Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snowmagedagain

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Dead on. Why are people so willing to cooperate with blanket curfews when large parts of the country seem to be cold yes but not extremes. I don’t get what has happened to the Irish that we just fall into line with these alerts recently.

It's not exactly a curfew though is it. It's not like the army are camped at the end of your drive and will shoot you as soon as you step out. Go out if you want, don't if you don't, whatever. Not much to go out to now mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Cutie 3.14

Drinking loads of tea, watching telly and peeking out the window every 10 minutes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

Don’t know how he got on but I can tell you that his attitude is widely shared. LOADS of people roll their eyes at these alerts and think wtf.

How many are LOADS? You and your mates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

NIMAN wrote: »
    Watching the 9 news it would appear they are trying to persuade us, against the evidence, that things have got a lot worse.

And I wish they would stop showing the same clips over and over and over. By 907 tonight they had repeated the same clip 3 times. And if you have been off work and watching news during the day, you'd have seen that clip and the others many times already.

The footage seems to show most towns relatively clear for driving but the little back roads up to remote houses bad, but most people would expect that.

I'm in a D5 housing estate and the roads are fecking dangerous right now with snow covering ice and high winds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I'll get Evelyn on to see if she can give you a more personal eta, for yourself like.

You’re missing the point. Maybe deliberately. I will cut you some slack. If the govt are making it their business to declare nation wide curfews then 1-it better be appropriate to extend it nationwide and 2-it better be extreme weather.

The time of 4pm seems to have been far too early as the storm is only just arriving now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Watching some Sherlock Holmes with the old man and the young man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Anyone find a safe?

Peterson's , Dun Laoghire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Ok, for the hard of understanding who keep stamping their feet bleating "why haven't I had my own personal blizzard visit me", here's the latest update:

TL:DR : Weather can move.
    Irish Weather Online
    35 mins ·
    UPDATE _ Thursday, 1st of March _ 8:45 p.m.

The heaviest snow being produced by storm "Emma" is currently over southwest England. Bands of lighter snow, mixed with ice pellets and various other semi-frozen types in the southeast, will continue until these heavier bands arrive late this evening and overnight. It still appears likely that 20 to 50 cm of snow will fall over large portions of the country, tapering to 10 to 30 cm across most of the north and 5 to 15 cm near north coast of Ulster. Meanwhile, some sea effect continues across the north mainly and this will just merge with the advancing storm later tonight. That could lead to some locally heavier totals so that the overall snowfall left on the ground by late Friday or early Saturday may be quite variable in the range of 30 to 60 cms for many.

There likely will be some pockets of more mixed precipitation near the south coast and perhaps in patchy form up the east coast, but I think all locations will have at least some intervals of heavy accumulating snow. There will likely be some outbreaks of thunder-snow (or thunder-sleet) tonight and Friday. Blizzard-like conditions will occur regardless of snowfall rates because of strong winds blowing the snow already received plus the newer snow. I mentioned yesterday that the snow could be wetter, in particular across the south and east, but this does not necessarily mean "wet snow" in terms of melting while it falls, more that the moisture content would be higher than the sea effect snow, and therefore this snow might not blow around as readily, but will tend to stick to surfaces (like tree branches and infrastructure) raising the risk level for power outages.

As to local variations, keep a close eye on reports here or on weather forum threads, a complex storm like this is bound to produce some large variations from one location to another, and one key to that may be shadowing effects of higher ground, if you're to the east or south of higher terrain you might get heavier amounts, and to the north or west, lesser amounts of snow than some nearby reports.

Winds will continue strong east to northeast 50 to 80 km/hr for most and could gust to 100 km/hr at times near east coast and later along the south coast (from east to southeast). Kerry and southwest Cork will likely experience some very strong gusts late Friday as the centre of low pressure moves just offshore towards the west-northwest. High seas will create some coastal flooding near the high tides on Friday and Friday night, both on south and east coast but it will be more severe on the south coast.

The storm will taper off to intervals of light snow or sleet by Saturday but the outlook is rather uncertain with several more systems trying to move the cold air and perhaps being less than totally successful, so that the period Sunday to Thursday of next week may continue rather cold and there could be one more significant snowfall in that period.

-- Peter for IWO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Macho alt right types are free to go out and shout hate speech at the snowflakes!

