zero interest in punditry. He reckoned he might be willing to do some podcast work if anything but he’d probably stay out of it completely.
    I'd say the relaxed style of The 42 rugby show would suit him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

he'll do a rugby rap podcast, where he raps the whole time about rugby

CatFromHue wrote: »
    he'll do a rugby rap podcast, where he raps the whole time about rugby

That would be perfect just for how many people would hate it.

molloyjh wrote: »

He is involved in IT.....he talked about it before, he has a company. They invest in young talent, not companies. Specfic people who they think have a big future

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

He’s sponsored by Bank of Ireland who sponsor the cup and I’d say they’re looking for some sort of return

Advertisement