Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EBS Fixed Rates

• 26-02-2018 11:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,231 ✭✭✭✭

I am coming to end of 3 years fixed with ebs (3.65% rate).
    They have offered me 3.15% (1-3 years) 3.25% (4-5 years).

I must admit I am tempted to go for 5 years.....anyone any recommendations? What would you do in my position?

Are there any other really good deals with mortgage providers floating about?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There's plenty of threads here discussing current trends in interest rates so I'm not going to go over that ground but if I was you I'd go for the 5 year deal. But shop around and see what you can get and ask any prospective lender if they will assist with the legal fees involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 PUDDINHEAD

I heard EBS should be making an announcement regarding their rates in the next week or two.

See what happens there first i would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

PUDDINHEAD wrote: »
    I heard EBS should be making an announcement regarding their rates in the next week or two.

See what happens there first i would say.

The OP should hang around waiting for them to increase their rates?

Or what do think they are going to announce?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,231 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

coylemj wrote: »
    The OP should hang around waiting for them to increase their rates?

Or what do think they are going to announce?
    They might cut the rates?
    BOI seem to have the best rate atm 3% for 5 years
    2% cashback then another 1% cashback after 5 years....

I believe there will be a rate cut announced. Whether its variable, LTV variable, fixed who knows but i'm with EBS myself and have my eyes peeled. i'm hoping to fix soon but ideally with an overpayment facility allowed like with UB,KBC which EBS don't offer at the moment.

• Advertisement

PUDDINHEAD wrote: »
    I believe there will be a rate cut announced. Whether its variable, LTV variable, fixed who knows but i'm with EBS myself and have my eyes peeled. i'm hoping to fix soon but ideally with an overpayment facility allowed like with UB,KBC which EBS don't offer at the moment.
    I might hold off for a week or two not due to expire til August...might talk to BOI in the meantime.

I had a chat with BOI....the 3% for 5 years is very tempting plus the 2% cashback would be 2800 euro
    So that would cover legal fees and the valuation and have 1500/1600 euro left over......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

KBC offering 10 year fixed at 2.95% with current account for 50% loan to value and 3k cashback.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 kinsy4

Beware BOI variable rate is 4.5 ... one of the highest in the market . Once you come off the 3% fixedrate you could be stung badly . It’s a switchers market now but this wasn’t the way 5 years ago so need-to consider will this option be available in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

Hello,

I cant find the info even though I know I have it somewhere..

On a EBS variable rate. Drew down the mortgage in November 2017 but also availed of the 2% cash back. Does anyone know how long the 2% cash back from EBS 'ties' you to them?

Do they chase the clawback ?

Looking at some attractive fixed term rates in other banks.

Cheers in advance.

• Advertisement

There is no tie to EBS or clawback, you could leave them the next day if you wanted. In theory they expect people to stay with them for their competitive rates. I switched to them in Oct 2017 and will leave in coming months if they don't offer better rates...Some banks taking switchers may want you to be with your current mortgage provider 6 months or 12 months possibly....you could check that out first

Well it took longer than i had expected but EBS have dropped Fixed rates for 1 to 5 year terms to 3% which is pretty good.
    Thinking of going for the 5 year myself.

Advertisement