Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can You Actually Achieve A H1 In History?

Options
  • 26-02-2018 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hello,

My history teacher says that the most one can get in each paragraph in the essay section is 12 marks, but he also says that most people only get 3-6 marks for each paragraph.

Is this really true?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Has your History teacher corrected for the SEC?
    The marking scheme is quite transparent.
    https://www.examinations.ie/tmp/1519671660_6918349.pdf (.pdf file)
    Nowhere does it say there is a limit to the number of marks a candidate can get.

In 2017, 6.1% of candidates scored a H1 grade, compared to 3.4% of those who took Geography.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 gronings

That's good to know, thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Consonata

gronings wrote: »
    Hello,

My history teacher says that the most one can get in each paragraph in the essay section is 12 marks, but he also says that most people only get 3-6 marks for each paragraph.

Is this really true?

Totally depends on how many paragraphs you choose to do. I did 8 paragraphs for each of my 3 essays and averaged around 7/8 marks and each.

H1 in History isn't impossible so long as you block out your info and make sure not to waffle. Concise information for 4 pages is enough to get you a H1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭ignorance is strength

From the marking scheme:
    The examiner will award marks to each paragraph or paragraph equivalent as follows:

Cumulative Mark (CM) (Maximum = 60 marks)

Excellent: 11-12 marks Outstanding piece of analysis, exposition or commentary. Clearly expressed, accurate and substantial information.
    Very good: 8-10 marks Very good material, accurately and clearly expressed.
    Good: 6-7 marks Worthwhile information, reasonably well expressed.
    Fair: 3-5 marks Limited information/barely stated.
    Poor: 0-2 marks Trivial/irrelevant/grave errors.

The remaining 40 marks is for overall evaluation and isn't paragraph specific.

As Consonta says, you're not limited to five paragraphs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

gronings wrote: »
    Hello,

Is this really true?

If you write 5 paragraphs and get 12/12 in each paragraph then you get 60/60 in the cumulative mark - the remaining 40% are for how well overall you answer the question, the evaluation mark.

If you write 10 paragraphs and get 6/12 in each paragraph then you get 60/60 in the cumulative mark - and the examiner is forced to give you a decent evaluation mark because of the amount you have written. 6/12 is a lowish average mark for a paragraph - if you write 8 paragraphs and you get 8/12 in each one then you are writing a H1 essay.

I have only ever seen one 5 paragraph essay with a 12/12 mark - it is as rare as a blue moon.

When you are writing your history essay the first thing to note is the question you are being asked. In particular watch for a time-frame 1912-1939 or 1912-1945. Watch out for 'and/or' type questions. If it is 'or' (economy or society) then you discuss one of the topics outlined - if it is 'and/or' (economy and/or society) then you can discuss one or both - if it is 'and' (economy and society) then you must discuss both and if you don't you automatically lose 20% of the available mark for the essay.

Your introduction should give some background information to set the context of your essay.

Each paragraph should deal with one topic/issue - outline the issue, explain its relevance, produce evidence to back up your assertion, then link it to the essay title (or onto the next paragraph if more appropriate). 4-5 sentences and do this 6/7 times.

Your conclusion should discuss the long term consequences of of the topic you are discussing (e.g. the reasons for the rise of fascism - and the conclusion - led to a totalitarian one-party state - led to a world war).

and remember - in the leaving cert exam you will have 40 minutes to write an essay - so you should practice writing them in one go and train your brain to do it in 40 minutes.

Hope this helps - you can find some sample essays here - there is usually more posted in the run-up to the leaving cert.

https://leavingcerthistory.net/course-topics/ireland-1912-1949/sample-essays

https://leavingcerthistory.net/course-topics/europe-1920-1945/sample-essays-2

https://leavingcerthistory.net/course-topics/northern-ireland-1949-1993/sample-essays/

https://leavingcerthistory.net/course-topics/usa-and-the-world-1945-1989/sample-essays-3/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 sarahdevenny12

Of course you can!! i DID mine in 2016 and out of the 18 in our class at least 10 of us got a1s and the others got a2 or didnt try. just dont waffle and like it is said above you just right more paragraphs. this is what I did and I got 97 percent overall in my leaving cert history exam

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

done my leaving in 2007 (yeah I'm old lol) and got A1 in ordinary history

I remember done my project on 'Bloody Sunday 1922'. Sadly can't remember much else from the paper

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

'Select and reject' is an important skill for History.
    Know what to keep in and what to leave out.

Hitler was a vegetarian? Interesting maybe, but not important in a treatment of his foreign policy for example.

Know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭ignorance is strength

Out of the 18 in our class at least 10 of us got a1s and the others got a2 or didnt try

There’s no way this is true.

Advertisement