Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snowmagedagain

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

topper75 wrote: »
    It's our tyres that leave us down compared to the euro people.

They have legal requirements for changing over to winter tyres, which would make untreated backroads quite drivable. Such a legal requirement makes sense in euroland but we have a warm temperate climate as the norm on this island. This snow is utter freak stuff for us.

We shouldn't have shut the country though. That was an over-reaction. We could have just operated that bit more slowly and patiently and kept everything open.

I know you mean in general but winter tyres wouldn't make any difference here today where I am.

All that I've seen pass today is a few tractors and jeeps, the Gardai have said many of the roads in Galway are impassable and the one outside my door is one of them so I'd challenge any Pole to make it through in a car and see how far they get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just looked down that side of my house where there is a low dividing wall with my neighbour, it'll be invisible soon. I really should go out for a ramble and take some pix and yet why would do that when it's warm in here? Speaking of which the electric bill is going to about twice the average I'd say, maybe more.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Route1

Was reading that there’s more snow forecast for next weekend? Is that true or will it be gone by midweek?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Anyone who like me forgot cat litter ? Our cat never needs it normally but refusing to go out in knee high snow ! He was in a bit of a state and crossing his legs needing to pee . We just shredded some paper and spread it on a tray and hey presto the cat has total relief !!

NEVER seen a cat crossing their legs! Did you snap a pic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Markgc

Lady in Longford had to ring-up Joe Duffy in Dublin for help for sick husband.
    Where's the community?

Everybody stop posting and ensure your vulnerable neighbours are not in need.
    Many can be too proud or shy to ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Route1

Was reading that there’s more snow forecast for next weekend? Is that true or will it be gone by midweek?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Varta

Whether or not people agree with the need for a red warning, the attitude of the media has been worrying at times. Shades of the old East Germany about some of the statements. Like this from the Indo: "And while people are now allowed to go outside, they are being urged not to make unnecessary journeys." ALLOWED!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

degsie wrote: »
    NEVER seen a cat crossing their legs! Did you snap a pic?

Metaphorically speaking !!! but he was actually walking in circles and running from front to back door in the hope that it was not snowing outside one of the entrances !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,428 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Varta wrote: »
    Whether or not people agree with the need for a red warning, the attitude of the media has been worrying at times. Shades of the old East Germany about some of the statements. Like this from the Indo: "And while people are now allowed to go outside, they are being urged not to make unnecessary journeys." ALLOWED!

That doesn't worry me in the slightest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

Most of my friends are re-tweeting same jokes and pictures. Is nobody getting out and having fun anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭farmerwifelet

Most of my friends are re-tweeting same jokes and pictures. Is nobody getting out and having fun anymore?

snow starting to melt in patches here but the wind would cut you in two. I am debating whether to let the kids out before it melts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Patww79 wrote: »
    Winter tyres are one of the biggest cons of all time.

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I tried fun once, found it very overrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I tried fun once, found it very overrated.

Am sick at the moment but what the hell. Going to head out for a few minutes. If I don't post again you will all know why. :D

Am sick at the moment but what the hell. Going to head out for a few minutes. If I don't post again you will all know why. :D

Make sure to follow the thread when you are out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Snowing very heavily in Bray right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

murpho999 wrote: »
    Snowing very heavily in Bray right now.
    Yes, proper snowflakes rather than all the fine dusty stuff we had earlier.

Best of luck in your endeavours and remember keep clear of the yellow snow:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Varta wrote: »

That advice is aimed at Indo readers. Nothing there to worry the rest of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Alun wrote: »
    Yes, proper snowflakes rather than all the fine dusty stuff we had earlier.

Same in north Dublin, coupled with that wind today could be the peak here if it persists. Hadn't snowed all morning before now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

4jEeZje.jpg
    the road is in the foreground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I'm diabetic and have many other health and other issues if this does go on much longer I'm gonna be in trouble before too long my medications needed to be collected two days ago but chemist was closed and probably will be until Monday now I've cut back the dosage of my meds to make em last the next few days have enough food till Monday but the boredom is getting to me, living in the part of Finglas I'm in once the buses do start up again all the nice kids will soon throw rocks at the causing the service to stop coming up here this area is so snowed under it will need the army to dig it out soon.

I'm diabetic and have many other health and other issues if this does go on much longer I'm gonna be in trouble before too long my medications needed to be collected two days ago but chemist was closed and probably will be until Monday now I've cut back the dosage of my meds to make em last the next few days have enough food till Monday but the boredom is getting to me, living in the part of Finglas I'm in once the buses do start up again all the nice kids will soon throw rocks at the causing the service to stop coming up here this area is so snowed under it will need the army to dig it out soon.

Best of luck , maybe phone the chemists in the area to see who is open and if they can help you at all. ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Schwanz wrote: »
    Beer running low and this is a worrying development in my life

I have disconnected the doorbell incase anyone calls round expecting hospitality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

My local pub had plenty of people last night all happy they had no work. Felt like a Saturday night out. Nice to see snow felt festive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

There's an awful lot of people out making videos in the snow in the obvious hope they'll go viral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

McCabes open and many have doctors with them til 5. If you can get near one then absolutely do. If it's Insulin you're missing then you shouldn't be cutting down on your dose or missing any.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Salt water and electricity ?
    It'll be grand.

• Advertisement

Markgc wrote: »
    Lady in Longford had to ring-up Joe Duffy in Dublin for help for sick husband.
    Where's the community?

Everybody stop posting and ensure your vulnerable neighbours are not in need.
    Many can be too proud or shy to ask.

Another 70yo diabetic man with no heat in house. Only a small fan heater which KEPT HIM ALIVE last night; as Waterford Council refused him proper assistance. No-one calls in to see him. In Waterford CITY!
    Shameful.

In 2008 I was at the Galway Kerry quarter final, along with a friend. We parked in Portmarnock and took the Dart to Connolly. After the game with the rainstorm the Dart line was blocked by landslides.

We got a taxi a bit of the way to Portmarnock, but when it couldn't get any further we walked in water up to our knees for a few miles. Eventually got back to the MI in the car, after many diversions with floods. There was hardly any rain a bit further north.

https://www.balls.ie/irishlife/wettest-days-history-irish-sport-142257

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Swimmer drowning in Sandycove rescued by bystanders using a lifering. It's doing the rounds on Social Media.

I'm Type 1 and the biggest problem is going to be the lack of any physical activity, never mind vigorous exercise. This leads to elevated blood sugar levels. I am going to go out in the snow to do some walking. If you can get out at all, it will help.

Markgc wrote: »
    Another 70yo diabetic man with no heat in house. Only a small fan heater which KEPT HIM ALIVE last night; as Waterford Council refused him proper assistance. No-one calls in to see him. In Waterford CITY!
    Shameful.

Oh Bless him the poor divil .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Schwanz wrote: »
    Missus is staring to off her rocker and is considering smashing my head in with a frying pan.
    Mine has done nothing but stare through the window since it started snowing...

...if it gets any heavier I might have to let her in!

• Advertisement

I'm Type 1 and the biggest problem is going to be the lack of any physical activity, never mind vigorous exercise. This leads to elevated blood sugar levels. I am going to go out in the snow to do some walking. If you can get out at all, it will help.
    Can you download an excerise app on your phone ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Swimmer drowning in Sandycove rescued by bystanders using a lifering. It's doing the rounds on Social Media.

https://twitter.com/AengusCox/status/969581672252526593

First place in the Darwin Awards sweepstakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Cabin fever.

Relentless non stop snow here in south Dublin . The estate is now completely snowed in and drifts are higher than 82 . Scary stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

https://twitter.com/AengusCox/status/969581672252526593

He's giving the 2 fingers to authorities I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

What a moron

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Anita Blow wrote: »
    McCabes open and many have doctors with them til 5. If you can get near one then absolutely do. If it's Insulin you're missing then you shouldn't be cutting down on your dose or missing any.

It's not insulin and the nearest McCabes would be quite a distance away I've enough meds to do me till Monday at this rate but type 2 with loads of complications I'm gonna be in serious trouble from lack of activities and a very poor diet the past few days but that can't be helped at this stage I am sure there are many out there that will be ducked worse than I when this is all said and done, once my chemist is open again I'll be getting some sherpa guides for the trek up. ;)

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Oh Bless him the poor divil .

I know.
    Ireland today.
    People too busy taking selfies, if you know what I mean.
    How about we point the camera in the other direction and give a little for a change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

demello wrote: »
    Let's call this daftness for what it is, hysterical overreaction to a bit of snow. Many parts of the country were fine yesterday and today. Colleges and schools could have been open in many places yesterday and to a slightly lesser extent today. The decsion to close schools should be left to the local management . It was the same during storm Ophelia - many places were totally unaffected yet the whole vountry closed down. Now we will have the media congratulating Met Eireann a d others for their 'great' work. Did any part of the country experience an actual blizzard. What other country would have their leader telling us to stay inside? We arr a laughing stock

Sooo....no snow fell where you are, which means in your logic, no snow fell anywhere and there was no need for there to be any warnings and life should have gone on as normal. I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Why isn't there a pill for stupidity

Try harder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Vast swathes of the country are literally snowed in, they actually cannot open the doors of their house or their cars, and it still hasn't stopped snowing. Give over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Jaysus!

Why isn't there a pill for stupidity

They're working on it.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/LK/20060810/news/605230671/SH/

• Advertisement
Advertisement