Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snowmagedagain

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Eh...looking at your photos...are you cloven-footed?

Yes :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Clickbait

Hasn't stopped snowing all morning in Cork. On top of yesterday's snow, I haven't ever seen anything like this in my whole life. It's way more than our last snow in 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

yermandan wrote: »
    Just woke up. I think I'm snowed in going by this pic sent to me by the neighbour....

28660950_10155102984901121_2308202947713957888_o.jpg?oh=ccdd90eac80d9dd85e4ab91eb3c647b7&oe=5B0D93D5

Do you live in a snow-globe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

My God !! It really is bad isn't it !

When is the thaw forecasted for ? June ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Woke up to the windows plastered with compacted snow, drifts of 3 foot or more, what seems to be a dune in the back garden which has buried the shed and the table on which we'd put bird food. Neighbour's car abandoned at the top of the road. Snow's still coming down. Unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Just saw a Times article about a group of German tourist giving out about us closing museums etc .Well fEck off then we are doing our best to keep people safe .Why are the media giving these people airtime ? There are other priorities like patients needing dialysis etc .

When it starts thawing, how would you prevent falls if you were to go outside? I'm so unprepared, the only shoes I've got are a pair of runners.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Clickbait wrote: »
    When it starts thawing, how would you prevent falls if you were to go outside? I'm so unprepared, the only shoes I've got are a pair of runners.

Tennis rackets and cable ties 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

The giving out of some people on social media about the "let down" of snow. Same people as storm Ophelia almost. Say they wouldn't be happy unless people died.

People were still saying this about Storm Ophelia even after people died. Ya know, because it wasn't that bad in Dublin and nowhere else exists.

kceire wrote: »
    Tennis rackets and cable ties 😂

I have no tennis rackets or cable ties either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Feeding the birds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Crawling around on your belly greatly reduces injuries from falls.

minikin wrote: »
    Crawling around on your belly greatly reduces injuries from falls.

Haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,823 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Dont go out.
    If you have to go out put socks over your runners... have never tried that myself... seems a bit bear grylls.
    Go out during daylight so you have better idea of conditions.
    Shuffle walk...take short steps with you feet pointed slightly outwards.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The giving out of some people on social media about the "let down" of snow. Same people as storm Ophelia almost. Say they wouldn't be happy unless people died.
    Complete eejits. These would then be the same people giving out that people died. Best off to ignore the ignorance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,399 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Patww79 wrote: »

Ive seen people from letterkenny complaining about it being overblown, you know the literal furthest place away from any predicated snow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Don’t forget though. The red alert was for the ENTIRE country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

mzungu wrote: »
    Complete eejits. These would then be the same people giving out that people died. Best off to ignore the ignorance.

Some poor lad broke his neck in Cork when out for a walk with his father.

Poor father called an ambulance then collapsed at the scene

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Just back from a brisk walk beautiful morning. Time for some coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,399 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Don’t forget though. The red alert was for the ENTIRE country.

When you come up with a 100% accurate to the second and metre way to predict the weather get back to us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Dont go out.
    If you have to go out put socks over your runners... have never tried that myself... seems a bit bear grylls.
    Go out during daylight so you have better idea of conditions.
    Shuffle walk...take short steps with you feet pointed slightly outwards.

Also wearing black and white clothing helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

I was talking about Ophelia. This time around I've seen plenty of whinging from Donegal direction that "it only made the news because Dublin's getting a bit of snow". No idiot, it's because it's a huge weather event affecting most of Europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I was talking about Ophelia. This time around I've seen plenty of whinging from Donegal direction that "it only made the news because Dublin's getting a bit of snow". No idiot, it's because it's a huge weather event affecting most of Europe

An event like this is a great way to differentiate (and block) the idiots on my facebook feed.
    There really is no talking to some people.
    Of course some are simply trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Gone here... We were getting an estimate of 10:45 but that hasn't happened. Fair play to the esb crews out in that, snow and wind getting worse if anything at the moment!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

tenor.gif?itemid=5478693

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0302/944527-live-weather/

The road at the back of the airport is blocked by abandoned cars. Something that will have happened at lots of other places.

Some ambulances were stuck for a few hours on the roads too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

The bread jokes are wearing fairly thin at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Jaysus, nearly had the virtual head bitten off me over on the weather forum for suggesting that weather nerds were making a bit of a big deal about this. You’d think we were about to enter another ice age by the way some of them are going on, and not facing into a few days of slushy snow and cold temperatures. There’ll be loads of people working through all this, while taking fairly reasonable precautions. Stocking up on gas cannisters, torches, and candles seems a bit much. It’s not a war time raid on London, or the Day After Tomorrow. Think some folk are getting into Ray Myers or Bear Grylls fantasies. No bread in Lidl – mother of God.

Anyways, I intend to work all week, and I’ve told my employees that they should expect to do the same, until they hear otherwise. A few inches of snow ain’t going to be changing that. I might reassess if I wake up and find out that my Ford Transit is underneath 4 foot of snow.

Pure unnecessary excitement and panic.

So Johnny, did you get to work all week ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

blow69 wrote: »

They're going stale all right

Seven Worlds will Collide

Some of them aren’t too bad, dough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Most of the complaining I've seen have been from.out west and Portlaoise.

I haven’t heard anyone from Portlaoise complaining. People just saying it wasn’t bad here. That dosent mean they are complaining that the snow didn’t hit hard here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Novelty is over. Fúck off snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,514 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

topper75 wrote: »
    He didn't bring the weather of course.

But he did issue the over-the-top misplaced warning to shut the country down when it wasn't called for.

When a career politician who so carefully budgets for and manages their PR screws up so openly, you can't begrudge people their little bit of schadenfreude can you?

He is a leader for our times perhaps. An EU proxy, consulter, deferrer. But if the chips ever come down in this country a la real catastrophe, it is not the like of him you want at the wheel.

You were duped by the media agenda about Leo's PR and spin. That is just media spin.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I haven’t heard anyone from Portlaoise complaining. People just saying it wasn’t bad here. That dosent mean they are complaining that the snow didn’t hit hard here

Typical midlander... “How come Dublin gets everything” :)
    Ye should start a political party for the decentralisation and unbiased distribution of all weather....
    and coastlines... all counties have a right to a sea view!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Jesus never taught I'd see snow like that In Ireland my whole life I'll probably never see it again!

I haven't been out today yet but from looking outside it's crazy. Me ma lives down Road from me in Rathcoole I'm in Citywest and seen pics of me brother who's about same height as me (6ft4) out the back and snows nearly up to his knees haha!!

Was gonna bring me son out again like other day to play but nah think ill leave it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Beethoven9th

I know, people should stop loafing around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

Jaysus, nearly had the virtual head bitten off me over on the weather forum for suggesting that weather nerds were making a bit of a big deal about this. You’d think we were about to enter another ice age by the way some of them are going on, and not facing into a few days of slushy snow and cold temperatures. There’ll be loads of people working through all this, while taking fairly reasonable precautions. Stocking up on gas cannisters, torches, and candles seems a bit much. It’s not a war time raid on London, or the Day After Tomorrow. Think some folk are getting into Ray Myers or Bear Grylls fantasies. No bread in Lidl – mother of God.

Anyways, I intend to work all week, and I’ve told my employees that they should expect to do the same, until they hear otherwise. A few inches of snow ain’t going to be changing that. I might reassess if I wake up and find out that my Ford Transit is underneath 4 foot of snow.

Pure unnecessary excitement and panic.

i've been banned from said forum for suggesting we've coming across as a nation of hysterical wimps who cant hack a few inches (oops! sorry CMs of snow).
    We are led/advised by a bunch of flaky Dublin-centric wimps, Riaanna Tubidy, Patricia Kenny, Josepine Duffy, Ciara Facnumb, and Lisa Veruka being the biggest woose of em all.
    :o:o:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

i've been banned from said forum for suggesting we've coming across as a nation of hysterical wimps who cant hack a few inches (oops! sorry CMs of snow).
    We are led/advised by a bunch of flaky Dublin-centric wimps, Riaanna Tubidy, Patricia Kenny, Josepine Duffy, Ciara Facnumb, and Lisa Veruka being the biggest woose of em all.

Aren't you a great fella

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Beethoven9th

Agreed. Status red weather and a nationwide curfew for a few cm's of snow. WTF !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Just went into the shed to get the spade to do a bit of snow clearance and discovered the proper snow shovel I bought in 2010 and never used :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

You're awesome. May I subscribe to your newsletter which I'm sure will be highly informative and factual.

Aren't you a great fella

i like to think so ...:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,514 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

8 feet of snow in Ardee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Where's the lad that said it was thawing in D14 last night?

Agreed. Status red weather and a nationwide curfew for a few cm's of snow. WTF !

i do think part of the problem is the weather people are actively wallowing in their new-found celebrity status.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Just went for a walk to see if anything was open and to get out for few minutes. Very strong wind out there.

Full marks to the genius in the local Spar with the "Closed until 2pm tomorrow" sign in window

What fecking day did you put it up?

• Advertisement
Advertisement