Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snowmagedagain

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Watching from afar I don't get it. This is obviously expected to be an exceptional(to Ireland) and severe event and people are disputing the severity. People were killed in Ophelia. If one life is even saved the warning is enough.

Also bosses expecting their staff to travel greedy twats. Provisions should be in place for such rarities.

Not going to get a medal or so much as a thanks for travelling in so fcuk work today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Here in the midlands the snow is past ankle deep. My wife had to go to work this morning at 6:30 as she’s a nurse and probably won’t be back for a couple of days… you couldn’t tell where the car was parked.

We’re all ill equipped to tackle such an amount of snow. I am anyway. No shovel to clear the foor path or anything. I fear my shed roof might collapse as well :eek:

Hopefully the power won’t go, no hearing then :eek:

Not that I could do anything anyway as I’m just post hernia op :( as I type, the snow is coming down good and hard. This might be my last transmission… pray for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Extinction level event on our hands and this is before the second front comes this afternoon, is Lenny Bruce afraid yet, This is the end folks just know those of us that survive will fight for the frozen bread and honour in the thunderdome.

It better not :eek: electricity is the o lay thing I have to heat the house. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Our local Centra has posted on facebook that they'll be open from 12pm to 3pm today and have got a bread delivery in.

I'm almost tempted to head down there and film the resulting madness.

It'll be like highlander there can be only one buying all this bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Try_harder wrote: »
    How many Emma’s and Emmett’s will be born in 9 months I wonder...

Or Sneachtas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Pathetic little snow falls here in D16. The laughable overkill from people and the media is a national embarrassment.

Come to finglas and see the pathetic snow I dare you oh and bring 30 cans of red monster while you're at it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Pathetic little snow falls here in D16. The laughable overkill from people and the media is a national embarrassment.

Not sure if tongue in cheek or not so will reserve comment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭Christy42

You see at this point I can't tell if this a joke or serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Is Aldi opened today?

Vita nova wrote: »
    Or Sneachtas

But with a Z

Say that to my dog. He spent way too long this morning trying to find a place to piss that was low enough. Now he’s not a small dog, so that might tell you how much snow there is out there.

Every time he squatted his Willy would plunge into the snow. I kept telling him to cock his leg instead… he just looked at me with that, you know I’m a Sitzpinkler, look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,714 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Our local Centra has posted on facebook that they'll be open from 12pm to 3pm today and have got a bread delivery in.

I'm almost tempted to head down there and film the resulting madness.

i hope they price gouge , 3 euro at least :D

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

I have enough to share.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Met Eireann have issues a status red alert warning people to the dangers of edgy posts like this

I'd hope they heed my post and bring me monster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

strange of the Portuguese to call it Emma, thought they would have went for a more latin name :confused:

fryup wrote: »
    strange of the Portuguese to call it Emma, thought they would have went for a more latin name :confused:

Emmalina.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

fryup wrote: »
    Emmalina.

Is it were named by Brazilians, it would be Emmalina Eleanorina dos Ophelianos

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭no.8

Start shouting at the sky, that'll help the cranky soul in you.
    Sorry they didn't predict the localised weather in your garden :D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭cycle4fun

A nephews local school is closed this morning - and quite right too. The road and footpath was buried in a 2 millimetre snowdrift. Even the school is only a half mile away so the kids could walk, thank God for health and safety. Back to the gargle for half the population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Loads of snow in my house in Tullamore. Out in my parents it doesn’t seem as much but they were probably clearing etc- not like me. Snow - we cool- don’t impede me and you can stay put

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭no.8

Haha, too true. The storm will have passed by the time you finish saying the name.

Stay safe people. Hopefully you get some thundersnow in Ireland!

Meteorologists caught on the hop in central Europe. The moisture from Emma has made it far inland and is causing snow chaos. Really is a massive event.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Emmalina Ronadinho Anna Rivaldo Paula Ronaldo Eleanorina dos Ophelianos de Silva

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

cycle4fun wrote: »
    A nephews local school is closed this morning - and quite right too. The road and footpath was buried in a 2 millimetre snowdrift. Even the school is only a half mile away so the kids could walk, thank God for health and safety. Back to the gargle for half the population.

Yes and do they all live within 1/2 a mile with only 2mm of snow? And the teachers? And what if heavy snow/blizzards happen while they would have been at school
    ‘Tis better to err on the side of caution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Beethoven9th

And the teachers? And what if heavy snow/blizzards happen while they would have been at school
    ‘Tis better to err on the side of caution

Maybe the teachers should get an extra few weeks off to get over the trauma of this snow event !

Yes and do they all live within 1/2 a mile with only 2mm of snow? And the teachers?

How do teachers and society cope in other countries that get snow?

There are plenty of tourists stuck in Dublin airport who cannot get out of this country, even though they are going to countries with a lot more snow but functioning airports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Feck that wind really kicks things up a notch! Ha.

Walking with it to your back isn't to bad but jebus when your walking towards it!

• Advertisement

Feel sorry for the small businesses. They must be stressed with the losses they're taking due to not being able to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭optogirl

There are plenty of tourists stuck in Dublin airport who cannot get out of this country, even though they are going to countries with a lot more snow but functioning airports.

ah lads it's the same argument over & over. This is a ONCE IN A LIFETIME event for Ireland, not to mention that Emma hasn't hit yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Simple. Either lack of expertise or lack of equipment. Probably a mixture of the two.

Simple. Either lack of expertise or lack of equipment. Probably a mixture of the two.

Or a different attitude and more industrious / less lazy.

I take it you're at work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Once again the countries who are used to this and get it on a regular basis have invested large money into the snow clearing infra structure . They spent taxes on the equipment because it is used regularly and often .Its really not rocket science to see that countries spend their money on priorities and what is most needed . We could spend billions on equipment we need every ten years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,177 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Obviously we should spend billions of tax payer's money on an infrastructure to cope with what is a once or twice a decade event. That would make loads of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

I was in Dunshaughlin in 1982 and what started out as 2mm finished up at around 2 metres, after a drifting snow storm. We lived about a mile from the village and all roads were blocked for a week - the snow was to high to walk through. Some people who got caught out in it were lucky not to lose their lives, due mainly to exposure. It will be interesting to see how this pans out, but I wouldn't make light of the warnings. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

My power went in 1998: now I'm just another Joe Soap at the mercy of others.

• Advertisement

Obviously we should spend billions of tax payer's money on an infrastructure.
    No. just work when there are a few cm of snow instead of shutting the country down.

In fairness there are plenty of workers out there. I certainly wouldnt blame laziness

Maybe the teachers should get an extra few weeks off to get over the trauma of this snow event !

Do not ask them to work back the days over the Easter or Summer holidays anyway!

In fairness there are plenty of workers out there.
    But the government has shut down the country.

I've been at full power all morning. She's taking full advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

No. just work when there are a few cm of snow instead of shutting the country down.

Do you not understand that being IN work is not the problem it is getting there and getting home is the danger .The storm has not even arrived yet .Where you around in 1982? People were taking shelter in strangers homes , pubs , hotels and left on the Naas dual carriagway for days until the army got them out .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Feel sorry for the small businesses. They must be stressed with the losses they're taking due to not being able to work.

That's life. Its just money. Peoples safety is the most important thing.

Do not ask them to work back the days over the Easter or Summer holidays anyway!

The teachers haven't made the decision to close the schools.

Maybe get on with whatever it is you're supposed to be doing yourself and don't be worrying about what anyone else has to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I actually did lose power earlier... But only to my sockets, and it turns out that the laptop I was given so i could work from home is causing the trip switch to go.

So terrible news, I guess I just have to stay home and get paid for doing nothing.

Collie D wrote: »
    The teachers haven't made the decision to close the schools.

There are plenty of teachers in the Dail. Anyway, no doubt they will work over their ample Easter + summer holidays to make up for this and storm Ophelia.

• Advertisement
Advertisement