Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snowmagedagain

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

What interesting is reading about the 1982 snow abandoned truck were robbed and cars too we have become a less violent society in some ways and more violent in other ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 SidekickSimon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

cycle4fun wrote: »
    Sure, but a few cm of snow does not catch them on the hop. In some parts of Ireland its a chilly winters day, thats all, yet the country closed. A Polish lad asked whats wrong with the Irish?

Have you seen the UK news and the problems in Scotland? A country more used to extremes than here and everything has shut down.

Have you seen some of the recent stories from Central Europe where they had similar transport infrastructure problems?

Or would you prefer to carry on making stuff up?

It’s not just a chilly winters day, outside of the main arterial routes a lot of roads are covered in compacted ice. Have you actually watched the news or gone outside of your house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Do people not get a weeks shop anymore?

Done it on Monday and grand for the week! I’m in Glasgow which got it’s first red warning yesterday which was really really bad. There’s not that much fuss here though. People just staying home. Schools, colleges, places closed and trains off. Some shops are open and are well stocked with people behaving normally! It’s probably slightly better at dealing with it than Dublin but not by much... far more comparable than Canada anyway. It’s still the worst in 30 years. Sounds a bit crazy what’s going on back home at the minute!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Sure, but a few cm of snow does not catch them on the hop. In some parts of Ireland its a chilly winters day, thats all, yet the country closed. A Polish lad asked whats wrong with the Irish?

Why dont you go on a nice bracing spin on your bike and blow off all the frustrations you have .Sur e it will be grand its only an inch so go out and enjoy the empty roads .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭optogirl

as many have already noted - if we get oppressive heat stroke inducing heat in the Summer are you going to seek out some Saudi Arabians to mock our inability to deal with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,177 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Them ski holidays are dangerous as fuk.nothing as sure as you would end up busted open looking for a doctor to throw a few stitches into you and when you get back to the resort they will charge you 30 euro for a burnt burger and a sloppy pint cos they have you by the goolys.”what’s that sir, you don’t like our prices?maybe try that other mountain over there”.
    No ta

Never been on a ski holiday, I take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Emma due to arrive in the SE and move Northwards in T-4hrs:

WQ6vCIN.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

No buses in Dublin from about now until Saturday at the earliest - just mentioned on RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

mad muffin wrote: »
    It better not :eek: electricity is the o lay thing I have to heat the house. :mad:

Same here. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Not even the Canadians are perfect when caught on the hop .My son lives on the east coast of Canada and last Oct they got early snow .The leaves were still on trees and the snow caused mayhem due to the added weight and trees fell and blocked roads . The drivers were caught out and hadnt got their winters tyres on and the highway was blocked from Vancouver to the north with skidded cars and trucks /.
    The Canadians invest in huge shovels and tyre chains etc because they have to and its worth it .
    They also had major forest fires all along the east coast and mountains and lost huge amounts of forestry . They also get weather events they cannot cope with

That's the West coast, they are all snow flakes there around Vancouver. East coast would be Newfoundland who would be more wilderness with Montreal and Toronto being the big cities. East coast would be more prepared than the West coast for snow

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Thank god all is well h

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Bloody hell. Just back from Tescos
    It is a national emergency, a half inch of snow has fallen in some parts of the country.

Don't know which one of you is worse, cycle4fun for spouting absolute bollox on thread or Mint Sauce for saying Tescos.

That's the West coast, they are all snow flakes there around Vancouver. East coast would be Newfoundland who would be more wilderness with Montreal and Toronto being the big cities. East coast would be more prepared than the West coast for snow

Sorry i meant west coast . And they most certainly are not snowflakes ( stupid word ) . My son is out twice a day since Nov clearing mounds of snow from his steps and paths . . But feel free to mock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If the tinternet goes down I'll end up having to give the missus a rattle :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭gadgiemagoo

mariaalice wrote: »
    What interesting is reading about the 1982 snow abandoned truck were robbed and cars too we have become a less violent society in some ways and more violent in other ways.
    In 1982 we had hardier, local sort of crims, they skated & slid & risked all to thieve. Nowadays they cruise the motorways in high powered cars to attack, terrify & traumatise families all over Ireland .....:angry:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

It's so cold out I just seen a load of Romanians with their hands in their own pockets

(Sorry seen it on Instagram had to post )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It is a national emergency, a half inch of snow has fallen in some parts of the country.

You've been told this before, but the 'emergency' has yet strike. Already 25 cm here from yesterday. Lucky you if you only have 1 to 2 cm, but many of us have much more with worse to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

doylefe wrote: »
    Not much snow where I am right now and reading the posts in the weather forum you'd think people are buried under feet of it in other parts of the country. Then they post a picture and it's pretty tame looking.

Growing up in the southeast I recall plenty of snow events with as much or more accumulations.

If the next 48 hours bring genuinely serious accumulations these people who are currently over exaggerating will die of shock.
    Its about snow sticking more than snowfall, just dropped down to the shops in south Dublin (walking) and the streets are like an ice rink in parts. Places like Canada or Russia would get way more snow, but it's much easier for the public to manage as they'd also have it entirely cleared to the side of the path by 6am.

In Ireland we get hit with this maybe 2-3 days a decade (as in snow properly sticking) so don't have the preparations for it like colder countries. Basically 2ft of snow in Canada or Germany or Russia is a lot more manageable than 4-5 inches here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Lucky you if you only have 1 to 2 cm, but many of us have much more.

Lord knows I do anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Huexotzingo

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

A lot of people might get stuck at work tonight. Especially if they are also working tomorrow.

All the emergency staff, police, healthcare. They all have to be at work and probably will need to be at work tomorrow. My wife just called and said she won’t be making it back home tonight.

It hasn’t stopped snowing since yesterday, and there is more forecast here for the next two days :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Sorry i meant west coast . And they most certainly are not snowflakes ( stupid word ) . My son is out twice a day since Nov clearing mounds of snow from his steps and paths . . But feel free to mock

I lived through a winter in Montreal so I know what the Canadian winters are like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

No snow on the satellite.
    Yet.
    Grand job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

If the news is on later and you have Colette Fitzpatrick (TV3) and the two presenters on RTE news (forget the names!) in studio, does that mean their employer is putting them up in very nearby hotels and paying for their transport to and from same? Its a Red Warning and you shoudnt be outside at all from 4pm to 12pm tomorrow.

Also, the reporters on the "front line". I presume for them its a case of "we don't care if you get hurt whilst outside making reports, its in your contract that you take that risk in these situations"?. I certainly would feel very dodgy going anywhere today even if it was for my job..

If the news is on later and you have Colette Fitzpatrick (TV3) and the two presenters on RTE news (forget the names!) in studio, does that mean their employer is putting them up in very nearby hotels and paying for their transport to and from same? Its a Red Warning and you shoudnt be outside at all from 4pm to 12pm tomorrow.

Also, the reporters on the "front line". I presume for them its a case of "we don't care if you get hurt whilst outside making reports, its in your contract that you take that risk in these situations"?. I certainly would feel very dodgy going anywhere today even if it was for my job..

Ive seen reporters operate in war zones so it shouldn't really be a problem!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Yet.
    Grand job.

Bucketing down here in Tallaght. Hasn't stopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭optogirl

Bucketing down here in Tallaght. Hasn't stopped.

Pretty much the same in Cabra - a few breaks but pretty much snowing constantly since I got up around 8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Think it was the AA Roadwatch wan on Radio One earlier who said she stayed in a hotel near the studio last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Lads you can't compare us to the likes of Canada or Poland.

We're conditioned to a moderate climate, we hardly have seasons for god's sake, just cold rain and mild rain:D.

Of course we're going to react in this manner to heavy snowfall. It's such a rare occurrence where we live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

It's so cold out I just seen a load of Romanians with their hands in their own pockets

:)
    It's so cold out, I just seen a Brass Monkey looking for a Welder

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Yes, twas mentioned on RTE. Hospital staff are also overnighting at their work place.

Heard someone say staff in RTE were all staying there overnight .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Yet.
    Grand job.

None on mine yet either, TV signal still good.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Clickbait

Irish Pride and Brennan's bread stocked up in the local shop. No other bread was available. We should thank the bakers.

Clickbait wrote: »
    Irish Pride and Brennan's bread stocked up in the local shop. No other bread was available. We should thank the bakers.

Agreed. The lovely smell of baked bread is wafting through the kitchen as I type. I married a good oneðŸ˜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Joe Exotic

Not sure you Quite Understand that saying:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

WTF????????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Funny to see people thanks whoring all over the net about us not being able to handle 'a bit of snow' (as opposed to countries that experience regular heavy snowfall) as if they are imparting something of great profundity.

Ironically, if we did prioritise large amounts of state funding for events that very rarely transpired, the same knuckleheads would be losing the plot as usual about every cent that doesn't end up in their pay packets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

Funny to see people thanks whoring all over the net about us not being able to handle 'a bit of snow' (as opposed to countries that experience regular heavy snowfall) as if they are imparting something of great profundity.

Ironically, if we did prioritise large amounts of state funding for events that very rarely transpired, the same knuckleheads would be losing the plot as usual about every cent that doesn't end up in their pay packets.

Getting worse now accprding to news at 1. Possibly here until next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

The Department of Health has warned people not to wear coats indoors as it’ll not be worth a curse to you when you go out into that. Ye’ll have lost the benefit of it lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I don't like Brennans. Too doughy.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭gadgiemagoo

I don't like Brennans. Too doughy.
    I don't like Brennans. Too dear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Joe Exotic

degsie wrote: »

Ya understood but the Previous quote was

Implying a statue of a Monkey made from brass

was trying to upload a pic but couldnt figure out how so i went looking for a link and you beat me to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

Power is fine for me over in D3, but I'm being advised to charge valuables ready by the chance of a power outage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 SidekickSimon

Health and safety gone mad !!
    Seriously an entire day lost.
    The weather hasnt changed much in the past 24 hours. The warnings are from 4pm today and into tommorow.
    Why did the country have to close down today ??:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Brassmonkey.gif

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Advertisement
Advertisement