Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snowmagedagain

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,201 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Fast ferries

yes, they are gone from there as well. no ferries serve don laoire mnow.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 SidekickSimon

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Yes, Armageddon due at precisely 16.00

Exactly 4pm ????

I will be more than dissappointed if its 4.01 and its not armageddon !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Young one just passed our place with a mini skirt on her. Can't be letting the cold get in the way of fashion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Snow fox at 3 o'clock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Snow fox at 3 o'clock

More likely a Snow Beaver :rolleyes:

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Snow joke I tells ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

If I don't make it through this, I just want to say what a pleasure it has been knowing you all and posting on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Breeze has settleed again in Sligo, flurries have stopped, and the sun is back out. Is this the calm before 'the storm'?
    If I don't make it through this, I just want to say what a pleasure it has been knowing you all and posting on here.

Money made available a day early equals drugs made available a day early super liminal effect of snow being everywhere hardly helps the situation unless you are dealing snow of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Ireland apparently is officially closed.
    Never in my life heard such nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

giphy.gif

Anyone one want a half eaten loaf of bread, I'm sick of bread now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Breeze has settleed again in Sligo, flurries have stopped, and the sun is back out. Is this the calm before 'the storm]

Sligo is going to get the worst of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Come over to this area and say that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

kneemos wrote: »

I have...on the other half dozen threads on the same subject

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

giphy.gif

I also picked the wrong week to give up cigarettes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Clickbait

Snowstorm in 1982
    https://youtu.be/Afss7QL4wAc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Young one just passed our place with a mini skirt on her. Can't be letting the cold get in the way of fashion!

Presumably with leggings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Vela

I've been pretty ill the past while and indoors, so totally thought people were overreacting, but then I went out for food today and everywhere was closed! Walking more than 10mins or so isn't happening for me right now, have a nasty chest infection going on.

Does anyone know if any takeaway joints are open today in Dublin south city centre that cater to vegans? (I know, I know, I'm the worst). I'm finally getting my appetite back and my fridge is basically empty :/ As in, I have juice and an apple!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

It's not like everyone getting cash per se, but people getting their dole and allowances from the post office, so if that was your only income then yep, you'd freak. It's not like people think cash in general is running out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

kneemos wrote: »

That's you, isn't it? Don't lie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Presumably with leggings?

Tights!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Word of power outages around kildare and parts of Dublin now. That's no joke if people lose their central heating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Theres a storm arriving that will bring at least 6 inches of snow to most areas of the south and east in the space of one evening/night, hardly nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

I'm still able to use my PC right now, fortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

J. Marston wrote: »

That's you, isn't it? Don't lie.
    Poor chap's ancestors froze to death on the Eastern front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

People are a lot thicker then back in the day and if Google goes down they are in grave danger.

Seriously isn't it a better idea when weather is so bad that people are at home chilling literally but in all fairness fairly safe and less risk of weather related injuries or deaths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

It's only one day ffs. Just back from driving on the M50 and M4. Both roads were absolutely fine. My OH is Canadian and she is laughing her ass off at the reaction to a few inches of snow. Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann have cancelled their services. Not sure what it is like down the country but no need for DB to cancel their services.

• Advertisement

The post office wouldn't have the payments for both days being Thursday and Friday unless it had been prearranged adding to that the doubling of the fuel allowance that would leave the post office broke and out of cash very fast now due to this weather being primarily on the east coast An Post won't be sending a any further amounts of cash and may not even open this office again until Monday now leading to an influx of people 2 or more times capacity of the expected people for today with many of them getting the extra fuel allowance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Vela wrote: »
    I've been pretty ill the past while and indoors, so totally thought people were overreacting, but then I went out for food today and everywhere was closed! Walking more than 10mins or so isn't happening for me right now, have a nasty chest infection going on.

Does anyone know if any takeaway joints are open today in Dublin south city centre that cater to vegans? (I know, I know, I'm the worst). I'm finally getting my appetite back and my fridge is basically empty :/ As in, I have juice and an apple!

Saw on the telly that Spar on Dame street were supposedly staying open. You might be able to get something there?

Word of power outages around kildare and parts of Dublin now. That's no joke if people lose their central heating

It might work out well. A well needed cull of the weak !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

Berserker wrote: »
    It's only one day ffs. Just back from driving on the M50 and M4. Both roads were absolutely fine. My OH is Canadian and she is laughing her ass off at the reaction to a few inches of snow. Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann have cancelled their services. Not sure what it is like down the country but no need for DB to cancel their services.

Canadians get it every year
    We get it once every 30 years. Why does she find it so funny?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Canadians are used to snow and low temperatures. We're not. That's the difference. This is probably a mild spring day to them, but to us it IS a big deal. This is probably a once in a decade event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Maybe because she's used to it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Anyone one want a half eaten loaf of bread, I'm sick of bread now.

Ireland come Saturday

443799.png

Big cluster up in lusk so far only thing in Dublin area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Remind me never to work for someone like you. Its a Status Red Alert warning lasting from 4pm to 12pm tomorrow with extreme cold and blizzard conditions and yet you think DB staff should still be out there working.

Me to son: "you call this snow!, i remember the snow of 1982"

My Dad: "1982 ?, that was snow for girls!!, I was there in 1963, that was real snow!"

My Grandad (staring intensely into the fire): "None of ye know what snow is. I was there for the snow of 1947. BLACK '47 as we called it"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Well my friend's sister's uncle's husband's nephew's niece says your wife has a fat arse

Remind me never to work for someone like you. Its a Status Red Alert warning lasting from 4pm to 12pm tomorrow with extreme cold and blizzard conditions and yet you think DB staff should still be out there working.

3pm tomorrow now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The post office wouldn't have the payments for both days being Thursday and Friday unless it had been prearranged adding to that the doubling of the fuel allowance that would leave the post office broke and out of cash very fast now due to this weather being primarily on the east coast An Post won't be sending a any further amounts of cash and may not even open this office again until Monday now leading to an influx of people 2 or more times capacity of the expected people for today with many of them getting the extra fuel allowance.
    This is it. If you imagine that the banks all said they were gonna shut down the ATMs until 10am on Monday morning, you'd have a sizeable rush of people clearing out the ATMs to make sure they had a few hundred euro in their wallets to keep them going over the weekend. That said, with debit cards being virtually ubiquitous, even that is less of an issue now.

For some people on social welfare, they're effectively penniless without their cash over the counter at the post office. So this isn't actually a crazy overreaction from them, but bad planning on the part of the post office.

What is ridiculous is some hack journalist asking if ATMs will run out of cash with the bank branches closed. It's not 1985 FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Here comes Emma, she looks rather p'd off and is gathering gusto.
    Surfers in Devon are about to fee the ladies rath.

ETA Waterford/Wexford maybe 16:15ish
    oowdTgi.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Dev84 wrote: »
    Why does she find it so funny?

Because the reaction is completely OTT. Professional drivers, Dublin Bus for example, not working because a few inches of snow. There is no snow on the M50 & M4, as I said above. The post office running out of cash. Shops closing down. Tram services not running in Dublin. Dublin airport cancelling all flights until Saturday. To name but a few.

Big cluster up in lusk so far only thing in Dublin area

Bucketing in maynooth for at least 3 hours now. Looking at garden there has easily been 6-7 cm in that time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Threads merged

Advertisement