Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snowmagedagain

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Its a bit of a joke that the country has to effectivly shut down due to snow

Other countries get this type of weather frequently and manage to keep things going

That's because they get it frequently and are geared up to deal with it.

Why can't people understand this?

Either way, the country kept going pretty well today.

Also, tomorrow's weather looks like it's going to be quite significant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Clickbait

Other countries get this type of weather frequently and manage to keep things going

Ireland doesn't normally get weather like this, of course we have to shut down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭Couchpotato82

_Dara_ wrote: »
    My husband's boss is not closing the office tomorrow. What an unrepentant money-grubbing arsehole with a lot of disgruntled employees on his hands. Public transport isn't even running tomorrow.

Oh boo hoo.
    Tell your husband take a days holidays if you’re so concerned.
    The world can’t stop just cos of a few inches of snow.

People need to grow up. Adults excited by this weather? Sad.

This cold snap will kill elderly/homeless people, put our hospitals under severe pressure cost the country a fortune in fuel bills and some people are actually getting upset because they haven’t gotten enough snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'll lay odds that if the government invested in infrastructure and plant/machinery to deal with these conditions and they lie unused for 15 years you'll complain about the waste too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

As others have said the bolded bit is important. We are not the only country to be taking this seriously Britain, France, Germany even Russia(who know bad weather).

I wonder if they did not take this seriously are numbers died would you be first on here giving out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'll lay odds that if the government invested in infrastructure and plant/machinery to deal with these conditions and they lie unused for 15 years you'll complain about the waste too.

Shocked to hear TII have 330 vehicles for plowing and gritting. Note: Thats just M and large N roads, local stuff is up to LAs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

My husband's boss is not closing the office tomorrow. What an unrepentant money-grubbing arsehole with a lot of disgruntled employees on his hands. Public transport isn't even running tomorrow.

To add to this, whenever the sun came out today, Bossman would take photos and send them around the company saying "Oh, this is Snowmageddon, is it?".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

To add to this, whenever the sun came out today, Bossman would take photos and send them around the company saying "Oh, this is Snowmageddon, is it?".

So we know hes on boards anyway then, or maybe he is already banned :pac:

Oh boo hoo.

This cold snap will kill elderly/homeless people, put our hospitals under severe pressure cost the country a fortune in fuel bills and some people are actually getting upset because they haven’t gotten enough snow.

Hi there. Could you highlight the part of my post where I said that I was upset that there wasn't more snow?

Exactly. People wouldn't be one bit happy if we poured the money into it that other, colder countries do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

ED E wrote: »
    Shocked to hear TII have 330 vehicles for plowing and gritting. Note: Thats just M and large N roads, local stuff is up to LAs.

LAs do the national routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Oh boo hoo.

Life must be difficult on that crusade of yours. Maybe pick up some snow, mould it into a ball, and throw it through the air. Go on. See what happens. It might make you happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Some people are very creative.

[URL="[img]https://i.imgur.com/LfXo6ov.jpg[/img]"]LfXo6ov.jpg[/URL]

Thought that was a big creepy octopus creature at first

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

doylefe wrote: »
    Don't dare go against the consensus on the weather forum. Crazy the level of echo chamber groupthink going on there.

What kind of gob**** buys a snow shovel in Ireland for a probably max 2 day event.

Cute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Neyite wrote: »
    Galway City is sunny and dry. Not a flake of snow and no breeze at all. Feels weird to be honest.

Different story in my part of the county, we got quite a bit here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,003 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I know it doesn't go well when you question the advice on this stuff.

But the government saying that it is life threatening is a bit dramatic.

Everything is life threatening - life is life threatening.

Plenty of people need to work - they could have advised no travel for safety reasons.
    But again - some people have to work.

The taoiseach has admited that in his statement - so one wing saying your life is in danger and the main man saying - up to your employer.

The temperatures are just below zero - it isn't anything like -20 or so.

It is bad weather - it is snow - it is lasting till saturday / sunday. Sunday is 7 degrees with blue sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Plenty of people need to work - they could have advised no travel for safety reasons.

The taoiseach has admited that in his statement - so one wing saying your life is in danger and the main man saying - up to your employer.

It is bad weather - it is snow - it is lasting till saturday / sunday. Sunday is 7 degrees with blue sky.

The advisory is for when the blizzard conditions hit!

And if he said nothing people would be whinging about that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Earlier today the snow was dazzling bright.

Ten minutes later the clouds rolled in and there was a snow flurry and the the wind was blowing the power off the ground too and visibility dropped way down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

kylith wrote: »
    Them penguins aren't cheap, you know.

I heard Danny DeVito is riding for Deliveroo these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,003 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

And if he said nothing people would be whinging about that.

I didn't say that.

You said that.

Read the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Think I'll Grit me teeth, just in case I get caught out in the Snow :D

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭Couchpotato82

Hi there. Could you highlight the part of my post where I said that I was upset that there wasn't more snow?

Not about you. “Some people” Read the other weather thread. You’ll find plenty moaning that they haven’t had enough snow in certain areas.

As for your husband, would he take the day off without pay? Compromise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

We have a Nordic client disputing the severity of this weather event. Doesn't matter really, if people can't commute by public transport, we ain't open.

Hopefully your husband and his colleagues don't have too much of an issue looking for another job. Would not like working with someone so unreasonable. A mate of mine lives across the road from where he works and he worked from home today!

I didn't say that.

You said that.

Read the post.

I know you didn't say it, I'm saying it.

What you did say was that the warning about danger to life was over dramatic which was a strange thing to say considering the worst of the snow and storm hasn't arrived yet and it could well be a dangerous situation depending on how bad it is.

There's nothing wrong with warning people to be careful, idiots going out on the roads when they don't need to not only endanger themselves but also the emergency services who have to rescue them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

People bitched about Storm Ophelia being overhyped too, even though three people died. Just because it doesn't hit your area doesn't mean the warnings are unwarranted.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Different story in my part of the county, we got quite a bit here.

Where I work had no snow as of 5.30. Beautiful sunset and all. By the time I passed the outskirts of town it was a very different story. It was crazy the difference in a few miles. It was blizzard like at one point and I was seriously concerned. I crawled home (east of the county) Depending on what happens tonight, I highly doubt I'd get down the road, let alone into work.

Luckily the boss at work is sound and has said not to take risks trying to travel for work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,212 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

exactly, they get this type of weather frequently so it's financially viable to prepare for it and to have all the workarounds.
    in our case because freak weather is rare it's easier just to shut down for the couple of days. granted such weather events are supposibly going to get worse so eventually it will get to the stage where we will have to implement workarounds.
    Oh boo hoo.

people don't need to grow up as they are grown up. given the severe weather the country does need to do as little as possible to insure the safety of the populous. so if you can, stay at home, keep the strain on the emergency services to a minimum.

it's about minimizing potential accidents due to the weather, and minimising the strain on the emergency services, who will be kept busier then normal. the weather is potentially life threatening, and the government warnings must be heeded as they are given for good reason.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

Polished off mine earlier. Still have a tub of ice cream, doesn't feel very apt.

I considered ice cream but it was a toss up between briquettes for the fire and food, I chose fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

My brother made a valid point via text:

If half this country is gluten free then how the **** did we run out of bread! 😂😂😂🙈

When the snow comes in the fads go out...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

The uk has stopped, Rome stopped a couple of days ago, Poland and Germany closed a lot of services and roads. It’s common sense to advise and not put people at risk. My work told us to work from home today. Roads were impassable until mid day. Pretty much an inch of compacted ice.

The country is not shut down but a common sense approach is being taken to an extreme and unusual weather event.

I think the government, county councils etc deserve some credit for the response to some of the recent weather events and most likely serious incidents have been avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Even if you don't have snow, this lovely cold dry air is the f**king tits. So crisp, fresh and life affirming.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

it's about minimizing potential accidents due to the weather, and minimising the strain on the emergency services, who will be kept busier then normal and who are not equipped to deal with this weather. the weather is potentially life threatening, and the government warnings must be heeded as they are given for good reason.

Hope you don't mind me adding to your excellent post.

buried wrote: »
    Even if you don't have snow, this lovely cold dry air is the f**king tits. So crisp, fresh and life affirming.

Apart from the disruption it is actually really nice. Went for a lunch time stomp through the snow. There was people out everywhere walking, building snowmen and pelting snowballs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭cycle4fun

Exactly. As said elsewhere, a few cm of snow here and everything stops. The Poles, Russians, Scandinavians etc all laugh at us. The silly, stupid, lazy Irish I heard a few eastern Europeans say when they heard reports of public transport closing tomorrow.

cycle4fun wrote: »
    Exactly. As said elsewhere, a few cm of snow here and everything stops. The Poles, Russians, Scandinavians etc all laugh at us. The silly, stupid, lazy Irish I heard a few eastern Europeans say when they heard reports of public transport closing tomorrow.

Similar weather in Sweden closed down Stockholm.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/post/baltic-blizzard-disrupts-travel-across-sweden-cold-strengthens-across-europe/2012/12/06/50b0ad5a-3fb5-11e2-bca3-aadc9b7e29c5_blog.html?utm_term=.907dc6b51995

But don’t let that stop you making unsubstantiated claims about how everywhere else copes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

I laughed when I read that . We have a Polish lad in the stores and he pretty much walked off the job saying he was going home due to the bad weather etc . The job is in citywest and lives around the corner . Nobody up to that point had said they were leaving early!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Watching from afar I don't get it. This is obviously expected to be an exceptional(to Ireland) and severe event and people are disputing the severity. People were killed in Ophelia. If one life is even saved the warning is enough.

Also bosses expecting their staff to travel greedy twats. Provisions should be in place for such rarities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Well I didn't laugh or mock when the Poles had trouble dealing with Atlantic waves . Quite a few Poles learned the hard way that they can get swept off rocks while fishing. Its all about being used to weather and dealing with it
    There is no comparison between countries that get this kind of snow regularly , they can justify spending huge money on resources because they use them all winter .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

10r5nxk.jpg

Some kind soul left this for me earlier. It's all about the little things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

some people are actually getting upset because they haven’t gotten enough snow.

I think the point here is that it isnt fair that some people get more or less snow than others. Whether a persons preference is to want it or not want it is by the way - to each his own. But every one should have an equal share. The fault here lies squarely with the government and their total lack of planning and resources to deal with this kind of weather. The north west would appear to have been completely ignored again today, but nothing unusual there. Its all about Dublin, even in such matters as depth of snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

10r5nxk.jpg

Some kind soul left this for me earlier. It's all about the little things.

The drawing of the tadpole is a good effort though.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Irony of boardsies getting angry about being told not to leave their house tomorrow- complaining of Nanny State etc ...

As if they ever left their bedroom in their parents house...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Try_harder wrote: »
    Irony of boardsies getting angry about being told not to leave their house tomorrow- complaining of Nanny State etc ...

As if they ever left their basement in their parents house...

come on now let's try to be accurate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Watching from afar I don't get it. This is obviously expected to be an exceptional(to Ireland) and severe event and people are disputing the severity. People were killed in Ophelia. If one life is even saved the warning is enough.

Also bosses expecting their staff to travel greedy twats. Provisions should be in place for such rarities.

is all i could think of

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Patww79 wrote: »

Well that wouldn't be factual, with the freezing temperatures and all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement