Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snowmagedagain

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,326 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

So luas is limited service....but can't see anything forecast on the app...Twitter in a meltdown....so am I off?

Has the Department of Education closed all schools, or is it up to each one? I can't find any specific DoES instruction and it's 7am.

Also, is there an overall instruction for creches or does each one decide?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

If read alert warning, I don't have to go in, RIGHT???
    I don't bloody know what to do! 😰

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Has the Department of Education closed all schools, or is it up to each one? I can't find any specific DoES instruction and it's 7am.

Also, is there an overall instruction for creches or does each one decide?

Up to each one to decide unless there's a central directive, which there hasn't been yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Ajsoprano

Any news on building sites?

• Advertisement

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Back in the 70's we had plenty snow and everyone survived. Many people had no fridges, freezers etc, cars were back wheel drive so crap to drive in snow. No warnings and everyone coped. snow was up to a foot deep and drifts up to 4 feet. Are people nowadays gone soft?

People died in the 1982 snow event. But yeah who needs warnings right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I've got twelve inches here.

Only around a centimetre of snow though. :(
    DP for you tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Why do people say their trips should be “fun” in these poor weather conditions. As someone with a 200klm commute round trip daily I can assure you it’s not fun at all.

Sarcasm bro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Here in the West it's a lovely crisp morning, not too cold.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,523 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

https://twitter.com/Education_Ire/status/968464592841125889

No further tweet as of this morning. A poster in the Weather forum said a school in Cabra is closed all right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Sarcasm bro.

I hope so but looking at some people’s reactions to this nuisance I’m not convinced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

namloc1980 wrote: »
    People died in the 1982 snow event. But yeah who needs warnings right?

Ah sure, you always get these Hard Chaws on here during any extreme weather event. They were here during Ophelia and they'll be here at the next Extreme Weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭dasdog

Hondo75 wrote: »
    Well its good to see RTE is keeping us updated with euro news, teleshoping and repeats of Maura and Dahiti

One of the few positive things about RTE is Lyric FM. And Marty Whelan made it in to do his quirky morning show. It's time to get wrapped up well and do a 5km trek listening to Ella Fitzgerald, Ennio Morricone and really bad jokes without the incessant noise of traffic bleeding through the headphones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Ah sure, you always get these Hard Chaws on here during any extreme weather event. They were here during Ophelia and they'll be here at the next Extreme Weather.

Hard chaw. :D I wondered if my father was the only person to use that expression.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Ajsoprano wrote: »
    Any news on building sites?

Red weather alert. Your H&S Officer should shut down works in my opinion. If I was your PSDS I would ask for it to be closed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

https://twitter.com/Education_Ire/status/968464592841125889

No further tweet as of this morning. A poster in the Weather forum said a school in Cabra is closed all right.

All schools in Finglas closed now due to red weather warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Ursummupet

And you'll get those who'd close the whole country down on the sniff of a bit of adverse weather. Ophelia was a freak but what we're getting now is nothing more a cold snap. The media has the whole country whipped up In a bread buying frenzy and it's utterly laughable.

People need to stay indoors, be scared and wait for further instructions. Do not think for yourselves at any stage sheeple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Ursummupet wrote: »
    And you'll get those who'd close the whole country down on the sniff of a bit of adverse weather. Ophelia was a freak but what we're getting now is nothing more a cold snap. The media has the whole country whipped up In a bread buying frenzy and it's utterly laughable.

People need to stay indoors, be scared and wait for further instructions. Do not think for yourselves at any stage sheeple.

What an amazingly accurate username for yourself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

It was a lovely sight to wake up to this morning. Whiteness all around. It's going to be a great great day for snowlovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Oh wow buying some extra food in the probable event that you won’t be able to go out for a couple of days is a ‘frenzy’. It’s likely to be mostly elderly people stocking up because if they go out and fall in icy conditions they’ll be stuck indoors for months with broken bones.

You’re an absolute idiot and you be too embarrassed to post here again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

The beast has reached the west and she’s an angry looking b1tch so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Ursummupet

Oh wow buying some extra food in the probable event that you won’t be able to go out for a couple of days is a ‘frenzy’. It’s likely to be mostly elderly people stocking up because if they go out and fall in icy conditions they’ll be stuck indoors for months with broken bones.

You’re an absolute idiot and you be too embarrassed to post here again.

Yup, we have another taker. Enjoy the break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Dave-megadeth-34668987-182-232.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Dunnes close automatically at a red alert warning Tesco was open for a few hours the last time one was issued but I think in these conditions it's really whether the staff are even able to commute to the job that will dictate if anywhere is able to open today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Yup, we have another taker. Enjoy the break.

Not so sure there'll be any action taken against that user. Seems to be a free for all for those who engage in hyperbole about the weather.

Those who are more measured are the ones who get infractions at every possible opportunity.

Back in my day it wasn't real weather unless at least 20 people died. Softies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

erica74 wrote: »
    Hi there, is your procedure an emergency? The HSE sent out an advisory yesterday afternoon telling us all non emergency appointments should be cancelled, including all outpatient appointments, for today, tomorrow and Friday. If you haven't been contacted, I'd say it would be a good idea to contact the hospital before travelling.
    Yeah, I'll do that. It's probably a bit early for them to contact me, and the appointment is for 11.30 so it's time enough.
    Why do people say their trips should be “fun” in these poor weather conditions. As someone with a 200klm commute round trip daily I can assure you it’s not fun at all.
    If that was referring to my use of the word 'fun', I was being facetious/sarcastic. I don't really expect my foot being cut open to be fun either.

Meanwhile, here's my use of my bins to show how much snow has fallen here:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I think the schools can make the individual call. Got the text from our kids' national school earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Is costa open? Need a cappuccino

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I went to my local shop last night and a guy came out with a trolley full of milk. Fecking gallons of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

So much for the "shows what they know, just like ophelia" claims... now let's go out and make giant snow penisesmen. Let's all build snow men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,549 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Lads with cannabis farms in their attics $hitting it this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

That reminds me, how is your man on toilet strike doing?? No action on the thread lately

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Yeah, I'll do that. It's probably a bit early for them to contact me, and the appointment is for 11.30 so it's time enough.

Just keep an eye on your phone this morning and obviously, don't travel if you don't feel you can do so safely.
    I'm going in now to cancel all my patients for tomorrow and Friday.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'll ring them at 9 if I haven't heard. If it's cancelled, I'll head to work (it's a handy enough 15 minute walk).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,523 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,193 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

No it just means health and safety for the country rather than just in work....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Aaaah, no, the money flows the other direction. Dublin contributes more to its country brethren than vice versa.

Is that so? So over three million people dont contribute to keeping dublin in at all? Ha ha really that's funny you think that ;) Put up your link that shows no money flows to dublin from elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Originally off work tomorrow and Friday. Boss is looking for me to go in now. No chance! :)

Job description I hear you (not) ask? Bartender :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Made it into work, none of my staff did so I am on my own today haha

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Originally off work tomorrow and Friday. Boss is looking for me to go in now. No chance! :)

Job description I hear you (not) ask? Bartender :D

I got the text off my boss a half hour back, right as I was getting dressed for work exactly with Ophelia. Perfect enough timing time get my arse out of bed without me having to do a thing afterwards. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Well that’s feckin handy, great to see all of the infrastructure hasn’t gone to crap.
    Roads are clear boys! The authorities have done a great job of keeping everything ticking over, unlike in the bad old days when they would have struggled to keep even minor I.T. Systems from falling over

2e4ceog.png

gozunda wrote: »
    Is that so? So over three million people dont contribute to keeping dublin in at all? Ha ha really that's funny you think that ;) Put up your link that shows no money flows to dublin from elsewhere.

I said more flows from Dublin than vice versa. That implies that some flows the other way too. The net flow is out of Dublin, not inwards. Dublin subsidises a lot of rural Ireland’s services. It’s economies of scale. Those three million are widely dispersed.

Oh, and you were the first to make the claim about who subsidises who so you first. I’ll go after you do, in the order in which claims were made. Off you go. Link plz. ;)

minikin wrote: »
    Well that’s feckin handy, great to see all of the infrastructure hasn’t gone to crap.
    Roads are clear boys!
    I thought that was a general 'earth cam' type website that covers the globe for a second, given it's from Dublincity.ie it's kind of poor form of them to not just remove the photos until they get it fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I said more flows from Dublin than vice versa. That implies that some flows the other way too. The net flow is out of Dublin, not inwards. Dublin subsidises a lot of rural Ireland’s services. It’s economies of scale. Those three million are widely dispersed.

Oh, and you were the first to make the claim about who subsidises who so you first. I’ll go after you do, in the order in which claims were made. Off you go. Link plz. ;)

Really? Compare just over one million versus the three million in the rest of the country. Doesn't add up - who subsidises the vast amount of infrastructure etc concentrated in Dublin.

Btw you didn't provide the link as requested - I think you may forgot - so no you first. Thanks

gozunda wrote: »
    It is obvious that the other three million in the rest of the country subsidises the vast amount of infrastructure etc concentrated in Dublin.

Btw you didn't provide the link as requested - I think you may forgot - so no you first. Thanks

As said, you made the first claim. You’ve to back yourself up every bit as much. Don’t ask others to back themselves up if you are not prepared to do so yourself. Links will only be provided by me if you do so too. Shall we remind ourselves again who made the first claim? Hint: it wasn’t me.

Dublin is densely populated, services can be provided much cheaper to its citizens than spread out rural populations. This is common sense stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

services can be provided much cheaper to its citizens than spread out rural populations. This is common sense stuff.

What services are there in rural areas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Boss just rang me asking why i wasn't in lol. Told him i didn't fancy the 10 minute walk in case i slipped hurt myself and was out of work for a few weeks. He hung up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

What's the usual Dublin vs the rest of the country got to do with snow lads?

• Advertisement
Advertisement