Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question regarding graduation rules

Options
  • 26-02-2018 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine told me that she attended DIT a few years ago and did first, second and third year, passed her exams but could afford to pay her fees for third year so wasn’t allowed to graduate. Fair enough.

A year or two later, when she had the money together, she asked to pay the outstanding fee so that she could say that she graduated and be given her degree parchment and she was told that the course had changed and that it was too late for her to do that.

Now I’m taking her at her word that this is the way things played out but assuming that everything I’ve said is accurate, does this sound right? Does anyone know if this is the way things would be under those circumstances?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

it does ..if the course changed especially if its a professional programme.

You dont say if she passed all her exams or is she needed to repeat anything. She wouldnt have got any results or graduated until fees were paid.

She should pay off her frees, get her results and then talk to her Head of School. Really depends on the programme/ if she passed everything or had anything outstanding

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

She did pass her exams and got her results, according to what she told me.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

well then she just needs to talk to her Head of School to see if there is an issue/what she needs to do

If its a professional programme and something has changed since she was a student she basically wouldnt be able to be accredited.

In terms of graduation she is looking at Oct/Nov at least so there is plenty of time to find out what she needs to do.

Weighting of modules can also change so that could also be an issue

Advertisement