Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snowmagedagain

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Ursummupet

The amount of people who missed work today needlessly must be in the thousands.
    So long as it's taken out of their annual leave they might learn not to believe the scaremongering that goes on in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Its also called complete overreaction from politicians and the media. They are all so scared that they might be blamed for doing too little that they go way too far :mad:

You do realise they have to make decisions for the country and not just where you are?

And is it only am overreaction cos nothing had happened...which would be because they took the action they did?

What would you be doing anyway that you seem so put out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭Christy42

Its also called complete overreaction from politicians and the media. They are all so scared that they might be blamed for doing too little that they go way too far :mad:

Yes there is no public transport for two days. That is not way too far. That is a minor issue in the grand scheme of things and pretty sure you are over reacting yourself. Work from for a day or two or get two days off. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. It seems to be getting mad over very little really.

Driving conditions are unsafe (yes you could crash any day but the are riskier today - the you could die any day argument is idiotic). We do not have the infrastructure to deal with it and keep roads clear (and yes many are icy right now). Sure it is OK right now with people being careful but you stick hundreds of tired motorists on the roads this evening and you are asking for accidents to happen.

You also add in how early it gets dark which increases risk and the fact that we don't want people getting stranded when it hits properly and you have good reason for early warnings.

Wish they showed same foresight during the Banks collapse - they make sure we're all safe now if ye have a home to be in by 4pm.

Yeah, weather and banking are exactly the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Clickbait wrote: »
    Does anyone else find that it's not that cold with the snow? I have been colder without the snow.

Been saying this alot the past few days.

Also I was in Budapest in January. It was alot colder there but didn't feel like it. Got off the plane in Dublin airport to the usual wind, I wanted to hope back on board to snowy Budapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Do people honestly think that in a few hours Met Eireann are going to say oh sorry lads, we got it all wrong, sure we don't know how to read any of those radar thingies, ignore us in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Looking outside if anything the snow is beginning to thaw.

It's not thawing. It's very dry and powdery and is being blown around, thus giving the impression that it is somehow thawing, despite temperatures being below zero all day.

In other news, these cows are small. Those cows are far away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Yeah the thaw is on.
    High Today
    -0.6°C
    17:12

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Ursummupet

erica74 wrote: »
    Do people honestly think that in a few hours Met Eireann are going to say oh sorry lads, we got it all wrong, sure we don't know how to read any of those radar thingies, ignore us in future.

I don't care whether they do or don't, people need to be personally responsible for their own decisions and stop hiding behind these weather alerts.
    They're a joke and until such time as people keep heeding them they'll continue.
    Having said that, work was a pure joy today as there was no one on the roads!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

Ursummupet wrote: »
    I don't care whether they do or don't, people need to be personally responsible for their own decisions and stop hiding behind these weather alerts.
    They're a joke and until such time as people keep heeding them they'll continue.

You are obviously an employer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

went to Tesco Stillorgan and the place was like Christmas Eve. Queues everywhere, all the bread gone.

Let them eat cake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭Christy42

The weather alerts are there to help people make an informed decision. No one is stopping you from going travelling. The same with businesses. No one is hiding behind them. Loving the edgy remarks as if there would not be chaos if there were thousands of cars on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Has become blizzardy in Wexford now in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The amount of people who missed work today needlessly must be in the thousands.
    So long as it's taken out of their annual leave they might learn not to believe the scaremongering that goes on in the future.

You do realise if people had worked as normal then the rush hour would have been chaoitic as people travelling home in severe weather would have led to lots of accidents, injuries and possibly deaths.

Now, warnings have been given, with a stipulated time of 4, in advance of when the storm will hit so that most people are safely at home beforehand.

It's all about safety and that has to the utmost priority. People don't seem to get this though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Panjandrums

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Nothing here yet in Malahide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

My car is starting to look like a double decker with all the snow that has accumulated on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭gadgiemagoo

Wish they showed same foresight during the Banks collapse - they make sure we're all safe now if ye have a home to be in by 4pm.

Yeah, weather and banking are exactly the same.
    Okaaaaaay so there were no predictions of the Banks losing the run of themselves? Excessive lending & borrowing? It came as a bolt from the blue?? :ermm:

Okaaaaaay so there were no predictions of the Banks losing the run of themselves? Excessive lending & borrowing? It came as a bolt from the blue?? :ermm:

I think you got lost looking for a banking thread. This thread is about the weather event in Ireland.

• Advertisement

My car is starting to look like a double decker with all the snow that has accumulated on it.
    Start with a blizzard & end up with a people carrier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

How cold is it in Ireland? Or is everyone going silly, saw another thread about running out of bread in a supermarket, lol

It was -13 where I live this morning, nice and crisp air, not cold enough to need a balaclava or to bring society to its knees. Everything and everyone working as normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,166 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I love your username

I think you got lost looking for a banking thread. This thread is about the weather event in Ireland.
    No - am listening to the criticism & praise of the Gov response to this short occurrence. I just wish they had been as diligent in the past.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Clickbait

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Been saying this alot the past few days.

Also I was in Budapest in January. It was alot colder there but didn't feel like it. Got off the plane in Dublin airport to the usual wind, I wanted to hope back on board to snowy Budapest.

I think it's the wind here that makes things colder. Wasn't much wind lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Okaaaaaay so there were no predictions of the Banks losing the run of themselves? Excessive lending & borrowing? It came as a bolt from the blue?? :ermm:
    No - am listening to the criticism & praise of the Gov response to this short occurrence. I just wish they had been as diligent in the past.

Here go away with that sh*te. Nobody cares in this thread.

• Advertisement

You're still comparing apples with bananas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

nanny state dealing with snowflakes - nuff said

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Reason it doesn't feel as cold is due to the Siberian air mass being so dry. Normally our air mass has higher humidity and makes it feel colder. Similar to when you get out of the shower. Once you dry off it feels less cold.
    Put your hand in a basin of water, go outside and you're hand will be dry in a minute. That wouldn't happen if this was an Atlantic air mass.

Thanks Evelyn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Some people were stuck on a motorway near Glasgow for 20 hours and they had to drop blankets and food to them, can you imagine what that would be like!!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

mariaalice wrote: »
    Some people were stuck on a motorway near Glasgow for 20 hours and they had to drop blankets and food to them, can you imagine what that would be like!!.

Could be worse...they could have reached Glasgow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Collie D wrote: »
    Could be worse...they could have reached Glasgow

No blizzars yet in Dublin 13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Well I don't care what anyone else says I am very glad of the red alert and that my family is at home safe and warm . I saw the people caught out in 82 and sitting in cars on the Naas road waiting for hours for help . My family is safe , babys feed stocked up , essential medicine in the fridge , plenty of heating oil , and enough bread to feed an army !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 SidekickSimon

The UK is hit worse than us and even they havent closed the country down !

The people stuck overnight on the motorway in Scotland might have preferred it was a red alert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Not back in until Monday. No complaints here.

No blizzars yet in Dublin 13

Not sure you meant to quote me but if you did I'm a bit scared because I'm not far from Dublin 13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

That's why people are stuck for 20 hours on a motorway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Storm Emma really bad here... don’t know what’s happening, it’s after going all dark in the last hour!

minikin wrote: »
    Storm Emma really bad here... don’t know what’s happening, it’s after going all dark in the last hour!

Where are you ?

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    The people stuck overnight on the motorway in Scotland might have preferred it was a red alert

Geographical its a much bigger country. But plenty has shutdown anyway.

https://news.sky.com/story/live-travel-disruption-as-storm-emma-rolls-in-11271510

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Where are you ?

In the kitchen.

Geographical its a much bigger country. But plenty has shutdown anyway.

https://news.sky.com/s...ma-rolls-in-11271510

And some people have died in the UK due to the conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Dymo

Webcam of Temple Bar if you're bored, not much happening yet.

https://www.earthcam.com/world/ireland/dublin/?cam=templebar

Night time?

Couldn't resist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Turn on the light!

In the kitchen.

Must be a female poster.

Collie D wrote: »
    Night time?

Couldn't resist

well, that was the joke...

You're still comparing apples with bananas.
    Ok lads if that what ye think, keep doing the fruity non-maths. I think a Gov has a duty to those they represent in all matters. If you want to define their duty to this occurrence & give them plaudits, fine. They aren't so stellar in other issues, eg Housing, Health, Employment, Mental Health, Transport. I won't go on cos I'd be accused of trying to add up an entire fruit hamper mix!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Do you know what the worst part about this is? Emma hasn't even arrived yet. She's only pushing into the England now.

Advertisement