I'm just getting impatient I have to say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'm sitting in front of a lovely fire, having a brandy, watching TV and reading the rubbish people are posting while they complain about a weather warning and using every opportunity they can to blame it on Leo Varadkar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 SidekickSimon

murpho999 wrote: »

This is all worth it if one live is saved but that lot that stop you from criticising the government and posting on the internet.

Shutting the entire country down for half a week is worth saving one morons life ? If thats true then we shouldnt drive in any bad weather at all becasue there are statistcally more deaths. Is that the way we are headed now with the nanny state.... :confused:

You’re missing the point. Maybe deliberately. I will cut you some slack. If the govt are making it their business to declare nation wide curfews then 1-it better be appropriate to extend it nationwide and 2-it better be extreme weather.

The time of 4pm seems to have been far too early as the storm is only just arriving now

There was already a red alert in place because of snow; responsible employers with staff coming in from all over did the sensible thing and shut down. My local Centra and pub were open as the staff are local.

No one was forced to do anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,324 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Don’t know how he got on but I can tell you that his attitude is widely shared. LOADS of people roll their eyes at these alerts and think wtf.
    If you say so. Roll away just don't complain and squeal for help from emergency services or the likes if you get into trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Thunder snow sounds class

It's not exactly a curfew though is it. It's not like the army are camped at the end of your drive and will shoot you as soon as you step out. Go out if you want, don't if you don't, whatever. Not much to go out to now mind.

Did u see that sinister warning speech Leo gave? It was pretty much ordering people to go home. And not just him.

The full weight of RTÉ and various cabinet ministers and of course the “excellent” met eireann staff was thrown behind this 4 pm deadline for getting indoors.

You would think the sky was going to crack open or something the carry on of them was embarrassing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

There’s no curfew. You’re panicking now. Calm down.

Shutting the entire country down for half a week is worth saving one morons life ? If thats true then we shouldnt drive in any bad weather at all becasue there are statistcally more deaths. Is that the way we are headed now with the nanny state.... :confused:

No it's worth saving the life of some kid out in the snow that gets run over by some dickhead in an ill prepared car going out to buy some fags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

So if they had said 7 then people would have worked a full day and there would have been chaos on the roads and transport etc.

Better to get people home beforehand.

Also as they have to announce it the day before they cannot predict the exact time with any certainty. Do you not realise how hard it is to predict when snowfall will start?

So I don't see any problem. Better to have everybody home safely. No harm done.

Also, there is no "curfew" it's a warning and advice. Big difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

were living another reeling in the years moment

2018 episode with a cheerful tune playing over it

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Ursummupet

Thunder snow sounds class

Last night it was "destructive snow".

Can't wait for tomorrow night! Fire breathing blizzards!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭cycle4fun

Did u see that sinister warning speech Leo gave? It was pretty much ordering people to go home. And not just him.

The full weight of RTÉ and various cabinet ministers and of course the “excellent” met eireann staff was thrown behind this 4 pm deadline for getting indoors.

You would think the sky was going to crack open or something the carry on of them was embarrassing.

Its grand now in parts of the country, 1 degree celcius, not even freezing, and no snow. Think the south and east have it worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 derekc1010

just finished painting the bedroom
    knackered and having a beer or 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Ursummupet wrote: »
    Last night it was "destructive snow".

Can't wait for tomorrow night! Fire breathing blizzards!

"Dynamic snow"

John_Rambo wrote: »
    There’s no curfew. You’re panicking now. Calm down.

Not panicking at all bro. Don’t worry.

If anything I (and many,many others around the country) have remained calm and collected for the last few days.

in complete contrast the govt and the likes of RTÉ seem to have completely lost their sh1t.

Glass of wine tonight; few cans last night. Some quality time with the wife and now posting ****e on boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Thundersnow is one word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Whiskey, toast and season 7 of Rupauls Drag Race

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 SidekickSimon

Jaysus Met Eireann are starting to sound quite unreliable. Its a long time now since 4pm today !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Blah blah rabble rabble moan whinge.

