Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snowmagedagain

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

It really does look amazing when so much of it settles. Front garden and path are currently under maybe 3-4 inches of a perfect white carpet of snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

JupiterKid wrote: »
    It seems that Ireland just can't handle some unusually cold conditions and snow. It's ridiculous.

Stay warm and safe people!

In what way are we not handling it? The biggest issues is the roads and the only way that can be solved is by having an army of slow ploughs at the ready across the whole county, which if we had would actually be ridiculous since these kinds of events occur only once in a decade if that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

It barely even snowed here yesterday until late evening. There's a bit of snow today in that it actual covered the ground properly. Five or six years ago there was weather MUCH worse than this. Sure maybe tonight I didn't go out and it'll be worse overall (?) but it's not like we have to go in a car journey. I can't hear the wind blowing harshly, I don't feel cold.

I'll have a look tomorrow after waking up and I'm almost hoping there'll be a good couple of feet of thick snow, otherwise I feel cheated!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

It seems that Ireland just can't handle some unusually cold conditions and snow. It's ridiculous.

Stay warm and safe people!

I feel ashamed to be Irish.

hyJVu0E.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Wowbagger

"It's beginning to snow again. The flakes, silver and dark, are falling obliquely against the lamplight. It's probably falling all over the island; on the central plain, on the treeless hills, falling softly upon the graveyards, upon the crosses and headstones, upon all the living and the dead..."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

YFlyer wrote: »
    It was just everyone heading to laba at the same time.

good night Mary Ellen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

It barely even snowed here yesterday until late evening. There's a bit of snow today in that it actual covered the ground properly. Five or six years ago there was weather MUCH worse than this. Sure maybe tonight I didn't go out and it'll be worse overall (?) but it's not like we have to go in a car journey. I can't hear the wind blowing harshly, I don't feel cold.

I'll have a look tomorrow after waking up and I'm almost hoping there'll be a good couple of feet of thick snow, otherwise I feel cheated!

I know! We had more snow Wednesday than we had in the past 24 hours. 2010 was much worse. There were drifts of 6 inches then. We have 2-3 inches in the garden and it’s thawed out on the cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

Under a red warning for 25 hours and not a bit of snow, changed to orange and not a bit of snow lol. Schools closed for 2 days for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Jaysus just looked out the front. There's drifts of 6 feet out there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Five or six years ago there was weather MUCH worse than this.
    fg1406 wrote: »
    I know! We had more snow Wednesday than we had in the past 24 hours. 2010 was much worse. There were drifts of 6 inches then. We have 2-3 inches in the garden and it’s thawed out on the cars.

It was never said that this would be on a par with 2010.

And 2010 saw great variations in snowfall too. Where I was in the west actually had quite a small amount of snowfall despite the cold. But because it was midwinter and well below freezing even during the day, the small amount compacted and lingered.

Some people in this country will be waking up to deep drifts this morning.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Seriously?

Yep. We endured much colder and snowier winters in the 1970s and 1980s (including the exceptionally prolonged snows of 1982 which I remember as a 7 year old) and Ireland was a much poorer and less well resourced country back then. We can’t seem to manage nearly as well now.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Having a “friend” over to mine for sex.;) Writing tomorrow and will try to get out for a while.

Yep. We endured much colder and snowier winters in the 1970s and 1980s (including the exceptionally prolonged snows of 1982 which I remember as a 7 year old) and Ireland was a much poorer and less well resourced country back then. We can’t seem to manage nearly as well now.

Well, I really doubt that we're any worse. What you're saying is along the lines of "in my day we walked 12 miles to school, uphill both ways! Kids today blah de blah blah".

Maybe there was just a more a slapdash approach to safety back then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Galway should never have joined the Leinster Hurling Championship. Now we have to share their Red Alerts while the rest of Connaught gets away with an orange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

It's the media tearing the arse out of it. Gets way more coverage when it affects the east too. Wall to wall coverage all week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭LadySkunk

Was out walking home from a friends there in south Dublin, snow is so deep you can't see where the path ends and the road starts.

Something so therapeutic about being out walking when the everything is so bright and calm. I love it :)

Patww79 wrote: »

Lots of places had lots of snow overnight! Look at people’s accounts and photos in the weather forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

If you Identify as a snowed in/snow lover,and some nay-sayers here are on your back because they don't understand what you are experiencing right now..it's not your fault.

