Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snowmagedagain

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

What's the usual Dublin vs the rest of the country got to do with snow lads?

Well that fact that it's only snowing when it's snowing in Dublin is one thing :pac:

Also hilarious to see Dublin melt down in events like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Boss just rang me asking why i wasn't in lol. Told him i didn't fancy the 10 minute walk in case i slipped hurt myself and was out of work for a few weeks. He hung up.

Can snowflakes get hurt if they slip, and fall ...... ?

:rolleyes::pac:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

_Dara_ wrote: »
    As said, you made the first claim. You’ve to back yourself up every bit as much. Don’t ask others to back themselves up if you are not prepared to do so yourself. Links will only be provided by me if you do so too. Shall we remind ourselves again who made the first claim? Hint: it wasn’t me.
    Dublin is densely populated, services can be provided much cheaper to its citizens than spread out rural populations. This is common sense stuff.

You said
    Aaaah, no, the money flows the other direction. Dublin contributes more to its country brethren than vice versa.

I was replying to another poster. You replied the above piece of wit and in reply you were then asked by me first to provide a link to your unequivocal statememt. I will wait thanks.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Boss just rang me asking why i wasn't in lol. Told him i didn't fancy the 10 minute walk in case i slipped hurt myself and was out of work for a few weeks. He hung up.

Snow isn't slippery.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

How long would a bag of firewood last, while using a fire to heat a small room with mediocre insulation? (The bags they sell in lids, in case there is variation in size)
    And how many slices of bread would it take to insulate such a room ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Time lapse video from last night outside our home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Time lapse video from last night outside our home.

Nice. What did you use to record that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Me when I looked outside this morning
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR4vk9xnomE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Nice. What did you use to record that?

We have a Netatmo security camera that has a timelapse feature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Conditions in Bray are atrocious. Witnessed an accident at Fairyhill. Three car smash at around 6:30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Was worried about how long it would take to get in this morning. Have to clock in each morning and just checked my logs - earliest I've been in since October.

More snow I say

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kyogger

gozunda wrote: »
    Really? Compare just over one million versus the three million in the rest of the country. Doesn't add up - who subsidises the vast amount of infrastructure etc concentrated in Dublin.

Yes but services and infrastructure are only required for 1m people Vs 3m people. So you might expect only 1/3rd the services and infrastructure is required for Dublin than the rest of the country. But actually this is not the case- as the other poster mentioned Dublin is more densely populated and therefore so is the infrastructure making it more efficient. So less than that. Just look at the utilisation factors for any service (hospital, garda, public transport) in Dublin vs rest of the country. For sure the net flow would be outwards. I wouldn’t even try to argue the point further tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Really? Compare just over one million versus the three million in the rest of the country. Doesn't add up - who subsidises the vast amount of infrastructure etc concentrated in Dublin.

You can't conflate 3 million spread across the entire country versus 1 million concentrated in 1 city, its a ridiculously ignorant comparison only attempted by people who have a massive chip on their shoulder

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Is that so? So over three million people dont contribute to keeping dublin in at all? Ha ha really that's funny you think that ;) Put up your link that shows no money flows to dublin from elsewhere.

He's right, it was on the David McWilliams TV3 episodes recently, Dublin subsidizes the rest of the country. Cities are far more efficient economic entities
    Speaking about this phenomenon, David McWilliams states:

“10 billion Euros leaves Dublin to the countryside every single year. So far from Dublin being something that sucks in the resources, Dublin is actually a large ATM for the rest of the country”

https://www.joe.ie/amp/movies-tv/david-mcwilliams-dublin-607271

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

It's the country people working in Dublin that makes the money flow though. Jacko and Decko know fcuk all about financial markets or building gas pipelines.

Anyway, yous still snowed in down there or what?

kyogger wrote: »
    Yes but services and infrastructure are only required for 1m people Vs 3m people. So you might expect only 1/3rd the services and infrastructure is required for Dublin than the rest of the country. But actually this is not the case- as the other poster mentioned Dublin is more densely populated and therefore so is the infrastructure making it more efficient. So less than that. Just look at the utilisation factors for any service (hospital, garda, public transport) in Dublin vs rest of the country. For sure the net flow would be outwards. I wouldn’t even try to argue the point further tbh.

I think you will find that dublin has more (and much better) services more infrastructure and more facilities than anywhere outside dublin. Anyway the reply was that Dublin - from being 1 million vs 3 million is in fact a net benefiter of funds from its surrounding areas. Simples.

VinLieger wrote: »
    You can't conflate 3 million spread across the entire country versus 1 million concentrated in 1 city, its a ridiculously ignorant comparison only attempted by people who have a massive chip on their shoulder

^^^See above. But back to the main point here - If you go back to the first post - it was a jest about the weather. This is AH - you know? Yer man came along with the classic (dublin) chip on the shoulder about what was been joked about. Says it all really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Why rough it when you could be sitting at home in comfort and safety ? People simply had no choice, we do, it would be silly to choose to do nothing to ensure your family's comfort and safety because that's how it was done in the past.
    I was referring to the over reaction to a few cm's of snow and how people are stocking up like it will last for 6 weeks. No doubt someone will have to be blamed for it. Remember 2010 they wanted the council to clear the frost up to their doors? The transport minister left the country and there was uproar, what did they think he could do? No moaning back in the 70's everyone just cleared their own footpaths.

He's right, it was on the David McWilliams TV3 episodes recently, Dublin subsidizes the rest of the country. Cities are far more efficient economic entities
    https://www.joe.ie/amp/movies-tv/david-mcwilliams-dublin-607271

AH you believe TV3 :D. Don't believe what you watch or read there or AH ...

Btw he just says what leaves dublin and not "subsidises" - he doesn't say what comes back in ... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Btw he just says what leaves dublin and not "subsidises" - he doesn't say what comes back in ... ;)

The data is available from the CSO. Greater Dublin (Dublin, Kildare, Wicklow & Meath), Kilkenny & Cork are the only counties that pay more in tax than they receive in government expenditure. 55% of total tax take is from Dublin (Link)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I said that net money leaves Dublin, which implies that I think some flows the other way too. But overall, yeah, net money leaves Dublin to support the rest of the country.

I was ready to post links after having given you a chance to support your point (which you haven't done), but I see that other forum members have jumped in. I'm smugly smelling my on farts currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It's snowing outside: red alert and bitter culchies are on here arguing about Dublin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

It's the country people working in Dublin that makes the money flow though. Jacko and Decko know fcuk all about financial markets or building gas pipelines.

Anyway, yous still snowed in down there or what?

Financial markets not so much, but we do need some boggers to work in the Super Mac's.

Anita Blow wrote: »
    The data is available from the CSO. Greater Dublin (Dublin, Kildare, Wicklow & Meath), Kilkenny & Cork are the only counties that pay more in tax than they receive in government expenditure. 55% of total tax take is from Dublin (Link)

Does that l include all the people from outside Dublin working and contributing there?

It's amazing how stuff spouts legs in AH. Anyway ye better direct how to do links back at the other fellow. Don't think he knows how ... ;)

How is the weather up there then? :rolleyes:

Ush1 wrote: »
    Financial markets not so much, but we do need some boggers to work in the Super Mac's.

Btw - how is Jacko and Deecko - were they released after their spell down the country robbing old folks?
    murpho999 wrote: »
    It's snowing outside: red alert and bitter culchies are on here arguing about Dublin!

Ah ye have 'weather' - well done! Don't worry it will be all right - we will be up shortly to sort ye out. It's funny I would appear thst the dubs humour chips are inactive for some reason? I blame the weather ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Btw - how is Jacko and Deecko - were they released after their spell down the country robbing old folks?

I think you need some new material.

Billy86 wrote: »
    I think you need some new material.

Yeah I think that was what Jacko and Decko were after tbh. They got a hiding instead ... ;)

Yeah I think that was what Jacko and Decko were after tbh. They got a hiding instead ... ;)

They were just reclaiming tax owed.

I've also never met a Dub named Jacko and I've lived here 33 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Well you're bringing the bitterness to a new level by referring to those posters as "culchies".

Bemused is the word, not bitter.

You have a week's warning, you have people who have seen snow before, you have a few flurries and everything stops, panic buying, mayhem on the streets.

That's not how the children of the Ireland I grew up in were reared.

• Advertisement

I said that net money leaves Dublin, which implies that I think some flows the other way too. But overall, yeah, net money leaves Dublin to support the rest of the country.

I was ready to post links after having given you a chance to support your point (which you haven't done), but I see that other forum members have jumped in. I'm smugly smelling my on farts currently.

Still no linkies :(

And more money and resources and services go into dublin compared to the rest of the country - yeah sadly we know.

Careful smelling your 'own'(?) farts - it's likley to be bs. well maybe not bovine - but at least you know it's coming from yourself :)

How's the weather btw?
    They were just reclaiming tax owed.
    I've also never met a Dub named Jacko and I've lived here 33 years.

Dont think you can claim tax back on anything you havn't earned and definitely not whilst in prison!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

So many morons out on the road, people thinking brakes are going to work the same in these conditions also not clearing their effing car roofs.

Ive seen several people just spinning their wheels in first gear as if thats going to achieve anything

mayhem on the streets.

Citation needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Can the Dublin v Others go on a different thread .?

Bemused is the word, not bitter.

You have a week's warning, you have people who have seen snow before, you have a few flurries and everything stops, panic buying, mayhem on the streets.

That's not how the children of the Ireland I grew up in were reared.

Some people are panic buying, not everyone, but enough to empty shelves.

It was the exact same years ago. It hasn't changed. Everything stopped in the old days.

People in Dublin and country are reacting no different.

There is no mayhem on the streets by the way.

Vita nova wrote: »
    Well you're bringing the bitterness to a new level by referring to those posters as "culchies".

How else would you describe them?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Anybody fall yet?

I'd a few close moments on my way to work, as soon as you come off the compacted snow some of the paths are lethal, especially in the type of footwear I have on. Coming home will be worse.

I'm afraid that I'm going to go viral on youtube before the end of the week.

VinLieger wrote: »
    So many morons out on the road, people thinking brakes are going to work the same in these conditions also not clearing their effing car roofs.

Ive seen several people just spinning their wheels in first gear as if thats going to achieve anything

It polishes the road nicely for sleds, every cloud eh?

There definitely should be cold weather driving competency tests though, between those going to fast down holds and those going too slow to get up them, you're better off in the Zetor on days like this.

I think you will find that dublin has more (and much better) services more infrastructure and more facilities than anywhere outside dublin. Anyway the reply was that Dublin - from being 1 million vs 3 million is in fact a net benefiter of funds from its surrounding areas. Simples.

Complete nonsense. It's common sense that a densely populated city is more efficient from an infrastructural and public services point of view. That means the rest of the country is less efficient. In that scenario the net flow of money will be in one direction. Basic economics here.

What you see when you go on your trip to Dublin and think there are 'more facilities than anywhere outside dublin' is acutally a density of facilities. This is to match the density of population. There is a difference between 'density' and 'amount' which you also probably need to do some research on.

Your argument that because 3m live outside Dublin, and only 1m inside Dublin makes Dublin a net beneficiary makes absolutely no sense if you think about it. With that nonsense you could argue that someone who is on €500k a year is hugely a net beneficiary of the tax pot, because he is only 1 person and the rest of the country is 3.999999m. Of course that is nonsense as we know the guy on €500k pays €250k odd of tax in the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Anybody fall yet?

I'd a few close moments on my way to work, as soon as you come off the compacted snow some of the paths are lethal, especially in the type of footwear I have on. Coming home will be worse.

I'm afraid that I'm going to go viral on youtube before the end of the week.

Yes I fell on my arse when I took the bin out. Lucky no one saw.

Complete nonsense. It's common sense that a densely populated city is more efficient from an infrastructural and public services point of view. That means the rest of the country is less efficient. In that scenario the net flow of money will be in one direction. Basic economics here.What you see when you go on your trip to Dublin and think there are 'more facilities than anywhere outside dublin' is acutally a density of facilities. This is to match the density of population. There is a difference between 'density' and 'amount' which you also probably need to do some research on.
    Your argument that because 3m live outside Dublin, and 1m inside makes absolutely no sense if you think about it. With that nonsense you could argue that someone who is on €500k a year is hugely a net beneficiary of the tax pot, because he is only 1 person and the rest of the country is 3.999999m. Of course that is nonsense as we know the guy on €500k pays €250k odd of tax in the year

Nah it was a joke about the weather - yer man thought he was in the financial forum or something. :rolleyes:

Btw your 'basic economics'101 is bs. But that's a whole other thread ...

How else would you describe them?

They're just posters whose opinions differ from yours. You can refer to them without name-calling

Citation needed.

I don't think there is, is there?

Are the roads not filled with people who haven't a clue how to drive in wintry weather, bus stops thronged with confused commuters wondering where there Bambionicemobile is, pavements littered with the bumprints of the fallen?

Maybe things are improving.

Vita nova wrote: »
    They're just posters whose opinions differ from yours. You can refer to them without name-calling

Yea yea, and they call Dubliners Jacko and Decko.

Relax, culchie is a well used phrase for country folk.

Not everything has to be labelled name calling!

Nah it was a joke about the weather - yer man thought he was in the financial forum or something. :rolleyes:

Btw your 'basic economics'101 is bs. But that's a whole other thread ...

I love reading the desperate straw man posts of people who finally realise they are wrong :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Honestly glad I left the car at home today most of the roads were full of snow or compacted snow even the main road up my way. Wondering if they'll pull the transport thats working later on if more snow comes barreling down...

I don't think there is, is there?

Are the roads not filled with people who haven't a clue how to drive in wintry weather, bus stops thronged with confused commuters wondering where there Bambionicemobile is, pavements littered with the bumprints of the fallen?

Maybe things are improving.

Yes.

No.

I love reading the desperate straw man posts of people who finally realise they are wrong

You do know this is AH? And you read the original post did ya? Now you're looking to be "right" are ye? Thats funny - lol :D

But yes your 'basic economics" is still rubbish imo. But hey there ye go ...

We'll I'm from rural Ireland and would consider it name-calling.
    Some definitions of culchie:
    Google: "an unsophisticated country person"
    OED: "one who lives in, or comes from, a rural area; a (simple) countryman (or woman), a provincial, a rustic"
    Dicitionary.com: "a rough or unsophisticated country-dweller from outside Dublin"

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

You might be confusing jacko with jackeen. Used when Dublin was considered more Union then the rest. Jack from Union Jack and een to mean small.

Edit. The irony that your name is murpho!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement