Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snowmagedagain

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Give that driver day off, full pay! Great save.

Scotland have got an absolute battering. There have been people stuck in cars on the M80 since yesterday evening. Some up to 17 hours!

:eek:

Yep, neighbour of mine was stuck 2 miles from home for almost 4 hours. not allowed abandon the car and walk pbviously.

Some folk were still on the Edinburgh bypass late last night, the Red Cross turned up an all.

Police Scotland had to issue a cease and desist for companies ring their 101 number and asking if they should let folk home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭Christy42

Collie D wrote: »
    The teachers haven't made the decision to close the schools.

Maybe get on with whatever it is you're supposed to be doing yourself and don't be worrying about what anyone else has to do.

Well I mean all those kids are now obviously going to grow up to be idiots now cos of these few days lost. It is inconvenient for parents that do have to work today but I am sure most of them would prefer their kids at home than risk being trapped in the school later.

You would think the economy would be crippled by Monday the way some go on. It will be tough for small businesses buts let's be fair that has nothing to do with the government. They were hardly getting masses of customers today anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

cycle4fun wrote: »
    No. just work when there are a few cm of snow instead of shutting the country down.

Are you for real? I doubt it.
    The Red warning is for this afternoon. IT hasn't hit yet but people have to get home.

I find your attitude to all this quite hard to take seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

I wonder if hardman Johnny flash made it to work or is wrapped around a pole?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Feed the birds! They love nuts, muesli, granola and oatmeal. Basically any breakfast cereal will do them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

How do teachers and society cope in other countries that get snow?

There are plenty of tourists stuck in Dublin airport who cannot get out of this country, even though they are going to countries with a lot more snow but functioning airports.

They invest a ton of money via Taxes to tackle Snow because its a regular occurrence. Ireland doesn't have the same because it would be silly to have equipment and resources sitting around for an event that hardly ever occurs.

Even here in Germany in Bavaria everything keeps running because they get snow all the time and have the resources in place to keep it running, people are personally equipped with clothing and their cars are kitted out with winter tyres/snow chains.

Whereas in the North here in NRW 2 cm of snow and the whole place shuts down, Netherlands goes to complete sh*t, I remember a few years ago the Motorways were so bad that people started to run out of fuel.

If we get that Weather here in the North of Germany your employer tells you to stay home and the schools are closed because personal safety comes before profit.

By the way, you'll notice this year they had enough road salt, if they didn't you'd be complaining the authorities are morons and they can't run the place properly.

David McWilliams was another one of those "I'm in Canada and people are laughing and joking about how such little snow has ground the country to a halt" people, he's rightly been put back in his place on twitter.

There's one thing living and adapting to a climate where the weather is consistent on an annual basis, its another when snow of this magnitude falls every 30 years or so.
    If the Govt and their Agencies spent millions being ready for something like this there would be complaints too.

redcup342 wrote: »
    They invest a ton of money via Taxes to tackle Snow because its a regular occurrence. Ireland doesn't have the same because it would be silly to have equipment and resources sitting around for an event that hardly ever occurs.

Even here in Germany in Bavaria everything keeps running because they get snow all the time and have the resources in place to keep it running, people are personally equipped with clothing and their cars are kitted out with winter tyres/snow chains.

Whereas in the North here in NRW 2 cm of snow and the whole place shuts down, Netherlands goes to complete sh*t, I remember a few years ago the Motorways were so bad that people started to run out of fuel.

If we get that Weather here in the North of Germany your employer tells you to stay home and the schools are closed because personal safety comes before profit.

Or you know, common sense comes before whataboutery on talk forums!

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »

Yes if it's uncooked oats (but never cooked), as for your Cuisine de France bread it's probably too awful! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭gadgiemagoo

Would you just put them out in a bowl and wet them or leave them dry?[/quote]
    I was clearing cupboards recently of out of date stuff - mainly baking ingredients i.e flaked nuts, dried fruit & just threw them out by the handful. 15 mins later loads of diff birds pecking away enjoying it all.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

We're in Naas and it hasn't gone yet. But we're prepared if it does.

Wish this sh1te would just hurry up and be over. Pain in the hoop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Be aware that dried fruit such as raisins, sultanas etc. are toxic to both dogs and cats, so if you have pets, best not to do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I filled the bird feeder yesterday and it's all gone. Have to get wrapped up and go out again to fill it. Birds were just pecking at the snow earlier :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

There are plenty of tourists stuck in Dublin airport who cannot get out of this country, even though they are going to countries with a lot more snow but functioning airports.

Maybe you should go out and Cycle for Fun on some some black ice, cos sure there’s no risk...
    It’s 8” of snow here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

A nephews local school is closed this morning - and quite right too. The road and footpath was buried in a 2 millimetre snowdrift. Even the school is only a half mile away so the kids could walk, thank God for health and safety. Back to the gargle for half the population.

Or a different attitude and more industrious / less lazy.
    No. just work when there are a few cm of snow instead of shutting the country down.
    Do not ask them to work back the days over the Easter or Summer holidays anyway!
    But the government has shut down the country.
    There are plenty of teachers in the Dail. Anyway, no doubt they will work over their ample Easter + summer holidays to make up for this and storm Ophelia.
    Would you look at that? A cyclist being an insufferable bore.

Who'd have thunk it?

Dry, they know snow is water :) Just on cooked porridge oats - its a hazard as it cools and then chokes them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Or a different attitude and more industrious / less lazy.
    But the government has shut down the country.

You'd probably cry your eyes out if they spent anything on a once off situation such as this. ''There are people on trollies/on the streets/living in hotels etc etc etc'' ''It's a joke'' '' It's a disgrace''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Feed the birds! They love nuts, muesli, granola and oatmeal. Basically any breakfast cereal will do them.

And do NOT feed the trolls !

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Collie D wrote: »
    The teachers haven't made the decision to close the schools.

Maybe get on with whatever it is you're supposed to be doing yourself and don't be worrying about what anyone else has to do.
    That's right it's an insurance issue more than anything. Can't take the risk of some sprite upending himself on school property.

Safest course of action from a legal standpoint is shut down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Filled the bird feeder to the brim just after 11, will time how long it takes them to empty it...Christ, I'm bored

Porridge oats are perfect - uncooked of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Once again the countries who are used to this and get it on a regular basis have invested large money into the snow clearing infra structure . They spent taxes on the equipment because it is used regularly and often .Its really not rocket science to see that countries spend their money on priorities and what is most needed . We could spend billions on equipment we need every ten years
    razorblunt wrote: »
    David McWilliams was another one of those "I'm in Canada and people are laughing and joking about how such little snow has ground the country to a halt" people, he's rightly been put back in his place on twitter.

There's one thing living and adapting to a climate where the weather is consistent on an annual basis, its another when snow of this magnitude falls every 30 years or so.
    If the Govt and their Agencies spent millions being ready for something like this there would be complaints too.

It's such a painfully simple concept, but it seems to fly over the heads of so many

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Den Creed

Aldi in Killarney had to shut down this morning, huge electrical fault cut power to the doors and tills, by the looks of it, seeing as aldi was packed, it was an overload, as freezers and lights still worked, going to try a local shop now, everyone else heading for tesco next door now, so it will be packed

Dry, they know snow is water :) Just on cooked porridge oats - its a hazard as it cools and then chokes them.

They can't survive on snow. Keep some water available to them, even if you don't out1 out food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,177 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Cooked would be just mush. Or am I missing something that sometimes you buy them cooked or uncooked? I just poured them out of a porridge bag.

Most porridge oats are actually pre cooked. They are rolled and steamed.
    Exceptions would be steel cut oats or pinhead oatmeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I left a bowl of water and some seeds out earlier, haven't seen a single bird avail themselves.

