Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job offered then withdrawn

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Can you officially in writing appeal the decision, to the hr department, the brank manager, anyone else. I know I was interviews for a position with a public body. 4 people where appointed and the person that was number 6 appealed. It held the whole process up.about 3 months. They got moved from number 6 to number 5, still did them no good.
    I wouldn't take this lying down, are BOI staff covered by a union, they may be able to.do something. You say they offered you the job and told you what notice to give...therefore they have to be responsible for you leaving your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

A lot of posters are insinuating that op has some case here when he hasn’t.

Yes it’s a pretty **** situation and poor form that they offered the job only to revoke the offer. But that’s it done. Really op would have little rights until at least a year in employment never mind some wishy washy conversation on the phone.
    OP compounded the problem by jumping the gun with their current employer, an unfortunate mistake. Perhaps OP can go back to their employer and withdraw their notice, this has a better chance than harassing the bank who have no responsibility to OP whatsoever.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

OP, did you do the interview with Bank of Ireland or was the job actually with CPL who contract for BOI?
    If it was CPL then your beef is with them isn't it?

_Brian wrote: »
    A lot of posters are insinuating that op has some case here when he hasn’t.

Really op would have little rights until at least a year in employment never mind some wishy washy conversation on the phone.
    OP compounded the problem by jumping the gun with their current employer,

Best of luck.

But they
    Offered him the job
    Gave him a start date
    TOLD him what notice to give his employer
    And then put it in writing
    They never said this was provisional.subject to references or qualifications checking out

Legal or not he has every right to.be agrieved

• Registered Users Posts: 11,949 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Just heard the recording of your interview on Joe Duffy and you came across very well.

It’s an absolute joke they expect people with a level 8 degree to work for 23k.

And the job sounds a bit of dead end job so you might be best off out of it.

Most customer service jobs Pay a fair bit more than that.

Good luck op.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

tringle wrote: »
    But they
    Offered him the job
    Gave him a start date
    TOLD him what notice to give his employer
    And then put it in writing
    They never said this was provisional.subject to references or qualifications checking out

Legal or not he has every right to.be agrieved
    What if the contract had been signed, he shows up on the first day, and at the end of it, they say "it's not working out, we're not going to keep you on"? Would he have a right to be aggrieved in that case?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 23,537 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Mr.S wrote: »
    RossieMan wrote: »
    They did their due diligence. It's why you didn't get the job.

It should have been noticed in the interview. But they clearly state you must have a level 8 degree in their job offers.

Yes and 10+ years of CS experience easily trumps a degree. Requirements on a job spec aren’t usually followed down to the T.

Very, very poor form on BoI’s part.
    It doesn’t.
    As there’s no standard.

28064212 wrote: »
    What if the contract had been signed, he shows up on the first day, and at the end of it, they say "it's not working out, we're not going to keep you on"? Would he have a right to be aggrieved in that case?

Yes because there should have been terms of notice or a probation period.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

tringle wrote: »
    Yes because there should have been terms of notice or a probation period.
    There is no minimum required notice if you've been working for an employer less than 13 weeks. 13 weeks to 2 years, minimum notice is 1 week.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Joffrey

I was on liveline yesterday talking about it. Here's one e-mail I got off bank of ireland

All parties have completed xxxxxxxxxx - Offer Letter.

Hi,

As discussed by phone, we're delighted to confirm that you have been successful in your application. Enclosed is our Offer Letter for your attention.

Please note: No Contract of Employment will issue until all requested documents have been submitted to us.

Regards,
    Bank of Ireland Recruitment Team

I don't see any point in me pursuing this, it was only a 6 month probationary contract and I don't know what the best case scenario could realistically be. It just is bad from on their behalf. They asked me my notice period and if I would be good to start on the 26th. When I emailed them about my start time and uniform etc, then and only then did they ask if I had a degree. I replied that my whole cover letter and interview had been about my customer service experience over a degree. The person I was in contact with said "sorry this was only brought to my attention last week" so after they knew I wasn't getting the job they just left it until I mailed them for details and long after I handed my notice in, I could have been left unemployed.

But anyway I got my old job back, a week of working outside in this weather!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

So let me get this straight - an obviously smart and hard working young man who presumably beat off lots of Level 8 degree holders you are fighting hard to get a crappy job that will slowly destroy your soul - that pays barely over minimum wage?

You have seen how they "care" for their employees already and how you would be treated if you got this job. And they probably have a team of HR people telling everyone how wonderful and lucky they are to work with them.

Forget about them. Go to night or part time classes - change jobs if the hours in your current job don't suit - and get yourself some sort of technical qualification or a trade qualification - if you are good with people get into a sales role and you will make way way more than 23K and be a lot happier as a result. Hell pretty much anything pays more than 23K if you have any sort of qualifications or experience. OR if you are of an entrepreneurial bent, do that instead. The world is your oyster, even if it doesn't look like that now.

And you've learned the lesson early - banks are terrible full stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Took redundancy after 6 years with bank of ireland, held every role from call centre worker to branch loan officer, worked my way up, and I never had a sense of progression in there. You are lucky, horrible place that has no value for the staff they employ!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

I do know it's standard for companies to request ID, copies of qualifications etc. before contract is issued so they probably are covered but it's still a total shambles of communication from the HR dept to leave any impression on the candidate that they 'had' the job being told of start dates. Unacceptable.

You dodged a bullet. I've a close friend stuck in there and all they say the company is totally disorganised with alot of problems and it's all about is cost cutting. Lots of talented staff leaving/looking to get out due to poor pay structures/career progression prospects - in the improving economy that job would have been a stopgap not a career

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Merrymonday

Joffrey wrote: »
    I was on liveline yesterday talking about it. Here's one e-mail I got off bank of ireland

All parties have completed xxxxxxxxxx - Offer Letter.

Hi,

As discussed by phone, we're delighted to confirm that you have been successful in your application. Enclosed is our Offer Letter for your attention.

Please note: No Contract of Employment will issue until all requested documents have been submitted to us.

Regards,
    Bank of Ireland Recruitment Team

I don't see any point in me pursuing this, it was only a 6 month probationary contract and I don't know what the best case scenario could realistically be. It just is bad from on their behalf. They asked me my notice period and if I would be good to start on the 26th. When I emailed them about my start time and uniform etc, then and only then did they ask if I had a degree. I replied that my whole cover letter and interview had been about my customer service experience over a degree. The person I was in contact with said "sorry this was only brought to my attention last week" so after they knew I wasn't getting the job they just left it until I mailed them for details and long after I handed my notice in, I could have been left unemployed.

But anyway I got my old job back, a week of working outside in this weather!
    Have you considered applying for clerical officer in the public/civil service? You don't need a degree and with all your customer service experience you're just what they are looking for. I think there's a new campaign starting soon. Pay is not great to start off with but you have other benefits like flexi time, job security etc. and you could combine it with further study if you wanted to. It's a long process to apply and can take from a couple of months to years to complete depending in how you do in their tests but it's easy enough to apply. Check out publicjobs.ie for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

a Job as a 'Welcome Advisor' - is that the poor employee who stands between the doors and all the automated services, apologising constantly for the fact that the bank couldn't care less about its customers and wants you to interact only with a machine? And they require a Level 8 degree for that????? Ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

My cover letter and interview both times I clearly stated I had no degree but 12yrs of customer experience. They offered me job over the phone, told me when I was starting and how much notice I had to give my current employer so I could be available, email congratulations with documents of address, passport etc to send in, an email back after it was completed that all criteria had been filled etc.

I would say they didn't to their job properly.

I have rent and insurance to pay and potential unemployment, it's a bit of a big deal.

Based on the above

I don’t blame you
    In my opinion I would have handed in my notice too based on the above
    Let’s be realistic here I think most people would

Have you considered applying for clerical officer in the public/civil service? You don't need a degree and with all your customer service experience you're just what they are looking for. I think there's a new campaign starting soon. Pay is not great to start off with but you have other benefits like flexi time, job security etc. and you could combine it with further study if you wanted to. It's a long process to apply and can take from a couple of months to years to complete depending in how you do in their tests but it's easy enough to apply. Check out publicjobs.ie for more info.

Yeah I have applied for those positions, nothing yet.

Gone for a few positions with AIB, they only require a decent leaving cert for some roles.

I'd of loved that job, I work doing outdoor security. It's horrific, anything would be an improvment. I was working 2 jobs previous simultaneously to this, one in a funeral home and one doing doorwork 3 nights a week. I did the latter because the funeral home only guaranteed 30hrs a week, but sometimes i'd get home at 5am and be up at 6.30am to go wash a hearse and was burnt out. This job seemed like the wage would keep me in accomadation and a decent wage and not be so bad. It's a nightmare.

Gone for a few positions with AIB, they only require a decent leaving cert for some roles.

I'd of loved that job, I work doing outdoor security. It's horrific, anything would be an improvment. I was working 2 jobs previous simultaneously to this, one in a funeral home and one doing doorwork 3 nights a week. I did the latter because the funeral home only guaranteed 30hrs a week, but sometimes i'd get home at 5am and be up at 6.30am to go wash a hearse and was burnt out. This job seemed like the wage would keep me in accomadation and a decent wage and not be so bad. It's a nightmare.

Was the job with BOI actually through CPL?

No it was internal. I applied throught the BOI website and interviewed in one of their branches.

• Advertisement

No it was internal. I applied throught the BOI website and interviewed in one of their branches.

Right! A lot of staff seem to be employed through CPL for non-branch roles. Obviously it's different for branch staff.
    Good luck anyway, you seem to have a strong work ethic anyway, which will serve you well.
    If you want to get out of jobs such as you're in now, it's no harm to try and do a night course or something. You can even do online courses through The Institute of Banking.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Merrymonday

Keep looking. You never know what might come up. I applied for the public service almost 2 years ago and have just now passed my interview and am waiting to be offered a post. There are plenty of vacancies in the Dublin area so if you applied you're in with a good chance. It's a long process but at least there's a pretty decent job at the end of it.

Advertisement