Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snowmagedagain

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

"Red alert"... it's a Pavlovian trigger phrase.

Mmm. I'd love a slice of pavlovian right now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    Full Moon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

It's coming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,468 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

jaxxx wrote: »
    I'm intrigued by this theory of yours...

Well since all the clouds are trapping any light from getting out I was thinking maybe it is the reflection of the light from other lights like street lights and house lights that are on. I suppose if there is a full moon as some posters above have said then maybe some of that could be coming through.
    It is very strange but I do not mind it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Hmm. You seemed to jump to blaming the Russians rather quicky... Are you sure you're not just blaming the Russians to use as a front for your Insect army invasion?? :eek:

• Advertisement
    Ms

Snotty wrote: »
    Is there street lights on??

Only at the front none at the back of the house.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

thierry14 wrote: »
    It's coming

Geez that doesn't sound at all ominous :pac:
    AMKC wrote: »
    Well since all the clouds are trapping any light from getting out I was thinking maybe it is the reflection of the light from other lights like street lights and house lights that are on. I suppose if there is a full moon as some posters above have said then maybe some of that could be coming through.
    It is very strange but I do not mind it.

Aw, I was hoping your theory was aliens or magic or something...

(jesus how old am I.......)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

The UK is hit worse than us and even they havent closed the country down !

Some of those people frozen in their cars for hours on the motorways did not look too happy this evening - complaining that nobody was telling them anything. Here in Ireland, people are safely in their homes. Some UK people sure are hit worse than we are. I imagine they would have preferred to have had a Red Alert!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I honestly can't think of a single thing that has changed outside in the last couple of days....it's truly bizarre!

Ms

Snotty wrote: »
    Is there street lights on??

Only at the front. There is none at the back of the house.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,860 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There is no such thing as a Beer Jacket.

There isn't but manys a night it has kept me warm :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Markgc

AMKC wrote: »
    There is no sun just clouds. It should be pitch black outside the back of the house but instead its like there is street lights on. Anyone else have this outside their house. It's not just tonight either it was like this the last two nights as well.

I have a theory but could be wrong. First I want to know has anyone else noticed it.

Yep. Fantastic pink glow about. Imo Snow reflecting street lights and it's bouncing off clouds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Some of those people frozen in their cars for hours on the motorways did not look too happy this evening - complaining that nobody was telling them anything. Here in Ireland, people are safely in their homes. Some UK people sure are hit worse than we are. I imagine they would have preferred to have had a Red Alert!

Nonsense

"Aye, fight and you may die. Run and you'll live -- at least a while. And dying in your beds many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our freedom!"

The illuminati government can't force them into their beds they have FREEEEEEDOM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Mmm. I'd love a slice of pavlovian right now.

Mouthwatering.

Ms

Geez that doesn't sound at all ominous :pac:

Aw, I was hoping your theory was aliens or magic or something...

(jesus how old am I.......)

Who knows it could be aliens. ET is welcome here anytime he wants. Sure I am always sending out light signals when I go for a walk in the dark and there is a clear sky under the faint hope that some aliens out there might notice us and come visit.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

pjohnson wrote: »
    Nonsense

"Aye, fight and you may die. Run and you'll live -- at least a while. And dying in your beds many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our freedom!"

The illuminati government can't force them into their beds they have FREEEEEEDOM.

I’d prefer to die in me bed, thanks.

Mouthwatering.
    I haven't heard of Pavlovian in years....though now you mention it, it does ring a bell....

Beers and Gaming (Total war: Arena, and Hearts of Iron series). I don't allow myself to play games when I should be working, but this snow is a holiday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

They’ve taken in the roads!

gmisk wrote: »
    I haven't heard of Pavlovian in years....though now you mention it, it does ring a bell....

Aye a bell rings alright
    hqdefault.jpg

• Advertisement

That attitude would have changed Braveheart quite a bit :pac:

They may take our lives...but they'll never take our futoooon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Snowball fight in temple bar at the moment. About half a dozen involved. Someone get the army to round up the curfew breakers!

https://www.earthcam.com/world/ireland/dublin/?cam=templebar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,551 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Maybe they have no bread?