One day,they will understand! With a snowball in one hand and the right to a boards.ie post in the other,we shall over come!

Chunky Orla (the snowoman).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Wowbagger wrote: »
    "It's beginning to snow again. The flakes, silver and dark, are falling obliquely against the lamplight. It's probably falling all over the island; on the central plain, on the treeless hills, falling softly upon the graveyards, upon the crosses and headstones, upon all the living and the dead..."

....SHUT THE FECK UP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I’m in Co Wicklow. Cold night. Windy. Nothing that unusual

Yeah. Some parts of Co Wicklow badly hit and covered in snow. Others upto yesterday had no snow at all. Bray Head was kinda sheltering Greystones yesterday for example.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Must have escaped so, happy days. I see a good few pictures on twitter anyway.

I thought the same until daylight.

Have at least a metre high in the back and same in front with what i can only describe as mounds of snow going across the road. Road is impasssible without use of shovels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

No power here in Kildare and the snow is still falling. This is no joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Yeah its getting stupid in Finglas now I'll be stuck here for the weekend now maybe even longer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Wow, that was a big snow dump on us overnight. In our area this is much worse than 2010 and anything I saw in the 82.
    We had a power cut but back on now. Myself and some neighbours going out in a bit to check on some of our elderly neighbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Wowbagger wrote: »

Poetic

Wow, that was a big snow dump on us overnight. In our area this is much worse than 2010 and anything I saw in the 82.
    We had a power cut but back on now. Myself and some neighbours going out in a bit to check on some of our elderly neighbours.

Always good idea to check on neighbours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Always good idea to check on neighbours

Knowing some of the old hard chaws on our street we will get told to fck off!

the snow is half as tall as my doggy

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Little new snow since Wednesday out where I am in North County Dublin. Looks like a little thaw even.

But very high gusty winds continuously for the last 3 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Theyve been concentrating on keeping one lane open for emergency services, so they havent been trying to fully clear them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Completely snowed in this morning and no power. Running low on food too.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Ferm001

Will a store take back my unopened bread if I have a receipt ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I thought the same until daylight.

Have at least a metre high in the back and same in front with what i can only describe as mounds of snow going across the road. Road is impasssible without use of shovels.

Same here in south Dublin . Its a metre high at the front door and drifting higher in parts . Its half way up the car doors so we are practically snowed in . At least we have electricity and have filled pots with water too . My friend in Mulhuddert has no power since last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Ferm001 wrote: »
    Will a store take back my unopened bread if I have a receipt ?

I will take it please we are snowed in here !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,324 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Even after the warnings still had some eejits going out last night in cars (snow tourists) and getting stuck! I am sorry but they should have been left stuck!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,548 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

TV3 reporters around the country live now saying things are getting worse yet the advice to remain indoors has been lifted, I'm confused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

TV3 reporters around the country live now saying things are getting worse yet the advice to remain indoors has been lifted, I'm confused.

Don't think it's being lifted until 6 although not sure if that's nationwide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

The U.B.I. have lobbied the government to lift the ‘do not venture out’ notice.

*Undertakers Brotherhood of Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

gmisk wrote: »
    Even after the warnings still had some eejits going out last night in cars (snow tourists) and getting stuck! I am sorry but they shoult d have been left stuck!

They cant be left stuck but are they thick or what one was burided so deep in a drift the person had to put a handbag on the roof so the rescue crew could find the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

When is the storm and snow due to hit Laois?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

A few news outlets reporting that a number of homeless people had to be sectioned to get them indoors

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

So am I!
    I didn't bother going to work this morning although I was only ever told I didn't have to go in yesterday (no word about today).
    But here in D8 the streets are positively deserted, wind keeps battering and the snow keeps falling...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Collie D wrote: »
    A few news outlets reporting that a number of homeless people had to be sectioned to get them indoors

Yup a bunch of people sleeping on the streets refused to go to emergency accomodation so they were sectioned for their own safety last night.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

gmisk wrote: »
    Even after the warnings still had some eejits going out last night in cars (snow tourists) and getting stuck! I am sorry but they should have been left stuck!
    But they were giving two fingers to the government!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

I’ll be doing a soup run around the thread from 10am, stick a red scarf on your front door or like the original post if you want some hot shoup.

• Advertisement
Advertisement