Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rangers FC On Field Gossip & Rumour Thread 2019/2020

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

PauloMN wrote: »
    What do you make of the Gerrard link, lads? Big name alright, but surely solid management experience is what's needed at Ibrox. Seems a bit crazy if he's even being considered, he has even less management experience than Murty.

Word on a variety of forums is that it's going to be Gerrard with Gary McAllister but we'll have to wait and see. Personal terms and budgets have been agreed. It's a massive gamble, a gamble that we shouldn't be taking, in my opinion. Gerrard has no managerial experience and he is going to step into the footballing cauldron that is Glasgow for his first job. I'd be far happier if it we hired an experienced manager. The club needs a period of stability now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Big name, but **** me sideways if this isn't out of nowhere...

I'll back him but I really don't think this will end well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

There's not many examples of reputations being enhanced following a stint at Rangers post liquidation.

McCoist, Warburton, Weir, Caxinha and Murty have all had their reputations damaged. McCoist, Weir and Warburton in particular all left under very strange circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Clearly, it'll surprise nobody to hear, as a Celtic fan, I hope it all goes tits up.
    That said, and with my bias aknowledged, it seems like a crazy risk. No experience to speak of and I'm sure he isn't coming on the cheap either. His wages will probably reflect his lack of experience but I'm sure it'll be a relatively handsome salary to tempt him up there knowing how difficult the job will be.
    The name power alone will certainly help in the transfer market though.
    Hopefully it's another Pedro, but if it pays off there's serious potential there too.
    Maybe he can inspire the dressing room by bringing along his haul of league winners medals to show them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

People going on about he has no experience to be a manager when a certain G.Souness arrived he had no experience either. Not saying he will be a success just a reminder that experience isn’t always top of the list

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Pretty poor treatment of Murty to be honest, and I'd be pissed off about being replaced by a manager with even less experience, regardless of the name that he has. I personally think it's a mental move for both Gerrard and the club if it comes to pass.

Pretty poor treatment of Murty to be honest, and I'd be pissed off about being replaced by a manager with even less experience, regardless of the name that he has. I personally think it's a mental move for both Gerrard and the club if it comes to pass.

Well I am sure the club will note your concerns ;)

As for Murty I am pretty sure he was given the job until the end of the season. It seems that is still the case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Clearly, it'll surprise nobody to hear, as a Celtic fan, I hope it all goes tits up.
    That said, and with my bias aknowledged, it seems like a crazy risk. No experience to speak of and I'm sure he isn't coming on the cheap either. His wages will probably reflect his lack of experience but I'm sure it'll be a relatively handsome salary to tempt him up there knowing how difficult the job will be.
    The name power alone will certainly help in the transfer market though.
    Hopefully it's another Pedro, but if it pays off there's serious potential there too.
    Maybe he can inspire the dressing room by bringing along his haul of league winners medals to show them?

I’ve a few Rangers* supporting friends who’ve used the “big name” will attract signing nonsense too. And nonsense is exactly what it is.

Warburton was gonna have access to Europe’s best youngsters due to his involvement in the NextGen tournament.

Pedro was gonna have access to South America’s best players who would use Rangers* as a stepping stone into the Prem.

Gerrard now is gonna attract great players because of his name, even though he’s never managed a 1st team in his puff.

Players go where the money is, A club could pick a manager via an X-Factor style competition and if the money on offer was right players would sign for him. Wouldn’t matter if he was George from Dagenham who’s only experience is Dagenham Rovers U-11s or Leo Messi.

People going on about he has no experience to be a manager when a certain G.Souness arrived he had no experience either. Not saying he will be a success just a reminder that experience isn’t always top of the list

Souness arrived and was able to sign the England captain and England goalie, amongst others. Gerrard will not be doing that.

• Advertisement

Souness arrived and was able to sign the England captain and England goalie, amongst others. Gerrard will not be doing that.

Your right he won’t. I am sure if you put your mind to it you could make a list of people who with no experience were successful managers from the start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Talisman

How desperate are Rangers? West Ham will not be taking up an option to sign Joe Hart so he'll be available in the summer. Man City would probably be happy to pay his wages for a year and have him out of the Premier League so he's not gifting their rivals valuable points.

Talisman wrote: »
    How desperate are Rangers? West Ham will not be taking up an option to sign Joe Hart so he'll be available in the summer. Man City would probably be happy to pay his wages for a year and have him out of the Premier League so he's not gifting their rivals valuable points.

Joe Hart will not be at Ibrox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Talisman wrote: »

Joe Hart will not be at Ibrox

Haha, who's the england captain?? :pac:

Dave King is ready to follow through....

And Murty has left the building. Not surprised by this but the board really need to take responsibility here

https://stv.tv/sport/football/1413845-graeme-murty-leaves-rangers-after-celtic-defeat/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Murty "left"? Lol, he's been sacked. Shat upon by the Rangers board. Gerrard needs his head examined if he take on a role with that shambles of a club. Disgusting treatment of Murty from start to finish.

• Advertisement

Murty "left"? Lol, he's been sacked. Shat upon by the Rangers board. Gerrard needs his head examined if he take on a role with that shambles of a club. Disgusting treatment of Murty from start to finish.

Just to put you straight there’s every chance Murty will go back to the 20s. Do t think many will disagree the board were a disgrace here. But please let’s have less of your faux outrage

Just to put you straight there’s every chance Murty will go back to the 20s. Do t think many will disagree the board were a disgrace here. But please let’s have less of your faux outrage

Deluded as ever, Rangers fans are simply immune to the toxicity of their "club".

Nothing "faux" about it. I seriously doubt Murty will go back anywhere near that place, even the "he can come back to the U20s job if he likes" line is utterly pathetic rubbish from the Rangers board just to keep onside with the fans.

Gerrard or not, it'll not make a jot of difference. You could put Alex Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, whoever in there and it wouldn't work the way things are at the moment.

Deluded as ever, Rangers fans are simply immune to the toxicity of their "club".

Nothing "faux" about it. I seriously doubt Murty will go back anywhere near that place, even the "he can come back to the U20s job if he likes" line is utterly pathetic rubbish from the Rangers board just to keep onside with the fans.

Gerrard or not, it'll not make a jot of difference. You could put Alex Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, whoever in there and it wouldn't work the way things are at the moment.

Don’t talk nonsense do you seriously think we don’t see the state we are in. Of course we do we also know the blame lies with the board. If you think anything else it’s you who is deluded

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Edit: Joke was already made...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

That would be a bizarre turn of events -I don’t know how you can say it has every chance.

they made a solid pr!ck of him before the 2 heavy defeats when things were going relatively well. Undermining him before 2 massive games with Celtic and giving the green light for his players to act the goat.

All to sell the idea of a fresh start in time for season ticket renewals - no consideration for what’s best for the teams development, the fans or the employee who stepped up to the responsibility when asked. King is nothing short of outrageous but it’s not Celtic fans who should be outraged.

He’s a charlatan

• Advertisement

bobmalooka wrote: »
    That would be a bizarre turn of events -I don’t know how you can say it has every chance.

they made a solid pr!ck of him before the 2 heavy defeats when things were going relatively well. Undermining him before 2 massive games with Celtic and giving the green light for his players to act the goat.

All to sell the idea of a fresh start in time for season ticket renewals - no consideration for what’s best for the teams development, the fans or the employee who stepped up to the responsibility when asked. King is nothing short of outrageous but it’s not Celtic fans who should be outraged.

He’s a charlatan

Wait a minute this nonsense again that Rangers fans are not outraged it really shows how little you know about us.
    As for Murty yes he stepped up or once but twice he also made it clear he wanted the job on a premenant basis. And at the start he did fairly well. Then he made some terrible decisions ie continuing to play a guy at CB who would struggle to get into anunder16s team. Also his stubbornness not to play or to continue to play players who continually underperformed was plain to see. He also came away with comments that shocked and puzzled many Rangers fans so he has to carry some of the blame. But King and Co are rapidly running out of time as the fans patience is wearing thin. They undermined him yes but it was also made clear that he was manager until the end of the season he wasn’t going to get it by that point every man and his dog knew that.

Wait a minute this nonsense again that Rangers fans are not outraged it really shows how little you know about us.
    As for Murty yes he stepped up or once but twice he also made it clear he wanted the job on a premenant basis. And at the start he did fairly well. Then he made some terrible decisions ie continuing to play a guy at CB who would struggle to get into anunder16s team. Also his stubbornness not to play or to continue to play players who continually underperformed was plain to see. He also came away with comments that shocked and puzzled many Rangers fans so he has to carry some of the blame. But King and Co are rapidly running out of time as the fans patience is wearing thin. They undermined him yes but it was also made clear that he was manager until the end of the season he wasn’t going to get it by that point every man and his dog knew that.

Hold on now, you question my point on rangers fans not being strong enough in relation to Kings behavior and then make excuses for him - kind of contradicting yourself there.

Nothing wrong with planning on getting a better manager for next year but to make a clown of him in the build up to a cup semi final is inexcusable. If he cared about improving the team/results he wouldn’t have done what he did. The only conclusion is the teams fortunes are a secondary concern at best.

Convicted fraudster sacrificing the managers authority (and in turn ability to perform) for the sake of a quick buck - but now the fans patience is wearing thin. - I stand by my point.

Hold on now, you question my point on rangers fans not being strong enough in relation to Kings behavior and then make excuses for him - kind of contradicting yourself there.

Nothing wrong with planning on getting a better manager for next year but to make a clown of him in the build up to a cup semi final is inexcusable. If he cared about improving the team/results he wouldn’t have done what he did. The only conclusion is the teams fortunes are a secondary concern at best.

Convicted fraudster sacrificing the managers authority (and in turn ability to perform) for the sake of a quick buck - but now the fans patience is wearing thin. - I stand by my point.

Yes he Was convicted of tax evasion which I believe was settled. But when he took the club over it was him or Ashley and cronies who were systematically tearing the club up. So he was given a break it must be so nice not to have any convicted criminals at your club or at least if you have giving them a s cond chance. While I say kill ng and the board were wrong in the way they went about it I am not surprised Murty burnt his bridges with his comments it was also clear as crap as many of the players are he had lost them as well. His decision to change tactics against your lot showed up his weaknesses. Murty may well go on to be a dec not manager but he has to harden up and learn to make tough choices I wish him well in whatever he does as do many more of us

Yes he Was convicted of tax evasion which I believe was settled. But when he took the club over it was him or Ashley and cronies who were systematically tearing the club up. So he was given a break it must be so nice not to have any convicted criminals at your club or at least if you have giving them a s cond chance. While I say kill ng and the board were wrong in the way they went about it I am not surprised Murty burnt his bridges with his comments it was also clear as crap as many of the players are he had lost them as well. His decision to change tactics against your lot showed up his weaknesses. Murty may well go on to be a dec not manager but he has to harden up and learn to make tough choices I wish him well in whatever he does as do many more of us

Settled? If Anto down the road gets 6 months in mount joy for robbing it’s settled when he gets out - he’s still a robber though. King is a convicted fraudster, serving his punishment doesn’t lessen that.

My point is, King was willing - and did - throw the manager under the bus (along with any remaining chance of winning the cup) for the chance to bring in cash.

He was willing - and did - commit fraud in order to take in some cash.

See the trend? Personal wealth comes at any cost/risk for people like that.
    He can’t be trusted to act in the best interest of a football club - he should have been ran long ago.

I agree Murty isnt good enough but don’t think anyone can succeed in that structure.
    Stevie G looking more likely - big name will excite people but would you have preferred a more experienced option?

Murty was in an untenable position when he waa thrown into the deep end given his experience and he was undermined at every opportunity.

Its out of the frying pan and into the fire with Dave King. Its self destruction by a different method is all. And it was well warned but you all gave him breathing space when he deserved none.

Why wasnt their a fan control consortium when the club was up for sale all those times??

Settled? If Anto down the road gets 6 months in mount joy for robbing it’s settled when he gets out - he’s still a robber though. King is a convicted fraudster, serving his punishment doesn’t lessen that.

My point is, King was willing - and did - throw the manager under the bus (along with any remaining chance of winning the cup) for the chance to bring in cash.

He was willing - and did - commit fraud in order to take in some cash.

See the trend? Personal wealth comes at any cost/risk for people like that.
    He can’t be trusted to act in the best interest of a football club - he should have been ran long ago.

I agree Murty isnt good enough but don’t think anyone can succeed in that structure.
    Stevie G looking more likely - big name will excite people but would you have preferred a more experienced option?

Again I will ask surely people are allowed second chances for convictions you or I may not like them as people but does that mean they are not allowed to move on. Secondary Murty knew what he was doing when he took the job. He knew Kings methods. Yes it was not the way to deal with it but the man didn’t help himself.

Again I will ask surely people are allowed second chances for convictions you or I may not like them as people but does that mean they are not allowed to move on. Secondary Murty knew what he was doing when he took the job. He knew Kings methods. Yes it was not the way to deal with it but the man didn’t help himself.

Don’t get me wrong - I fully endorse King getting a fresh start at Rangers.
    And as many chances as it takes - as long as they’re at rangers.

Long live the King.

Paul Murray and Barry Scott - BANG and their gone.

Well Gerrard is the new manager. Personally I think it will be very tough for him to make an impact, unless he is given full support from the board and a suitable budget. I can only think there is money promised from somewhere, otherwise I can't see why he'd have signed up. I reckon he'd need a minimum of £25m to £30m to bring in some key players, get rid of a load and stick a few of the more promising young players out on loan.

How long do you think he'll be given? I think 2nd would be min league expectation, but I also think a cup would be expected next season. Failure on those counts would put him under serious pressure.

I want him to succeed and I will back him 100% while he is the manager of our club. Have to say that there is something awesome about the picture below. Was impressed by his press conference. Still feeling nervous about it all though, if I'm honest.

2jbpt3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I know money is tight for them at the moment but having to use the trophy room as a bike shed is pretty low.

sabat wrote: »
    I know money is tight for them at the moment but having to use the trophy room as a bike shed is pretty low.

I presume you know the history of the bike or are you being obtuse

Gerrards logic that being in good teams and watching good managers at work means that he'll do just fine :pac:

Just because ya watch bruce lee movies doesnt mean you know kung fu comes to mind

Surprised he's agreed to join a club with so many problems. All people will remember is that he failed to succeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Berserker wrote: »
    I
    2jbpt3.jpg

Is he admiring the Petrofac Cup or the other silverware Charles Green bought at a closing down sale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Is he admiring the Petrofac Cup or the other silverware Charles Green bought at a closing down sale?

Looks like they couldn't stretch to a club car.

1-0 today v Kilmarnock. Clarke has turned them into a well organised outfit, so we had to work for our win. An emotional day for Bates, so it was nice to see him scoring.

Crazy game so far today. 3-0 down after 20 mins. Goals from Tav, Rossiter and Alves (lovely free kick) makes it 3-3 after 40 mins. Oh and Allan should have had a red, dreadful tackle on Rossiter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

The defending from both sides has been abysmal so far. Great watching for the neutral. There'll probably be a sending off or three.

The defending from both sides has been abysmal so far. Great watching for the neutral. There'll probably be a sending off or three.

Yeah, some woeful defending. We've brought on Alves. That should help us.

• Advertisement

Definite red, that Allan challenge on Rossiter!

Battle on for second place and the one time we would want Celtic to win and they are losing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Well done on getting Europe lads.

Wasn't a bad game that all same.

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Battle on for second place and the one time we would want Celtic to win and they are losing!

No chance of them taking something from that game today. Finishes 5-5 and Lennon decides to run on the pitch to celebrate. Crazy game.

Oh well!

Some game to finish the season, would have liked to win it but in the end it didn't make a difference.

Can't wait to see at least half this team leave though.

• Advertisement

Scott Arfield officially signs from Burnely, 4 year deal.
    McGregor bound to follow soon, I believe Oli McBurnie will join as well.

McGregor has signed now, Murphy has also signed on. Good piece of business, joint highest amount of assists for a guy who only joined in January.

So all away teams fans including Celtic I take it are now in the corner between the Broomloan and Sandy Jardine stands.

THE Club takes this opportunity to thank supporters for renewing their season tickets in record numbers.

The deadline for renewals was last week and we received more than 40,000 renewals, which is far in excess of the previous highest level achieved in Rangers’ long history. This figure is truly inspiring and can only help boost the confidence levels of Steven Gerrard and his new management team as they prepare for the new season.

Following the closure of the renewal deadline the Club seeks applications from supporters who did not hold season tickets for the prior season. This has long been part of our Club’s tradition as it allows new and younger supporters, who did not previously own a season ticket, to secure one for the first time.

We have already received an enormous number of requests in advance of the close of the renewal date and we have had to consider carefully how best to accommodate these supporters in light of the record renewals.

Our supporters will always come first and as many of them as practically possible must be accommodated. That is why the Club has decided on an overall increase in the total number of season tickets available to our supporters to what will be a historical record. A further announcement on the final new ticket allocation will shortly be made available on the Club’s website.

An unfortunate consequence of putting our supporters first is that this increased demand negatively impacts on the number of tickets which will be allocated to visiting teams. This means all visiting fans will now be situated in the corner between the Broomloan and Sandy Jardine Stands.

We believe that this is the best possible outcome after considering the unprecedented levels of support from Rangers fans.

Together we are Rangers.

How many tickets will visiting teams get as a result of this? Fantastic to see such a high level of demand for season tickets.

Berserker wrote: »
    How many tickets will visiting teams get as a result of this? Fantastic to see such a high level of demand for season tickets.

As far as I can make out about 800

• Advertisement
Advertisement