Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snowmagedagain

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Archeron wrote: »
    Tv3 reporter ust got a snowball in the head on live telly :D

Is that the same reporter who got ploughed out of it by a young lad on a sledge? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Archeron wrote: »
    Tv3 reporter ust got a snowball in the head on live telly :D
    Martin King will strangle the culprit, one would imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

'47 was by far the worst though wasn't it? My father would have lived through them all and he only ever mentioned 47, same with other older people. I never heard anyone mention '82 until this week

I think 82 wasn't that long or that cold it was more the intense heavy snowstorm(s) which is more similar to this than 47

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

kneemos wrote: »
    In Wexford,and like 90% of the country doesn't have enough snow to make a snowball.

Wexford County Council have just issued an alert to stay indoors for the next 24-36 hours!
    It's cold windy and snowy,but what the **** like?

There could be up to 30cm of snow falling in wexford during that time frame so thats why theres a warning

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Am I the only one that kinda fancies that Siobhan weather woman on RTE?

This must be like their pulitzer moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Berserker wrote: »
    .......... Tram services not running in Dublin.

After the snow in 1982 , there was no Luas service for almost two decades. I bet your g/f never thought of that, before she started mocking us,did she?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

something to whet the appetite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

wakka12 wrote: »
    There could be up to 30cm of snow falling in wexford during that time frame so thats why theres a warning

So why is everything closed today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

Is Wexford the only part of the country that doesn't have snow? I'm in Dublin and there's certainly a decent amount so far. Was tough walking to the shop last night without slipping so I'm staying inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Am I the only one that kinda fancies that Siobhan weather woman on RTE?

This must be like their pulitzer moment.

TV3's weather woman yesterday would have gave a snowman an erection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Collie D wrote: »
    Dunnes closing should be a sign this is going to be bad. Those whores would chain their staff to the tills

They'll probably use this weather to promote the continuing use of zero hour contracts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Well my bar is insisting we open throughout the day again today and after damaging my car driving in yesterday which will cost more than the wage to fix I refused to do my 7pm to closing shift. Forsee a cut to my hours in my future but don't care. Really bad form at this point imo. Anyone venturing to the pub especially in less urban areas remember the guy or gal behind the taps might have further to travel to get home after you all leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Complete non even here in Dublin 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Well my bar is insisting we open throughout the day again today and after damaging my car driving in yesterday which will cost more than the wage to fix I refused to do my 7pm to closing shift. Forsee a cut to my hours in my future but don't care. Really bad form at this point imo. Anyone venturing to the pub especially in less urban areas remember the guy or gal behind the taps might have further to travel to get home after you all leave.

That's bad form, on the other hand could you give me a hot one.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

All bars here in maynooth are open as far as i know. Crazy stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    So you want the bus drivers to risk life for others do you ? The emergency services are wonderful and would not appreciate you recommending taking risks and adding their huge workload
    Risk life?
    Sure, don't get up in the morning if you can't handle a bit of risk. All this hyperbolic nonsense over a couple of inches of snow.

Somehow the bus driver got a grip... you should too.

Omackeral wrote: »

Somehow the bus driver got a grip... you should too.

Another nutter driving far too fast for the conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I've heard all the warnings but nobody has yet mentioned when I should take my iodine tablets!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

BillyBobBS wrote: »

You realise the forecast is for tonight. Not exactly 4pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

In the midst of the snowmageddon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Pathetic little snow falls here in D16. The laughable overkill from people and the media is a national embarrassment.

Good to see you were safely able to travel from D16 to D14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Well if that's true, which I don't think it is, it only proves the point somewhat no? As in he/she is not used to driving in those conditions. Yes we know you'd be better but then how do you account for the near poor visibility and then the absolute plonker doing a u-turn in the middle of the road. Even if you do let the pro drivers out there, you can't account for other idiots driving around unnecessarily like our very own skier in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Name and shame

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭gadgiemagoo

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I've heard all the warnings but nobody has yet mentioned when I should take my iodine tablets!:eek:
    I'm amazed you can find them!! Hoarder? :blush:

murpho999 wrote: »
    You realise the forecast is for tonight. Not exactly 4pm.

Meh. Some lad on the wireless now saying 8pm before we see anything, it was 4pm at lunchtime :pac:

Looking outside if anything the snow is beginning to thaw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Speed had very little to do with it. If you brake in those conditions at 50kph or 10kph the results will be similar. You will skid out of control.

Good to see you were safely able to travel from D16 to D14

Like i said it's not actually day after tomorrow type stuff in fairness.

Speed had very little to do with it. If you brake in those conditions at 50kph or 10kph the results would be similar. You will skid out of control.

:pac:

Okay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Billy Connolly had a balaclava when he was young ... it did not go well. :eek:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Meh. Some lad on the wireless now saying 8pm before we see anything, it was 4pm at lunchtime :pac:

No warning was for anywhere at 16:00 except the S.E. coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Just wear a wooly hat if you're that cold they are good for protecting the ears in the cold.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Clickbait

Does anyone else find that it's not that cold with the snow? I have been colder without the snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mat cauthon

Where is Storm Emma?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

I'm down here in mallow, it's grand and dry but cold, just back from a good long walk, happy to keep it this way, stay safe out there lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Clickbait wrote: »
    Does anyone else find that it's not that cold with the snow? I have been colder without the snow.

Snow only forms within a certain temp range, it can be too cold to snow as the air will be too dry.

Dublin airport is a disgrace, it's as if they didn't realise people could end up "trapped" there.

Serious stuff here to bw fair
    Just keeps snowing. Not that heavy but its non stop now for 4 hours or so.

Clickbait wrote: »
    My old country Ma says "it's too cold for snow" & she's usually right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

kneemos wrote: »
    So why is everything closed today?

Because lots of roads are not safe to drive on and there is no public transport.

It's called foresight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 SidekickSimon

"its too cold for snow" is a phrase I used to hear a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 SidekickSimon

Because lots of roads are not safe to drive on and there is no public transport.

It's called foresight.

Its also called complete overreaction from politicians and the media. They are all so scared that they might be blamed for doing too little that they go way too far :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Speed had very little to do with it. If you brake in those conditions at 50kph or 10kph the results will be similar. You will skid out of control.

The faster you're driving, it's more likely you'll have to brake.

Its also called complete overreaction from politicians and the media. They are all so scared that they might be blamed for doing too little that they go way too far :mad:

When was the last time we had an event if this magnitude with snow like this?

There is an immediate danger. They are mitigating the risk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Clickbait

Snow only forms within a certain temp range, it can be too cold to snow as the air will be too dry.

It doesn't explain why I'm not feeling the cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

James 007 wrote: »
    That's bad form, on the other hand could you give me a hot one.
    Dev84 wrote: »
    All bars here in maynooth are open as far as i know. Crazy stuff.

I do get it though; everyone is off and we do often play the role of community hub. I'm in this industry because I love seeing people enjoy themselves and like to play a part in it but yesterday I was still trying to get people who live near the pub out at one AM because it was like a Saturday night. I had whats usually a 15 minute drive home on some dinky back roads still to face, certain that others in my trade faced much worse and we are all guilty of losing our empathy with a few drinks on us.

I'd hope those bars have live in staff or something if opening late tonight!
    Birneybau wrote: »
    Name and shame

When I find some new work maybe ;) I have had some terrible bosses in my life who hasn't? And some amazing ones! But these are a different breed of human and for the sake of my general optimistic view of my fellow human beings I'm going to have to extricate myself before I find myself a bitter cynical old man :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

In negative temperatures, where it's still snowing?

okp66FD.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

The couple from Miami on TV3 were hilarious. They are here on their honeymoon.

It's called foresight.

Wish they showed same foresight during the Banks collapse - they make sure we're all safe now if ye have a home to be in by 4pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,629 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Stay safe and warm y'all

• Advertisement
Advertisement