Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overpaying Fixed Rate Mortgage

Options
  • 26-02-2018 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hello, I know you can overpay 10% per month on a fixed rate mortgage but can you tell me if the overpayment comes off the capital or the interest + capital please? Cheers. 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi elainers,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Overpayments are taken off the capital and although they don't have an impact on the interest rate charged on the mortgage, it will mean you pay less interest over time as it's reducing the capital owed on the account.

Thanks,
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭elainers

Thanks for that. So if my repayment is €1,121pm and I pay €1,233 instead, will the extra €112 go straight to the capital? Or do I need to instruct BOI to do that? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

elainers wrote: »
    Thanks for that. So if my repayment is €1,121pm and I pay €1,233 instead, will the extra €112 go straight to the capital? Or do I need to instruct BOI to do that? Thanks.

You'll need to contact the mortgage team to set this up and how the overpayment is treated is covered off at that stage. The team are available on 016113333.

Thanks
    Tara

Advertisement