Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What changed in your life since your very first post on Boards?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭laserlad2010

Joined in 2010 as a college student...

Since then, broke a few hearts, lived in NZ for a year, travelled the world, progressed through my training scheme so I now hopefully have 5 years plus an MD/PhD left, and a 2-3 year fellowship before I can apply for a neonatology consultant post in Dublin. If there are any :(

Would I say I'm wiser? Yes when I've time to think about my decisions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

From my very very first post?
    Lost both parents. Did my leaving cert. Got my degree. Went back to college and qualified in something completely different. Learned to drive, got my first car, got my full license. Moved out of home. Moved back home. Moved out of home again. Settled down, desettled. Travelled a lot. Almost went working on cruise ships. Diagnosed with epilepsy. Could have died from an undiagnosed condition that was pretty much at coma levels before they realized what it was. Started my first ever part time job in 5th year, started my first full time adult job, owned my own business. Lots of little personal things too that I’d prefer to keep to myself but it’s fair to say I’ve grown up on boards. I think I was 13 or 14 when I made my first post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

13 years.

Graduated
    Traveled
    Got driving license
    Worked
    Traveled
    Married
    Bought a house
    Got grey hair. Haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It'll be 15 years in May. It appears I joined 3 days before I moved to Dublin to start my first proper job having lurked here for a few years while being a poster over on the sin.ie forum.

In that time I've gotten used to living in Dublin rather than Galway, moved between half a dozen rentals, learned to ski (the one thing I miss from the Celtic Tiger - ski holidays), lost a few stone thanks to the Fitness Forum, met Mrs Sleepy, became a father, became a proficient photographer thanks to the Photography forum, put back on the weight I'd lost, was made redundant, contracted in the UK for a brief spell before moving home to my current job, gotten married (with help from the Weddings forum), bought a house (with help from the Accommodation and Property forum).

If anyone in head office has access to the database, I'd love to see the data of where I've posted over the years! It'd be fascinating to be able to see how my interests have changed over time by cross-tabbing the number of posts I've made in each forum over a time-line.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Everything.

Different relationship (married now).
    2 kids.
    Left the city and moved to the shticks.
    Complete lifestyle change.
    Less selfish.
    Wiser (I hope).

Having said that, it's been 13 years.

I remember when this was all fields.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Some pretty ****ty things have happened but all the good things have more than made up for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

joined 30/10/2001 through the irelandoffline forum, still got crap broadband so not much changed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

9 years ago I was a loser, jobless Internet troll that lived in my mother's baseband. 10 years later, she now lets me stay in the box room if i massage her feet when she's in the bath.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Oranage2 wrote: »
    9 years ago I was a loser, jobless Internet troll that lived in my mother's baseband. 10 years later, she now lets me stay in the box room if i massage her feet when she's in the bath.
    sounds like a sweet deal you got going on there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Ditched the Bebo account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Had my 5 year anniversary about a month ago. My first post was looking for a recommendation for an architect because my boyfriend and I were planning on building a house.

Since then we built the house, got married and had a baby so my whole life is different!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Had 2 more children. Got married. My little brother died at 22 suddenly. Was grieving got depression lasted 4 months. Thick black hole I couldn't find a way out of. Hospital. Got better. Bought a house. Went back to college as a mature student after 20 years away from a classroom. Loving it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,517 ✭✭✭addicted to caffeine

I joined in 2010 and I've moved into my own apartment, went to college twice, started doing my autism presentations, broke up with someone and with a different partner now, started writing a book and made a few friends along the way. I'm a bit more confident and outgoing in myself than I was when I first joined:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Joined in 2003 on this account - 19 then, 33 now. I've gotten a degree and masters, had three post-graduation jobs, moved to London, met my husband, had 2 kids...

Became more awesome
    lifted all the things
    lots of friends too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Got married, have two kids, went through three jobs; became more mellow, more wary and less certain about many things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Lost my virginity- twice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Gotten more Cynical less trusting have grown to hate driving love my family even more and really enjoying my job. So bad and good but thats life i guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Ive become a year older.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Got rid of the O2 modem/dongle thingy anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

No, Facebook was the social network of choice in 2008. All my friends joined and started using Facebook in 2007. I was the last to join in August 2008 BUT I deleted my Bebo account in April 2007 and went one and a half years without a social media account. Bebo had an incredibly short heyday. Practically just 2006 and out. I’m not saying nobody used Bebo in 2008 but it had been most definitely surpassed by Facebook by that point. I was in college then too, the target audience for both at that time.

Many people didn’t bother to delete their Bebo accounts when they stopped using them (I was unusual in having done so) which might make it seem like it was still popular in 2008 but, trust me, on the ground, it was Facebook all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭job seeker

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Got rid of the O2 modem/dongle thingy anyway.

We used to have one of them as well! They were a disaster! You'd be using one minute, then it'd disappear down into the couch and not be seen for weeks. Next thing you have is a bill of €600+ coming through the letter box..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Lots of things really.. but then I'm here a while!

- Moved out of Dublin, back, and out again - something I never thought I'd do when I was younger, but now I couldn't imagine living in Dublin again (rental/housing prices being one, but the traffic, the general noise and crowd, the anonymity (nice when you want to be left alone, but not so much if you need help with something)

- Grew up. Not just in raw numbers but in becoming more relaxed and comfortable in who I am, what I want, and what I'm prepared to put up with. I was never one to really care about following others or trends, but I given even less of a shyte now :p

- But the biggest one... became a father. Something that was never an "essential" in the plan growing up, but which I wouldn't change for a second now. Your whole life really does change and it certainly helped focus me more career wise (you're less willing to put up with crap or stay around because you enjoy the social life), and while it's hard going at times, it's completely worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

Joined 15 years ago to ask for information on buying my first car.
    Have since then owned 4 other cars, married, kids, etc. Still in the same job I was in back then though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Confidence. A lot less confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Pretty much nothing, TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭thomil

Oh boy...

I joined in 2014. In those almost four years, I've left my job at Apple, not really in the best of ways, joined another IT company, and moved into a new, vastly superior apartment.

Most importantly however, I lost my parents, the last living members of my family. That last change is really one I would have very much preferred to done without.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

I got a kick in the face!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

My post count! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

lukesmom wrote: »
    Had 2 more children. Got married. My little brother died at 22 suddenly. Was grieving got depression lasted 4 months. Thick black hole I couldn't find a way out of. Hospital. Got better. Bought a house. Went back to college as a mature student after 20 years away from a classroom. Loving it

Well done for getting through that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,915 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Em....
    • Lost a few stone. Put it back on but now it's back off again.
    • Completed my degree and my MSc.
    • Done a pretty decent amount of travelling.
    • Moved to the UK for work. It's been 7 years so I don't know if I want to stay here or move on.
    • Built myself a PC with some help from Boards' PC Building forum.
    • Lived in 4 UK cities with 6 addresses.
    • Trying to be more proactive with improving myself via reading, travelling and online courses.
    • Had several jobs with some hardships. Got some great help from people on this site.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Gone from 15 to 29.

Don't think much elaboration needed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Stargate SGU finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I originally joined in 2003 and have gone through a few usernames since. So in 15 years a lot has changed !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Well done for getting through that.

Thanks a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Aston Villa have been relegated

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭job seeker

Another thing that changed in my life since 2010, was my outlook on jobs. I used to be extremely naive to think that there was such thing as the 'perfect' job. I was a right fool..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

First joined boards in November 2009.

Windows 10.

Real pos.

EDIT: The great Groflalofster of Irish Radio Gerry Ryan dying in 2010.

• Advertisement
Advertisement