Ungrateful bastards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Bloody hell. Just back from Tescos, and its worse than Xmas Eve. Fresh Bread, nearly gone. Fresh fruit and veg, the same. Dairy, half gone. Fresh meat, not alot left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,177 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Mine were got in Aldi so I doubt they're steel cut or anything. Just normal ones like Flahavans.

Should I take them back in then?

No, they'll be fine
    What people are saying is not to make porridge from the oats (ie. add wster/milk and further cook)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭cycle4fun

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Bloody hell. Just back from Tescos, and its worse than Xmas Eve. Fresh Bread, nearly gone. Fresh fruit and veg, the same. Dairy, half gone. Fresh meat, not alot left.

It is a national emergency, a half inch of snow has fallen in some parts of the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The queue in my local Spar was out the door. Twenty minutes waiting to be served. Luckily they had plenty of bread, teabags and pizza so I'm sorted. All I need now is for the husbag to get home and I will be able to relax. It's starting to get bad where I am in west Dublin. Stay safe everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Do people not get a weeks shop anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

The birdeens would eat anything in this weather.i gave them a smashed up cake earlier a fruit cake.gave them some of the hens barley as well and they ate it.i even fed some to the crows and I hate them fukrs.they the whole time stealing stuff from my hens but I wouldn’t see them stuck this weather.ill recommence my crow wars when the weather warms up and they fancy a scrap.
    Every lad just trying to survive these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

razorblunt wrote: »

Not even the Canadians are perfect when caught on the hop .My son lives on the east coast of Canada and last Oct they got early snow .The leaves were still on trees and the snow caused mayhem due to the added weight and trees fell and blocked roads . The drivers were caught out and hadnt got their winters tyres on and the highway was blocked from Vancouver to the north with skidded cars and trucks /.
    The Canadians invest in huge shovels and tyre chains etc because they have to and its worth it .
    They also had major forest fires all along the east coast and mountains and lost huge amounts of forestry . They also get weather events they cannot cope with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭gadgiemagoo

The birdeens would eat anything in this weather.i gave them a smashed up cake earlier a fruit cake.gave them some of the hens barley as well and they ate it.i even fed some to the crows and I hate them fukrs.they the whole time stealing stuff from my hens but I wouldn’t see them stuck this weather.ill recommence my crow wars when the weather warms up and they fancy a scrap.
    Every lad just trying to survive these days
    I'm the same - feed em this weather but as soon as the weather is good enough to hang out the washing they get the bums rush. They're too fond of swinging on the line & crapping all over the clothes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

It is a national emergency, a half inch of snow has fallen in some parts of the country.

Arent you just hilarious with your attention seeking now . Gas man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Arent you just hilarious with your attention seeking now . Gas man

Mention hi viz vest however and.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭cycle4fun

Not even the Canadians are perfect when caught on the hop

Sure, but a few cm of snow does not catch them on the hop. In some parts of Ireland its a chilly winters day, thats all, yet the country closed. A Polish lad asked whats wrong with the Irish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,516 ✭✭✭valoren

What with the winter olympics and now the snow, I'm bursting to go on a ski holiday, I just know I'd love alpine skiing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Sure, but a few cm of snow does not catch them on the hop. In some parts of Ireland its a chilly winters day, thats all, yet the country closed. A Polish lad asked whats wrong with the Irish?

Oh no a Polish guy said that? Well in that case...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 SidekickSimon

"Irish Parliament has announced its in recess until Monday"

The Sky News presenter thought that was hilarious !

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭The Undecided One

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Oh no a Polish guy said that? Well in that case...

Jeez does that Polish lad have nothing better to do than go around the country asking the same silly question? Weird fella him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

valoren wrote: »
    What with the winter olympics and now the snow, I'm bursting to go on a ski holiday, I just know I'd love alpine skiing.

Them ski holidays are dangerous as fuk.nothing as sure as you would end up busted open looking for a doctor to throw a few stitches into you and when you get back to the resort they will charge you 30 euro for a burnt burger and a sloppy pint cos they have you by the goolys.”what’s that sir, you don’t like our prices?maybe try that other mountain over there”.
    No ta

Advertisement