Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job offered then withdrawn

Options
  • 26-02-2018 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

I'm wondering if I have any options or if i've just been hard done by here.

On the 5th of Febuary I was offered a job with Bank of Ireland to take a role as Welcome advisor and that today (the 26th) would be my start date. Now this was done over the phone and then I was sent a docusign of everything they wanted me to upload. I did this and heard nothing about start time or uniform. So I emailed the person who i'd been in contact with and whom had interviewed and offered me the job, just to ask about those 2 things.

I quickly got a quick email response asking if I could confirm I had a level 8 degree.

I responded that I hadn't, my entire cover letter had been about how I didn't have a degree but in a role such as this I felt my 12yrs customer service experience triumps a degree and asked if this would affect me getting this position. I mean the first thing I was asked in the interview was "talk us through your cv" to which I responded "I start working straight out of school".

I was told i'd get an answer by the end of the week. Now keep this in mind, i've handed in my notice with my current employer and unemployed if this falls through.

I get no response from them last week, so 4pm friday I email and get an out of office response. Then today I get an email saying "sorry" basically.

My old job have offered me hours for this week but that's all I know, how i'm set up after this is very hazy. I should be probably be grateful, but the job is horrendous and on what is suppose to be the coldest week in the last 35yrs i'll be spending 43hrs of it standing outside, and I don't know if I have a job after it, not great communication in the company would be an understatement.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

In my experience, you should never hand in your notice till you have received your contract in the post. Once it's signed, you then resign from current job.

BOI have no legal obligation till they issue a contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Joffrey

BIt of a harsh lesson learnt. I suppose when I got congratulations over the phone and in an email I thought it was mine. Life in ruins over their lack of doing their due diligence

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

They did their due diligence. It's why you didn't get the job.

It should have been noticed in the interview. But they clearly state you must have a level 8 degree in their job offers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Joffrey wrote:
    BIt of a harsh lesson learnt. I suppose when I got congratulations over the phone and in an email I thought it was mine. Life in ruins over their lack of doing their due diligence

It's only a job your life is not in ruins. Can you not ask your old employer for your job?

RossieMan wrote: »
    They did their due diligence. It's why you didn't get the job.

It should have been noticed in the interview. But they clearly state you must have a level 8 degree in their job offers.

My cover letter and interview both times I clearly stated I had no degree but 12yrs of customer experience. They offered me job over the phone, told me when I was starting and how much notice I had to give my current employer so I could be available, email congratulations with documents of address, passport etc to send in, an email back after it was completed that all criteria had been filled etc.

I would say they didn't to their job properly.

I have rent and insurance to pay and potential unemployment, it's a bit of a big deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

You should phone the person again and explain that you have already resigned on the basis that you resigned your job because of their offer.

You have been completely open and honest about your qualifications. Given the role, I'd fail to see why a level 8 is required and you should ask about getting an exemption from that requirement.

In my sector nearly all jobs are advertised as requiring either a degree or equivalent experience. Was this advertised as such also? If so and you have an email from them confirming the job offer then you've a strong argument to take up with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Joffrey wrote:
    I would say they didn't to their job properly.

All phone calls are generally recorded. Check if this is the case. You can also request a copy of it,

Thanks for the responses, my anger at this has died down quiet a lot. It's been very depressing after telling people about my new role and now having to explain what's happened. I've been given work hours this week, I imagine they'll be happy to keep me on, job is horrific though, 43 hours outside in this weather this week instead of starting off a new career.

Believe me, a job in the bank is not all it's cracked up to be. Count yourself lucky.

I work in retail security. Standing outside in the cold and get abuse yelled at me by teenagers and 5 nights a week I get home around 10.30pm......I would of loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

I actually heard an extremely similar story about someone else starting s position in a bank in the new year. I must check the details as I think it was boi also!

The grass isn't always greener. You've no idea what the job actually is until you do it.

Dealing with people's money is very different than you think.

I'll leave it at that, good luck with the job search.

I've heard from someone I know in citibank, that they were talking to someone in BOI and they told them they were working in the job 2 weeks before being asked if they had a degree, or to provide it, i'm not sure which one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Joffrey wrote:
    I work in retail security. Standing outside in the cold and get abuse yelled at me by teenagers and 5 nights a week I get home around 10.30pm......I would of loved it.

I would contact them in writing and ask for a written explanation as to why the offer has been retracted and reasons for same, ask for a copy of the recorded phone call and depending on response, there is a method of obtaining this phone call, Google search and you will find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Joffrey wrote:

All you can do is keep applying. It is easier to go from one job to another, harder if you are on the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭cnoc

Joffrey wrote: »
    I've heard from someone I know in citibank, that they were talking to someone in BOI and they told them they were working in the job 2 weeks before being asked if they had a degree, or to provide it, i'm not sure which one.