Change your tampon, might help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

You have to ask what are they trying to get done without people seeing what they are up to. First, chemtrails to cause the snow, then get everyone of the streets. FF and FG effectively in a coalition govt. You dont have be a genius to join the dots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Watching a Hans Zimmer concert on Netflix. Really enjoying it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think it's safe to say the media are making the most of this.

They absolutely love a good event, and this is quality. They will get the guts of a full week out of this.

It's either this or brexit or Syria. It's not a bad break from the other two news stories to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

My neighbour told me he was going to do it specifically to give two fingers to the authorities. Not me. I’m too lazy to bother tbh but fair play to him!

And if you watched the news earlier you would’ve seen a guy swimming in the height of the snow, I think it was someplace in Dublin.

Wow your both such madlads, he really showed "the authorities"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Record breaking amounts promised, I suspect my journey to ballygobbackwards on Sunday is not going to be possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Part of a nude conspiracy, Leo was running down O'Connell street stark bollick naked while everyone was hiding indoors.

Jaysus Met Eireann are starting to sound quite unreliable. Its a long time now since 4pm today !!

They never said it would snow at 4pm.

Not panicking at all bro. Don’t worry

Good. Deep breaths, no curfew, nobodies going to arrest you if you stick your head out the door for some well needed fresh air. Do take precautions, keep an eye on the forecasts, make sure you're prepared for a power cut.

Maybe take a break from the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,324 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

You have to ask what are they trying to get done without people seeing what they are up to. First, chemtrails to cause the snow, then get everyone of the streets. FF and FG effectively in a coalition govt. You dont have be a genius to join the dots.
    Chemtrails......okkkk lol

VinLieger wrote: »
    Wow your both such madlads, he really showed "the authorities"

Why are u including me in that? I said my neighbour told me he was going swimming to give two fingers to authority. I said fair play mate. That was the height of my involvement.

• Advertisement

Not panicking at all bro. Don’t worry.

If anything I (and many,many others around the country) have remained calm and collected for the last few days.

in complete contrast the govt and the likes of RTÉ seem to have completely lost their sh1t.

No they have not. They are warning about what is coming tonight which you don't seem to understand or want to believe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'll take all the slack going. But I'm not missing the overall point. The state have limited resources and tools to deal with what's happening. And we are much better minimising the potential risk and stretching of emergency resources by asking people to keep in unless urgent.

There's people all over acting on decisions that don't really make much sense to anyone other than themselves.

I haven't seen much of anything like this before when I could reflect on it critically and there's a few things I'm taking from it. We can't be expectant that the state or local authorities hold responsibility for dealing with the outcomes of this weather. And when it comes to it, we should be able to pick up our own shovel and help ourselves. (I don't currently have a shovel but up for bringing some levity to the situation going out with a bucket and spade)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

Friends house today after the inevitable! I'd say worth it to play it safe 🀔

443882.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

I'm sitting in front of a lovely fire, having a brandy, watching TV and reading the rubbish people are posting while they complain about a weather warning and using every opportunity they can to blame it on Leo Varadkar.

I havent seen anyone blaming Leo, sure he doesnt make the weather.

murpho999 wrote: »
    They never said it would snow at 4pm.

Yet they demanded we all were to shelter indoors as if it was nuclear fallout.

What a shower of plonkers they are. Egged on by the drama queens of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Ursummupet

Why are u including me in that? I said my neighbour told me he was going swimming to give two fingers to authority. I said fair play mate. That was the height of my involvement.

Did you not caress his balls to get the blood flow going?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Leo said if you are not indoors by 4, you'll probably die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

Lots of family time today. Some TV with Mrs Storker this evening, then re-fighting the Battle of Elchingen on the PC. And some wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭nostro

No it's worth saving the life of some kid out in the snow that gets run over by some dickhead in an ill prepared car going out to buy some fags.
    Your reasoning could be used to curtail many activities that are now considered normal on the basis that they could potentially cause a risk of injury somewhere. It is why children are no longer allowed to walk to school or play in playgrounds. Risk is a part of life and if you spend your days afraid of everything you are not living fully in my opinion..
    You sir are a snowflake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Having a cigar in your smoking jacket too, no doubt. You Hugh Hefner looking fecker ya.

If your neighbour went out for a walk in the Serengeti in a suit made from rashers and sausages to give two fingers up to the authority would you say "fair play mate"?

• Advertisement
Advertisement