Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snowmagedagain

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

anna080 wrote: »
    Well my friend's sister's uncle's husband's nephew's niece says your wife has a fat arse
    French Canadian genes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Me to son: "you call this snow!, i remember the snow of 1982"

My Dad: "1982 ?, that was snow for girls!!, I was there in 1963, that was real snow!"

My Grandad (staring intensely into the fire): "None of ye know what snow is. I was there for the snow of 1947. BLACK '47 as we called it"

So your grandad is a racist then?

Down with this sort of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Dev84 wrote: »
    Bucketing in maynooth for at least 3 hours now. Looking at garden there has easily been 6-7 cm in that time.

I meant big cluster of power cuts not snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Berserker wrote: »
    Because the reaction is completely OTT. Professional drivers, Dublin Bus for example, not working because a few inches of snow. There is no snow on the M50 & M4, as I said above. The post office running out of cash. Shops closing down. Tram services not running in Dublin. Dublin airport cancelling all flight until Saturday. To name but a few.

This is an EXTREME WEATHER EVENT. Well it is for Ireland.

Maybe your gf should remove herself back to Canada if she wants "real" weather. Y'know, once the airports open up again after the CODE RED.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

Because the reaction is completely OTT. Professional drivers, Dublin Bus for example, not working because a few inches of snow. There is no snow on the M50 & M4, as I said above. The post office running out of cash. Shops closing down. Tram services not running in Dublin. Dublin airport cancelling all flight until Saturday. To name but a few.

Its the same all over uk and europe have a look.

Its called mitigating the risk. If people are out they are at more of a risk hence the red warning and to stay indoors.

Id much rather live in a climate like ours where events like this are exceptional. Most parts of canada are desolate and isolated other than the big cities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Well my friend's sister's uncle's husband's nephew's niece says your wife has a fat arse

Well, that's just not cricket.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

kneemos wrote: »
    Ireland apparently is officially closed.
    Never in my life heard such nonsense.

Have you not read your own threads???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

pokin the fire with a stick. Is currently about 6-8 inches of snow lying where I am and the main event has yet to start. I'm starting to wonder how much weight my roof will take, it's drifting by the stack and every now and again a gust will blow and a pile of dusty snow falls from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

T minus 13 minutes до свида́нья

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Clickbait

Because the reaction is completely OTT. Professional drivers, Dublin Bus for example, not working because a few inches of snow. There is no snow on the M50 & M4, as I said above. The post office running out of cash. Shops closing down. Tram services not running in Dublin. Dublin airport cancelling all flights until Saturday. To name but a few.

It's not OTT. It's a bitter cold spell which is bringing the snow along with a storm on the way. The last time something like this happened was 36 years ago. It's better to shut down before it starts and have everyone safe at home or having very little travel. Ireland isn't used to these cold spells.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

It's only one day ffs. Just back from driving on the M50 and M4. Both roads were absolutely fine. My OH is Canadian and she is laughing her ass off at the reaction to a few inches of snow. Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann have cancelled their services. Not sure what it is like down the country but no need for DB to cancel their services.

Tell her we didnt laugh our ass off when they had huge forest fires .You see everyone country has its limits and they try their best and do their best with the equipment they have . The forest fires caused huge problems all along the area around Whistler in Canada for months on end and the Canadians had no control over it . No one laughed then .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 SidekickSimon

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    So your grandad is a racist then?

Down with this sort of thing.

These old timers !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Canadians get it every year
    We get it once every 30 years. Why does she find it so funny?
    DoozerT6 wrote: »
    This is an EXTREME WEATHER EVENT. Well it is for Ireland.

Maybe your gf should remove herself back to Canada if she wants "real" weather. Y'know, once the airports open up again after the CODE RED.

Maybe she finds the ultra-defensive attitudes hilarious. It's a bit of snow at the end of the day, no need for people to be losing their ****, panic-buying, closing down the country, etc.

Totally over the top reaction, not surprised we have foreign visitors bemused by it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭Bracken81

Is it the colder weather or having to stay in with the family that makes everyone a bit tetchier?
    Somebody should do a Poll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Because the reaction is completely OTT. Professional drivers, Dublin Bus for example, not working because a few inches of snow. There is no snow on the M50 & M4, as I said above. The post office running out of cash. Shops closing down. Tram services not running in Dublin. Dublin airport cancelling all flights until Saturday. To name but a few.

We could invest in Canadian-style infrastructure so that the country wouldn't have to shut down, but that also might be an OTT reaction to something that happens so rarely here. Shutting everything down instead makes sense.

You do know that the storm has not yet arrived dont you .? Do you want the bus drivers to risk their own lives so a few stragglers can get home .? The warning gave people plenty of time to get home and get safe or stay put .Its that easy .Safety is the key not gung ho attitude

Maybe she finds the ultra-defensive attitudes hilarious. It's a bit of snow at the end of the day, no need for people to be losing their ****, panic-buying, closing down the country, etc.

Totally over the top reaction, not surprised we have foreign visitors bemused by it all.

But parts of europe are reacting in exaclty the same way. Uk might not be able to meet gas demands today. Public transport and ports suspended. So its europe over reacting?

Sure let those foreign visitors wander around in it if they like .Lets see how many run indoors then

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

My Dad: "1982 ?, that was snow for girls!!, I was there in 1963, that was real snow!"

My Grandad (staring intensely into the fire): "None of ye know what snow is. I was there for the snow of 1947. BLACK '47 as we called it"

'47 was by far the worst though wasn't it? My father would have lived through them all and he only ever mentioned 47, same with other older people. I never heard anyone mention '82 until this week

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    You do know that the storm has not yet arrived dont you .? Do you want the bus drivers to risk their own lives so a few stragglers can get home .? The warning gave people plenty of time to get home and get safe or stay put .Its that easy .Safety is the key not gung ho attitude

There have been plenty of people who are working essential services who had no choice but to go to work. Closing down the entire transport network hasnt helped them.... their on their own it seems...

• Advertisement

'47 was by far the worst though wasn't it? My father would have lived through them all and he only ever mentioned 47

Yeah there was 12 feet of snow in many parts !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

RTE 1 o'clock news were interviewing some fella in Tullamore who was talking about the treacherous driving conditions. So treacherous that he was not wearing his seat belt.

There have been plenty of people who are working essential services who had no choice but to go to work. Closing down the entire transport network hasnt helped them.... their on their own it seems...

So you want the bus drivers to risk life for others do you ? The emergency services are wonderful and would not appreciate you recommending taking risks and adding their huge workload

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

But parts of europe are reacting in exaclty the same way. Uk might not be able to meet gas demands today. Public transport and ports suspended. So its europe over reacting?

Public transport isn't suspended in London. Good bit of snow there also. My brother arrived into Heathrow from Seoul an hour ago. He is stuck in London until Saturday now. Going to go up to the Emirates and try to get a ticket from the Arsenal v Man City game tonight, so London seems to be functioning fine.

Public transport isn't suspended in London. Good bit of snow there also. My brother arrived into Heathrow from Souel an hour ago. He is stuck in London until Saturday now. Going to go up to the Emirates and try to get a ticket from the Arsenal v Man City game.

https://news.sky.com/story/live-travel-disruption-as-storm-emma-rolls-in-11271510

Did i say london?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭facehugger99

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    So you want the bus drivers to risk life for others do you ?

Risk life?
    Sure, don't get up in the morning if you can't handle a bit of risk. All this hyperbolic nonsense over a couple of inches of snow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Why is everything closed today?it's no worse than yesterday.

The "blizzard" won't arrive until tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Risk life?
    Sure, don't get up in the morning if you can't handle a bit of risk. All this hyperbolic nonsense over a couple of inches of snow.