What was the outcome?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

I quickly got a quick email response asking if I could confirm I had a level 8 degree.

I responded that I hadn't, my entire cover letter had been about how I didn't have a degree but in a role such as this I felt my 12yrs customer service experience triumps a degree and asked if this would affect me getting this position. I mean the first thing I was asked in the interview was "talk us through your cv" to which I responded "I start working straight out of school".

I was told i'd get an answer by the end of the week. Now keep this in mind, i've handed in my notice with my current employer and unemployed if this falls through.

I get no response from them last week, so 4pm friday I email and get an out of office response. Then today I get an email saying "sorry" basically.

There in lies your shortcoming: Since 2016 or a lot of companies like BOI seem to be using Level 8 degree as pre requisite. I don't have a level 8 degree either if that makes you feel any better. This has been going on since 2016. You might have decades of relevant work experience as well - I got a certificate for having complete d 10 years in in a while ago. Still feel lackbf the level 8 dgree though.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Merrymonday

Don't give up. You were honest with them from the start. They made the mistake, not you. You did well to get the interview and get offered the job. Plenty make it to interview stage and then mess up the interview. With all your experience there should be a job out there for you. I would call back the person who offered you the job and let them know how this has messed you about. Be polite but don't let it go. What have you got to lose? If they can't help you ask to speak to their manager. It's tricky dealing with big organisations because they have their procedures to follow and boxes to tick. I'd say half their older senior managers don't have degrees! You never know, even if they can't give you this job they might have another post they could offer you instead. Keep bugging them. That's no way to treat people.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

Ireland is pretty bad for this kind of nonsense - as if a level 8 degree is necessary for a customer service role. The fact that they don't stipulate any subject area makes it even worse. Sorry to hear about this OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

Simona1986 wrote:
    I actually heard an extremely similar story about someone else starting s position in a bank in the new year. I must check the details as I think it was boi also!

Just checked this out and it was actually AIB, otherwise a near identical story!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the responses, been very busy. I'd post a screenshot because it actually states "as discussed by phone, we are delighted to offer you" which is at least a verbal agreement. But I don't want any names in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Thanks for the responses, been very busy. I'd post a screenshot because it actually states "as discussed by phone, we are delighted to offer you" which is at least a verbal agreement. But I don't want any names in it.

and you were given something to sign electronically?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

august12 wrote: »
    All phone calls are generally recorded. Check if this is the case. You can also request a copy of it,

To what end?

No contract, no job. I'm not sure what the OP can do with a recording at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Ireland is pretty bad for this kind of nonsense - as if a level 8 degree is necessary for a customer service role. The fact that they don't stipulate any subject area makes it even worse. Sorry to hear about this OP.

The actual content of the degree really matters very little. Why employers look for it, is that it's a marker to show that the rote learning of second level has been beat out of you. Making the transition between spoon-fed and self-driven education is a big leap for some people, and the degree just exists as proof for those guys not specifying a subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,247 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

CruelCoin wrote: »
    it's a marker to show that the rote learning of second level has been beat out of you. Making the transition between spoon-fed and self-driven education is a big leap for some people, and the degree just exists as proof for those guys not specifying a subject.

You'd be surprised how many degrees there are now that you can easily get through on rote learning.

I'd be contacting them OP and telling them you have given in notice, try get talking to the people who interviewed you, chances are they want you but someone in hr went over your file and saw you didn't check on particular box, they should be able to get around it if they really want you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Having been sent correspondence stating that you had been offered the job, surely there must be some comeback on the bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Having been sent correspondence stating that you had been offered the job, surely there must be some comeback on the bank?
    Why would there be comeback on the bank? Even if there was a signed contract in place, there wouldn't be any comeback. He'd be on probation, meaning he could be let go for any reason (or none). At best, he'd get a week's notice.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

28064212 wrote: »
    Why would there be comeback on the bank? Even if there was a signed contract in place, there wouldn't be any comeback. He'd be on probation, meaning he could be let go for any reason (or none). At best, he'd get a week's notice.

Seriously sh1t situation then eh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

BattleCorp wrote: »
    If your current job doesn't keep you on after handing in your notice I'd look for legal advice on whether the email could be considered binding on the bank. It might be pointless anyway because even if you could legally force the bank to honour their offer they could still dismiss you for any (or even no reason) within the first year until you would come under the protection of the unfair dismissals act.

I think it is pretty poor conduct by the bank,but hey, given the revelations of the bank bailout inquires, miselling of mortgage protection insurance, and tracker mortgage scandals I wouldnt expect much integrity of any financial institution.

Advertisement