Let them eat cake? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Kinda enjoying reading the paranoid witterings of some people on the various snow threads across boards. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

murpho999 wrote: »
    16911r9.jpg

You really are talking rubbish.

Here is where I live, taken about half an hour ago.

Plenty of snow on the ground. Photo does not show snow that is falling or wind.

Also not forecast to stop snowing until tomorrow night.

I refuse to believe you have hardly any snow in Greystones.
    When your photo no longer features cars, then feel free to use the word "plenty".

For many people this is really turning in to yet another non event.
    In 2010 Dublin had temperatures down to minus 15 and over 50cms for Christmas then another similar dose end of Jan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

A CIE bus in a whopper of a snowdrift in Dublin, January 1982.

DXPmpWFWsAU10ww.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The Passage West to Cobh ferry in Cork harbour yesterday.

endurance1.jpg

Note that the lads have made a number of snowmen while waiting for the ice to melt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Snowball fight in temple bar at the moment. About half a dozen involved. Someone get the army to round up the curfew breakers!

https://www.earthcam.com/world/ireland/dublin/?cam=templebar

Was enjoying watching that. Stopped working for anybody else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,860 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The burger receipts from Mc Donalds and Burger King in this country would tell you more about the economy than any fancy €9.2 billion report from some asswipe economist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Power just gone in Crumlin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Panjandrums

This post has been deleted.

wil wrote: »
    For many people this is really turning in to yet another non event.
    In 2010 Dublin had temperatures down to minus 15 and over 50cms for Christmas then another similar dose end of Jan.

You know that happened in midwinter, right?

In 2010, cars didn't disappear either, though the snow was deeper. Naturally, because it was a much longer cold spell. This was never forecast to be as long so the comparison is meaningless. If you're expecting it to be like 2010 then, yeah, it's a non-event. But it was never advertised as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭CPTM

Birneybau wrote: »

Keep your phones charged. You never know where the power will be cut next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Thats not good.

Fingers crossed that it can be restored before morning, The old would be very vulnerable in these conditions.

• Advertisement

CPTM wrote: »

Keep your phones charged. You never know where the power will be cut next.

All over Dublin apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

All over Dublin apparently

Puts phone on charge and sticks on a boost.

Watched LA Confidential for the first time. CLASS.

Then baked golden syrup loaf cáca milis.

Drinking red wine, in bed, in the dark (power cut)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Current electricity supply interruptions. https://www.esb.ie/esb-networks/powercheck/

443965.png

• Advertisement

Yeah, but Ranelagh and it's Ilk got power back very quickly. A little too quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

_Dara_ wrote: »
    You know that happened in midwinter, right?

In 2010, cars didn't disappear either, though the snow was deeper. Naturally, because it was a much longer cold spell. This was never forecast to be as long so the comparison is meaningless. If you're expecting it to be like 2010 then, yeah, it's a non-event. But it was never advertised as such.
    Yeah you're right, they've been selling this so hard for the last week as the biggest nationwide snow event (mid whatever season) in living memory*, people are convincing themselves 2 cm is deep.

(*living memory may include goldfish)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Morby

Anyone know how long we can expect these conditions to last? Any end in sight anytime soon?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It seems that Ireland just can't handle some unusually cold conditions and snow. It's ridiculous.

Stay warm and safe people!

Yeah you're right, they've been selling this so hard for the last week as the biggest nationwide snow event (mid whatever season) in living memory*, people are convincing themselves 2 cm is deep.

The snowfall is highly variable depending on where you are which means that for many people, it seems like a non-event. But where I am, we've had deep accumulations and I'm even way behind what others have reported here. I think over the three nights, I'm probably looking at between 20 and 30 cms, maybe more even! It's been snowing constantly for almost 24 hours.

And actually, in 2010, snowfall was very variable too. I was living in the west at the time and we got much less snow than the east. Quite small amounts actually but because it was cold, that small amount lay on the ground for weeks.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    It seems that Ireland just can't handle some unusually cold conditions and snow. It's ridiculous.

Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

In some parts of the country its far far deeper snow...here in the.north midlands we have snow knee deep...its nothing have seen before in my 30 years..and its only going to get worse if it freezes solid after!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Clickbait

Are we working tomorrow or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

It was just everyone heading to laba at the same time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement