Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snowmagedagain

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Does this mean we all have to go to work tomorrow. This is the most tame blizzard in the history of mankind.

It hasnt even arrived yet .!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭spud82

Does anyone know what time it is meant to hit Limerick?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Around midnight for Limerick , according to Alan O' Reilly of Carlow Weather

Around midnight for Limerick , according to Alan O' Reilly of Carlow Weather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Berserker wrote: »
    It's only one day ffs. Just back from driving on the M50 and M4. Both roads were absolutely fine. My OH is Canadian and she is laughing her ass off at the reaction to a few inches of snow. Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann have cancelled their services. Not sure what it is like down the country but no need for DB to cancel their services.

Did you explain things to her?

That we have a temperate climate and aren't set up for this weather, it's very rare for us and we just don't have the equipment like snowploughs on hand.

Did you tell her our cities, towns and settlements are much older than those of Canada and weren't planned with this type of weather in mind? Did you tell her further more we've a vast urban sprawl and ribbon development along with one off housing dotted around the country?

Did you tell her we're a small Island on the Atlantic where seasons run in to each other and is infamously hard to forecast weather and that it's best to prepare for the worst rather than fail to prepare?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

pjohnson wrote: »
    1947 was but a breeze. 1784 was the fun storm. 65 feet of snow and yet people were out and about in breeches and short pantaloons. Men were men in those days.

Calls for a Monty Python sketch response...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Worst blizzard ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Did you explain things to her?

I didn't, to be honest. Joking aside she/we get that this is a big event here. She is actually working tonight in one of the hospitals in Dublin, so she'll get to see the rough end of it all.

I didn't, to be honest. Joking aside she/we get that this is a big event here. She is actually working tonight in one of the hospitals in Dublin, so she'll get to see the rough end of it all.

Fair play to her. Front line worker. Looks like our ill prepared (for this weather we don't normally get) electricity network is suffering, lots of outages now.

And... I'd leave the giggling till the actual storm hits! It still could be a big unprecedented weather event. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Is it just me or has there been less snow in Dublin today than yesterday ? Car was proper.covered yesterday morning hasnt been near that today , Duvlin 13

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Its whipping up here now in south Dublin . Put my nose out and it stung my eyes .

Your Nose stung your Eye's?:eek:

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

pjohnson wrote: »
    1947 was but a breeze. 1784 was the fun storm. 65 feet of snow and yet people were out and about in breeches and short pantaloons. Men were men in those days.
    Actually

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/our-cold-snap-was-nothing-compared-to-the-great-irish-frost-of-1740-26609822.html
    Between 310,000 and 480,000 people out of a population of 2.4 million are believed to have died during the Great Frost which swept across Ireland between 1739 and 1741
    Such was the cold that the rivers Liffey, Slaney, Boyne and parts of the Shannon froze over within days as well as Loughs Cong and Neagh.

The big difference is back then we didn't have sliced bread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Dominos seemed to be every second ad on the weather reports.... have no clue just made me think they must be open

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Not much of a blizzard at the minute a fine dusting of snow and windy, what gives?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Cook something you lazy git.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

In Wicklow Town.

The wind has picked up a bit and there is a sleety drizzle falling.... no proper snow.

Not a flake of snow fell all day either.... bigger hype fail than Storm Ophelia.

Roads all clear

We were sent home from work at lunch time and are off tomorrow, all quiet here so far, be interesting to see if we get hit at all

What takeaways are delivering this evening? Not that i want one, just curious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,650 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Its like an unscheduled Christmas break minus the presents, extra tv schedules and over indulgence. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    If they are, I really hope you tip the driver well!

Yeah went to my local Chinese (nothing in the fridge due to bad planning) and tipped them half of what the order came to. I'm not a stickler on tips normally as so much bad service out there, but today they deserve something, no fun driving in today and home at silly o clock.

Fair play to her. Front line worker. Looks like our ill prepared (for this weather we don't normally get) electricity network is suffering, lots of outages now.

