Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snowmagedagain

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

What the Poles don't say is that they have snow ploughs constantly clearing the roads for the traffic, put any Pole on the secondary roads that haven't been treated and they wouldn't be half as smart with the laughing.

Read a piece in the Times about a group of strong young Germans whinging because they couldnt get into museums etc and were bored .Well if I had talked to them I would have directed them to the homeless shelters to give a hand there to ease their boredom .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Most of the households around here near that Centra run on metered Gas and Electric. That Centra is open till 2 so people can get just that as the shelves were cleared out yesterday of everything else.

Ya im sure people will need certain things that's fine I understand that but there be plenty going in buying stupid things.

I've been around the shops last few days where people In buying rolls bottles coke etc. Pointless in tat weather. There just out looking for something to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Ya im sure people will need certain things that's fine I understand that but there be plenty going in buying stupid things.

I've been around the shops last few days where people In buying rolls bottles coke etc. Pointless in tat weather. There just out looking for something to do.

Harmless , sure if I could only get past the snow drift in the front garden I too would be out looking for somethign to buy !

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ianmcloughlin6

Hey. Anyone know of any takeaways open in South Dublin area?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Patww79 wrote: »
    Couldn't blame them wanting to get out for a while.

This.

I'm strolling down to the shops now. As much to get a bit of fresh air after working on a laptop at home for three days.

And to get beer.

Couldn't blame them wanting to get out for a while.

Doubt they have been stuck inside in fairness. You can go out all ya want it just gets messy after a while. I've been in and out doing things meself since start week. Was just lucky didn't have to work.

Put it this way if I was working in one those shops and was made to go to work so locals could get there smokes drink and rubbish food I'd be pissed off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Missus is staring to off her rocker and is considering smashing my head in with a frying pan.

Doubt they have been stuck inside in fairness. You can go out all ya want it just gets messy after a while. I've been in and out doing things meself since start week. Was just lucky didn't have to work.

Put it this way if I was working in one those shops and was made to go to work so locals could get there smokes drink and rubbish food I'd be pissed off.

We have been inside now for three days .Major drifts on the cul de sac and at least knee deep in places . No one on my road ( not a million miles from that Centra ) have actually moved in two full days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Just watching the news on RTE 1. All stories about impact of snow, depths, attempts to clear snow etc but not one single report of accidents or one single fatality.

Surely that is proof that the warning system has worked and it is therefore correct to have been done.

People don't realise this and prevented deaths are unprovable of course but the news is very different in the UK and other countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Hey. Anyone know of any takeaways open in South Dublin area?

South Dublin is fairly large, are you looking for delivery or collection?

Try just eat or marvin.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    We have been inside now for three days .Major drifts on the cul de sac and at least knee deep in places . No one on my road ( not a million miles from that Centra ) have actually moved in two full days

You can do a lot of things if you try. Where do you think I'm living Barbados lol. It's fairly mental where I am meself still had to go out for few things since it started.

It's not a big deal if don't need to go out your better off staying in but you can if you really want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

What the Poles don't say is that they have snow ploughs constantly clearing the roads for the traffic, put any Pole on the secondary roads that haven't been treated and they wouldn't be half as smart with the laughing.

It's our tyres that leave us down compared to the euro people.

They have legal requirements for changing over to winter tyres, which would make untreated backroads quite drivable. Such a legal requirement makes sense in euroland but we have a warm temperate climate as the norm on this island. This snow is utter freak stuff for us.

We shouldn't have shut the country though. That was an over-reaction. We could have just operated that bit more slowly and patiently and kept everything open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

fryup wrote: »
    @yermandan.............where are you?

Sallins in Kildare!!! Absolutely no let up here for 24 hours now, but my bro-in-law just shovelled me a way out

28685115_10155103093561121_6922891487583666176_n.jpg?oh=8d89f63636c0e867c30a75a13bc8dbe4&oe=5B4C75F4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

topper75 wrote: »

They have legal requirements for changing over to winter tyres, which would make untreated backroads quite drivable. Such a legal requirement makes sense in euroland but we have a warm temperate climate as the norm on this island. This snow is utter freak stuff for us.

We shouldn't have shut the country though. That was an over-reaction. We could have just operated that bit more slowly and patiently and kept everything open.

We don't get enough snow to warrant winter tyres, a lot of hassle and cost for a rare event.

How can you operate a country a bit more slowly as you propose? How do you implement that?

Where I am, Bray Co Wicklow, the warnings are 100% justified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,428 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

topper75 wrote: »

"We" can't be depended on to behave normally if everything was open. As soon as a delivery of milk or bread arrives at a shop, we clear it out in minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

You're (a) presuming that everybody working there doesn't live locally and (b) they might want the extra work as they're probably not getting paid when the place is shut.

Judging by my local centra type shop, most of them are from the locale.

• Advertisement

You can do a lot of things if you try. Where do you think I'm living Barbados lol. It's fairly mental where I am meself still had to go out for few things since it started.

It's not a big deal if don't need to go out your better off staying in but you can if you really want.

No thanks , we are senior citizens and not risking a fall .I stocked up thanks to the warning and not risking needing to call the emergency services from much more needy situations

You're (a) presuming that everybody working there doesn't live locally and (b) they might want the extra work as they're probably not getting paid when the place is shut.

Judging by my local centra type shop, most of them are from the locale.

I'd say they where dying to get in this morning ha!

I've worked in few different shops over years Centra being one them and in all kinds areas. With that weather and with all them people in there today I'd say it was a nightmare for staff.

Cleaning all day alone would of been a massive pain in the hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Just in case you are crawling the walls, I give you:

http://socialarcadeapp.com/Games/BeastFromTheEast/

I have no affiliation with it so if the developer is on here, kudos!

No thanks , we are senior citizens and not risking a fall .I stocked up thanks to the warning and not risking needing to call the emergency services from much more needy situations

You were smart then you planned ahead! If only more people had of done this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

murpho999 wrote: »
    Just watching the news on RTE 1. All stories about impact of snow, depths, attempts to clear snow etc but not one single report of accidents or one single fatality.

Surely that is proof that the warning system has worked and it is therefore correct to have been done.

People don't realise this and prevented deaths are unprovable of course but the news is very different in the UK and other countries.

sensible people do.

of course, a significant amount of the public are thick as sh1t, and will just say "sure it was grand, no-one died, a big fuss over nothing".

• Advertisement

Thank you . Mainly due to experience of 82 and knowing what happened .

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ianmcloughlin6

Hi Charlie. Ballsbridge area, looking for delivery later on this evening!! Just in case anyone knew anywhere definitely open..

Fair play for the warning that went out.

On the button in fairness

Thank you . Mainly due to experience of 82 and knowing what happened .

It's a totally different situation for people over certain age or one's who aren't great on there feet either so I understand that I wouldn't fancy being in that situation!

Sure I've s bruise on me arse and arm from falling there other day bringing back shopping for herself and the kids haha.

One blessed thing we forgot was cat litter and the poor cat has his legs crossed all morning ! Just shredded some paper now for him and put it on a tray !

• Advertisement

Hi Charlie. Ballsbridge area, looking for delivery later on this evening!! Just in case anyone knew anywhere definitely open..

Looking for coke?

One blessed thing we forgot was cat litter and the poor cat has his legs crossed all morning ! Just shredded some paper now for him and put it on a tray !

I didn't think Wednesday was gonna be as bad as it was so I had tesco delivering my shopping that morning as usual but they couldn't come so just had to make few trips back and forth to the local dunnes.

Lucky its just beside me.

Saying that I forgot one or two things meself lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

Winter tyres are one of the biggest cons of all time.

I used them in 2010 got me through a lot of backroads, you hit the breaks and there's so much Minute grips in them,and the rubbers softer,so they push into the frozen surface rather than skid along it....

I'm down to my last 3/4 of a bottle of red wine. Guess I better put some of the leftover Christmas bubbly in the fridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Caribs wrote: »
    Just heard someone from Irish water talking about leaving your attic door open to get heat into the attic space to help avoid the pipes up there freezing. We have fibreglass insulation between the ceiling and the attic but the roof itself is not insulated. Surely all you are doing to venting heat straight out of the roof by doing this. Attic space temp might come up slightly but the rest of the house will get colder or am I missing something?

The insulation on the ceiling is keeping the heat below (not entirely true but just to illustrate the point). So the attic is cold. Opening the attic hatch lets heat into the attic to raise the temperature and mitigate the risk of pipes freezing.

Pipes in the attic should really be insulated themselves as should the water storage tank.

Beer running low and this is a worrying development in my life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Was Sallins hit this bad in 2010, incredible pictures coming out of the place!, any locals know?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Pub is open tonight. No TV here and running out of beer so I'm heading down. Pray for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Supercell wrote: »
    Was Sallins hit this bad in 2010, incredible pictures coming out of the place!, any locals know?

Not even close, my sister got married that weekend in Sallins church and we had to shovel a path for her to get in but it wasn't even close to this level

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'm completely snowed in. We had a huge snowfall overnight, out garden is under about three feet and we are at the bottom of a hill so no chance of getting out of the estate. It's still snowing so we are staying put for the next few days.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

The red warning kept me indoors and safe from slipping . What is so difficult about understanding a warning is to keep people safe . Its not shackling you to the bed post its a reminder to be careful and mindful of your abilities .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

She’s an elderly lady who is clearly nervous about the hazardous conditions and wants to heed the warnings.
    Leave it out.

Some neighbours from eastern Europe have been digging their cars out of the snow for the last couple of hours and are now digging their way out of the estate.
    There is at least 40cm snow on the road and the drifts in the gardens are about a meter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,521 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Anyone who like me forgot cat litter ? Our cat never needs it normally but refusing to go out in knee high snow ! He was in a bit of a state and crossing his legs needing to pee . We just shredded some paper and spread it on a tray and hey presto the cat has total relief !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Some neighbours from eastern Europe have been digging their cars out of the snow for the last couple of hours and are now digging their way out of the estate.
    There is at least 40cm snow on the road and the drifts in the gardens are about a meter.

Surprised they got any work done considering every foreigner in Ireland has apparently been in fits of side splitting laughter for 72 hours straight....

I am willing to bet all my worldly possessions that all the hard men saying "total non event, 2010 was a billion times worse." were saying "Nothing unusual in this cold, 2004 was far worse" in 2010.

Then the same people said in 2004 that the snow was nothing and the previous snow (whenever that was) was apocalyptic in comparison. Going all the way back to their birth.

I'm picturing some early humans coming out from Africa in 1'000'000 BC and encountering mankinds first snowfall, and the bull****ter in the group still claiming he's seen worse snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Great to see the ladies of Malahide in full make up out for the walk. One needs to look great...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Still snowing in Finglas will probably be Wednesday before its safe to go out again

Advertisement