Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snowmagedagain

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Ursummupet

Well that wouldn't be factual, with the freezing temperatures and all.

**** just got real yo. Dem young'uns got sum beef with y'all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Ursummupet wrote: »
    **** just got real yo. Dem young'uns got sum beef with y'all.

The young'uns coming up these days don't know the rules of the game. That's the problem.

First it's penises, next thing you know they're shooting the hat off a old woman on a Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

Might invest in a pair of these in case of a sliparooney...

443549.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

10r5nxk.jpg

Some kind soul left this for me earlier. It's all about the little things.

That's modern education for you.
    In my day the word would be 'PRICK' :D

(not saying for a mo you deserve either title)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

So how much actual snow did you get and how much is forecasted?

FatherTed wrote: »

Who? Me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    In Dublin i meant, nobody cares about Cork ffs.
    Good man, do you feel better now that you got that off your chest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Good man, do you feel better now that you got that off your chest.

No.

Is your irony meter broken?

Ah im guessing you are from Cork, carry on.

No.

Na, he didn't end the sentence with 'buoy'!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

cycle4fun wrote: »
    Exactly. As said elsewhere, a few cm of snow here and everything stops. The Poles, Russians, Scandinavians etc all laugh at us. The silly, stupid, lazy Irish I heard a few eastern Europeans say when they heard reports of public transport closing tomorrow.

Of course you heard that as you've loads of Eastern European friends.

Also, The Poles, Russians, Scandinavians etc are all just sitting around their saunas toniht laughing at Ireland. Top of their minds it is, despite them actually knowing nothing about Ireland and think we're in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

FatherTed wrote: »

Can you not check?

40cm snow forecast by Friday Tomorrow and Friday s going to see a lot of snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

10r5nxk.jpg

Some kind soul left this for me earlier. It's all about the little things.

Take it he knows you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Why do people buy bread????.
    Crappest food in a crisis scenario. White bread has little to no nutrional value and doesnt last. Week tops.
    Insane to bulk buy it. Pure crap.
    Are people that ignorant??

Why not stock up with tinned tuna and tinned fruit?. Good for you and lasts years. Doesnt taste half bad either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Crappest food in a crisis scenario. White bread has little to no nutrional value and doesnt last. Week tops.

Why not stock up with tinned tuna and tinned fruit?. Good for you and lasts years. Doesnt taste half bad either.

ye can't put 'crips' on tinned fruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Take it he knows you.

I doubt it. Don't know anyone living in that estate, I just park there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Beans on toasted tuna is why.

Anyway, how many years are you expecting this few days of snow to last?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

No.

You need to learn what irony means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

_Dara_ wrote: »
    My husband's boss is not closing the office tomorrow. What an unrepentant money-grubbing arsehole with a lot of disgruntled employees on his hands. Public transport isn't even running tomorrow.

Hi remember Varadkar promised clarification for employees for days like this. Again, the message was ambiguous.

A lot of people work for absolute Sociopaths. Where there is absolutely no trust from employees for them to do the right thing.
    People worried that the situation would be abused to mark employees as absent on their records.

My work place pretty much had to force the situation by telling then we are done by 3pm. Then the place was forced to close by 2pm to try and save face as opposed to a mass walk out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

MadYaker wrote: »
    You need to learn what irony means.

It's where Iron Man was Born? :confused:

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

True. I went straight for the Gin and ice. Thankfully, there was f**king loads and on special offer too.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Beans on toasted tuna is why.

Anyway, how many years are you expecting this few days of snow to last?

Could ask you then why bulk buy white bread if we know its only few days?. Its them buying the crap that seem to think it will end up a "The Road" type scenario. If so buy decent food that will last.
    White bread?. Its basically as nutritional as cardboard, tasteless and rots quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,350 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Could ask you then why bulk buy white bread if we know its only few days?. Its them buying the crap that seem to think it will end up a "The Road" type scenario. If so buy decent food that will last.
    White bread?. Its basically as nutritional as cardboard, tasteless and rots quickly.

If all the bread that is normally bought monday to saturday is bought monday to wednesday we will have empty shelves.. doesnt have to be bulk buying, just a rush.
    Not sure about tomorrow but there will be no fresh bread in friday in red alert zones.

So thats how tuna is different to bread as shops get daily deliveries if bread to meet that days need. They should have enough tuna to meet one weeks demand.

Plus toast is a great delivery vehicle for all the other stuff in the cupboard.

But tuna makes sense or tinned salmon as the storm may take out power, water and you dont need to cook it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,549 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

With the weather as cold as feck what are your opinions on a lad wearing a balaclava to keep the face warm and dat? I don't mean walking in to a bank or shopping centre, just making your way from A to B and taking it off when you arrive. Good idea or bad? Any law against it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Long as it's not in Nor Iron

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Better eating than wearing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,350 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Im afraid you are only allowed one of the following at the same time:
    balaclava
    ak47
    Beard
    Tricolour

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Just don't carry a long, narrow carrier bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,605 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

if there ever was a time to wear one, it's when you're outside in the snow. And seeing as the gardai are all busy directing traffic, you might as well grab that 70 inch UHD tv on your way home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

With the weather as cold as feck what are your opinions on a lad wearing a balaclava to keep the face warm and dat? I don't mean walking in to a bank or shopping centre, just making your way from A to B and taking it off when you arrive. Good idea or bad? Any law against it?

There are different types of balaclavas. The ones with holes for two eyes are absolutely a no no.
    The ones that tend to show the eyes, middle/top of the nose and part of the eyebrows are fine.

There are lots of neck wraps that are made of thin material that i often seen people pull up over their mouths/nose. They are VERY non threatening because they are so easily pulled down, and fashionable looking rather than to conceal an identity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Outside, if it's blowing hard and there aren't many people around, I don't see a problem. It's no worse than a biker wearing a full face helmet: you always take it off when going indoors.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

If I'm going outside I'm looking forward to getting me face a nice blast of cold. If you don't want a bit of cold on your face you probably should just stay indoors.

M

manonboard wrote: »
    There are different types of balaclavas. The ones with holes for two eyes are absolutely a no no.
    The ones that tend to show the eyes, middle/top of the nose and part of the eyebrows are fine.

There are lots of neck wraps that are made of thin material that i often seen people pull up over their mouths/nose. They are VERY non threatening because they are so easily pulled down, and fashionable looking rather than to conceal an identity.

The one I have is more like this so not exactly fancy material...

s-l300.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

My sons' are having a good day. One gets a bonus day in Germany on his business trip coz their flight is cancelled tomorrow and the other is going viral with his Winter Olympics training at Carling Curling. :D:D

M

buried wrote: »
    If I'm going outside I'm looking forward to getting me face a nice blast of cold. If you don't want a bit of cold on your face you probably should just stay indoors.

It's fine until it's about 3-5 degrees below, then your face begins to really feel it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

you can wear it into a bank but there's no need to say 'freeze'. . .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 DelaneyO

Our desert friends can wear similar in the name of religion, no reason why we can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

DelaneyO wrote: »
    Our desert friends can wear similar in the name of religion, no reason why we can't.

Low effort post.

There's a readily available trope native to this island, just FYI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

It's fine until it's about 3-5 degrees below, then your face begins to really feel it.

That's exactly the type of action my face is after AD. I'm all set to head out in this -10 $hit for a nice freezing walk. Although, If I was to stick on a balaclava and then be seen by the locals traipsing the byroads I might not make it back either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

The only offence you’d cause is using ‘dat’.

Red warning now in effect nationally until 15.00 Friday.

http://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asp

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Not much snow where I am right now and reading the posts in the weather forum you'd think people are buried under feet of it in other parts of the country. Then they post a picture and it's pretty tame looking.

Growing up in the southeast I recall plenty of snow events with as much or more accumulations.

If the next 48 hours bring genuinely serious accumulations these people who are currently over exaggerating will die of shock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Could ye get over the whole bread thing ;)

The majority of people around here would buy fresh bread and milk daily. With the bad weather and forecasts many have opted to buy what they usually do plus sone extra in case the roads are bad and it means they do not have to go out if needs be. Remember bread will freeze quite well. So it's possible people are bunging it in their freezer.

I'm not a fan of white bread either but I presume many are buying wholemeal brown etc etc as well. Not really as big a deal as its made out to be tbh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

There is a lot in some places, over a foot. I'm working from home tomorrow and friday.

I just heard thunder in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

MadYaker wrote: »
    There is a lot in some places, over a foot. I'm working from home tomorrow and friday.

Bread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Panjandrums

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

I hear that you have to bring a shovel to the welfare office to collect the dole early.
    Wouldn't that be great.

People collecting the dole wouldn't know how to use a shovel :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Ted Plain

I wanted to nip out tomorrow to Goodwin's or Chadwick's and buy a length of skirting to finish off a little DIY job, but Leo is telling us to stay put.

I have no bread in the house, but I can bake, dammit! I also have enough booze - no exxageration - to last well into the next decade.

Advertisement