And... I'd leave the giggling till the actual storm hits! It still could be a big unprecedented weather event. :)

Yeah, could be a very interesting night. People indoors all day long, can lead to all sorts of fun injuries. She was saying that the there is going to one hell of a flood when this starts to thaw and that's worse than the snow itself, in her experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

We've had a constant blizzard more or less since 11am near mullingar.

roads completely impassable.
    snow piled up inside walls and hedgerows.
    snow accumulated in huge drifts around sides of houses.

we won't be going anywhere for a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 SidekickSimon

A non event so far. Starting to rain now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Clickbait

Don't know if I should set my alarm for the morning or not.

• Advertisement

spud82 wrote: »
    We were sent home from work at lunch time and are off tomorrow, all quiet here so far, be interesting to see if we get hit at all

I reckon it will happen. Warm, moist air from Portugal with a heavy water content is making it's way from the South to meet cold Siberian wind coming from the East. When the cold hits the warm wet air it will turn to ice and snow and dump a lot, in a short amount of time. The question is when? It's hard to predict when it will happen, so experts reckon four today was the absolute earliest it could happen. It hasn't happened yet.

nice_guy80 wrote: »

Fighting the urge to post a joke about being stuck in Mullingar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

****ing TV and internet is gone now. This is gonna turn into the shining right sharpish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

A non event so far. Starting to rain now

Been raining here for a fair bit now. Met Eireann got this badly wrong.

Yeah, could be a very interesting night. People indoors all day long, can lead to all sorts of fun injuries. She was saying that the there is going to one hell of a flood when this starts to thaw and that's worse than the snow itself, in her experience.

The thaw could be a mare. Worse if it was in Autumn with leaves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

What takeaways are delivering this evening? Not that i want one, just curious.

Passion4food on Clanbrassil Street are open and delivering. The kebabs there are fücking delicious as well.

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Been raining here for a fair bit now. Met Eireann got this badly wrong.
    I
    V
    nice_guy80 wrote: »

Passion4food on Clanbrassil Street are open and delivering. The kebabs there are fücking delicious as well.

Good to know- not that they're delivering but that " their kebabs are fcking delicisous". Thanks:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Max Prophet

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Yeah went to my local Chinese (nothing in the fridge due to bad planning).

This is how the weak among will perish and not inherit the earth this time anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Midnight for limerick now. What happened to 4pm. Farcical stuff. I think I'll go for a run. This is the most pathetic excuse for a blizzard in the history of mankind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Midnight for limerick now. What happened to 4pm. Farcical stuff. I think I'll go for a run. This is the most pathetic excuse for a blizzard in the history of mankind.

You actually appear upset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,548 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Its like an unscheduled Christmas break minus the presents, extra tv schedules and over indulgence. :)

Yes I'm bloody loving it, I am though going to go in to work on Monday and say it was terrible and we should have been allowed to work etc etc :pac:

Off you pop . Don't forget the sunscreen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

This is how the weak among will perish and not inherit the earth this time anyway

Harsh but fair. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Emma is just running a bit late.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Fake news.

All the white scenery from around the country was done on the set of Fair City.

This is our faked moon landings!!!1!eleven!

So unfortunate to read of that 7 year old girl.

Very sad .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Why the hell did they warn /cajole everyone to be indoors by 4 this evening when this feckin storm has only begun to hit land now?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

People forget that we had two, or was it three people die the last time we had high winds, let alone high winds and snow. It's simply not worth it because people are too lazy not to get a takeaway for a couple of days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

I know its different everywhere, but could gather all the snow thats here in a mug.

What are boardsies doing to keep entertained while Leo wont let us out with the code red?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Why the hell did they warn /cajole everyone to be indoors by 4 this evening when this feckin storm has only begun to hit land now?!?

Storms change direction, speed, etc. May end up bypassing certain areas all together. The worst was planned and warned for.

Because that's the earliest that it could have hit. It's impossible to pinpoint the exact minute it's going to happen. It's the weather, not the tide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Because that's the earliest that it could have hit. It's impossible to pinpoint the exact minute it's going to happen. It's the weather, not the tide.

It’s 5 hours and counting now.

Advertisement