Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snowmagedagain

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Mod: Lads get ta fuck with the Dublin vs country shite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The people who drive 4WD jeeps and believe that they are no longer subject to the laws of physics are hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

The people who drive 4WD jeeps and believe that they are no longer subject to the laws of physics are hilarious.

They're not as much fun as people with the same large ones that don't like to take them out in this weather for fear of damaging the car!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Can we get back to senselessly arguing about the snow :) , the whole rural/urban thing is upsetting the children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Hoboo

My 6 acre garden is covered in snow. Looks great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Hoboo wrote: »

Humble brag about having a 6 acre garden :D

Hoboo wrote: »

On that note, the photography forum should be pretty good this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

gozunda wrote: »
    Nah it was a joke about the weather - yer man thought he was in the financial forum or something. :rolleyes:...

Mighty serious joke when you are asking people to provide links. (whilst not doing so yourself) You were caught out. Sin é.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Snow isn't slippery.

I'm sorry i can't hear you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

VinLieger wrote: »
    So many morons out on the road, people thinking brakes are going to work the same in these conditions also not clearing their effing car roofs.

Ive seen several people just spinning their wheels in first gear as if thats going to achieve anything

My car is where it should be, in the driveway. Morons out driving today unless they are emergency services or front line PS will drive all our insurance claims up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

another beautiful day in SW donegal with no snow hit minus 4.3 at 8am a few flurries so maybe it will arrive yet (but not much looking at the current forecasts)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Out clearing the driveway with snow shovel and some lovely tunes on the ear phones. The air is crispy AF. I'm seratonin'd out of me head

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

buried wrote: »
    Out clearing the driveway with snow shovel and some lovely tunes on the ear phones. The air is crispy AF. I'm seratonin'd out of me head

I love that dry, cold, still air, it's rare you in Ireland that it's so noticeable after shaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I was working a night shift last night. Coming home was okay but still a lot of reckless driving on the roads. Due in for another night shift tonight, I'm not going in, bosses losing the head....cant believe they really expect us to risk travelling in that weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Mighty serious joke when you are asking people to provide links. (whilst not doing so yourself) You were caught out. Sin é.

I was expecting you to end that with "Fact" ........ :rolleyes:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    My car is where it should be, in the driveway. Morons out driving today unless they are emergency services or front line PS will drive all our insurance claims up.

No snow here in north cork all I see is green fields and dry roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    No snow here in north cork all I see is green fields and dry roads.

Yup lovely clear weather here. Got a load of work done this morning. Grabbing a cuppa and heading back out to do more. No rest for us ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Some of us have to go to work. I got away with working from home for the morning but I have to go in after lunch. HEavy snow in Athlone now and about an inch or so on the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

An inch? Jaysus, outside Kinnegad here and we have about 4-5 inches.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

An inch? Jaysus, outside Kinnegad here and we have about 4-5 inches.

A lot of Kinnegad lads equate 1 inch to 4-5 inches :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

That Kinnegad snow is being supplemented by urban taxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

degsie wrote: »
    A lot of Kinnegad lads equate 1 inch to 4-5 inches :cool:

:D:D

More of this and less of the Dublin v country economics ****e please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Just was out myself, most main roads are perfectly driveable with a bit of common sense and patience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Blizzard conditions sounds fierce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Just was out myself, most main roads are perfectly driveable with a bit of common sense and patience.

Not around here in the North East.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Some of us have to go to work. I got away with working from home for the morning but I have to go in after lunch. HEavy snow in Athlone now and about an inch or so on the ground.

When other parts of the country have 4-5 inches you can't describe 1 inch as "heavy snow"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Think you might get away with it today, not so much tomorrow or Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

My car is where it should be, in the driveway.

Mine too. It's pretty bad here.

O12Akpj.jpg

• Advertisement

Think you might get away with it today, not so much tomorrow or Friday.

Yeah thats true when we get the same again on top if not even more its gonna be a different story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭Christy42

another beautiful day in SW donegal with no snow hit minus 4.3 at 8am a few flurries so maybe it will arrive yet (but not much looking at the current forecasts)

I believe this is the point where you are mandated to say that it was an overblown piece of nonsense and sure wasn't just a bit of slush cos it did not affect your particular house: p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

Anybody fall yet?

I'd a few close moments on my way to work, as soon as you come off the compacted snow some of the paths are lethal, especially in the type of footwear I have on. Coming home will be worse.

Yep. On the way home from Lidl when I stumbled upon what I believe was a shut sewer door. I was in my runners. I wasn't injured in any way, fortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Christy42 wrote: »
    I believe this is the point where you are mandated to say that it was an overblown piece of nonsense and sure wasn't just a bit of slush cos it did not affect your particular house: p

not at all just glad i'm not digging out the driveway (although that may come !) :D
    stay safe everyone !

Yep. On the way home from Lidl when I stumbled upon what I believe was a shut sewer door. I was in my runners. I wasn't injured in any way, fortunately.

Socks outside the shoes can be a huge help for grip, probably won't look that odd with plain black ones either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

^^Oi mate that's my polar bear, can you give him a lift?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Went to work (back now) the snow was pleasingly "foreign" I could almost blow it off the car so powdery was it. A bit of a thaw in Waterford City, the main roads esp the ring road are grand though predictably some city roads are hit and miss regarding melt and gritting. Estates are never gritted are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,516 ✭✭✭valoren

Working from home today. We live in an estate at the top of a steep hill. One of the neighbours seemingly made a go for it this morning and ended up crashing through the barrier at the bottom of the hill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Dublin Bus not running tomorrow, same for Bus Eireann in Leinster/Munster and Iarnrod Eireann finishing at 2pm

Surprised they made this call now to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

When other parts of the country have 4-5 inches you can't describe 1 inch as "heavy snow"

Heavy snow in Athlone now about an inch on the ground, to my mind that means that it's snowing heavy with about an inch on the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Field in my estate had snow up to the shins this morning. Lovely untouched field at that hour, loved stomping through it.

Got into work after an hour and a half on the bus (whole journey is usually max 40 mins). Dublin city centre is brown slush :(

Sent home on a half day and my bus broke down 3 times (conked out in the middle of a junction at one point! :o). Eventually had to hop on another one when it gave up the ghost.

Texting my friend from Slovakia and she finds it very funny as they often have much deeper snow/lower temps and just get on with it. Our public transport/roads just don't seem able! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

Jade182 wrote: »
    Texting my friend from Slovakia and she finds it very funny as they often have much deeper snow/lower temps and just get on with it. Our public transport/roads just don't seem able! :o

Yes Jade, it’s just hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

My wife is Slovak, and I would agree. But they are used to it and the country is prepped for it. Roads get cleared regularly, people are responsible for the foot paths outside their property so they clear those areas, and snow tires used on cars etc.

It’s hard to get roads gritted here in cold weather.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Collie D wrote: »
    Dublin Bus not running tomorrow, same for Bus Eireann in Leinster/Munster and Iarnrod Eireann finishing at 2pm

Surprised they made this call now to be honest

Laughable really isn't?

Capital city grinding to a halt. Feel for all those reliant on public transport for work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Jade182 wrote: »
    Field in my estate had snow up to the shins this morning. Lovely untouched field at that hour, loved stomping through it.

Got into work after an hour and a half on the bus (whole journey is usually max 40 mins). Dublin city centre is brown slush :(

Sent home on a half day and my bus broke down 3 times (conked out in the middle of a junction at one point! :o). Eventually had to hop on another one when it gave up the ghost.

The countries who have regular deep snow are a completely different matter . They invest money in the equipment and staff to clear the snow . We get snow maybe once every five years and it would simply not be economical for us to do the same .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Lads with cannabis farms in their attics $hitting it this morning.

Lol there is a house in my estate that has a suspicious warm spot on the roof where the snow is melting whereas all the neighbours roofs have a thick blanket of snow. Yer man is probably getting paranoid as fcuk

Collie D wrote: »

And Duffys Big Top Circus has been cancelled now, things go from bad to worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

Muahahaha wrote: »
    And Duffys Big Top Circus has been cancelled now, things go from bad to worse.

You mean the Dáil is closed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Motivator wrote: »
    Yes Jade, it’s just hilarious.

I'd say it is though. My friends in Canada are the same. When you are so used to something like this its probably funny to watch people that aren't. Same reason they thought my "skating"(more like falling down) was hilarious and likewise when one was here and I let her try a hurley. Just human nature...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I have over 8 inches at home now.

Snow is getting quite deep too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I'm guessing a lot of places are also closing up due to the fear of being sued by people "falling".

Trains are running all day, so in theory, no reason we couldn't have gone to the office, but as a red alert was issued, the company sent out an email.

I'd say Irish Rail are happy, as they won't have to deal with the claims if people stay at home!

Advertisement