Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snowmagedagain

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

No I’m not at all confused. I just don’t take kindly to the authorities talking scutter

You're the only one talking scutter tonight. Every single post you have made tonight has been utter lies.

You're banging on about curfews but there are none. The warnings are an advised time to be home not a legally enforced curfew.

Also, you're ignoring the severe weather that is happening right now and will continue all night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

only after Getting a fine Dusting of snow here in mallow, jaysus my Brennans bread will be gone stale by the time Emma decides to turn like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Boozing. I'm onto the emergency cans now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

murpho999 wrote: »
    You're the only one talking scutter tonight. Every single post you have made tonight has been utter lies.

You're banging on about curfews but there are none. The warnings are an advised time to be home not a legally enforced curfew.

Also, you're ignoring the severe weather that is happening right now and will continue all night.
    Show me the posts where I (not others) “bang on” about curfews ??

I’ll wait.

Also. “Utter lies”??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,324 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I am crying wolf...by linking to what is actually happening on a pretty much live weather radar and saying what's at my door? Grand so....

Dead on. Why are people so willing to cooperate with blanket curfews when large parts of the country seem to be cold yes but not extremes. I don’t get what has happened to the Irish that we just fall into line with these alerts recently.
    You’re missing the point. Maybe deliberately. I will cut you some slack. If the govt are making it their business to declare nation wide curfews then 1-it better be appropriate to extend it nationwide and 2-it better be extreme weather.

The time of 4pm seems to have been far too early as the storm is only just arriving now
    Show me the posts where I (not others) “bang on” about curfews ??

I’ll wait.

There's two straight away and you've been going about the government telling people to take shelter at 4 and implied it as being a curfew without using the word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,504 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Working from home the past two days and will be again tomorrow. Staring out the window, green with envy, watching all of the neighbours enjoying themselves in the snow.

Hopefully the Internet goes wallop tomorrow and I can get out with the madra :p

• Advertisement

There's two straight away and you've been going about the government telling people to take shelter at 4 and implied it as being a curfew without using the word.

They did tell people to take shelter!!

At 4 on the dot!!! Repeatedly!!

By the Taoiseach and other cabinet ministers and the full complement of RTÉ and met eireann staff!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

onto second bottle of wine. first was decent and this is fantastic.

also eating some peanuts.

first wine was a nice red from Italy. this one is a red from Chile.

Masterchef on good food. making my mouth water.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

The Big Snow I thought. Black 47 is the famine alright though, and the new movie about the Famine

Always heard it referred to by my parents as The Big Snow of 1947.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Went to the local pub with five of my extended family, it's a one of three pubs in a small rural village which gets a good crowd on a Saturday night but is very quiet during the week, the place was packed tonight!

Murpho If you have a problem with people banging on about red alerts and curfews and taking shelter then address your issues to Leo Varadkar and his merry band of gob****es

Hold on, you’re hardly THE Murph are you? Eoghan!?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/storm-emma-teen-in-serious-condition-after-freak-fall-in-snow-36660965.html

Stories like this is why the warnings are in place, to try and minimise incidents like it but that won't be good enough for many here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Where's this feicin' Blizzard lads.... Waitin' all afternoon for it. Red due to be lifted here tomorrow at 6am apparently. What a load of shyte.. I'm going to go downstairs and outside in a minute and if I don't see 10 inches of Snow I'll be very disappointed. It's probably feicin' as good as gone... Blizzard.... Blizzard me elbow...

By the Taoiseach and other cabinet ministers and the full complement of RTÉ and met eireann staff!!

They had to pick a time to provide clarity for people. What is the problem with that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I was at home by 2 o'clock. It wasn't 4 on the dot, it was 4 at the latest. You misunderstood.

Murpho If you have a problem with people banging on about red alerts and curfews and taking shelter then address your issues to Leo Varadkar and his merry band of gob****es

Hold on, you’re hardly THE Murph are you? Eoghan!?

I have no issue with what the government have done. Better than what you propose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/storm-emma-teen-in-serious-condition-after-freak-fall-in-snow-36660965.html

Stories like this is why the warnings are in place, to try and minimise incidents like it but that won't be good enough for many here.

Eh, seems to me if there was school and work open, it wouldn't have happened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Where's this feicin' Blizzard lads.... Waitin' all afternoon for it. Red due to be lifted here tomorrow at 6am apparently. What a load of shyte.. I'm going to go downstairs and outside in a minute and if I don't see 10 inches of Snow I'll be very disappointed. It's probably feicin' as good as gone... Blizzard.... Blizzard me elbow...

its been going in Westmeath since 12 noon
    non stop

Get the feeling there’s gonna be an awful lot of awkward questions for the authorities tomorrow.

They had to pick a time to provide clarity for people. What is the problem with that?
    I totally agree. I think that time also put pressure on businesses to close early so people with commutes could get home safely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

cycle4fun wrote: »
    Its not even freezing in parts of the country now. Yet a Bl**dy curfew on schools, business etc all day.

Its ok for those who will get paid to not work anyway.

Curfew, curfew, curfew. Could you post a link to any mention of a curfew in Ireland in 2018??

Get the feeling there’s gonna be an awful lot of awkward questions for the authorities tomorrow.

There are some very awkward people about.

No they won't. They will be shown to have been correct.
    I can see that already when I look at my window here in Co Wicklow.

Of course you won't be on here tomorrow to admit that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Curfew, curfew, curfew. Could you post a link to any mention of a curfew in Ireland in 2018??

To be fair, public transport shut down, government shutdown, private businesses shut down out of fear of liability. Might as well be a curfew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭nostro

doylefe wrote: »

Exactly. This accident happened because the schools were closed. And there was a "weather warning" when he fell so your argument that warnings are needed because he fell makes no sense.

To be fair, public transport shut down, government shutdown, private businesses shut down out of fear of liability. Might as well be a curfew.

It’s probably cuz they can’t legally declare a curfew that they use the weasel words like advice and strongly recommend.

Thank fcuk they can’t legally do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Probably would have happened to a lot more

It’s probably cuz they can’t legally declare a curfew that they use the weasel words like advice and strongly recommend.

Thank fcuk they can’t legally do it.

Yep its a conspiracy i tells yeah, they want to lock us all up.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

But isn't actually a curfew. You can venture out at your own risk and you'll not be stopped.

They weren’t correct about 4pm. Even you have to admit that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

i swear if this country were ever to visit a shrink it would be diagnosed as BIPOLAR.
    We lurch from one daft extreme to the other.
    just wait for a week of dry weather, and well have those absurdly dressed D4 weather gurls tellin us to have no more than 2 showers a week, and not to flush unless you've pebble-dashed the bog.
    Leo will be addressing the nation on the geopolitics of global water shortages.

nostro wrote: »
    Exactly. This accident happened because the schools were closed. And there was a "weather warning" when he fell so your argument that warnings are needed because he fell makes no sense.

No: if the warnings had not been in place then more people would be out and about and these type of incidents would be have occurred more but many people here will be too blinkered here to grasp that.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Man whinging about government recommendation to stay indoors ends up staying indoors to post about it on the internet.

Fantastic.

i swear if this country were ever to visit a shrink it would be diagnosed as BIPOLAR.
    We lurch from one daft extreme to the other.
    just wait for a week of dry weather, and well have those absurdly dressed D4 weather gurls tellin us to have no more than 2 showers a week, and not to flush unless you've pebble-dashed the bog.
    Leo will be addressing the nation on the geopolitics of global water shortages.

Save up some of the snow. You will need it because the people of the West won't give you water from the Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Some great fights going on across all the forums tonight.

Cabin fever has already set in it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

I’m in Co Wicklow. Cold night. Windy. Nothing that unusual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Are you for real? Do you think any vaguely rational person expected a snowstorm to manifest across the 26 counties at 4pm sharp?

You are insufferable.

They never said the storm would hit at 4. They advised people to be home by then.

They wanted people in before it hit not just as it arrived.

Also it's almost impossible to predict the exact time the storm will hit a day beforehand so you can get over your few hours that they were out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Are you for real? Do you think any vaguely rational person expected a snowstorm to manifest across the 26 counties at 4pm sharp?

You are insufferable.

You haven't met his neighbour!

I’m in Co Wicklow. Cold night. Windy. Nothing that unusual

So it snows every night where you live?

I am in Bray now and it's a very unusual night. Snowing very heavily and wind is getting stronger.

Some great fights going on across all the forums tonight.

Cabin fever has already set in it seems.

Day two is only minutes away. Today will seem like a picnic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

awec wrote: »
    Man whinging about government recommendation to stay indoors ends up staying indoors to post about it on the internet.

Fantastic.

In fairness, because of all the unnecessary palaver, there is nowhere to go. Might as well stay in.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭nostro

Originally Posted by nostro View Post
    There has been an orwellian effort to make people afraid of the weather
    Yeah they''re using the weather to imprison us in a perpetual dystonia by giving the kids and their parents a day off.

This is terrible.

Orwell wrote of the government creating an artificial semi permanent state of fear and anxiety in the general population in order to control them. That is analogous to what is being done to the irish population over the last year or two with the semi permanent weather warnings and attempt to keep us in constant fear of the weather.

Very much doubt my neighbour was the only person to ignore the warnings.

The local pub for example was packed out this evening. Load of ppl having a great time and drinking away no work in the morning.

Jesus christ they had to pick a time, at the time they announced it their data suggested 4 o clock but things involving the weather can never be giranteed like that.

Pull your head out of your ass ffs

He sounds like some man for one man! He swims in stormy seas while giving the government two fingers (ohhh err!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement