Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snowmagedagain

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Ok Mother Nature, this was fun but enough already!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭no.8

Funny to see people thanks whoring all over the net about us not being able to handle 'a bit of snow' (as opposed to countries that experience regular heavy snowfall) as if they are imparting something of great profundity.

Ironically, if we did prioritise large amounts of state funding for events that very rarely transpired, the same knuckleheads would be losing the plot as usual about every cent that doesn't end up in their pay packets.

Couldn't agree more.
    In case these folk are reading this, I'd like to add to your remark.

Unexpected moderate to heavy snowfall in the lowland areas of Switzerland overnight caused chaos this morning, luckily the snow has stopped. Geneva airport was shut for some time. I think earlier in the week, Stockholm airport was also shut for some time.
    Yes there are snow plow drivers working frantically and many of them and the systems likely return to fully operational that bit quicker, but heavy snowfall and blizzards cause BIG problems with infrastructure, in urban areas or rural (whiteout conditions) whichever country is affected, be it near alpine ranges or high latitudes.

Stay off the roads folks. Hope it's not as bad as they predicted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Health and safety gone mad !!
    Seriously an entire day lost.
    The weather hasnt changed much in the past 24 hours. The warnings are from 4pm today and into tommorow.
    Why did the country have to close down today ??:confused:

Are you not watching any news ? Its not arrived yet . Its due to make landfall at 4 pm and move north .Stopping at 4 pm is too late as rhen people get stranded and can't get home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

The weather hasnt changed much in the past 24 hours. The warnings are from 4pm today and into tommorow.

The warnings have been since yesterday. Think of 4pm as a red flashy alert. It's already at red. Did you ever see Capt. Kirk say Red alert, no not that red alert the double red alert. No because that would be stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Over a foot of snow lying in areas out the back in my parents house! I didn’t realise til I sank! 6”,7”, 10”... 14”!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Still on at the moment, thankfully. Oddly enough, had someone around this morning to read the meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

If the news is on later and you have Colette Fitzpatrick (TV3) and the two presenters on RTE news (forget the names!) in studio, does that mean their employer is putting them up in very nearby hotels and paying for their transport to and from same? Its a Red Warning and you shoudnt be outside at all from 4pm to 12pm tomorrow.

Also, the reporters on the "front line". I presume for them its a case of "we don't care if you get hurt whilst outside making reports, its in your contract that you take that risk in these situations"?. I certainly would feel very dodgy going anywhere today even if it was for my job..

I was subjected to listening to 2fm in work yesterday and Nicky Byrne and Jenny Greene were talking about having to stay in a nearby hotel in order to be on the radio today so I'd say other news reporters and radio djs are the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I had to laugh at a fella posting on a local mammy's buy and sell page on FB earlier. Basically asked was no-one able to check the website of the business they were enquiring was open, or twitter etc, rather than endlessly posting questions of the same on the page.

And the page was literally chock-a-block with inane questions: "Does ne1 no if <school> is open 2day?".....****e like that.

The people that can't operate the internet beyond FB are the people I fear for the most during this event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Beethoven9th

Just about to head up to the Sally Gap for some skiing. Have a jeep so no worries there !
    Cant believe all the health and safety nonsense talk
    I'll be having my fun and thats all that matters !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Oh give over! Much of the country is already in the grip of very dangerous road conditions. You might get to use those snow grips yet.

This edgy hard persona is wearing thin. Go out and get supplies for a few elderly neighbours if you are stuck for something to do during the balmy weather .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Just about to head up to the Sally Gap for some skiing. Have a jeep so no worries there !

the only overturned cars I have seen in my town today and yesterday are 4x4's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

So if you have a fall and break your back, can we tell the air rescue not to bother going up for you, as you don’t give a **** about anyone else?

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

BailMeOut wrote: »
    the only overturned cars I have seen in my town today and yesterday are 4x4's.

Same here. Hopefully the emergency services don't end up having to divert much needed resources to assist a stranded skier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

And the page was literally chock-a-block with inane questions: "Does ne1 no if <school> is open 2day?".....****e like that.

The people that can't operate the internet beyond FB are the people I fear for the most during this event.

A good cull would do wonders for the nation's average IQ. Do these people realise that they're actually on the internet when they're on Facebook?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Yeah the weather hasnt changed much and driving conditions are still pretty sh*t.

What critical piece of work did you have to do today that you couldn't get done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,940 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

going to watch Day after tomorrow for the laugh

It's frustrating not been able to go outside but relaxing at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Some Yoke

Who is laughing at generation snowflake now??? 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

sw-With%20O2.jpg
    Just popped out for a drop of milk, absolutely baltic lads. Stay in and stay safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

It’s already blizzard like out the window. It’s like I’m looking out of a snow globe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

mad muffin wrote: »
    It’s already blizzard like out the window. It’s like I’m looking out of a snow globe.

Best way to describe it. It's a bit surreal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Yes, Armageddon due at precisely 16.00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

PTH2009 wrote: »

“That time has come and gone my friend”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

its ok... the boss said that the storm isn't going to hit us here in Sth Kilkenny until 7.00.. we are working until 5 !!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Who cares, go on up in your jeep, which you somehow look at as a snow groomer or a tank :D. Have you snow chains fitted? If not then you're foolish. I've seen plenty of jeeps lying on the side of mountain passes in my time.

They (the warnings) are in place to prevent accidents on the roads, as they are inexperienced or downright dangerous drivers all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

Johnny Vegas angry because he can't get flight out of Dublin Airport.

I would rather be safe. Just saying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Are ferries operating?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

I have two sons in the Emergency Services, and on duty today.
    I hope they don't have to risk their lives rescuing idiots like you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Are ferries operating?

Yes. The icebreakers are cutting a passage out from Dun Laoire.

• Advertisement

Fann Linn wrote: »

Good for them but the ferry doesn't leave from Dun Laoire anymore !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

foxyladyxx wrote: »
    Johnny Vegas angry because he can't get flight out of Dublin Airport.

I would rather be safe. Just saying

No point getting angry with weather.
    Bit pointless really.

DanMurphy wrote: »

My thanks to all of them . Well done lads

DanMurphy wrote: »

Oh but don't worry @DanMurphy....'he has his jeep, so no worries there' :rolleyes:

Hope they (your sons) are not put in harms way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Good for them but the ferry doesn't leave from Dun Laoire anymore !!

Fast ferries

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Good conditions to try and break the Dub-Holyhead speed record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Good conditions to try and break the Dub-Holyhead speed record.

On ice skates?

Fast ferries

Nope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

NIMAN wrote: »
    No point getting angry with weather.
    Bit pointless really.

In fairness to him he was more annoyed with the lack of organisation in Dublin airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

He's more angry about the lack of free drinks and steak or buckets of lamb chops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

More of the snow clearing, than settling here in Sligo at the mo, couple of wintery showers blowing in an incresing breeze, thats about it so far. But do have some pretty impresive icicles forming from the shed roof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 SidekickSimon

Just built a snowman and used a rather large carrot to give him a massive cock

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

PTH2009 wrote: »

Ha ha just stuck it on myself.....good flick for the day thats in it.

Patww79 wrote: »

South East coast for 16:00

greenspurs wrote: »
    its ok... the boss said that the storm isn't going to hit us here in Sth Kilkenny until 7.00.. we are working until 5 !!

Direct him to the explicit comments from the NECC that nobody should be outdoors after 4pm. It was quite clear and specific.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Anyone else starting to think at 4pm the skies will open and thousands of KGB agents will drop from the clouds. Red Afternoon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

Anyone else starting to think at 4pm the skies will open and thousands of KGB agents will drop from the clouds. Red Afternoon

No just a lot of snow and high winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I was out there clearing the ice from the steps where I live, thats ****ing hard going. Wouldn't like to be doing it all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Finished work early and now I'm climbing up the walls waiting for the apocalypse to hit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement