Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

names of 80's rock venue in cork

Options
  • 26-02-2018 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭

Hi, trying to detail some music history notes here - i recall a venue in cork around 1989 onwards that was an upstairs medium sized bar / hall that various rock / indie bands used to play - if anyone can remember ?

it wasnt sir henrys i know for sure

many thanks if you can .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭shnaek

Yeah, I remember the place - can't think of the name of it now but I'm sure I have an old flier somewhere - I'll try dig it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

The Forum or later it was called the Crow bar ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

The Forum?
    It was behind Henry's and they used to open it as one big venue for bank holiday weekends.
    Nancy Spain's was another good live venue!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

De Lacy House?

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Sounds like Nancy Spains or the Phoenix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Or Fast Eddys.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Any clues on location or who might have played there?

Nancy's wasn't upstairs.
    Forum was pretty big rather than medium sized.
    Phoenix was tiny upstairs.
    I don't remember Fast Eddie's doing gigs - I remember The Shelter on Tucky Street but it was downstairs.
    Could be De Lacy House.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Any clues on location or who might have played there?

Nancy's wasn't upstairs.
    Forum was pretty big rather than medium sized.
    Phoenix was tiny upstairs.
    I don't remember Fast Eddie's doing gigs - I remember The Shelter on Tucky Street but it was downstairs.
    Could be De Lacy House.

Nancy's venue was upstairs out the back alright. Spent many an evening there.

Nancy's venue was upstairs out the back alright. Spent many an evening there.

It was ground floor level.
    The alleyway sloped up, so there was a few steps up to the venue from the entrance way but it was very much ground floor. There was nothing underneath it.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭sylvanb

The Underground?

• Advertisement

sylvanb wrote: »
    The Underground?

Before my time but hardly an upstairs venue??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭sok2005

Spiders?

sok2005 wrote: »
    Spiders?

Again, downstairs.
    More a night club than a gig venue but it did gigs too. I remember seeing In Tua Nua there.

A lot of memories in this thread.

I'm intrigued as to where the OP is thinking of.
    Where is the OP?

Another possibility is Roxanne's (in the Savoy). Again, more of a night club but I think they did the odd gig. It was upstairs, though.

Zoe's. Yet again more of a night club and downstairs but I do remember seeing Cyprus Mine there.

Mojo's. Downstairs, pretty small but regular gigs. A House there stands out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Not from Cork but I remember people talking about a place called Fred Zeeppelins down that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,198 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Sounds like the first room in Henry’s when you get up the stairs.

frag420 wrote: »
    Not from Cork but I remember people talking about a place called Fred Zeeppelins down that way?

Still there but only opened in the mid to late 90s

Sounds like the first room in Henry’s when you get up the stairs.

Except the OP said that they knew it wasn't Henry's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

frag420 wrote: »

Defo not Fred Zepps. The bands play upstairs alright but 60 people would have the place jammed. Its tiny.

Again, downstairs.
    More a night club than a gig venue but it did gigs too. I remember seeing In Tua Nua there.

A lot of memories in this thread.

I'm intrigued as to where the OP is thinking of.
    Where is the OP?

Another possibility is Roxanne's (in the Savoy). Again, more of a night club but I think they did the odd gig. It was upstairs, though.

Zoe's. Yet again more of a night club and downstairs but I do remember seeing Cyprus Mine there.

Mojo's. Downstairs, pretty small but regular gigs. A House there stands out.

Mojos ah the memories. Had my first pint in a pub there. The stage was tiny just a small elevated bit at the back by the jacks if I recall rightly. I think its a dentists now. Was a great pub.

I'd go with Delacey house or some part of that whole grand parade hotel/henrys venue when the whole place used to open with bands, discos etc all at the same time in different rooms/levels. Great days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Donne

The Donkey's Ears maybe, or An Bróg?

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

The Lobby / then called Henry Africans
    ( Corner premises next to Charlies)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Henry94

Tell us who you saw there and it would be a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

An Spalpin Fanac had an upstairs, not really a gig venue but there were occasional small (two/three people) sets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

ah i think it was de lacy house , yer a good lot , many thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

DaDumTish wrote: »
    ah i think it was de lacy house , yer a good lot , many thanks guys

If it was "DeLacy House" my recollection of this venue was that the entrance was out onto Oliver Plunkett Street (not too far from Grand Parade end) and it situated across from Casey's Furniture Store. DeLacy House had a canopy over the Front Main Entrance. I recall being in the venue one night at a time when such establishments that stayed open til late were all required to supply hot food as part of their entry fee which you collected in a plastic container from a hatch! - you could nearly bounce the sausages off the wall and the food tasted crap :rolleyes: Happy Days in a very different Cork!

Advertisement