Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snowmagedagain

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Where's the lad that said it was thawing in D14 last night?

Under a bridge somewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Collie D wrote: »
    Just went for a walk to see if anything was open and to get out for few minutes. Very strong wind out there.

Full marks to the genius in the local Spar with the "Closed until 2pm tomorrow" sign in window

What fecking day did you put it up?

Nothing wrong with that. I saw a "Free Beer Tomorrow" sign in a pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Agreed. Status red weather and a nationwide curfew for a few cm's of snow. WTF !
    So the snow drifts blocking some of the main roads including the N81 here in Wicklow are a figment of our imagination then?

Take a look at some of the pictures here of Roundwood, for example ...

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=wicklow%20alerts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

Working from home the past two days and will be again tomorrow. Staring out the window, green with envy, watching all of the neighbours enjoying themselves in the snow.

Hopefully the Internet goes wallop tomorrow and I can get out with the madra :p

I'm the same (damn technology). I'm the only one online today as the rest from work are without broadband

Or so they say:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

i've been banned from said forum for suggesting we've coming across as a nation of hysterical wimps who cant hack a few inches (oops! sorry CMs of snow).
    We are led/advised by a bunch of flaky Dublin-centric wimps, Riaanna Tubidy, Patricia Kenny, Josepine Duffy, Ciara Facnumb, and Lisa Veruka being the biggest woose of em all.
    :o:o:o
    Few centimetres?
    73_FD9905_CF40_4361_AD45_ED3_B18_B7_E5_AC.jpg
    RbZz0Q.jpg
    28467817_10157485150362293_5048763131811250091_n.jpg?oh=fd4f416d0fa0d1ba9235eb40c937a890&oe=5B0AD892
    3_C93_B1_F8_13_A4_4_C5_C_8_C10_581_A537_A6_CA2.png
    33w1wli.jpg

And not a single one of those photos is from Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Has anyone seen that Beechwoodspark fella since last night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

And not a single one of those photos is from Dublin.

Aw, don't spoil it for the whinge-bags!

Please don't report him missing! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,650 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I think we will be talking Swedish or Norwegian next ha ha :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

I was wrong. I admit it. I thought it was going to be a big non event. However, I woke up this morning to about a foot of snow. Back garden looks lile Val d'Isere.

Now, did it require a nationwide shut down, panic buying, Government Emergency War Rooms etc?

Nah, dont think so. Its only snow. Its not napalm.

1jf5nb.jpg
    He can still give the government the finger though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I love the smell of napalm snow in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Now, did it require a nationwide shut down, panic buying, Government Emergency War Rooms etc?

Yeah it kinda did. Maybe not nationwide, but certainly in some counties. Just because it's not dangerous where you are doesn't mean it isn't elsewhere. Where I am in Dublin, close to city centre, it's very difficult to get anywhere. The roads and pavements are covered in ice and are slippery as fùck. I've seen people fall on their back and hit their head because of the ice. Black ice at that. I even fell and fùcked up my arm on my way to the shop to get food.

Still the snow has given me two days off work so I'm happy lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

been in ireland over 10 years but fck me, i thought it will be few inches at best and fluff will melt in a day or two, just to be trapped two feet of snow in the estate, fun wears of fast to realize how messed up things can get two power outages in last 24hrs, impossible to leave estates and roads lethal to be on, and this amount will take forever to clear not to mention slush it will create afterwards. theres no possible way to prepare for such crap, just to sit it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I was wrong. I admit it. I thought it was going to be a big non event. However, I woke up this morning to about a foot of snow. Back garden looks lile Val d'Isere.

Nah, dont think so. Its only snow. Its not napalm.

I think the Government have done really well here to be honest. I was skeptical this would amount to much but because of the frequency and consistency of the warnings I went out and stocked up (didn't panic buy - I don't have a houseful of bread and milk but enough to get by for 2-3 days).

I, and many more like me, can't get too far outside the door today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

Credit to my local HALFORDS who ave remained open despite Ciara Facnumb and his South County Dublin wimpy weather warnings.
    Well done guys!

scamalert wrote: »
    been in ireland over 10 years but fck me, i thought it will be few inches at best and fluff will melt in a day or two, just to be trapped two feet of snow in the estate, fun wears of fast to realize how messed up things can get two power outages in last 24hrs, impossible to leave estates and roads lethal to be on, and this amount will take forever to clear not to mention slush it will create afterwards. theres no possible way to prepare for such crap, just to sit it out.

FFS man-up!
    grab yourself a shovel and start shifting.
    :o:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

Yeah it kinda did. Maybe not nationwide, but certainly in some counties. Just because it's not dangerous where you are doesn't mean it isn't elsewhere. Where I am in Dublin, close to city centre, it's very difficult to get anywhere. The roads and pavements are covered in ice and are slippery as fùck. I've seen people fall on their back and hit their head because of the ice. Black ice at that. I even fell and fùcked up my arm on my way to the shop to get food.

Still the snow has given me two days off work so I'm happy lol

Roads are slippy = national emergency?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Bring Kendal mint cake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Remember to shovel it away from doors to your house, unless you want flooded halls when it thaws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Name and shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Agreed. Status red weather and a nationwide curfew for a few cm's of snow. WTF !

I asked earlier in the thread and got no answer. Could you provide a link to any sort of CURFEW in Ireland in 2018. Thanks.

I asked earlier in the thread and got no answer. Could you provide a link to any sort of CURFEW in Ireland in 2018. Thanks.

Less of the tough questions! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

scamalert wrote: »

But if you're only in Ireland ten years that means you're foreign. And you should be laughing at us.

This doesn't compute with the stories on here of Canadians, Poles and Mexicans splitting their sides at thick old Paddy.

I wonder are those posters that keep mentioning a curfew are really on release from prison and have an electronic tag. It's a court imposed curfew on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

It's not bad if the Centra is in your estate. If anything it's a nice walk, if you keep it short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Went to bed with feck all snow sticking but fully aware that it was yet to come.

Woke up this morning in essentially an igloo. Snow is as at least high as my rib-cage in places, and packed high across the entire roof. Worryingly compacted on my (perspex) conservatory roof too which looks to be heaving under the pressure.

Not a hope of leaving the house for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I wonder are those posters that keep mentioning a curfew really on release from prison and have an electronic tag. It's a court imposed curfew on them.

Or their mammy told them not to go out.
    A mammy curfew.

Roads are slippy = national emergency?

my aunt slipped on a banana skin last year and broke her hip.
    i started a nationwide campaign to have all these evil fruit n veg stores closed down.

Join me www.banthebanana.ie

We can make a difference!!!

• Advertisement

Or their mammy told them not to go out.
    A mammy curfew.

Enforced with a wooden spoon.

Remember to shovel it away from doors to your house, unless you want flooded halls when it thaws.

heh! Yes I just did mine when I realised it was about a foot deep against both doors. The snow fall is more substantial now than at any point since this began (Waterford, where we're not used to this sort of thing)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Anyone seen the video on FB of the queue to get into Centra in Tallaght?! There's a line of about 100 people!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Took me hours to built this massive SnowmanGirl

qqec07.jpg

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Rianna Tubidy discovers the Toy Show has been 'er, axed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

Go on , it’s the challenges in life that make it worth living :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Collie D wrote: »
    But if you're only in Ireland ten years that means you're foreign. And you should be laughing at us.

This doesn't compute with the stories on here of Canadians, Poles and Mexicans splitting their sides at thick old Paddy.

The Poles can stop laughing because 21 homeless people died there in the last three days . At least we got our into shelter and the red warnings may well have saved lives . I for one am very grateful for the pre warnings and my family is safe and warm and vital medication stocked in the fridge .

Thanks to all emergency services and hospital staff who are amazing .

my aunt slipped on a banana skin last year and broke her hip.
    i started a nationwide campaign to have all these evil fruit n veg stores closed down.

Join me www.banthebanana.ie

We can make a difference!!!
    Think everyone can see why the Weather mods made their decision :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

fullstop wrote: »
    Anyone seen the video on FB of the queue to get into Centra in Tallaght?! There's a line of about 100 people!

Most them are buying cans etc I'd imagine.

I'm not even joking!

Just wondering if I should get my Wellies and over-trousers out of the car.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

You were doing well until you linked Her.ie!

Do people believe everything they read in the paper on on websites? I thought it was common knowledge that the press sensationalise to get clicks.

Back door me mas house!

Brother had to get the dogs threw the window hahaha.

No few inches 'er i mean blizzard will ever stand between a man and is Friday evening slabs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I'm not even joking!

Lots of kids in that estate so they need milk etc .Dont be so judgemental

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

blow69 wrote: »
    The bread jokes are wearing fairly thin at this stage.
    Only doing it because I knead the dough.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Lots of kids in that estate so they need milk etc .Dont be so judgemental

I'm not I've heard it first hand lol.

Im walking distance from talla.

I'm sure there be plenty who need bread etc but I'm sure they where also eating 3 or 4 slices each with there frys each day.

You can portion food!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    The Poles can stop laughing because 21 homeless people died there in the last three days . At least we got our into shelter and the red warnings may well have saved lives . I for one am very grateful for the pre warnings and my family is safe and warm and vital medication stocked in the fridge .

Thanks to all emergency services and hospital staff who are amazing .

What the Poles don't say is that they have snow ploughs constantly clearing the roads for the traffic, put any Pole on the secondary roads that haven't been treated and they wouldn't be half as smart with the laughing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

I'm not even joking!

Most of the households around here near that Centra run on metered Gas and Electric. That Centra is open till 2 so people can get just that as the shelves were cleared out yesterday of everything else.

• Advertisement
Advertisement