I thought yee trolls preferred BookFace ..... :rolleyes:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

'47 was by far the worst though wasn't it? My father would have lived through them all and he only ever mentioned 47, same with other older people. I never heard anyone mention '82 until this week
    Wasn't Black 47 the worst year of the famine - 1847?
    I remember my grandparents talking about "White 47" instead - referring to the bad winter of 1947 :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Public transport isn't suspended in London. Good bit of snow there also. My brother arrived into Heathrow from Seoul an hour ago. He is stuck in London until Saturday now. Going to go up to the Emirates and try to get a ticket from the Arsenal v Man City game tonight, so London seems to be functioning fine.

How does London keep its underground network going in this weather?

It's a moot point really, the city has a population twice that of our entire country and no doubt the services to match.

Relax and enjoy your day off.

And find an Irish woman, Canadian sense of humour sounds rubbish ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Wasn't Black 47 the worst year of the famine - 1847?
    I remember my grandparents talking about "White 47" instead - referring to the bad winter of 1947 :O

The Big Snow I thought. Black 47 is the famine alright though, and the new movie about the Famine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

I'm just going outside; I may be away some time.

Collie D wrote: »
    How do London keep their underground network going in this weather?

It's a moot point really, the city has a population twice that of our entire country and no doubt the services to match.

Relax and enjoy your day off.

And find an Irish woman, Canadian sense of humour sounds rubbish ;)

They are renowned for not having a sense of humour. Damn mini yanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Why is everything closed today?it's no worse than yesterday.

The "blizzard" won't arrive until tonight.

Have you been living under a rock? This has been asked and answered several times.
    No worse than yesterday? Perhaps, but we were snowed in yesterday too.

What part of the country are you in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm just going outside; I may be away some time.
    Well, we'll keep the engine running but if you're not back by the time the Beast gets here, we're gonna have to leave you behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Risk life?

SCHHHHHWARRRRRRR

Dunnes Cornelscourt closed all day today so went to Tesco Stillorgan and the place was like Christmas Eve. Queues everywhere, all the fresh soup and bread gone, except McCambridge's wholemeal which must have been the only bread delivered today.

Some bright spark decided to tie his/her dog's lead to the shopping trolley holder so people couldn't return their trolley without jamming the dog between trolleys.... Some people should be banned from breathing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Encroaching now into the SE tip.

But wonder if Western Engerland might have a 'M.Fish' moment as it seems to be veering slightly towards their S/West Coast also.
    The first heavy band (of which there may be several) at 1555 seems to be right along their South Coast.

The radar may of course be missing some of the SW area which may quickly pounce on Cork at about 1700.

s2HKMsw.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Just about to head up to the Sally Gap for some skiing. Have a jeep so no worries there !
    Cant believe all the health and safety nonsense talk
    I'll be having my fun and thats all that matters !

If you're genuine, which I doubt, it's a pity the emergency services have to waste time saving people like you if you get into difficulties.

I'd leave you up there in a heartbeat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

At what stage will cannibalism become a viable option I wonder?

When the loafs run out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

Tv3 reporter just got a snowball in the head on live telly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Feed the birds, not the trolls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Have you been living under a rock? This has been asked and answered several times.
    No worse than yesterday? Perhaps, but we were snowed in yesterday too.

What part of the country are you in?

In Wexford,and like 90% of the country doesn't have enough snow to make a snowball.

Wexford County Council have just issued an alert to stay indoors for the next 24-36 hours!
    It's cold windy and snowy,but what the **** like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Dunnes Cornelscourt closed all day today so went to Tesco Stillorgan and the place was like Christmas Eve. .

Dunnes closing should be a sign this is going to be bad. Those whores would chain their staff to the tills

If you're genuine, which I doubt, it's a pity the emergency services have to waste time saving people like you if you get into difficulties.

I'd leave you up there in a heartbeat.

I think he might be winding up people like you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Nothing wrong with a fat arse, keeps you warm during the cold weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I think he might be winding up people like you

Guilty as charged :D

In Wexford,and like 90% of the country doesn't have enough snow to make a snowball.

Wexford County Council have just issued an alert to stay indoors for the next 24-36 hours!
    It's cold windy and snowy,but what the **** like?

At least 40cm accumalted here in maynooth. Count yourself lucky.

Nothing wrong with a fat arse, keeps you warm during the cold weather.

Canadian bacon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement