Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snowmagedagain

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

demello wrote: »
    Let's call this daftness for what it is, hysterical overreaction to a bit of snow. Many parts of the country were fine yesterday and today. Colleges and schools could have been open in many places yesterday and to a slightly lesser extent today. The decsion to close schools should be left to the local management . It was the same during storm Ophelia - many places were totally unaffected yet the whole vountry closed down. Now we will have the media congratulating Met Eireann a d others for their 'great' work. Did any part of the country experience an actual blizzard. What other country would have their leader telling us to stay inside? We arr a laughing stock

All those foreigners must be in agony from splitting their sides laughing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Worst trolling attempt of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

https://twitter.com/AengusCox/status/969581672252526593

First place in the Darwin Awards sweepstakes.

What a selfish ****ing prick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mod: Because another snow thread is exactly what we need...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

It's not insulin and the nearest McCabes would be quite a distance away I've enough meds to do me till Monday at this rate but type 2 with loads of complications I'm gonna be in serious trouble from lack of activities and a very poor diet the past few days but that can't be helped at this stage I am sure there are many out there that will be ducked worse than I when this is all said and done, once my chemist is open again I'll be getting some sherpa guides for the trek up. ;)

Hopefully the thaw is well underway for you to get medication on Monday. As for exercise, there is much you can do in your home without needing to go outdoors. All you need is your body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

fullstop wrote: »
    What a selfish ****ing prick.

Two fingers to the authorities, probably hoping for a camera around. I'd have let him drown. Okay maybe I wouldn't have but for a split second the decision could have gone eitherway.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    He's giving the 2 fingers to authorities I'd say.

Well those people should have given two fingers to him. Arseholes like him put other people in danger as well as themselves. What if the other fella slipped off that wall?

Edit; was a her apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Two fingers to the authorities, probably hoping for a camera around. I'd have let him drown. Okay maybe I wouldn't have but for a split second the decision could have gone eitherway.

I certainly wouldn't be putting myself in danger to save him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

This interesting imagine this never ended?

An alarming heatwave in the sunless winter Arctic is causing blizzards in Europe and forcing scientists to reconsider even their most pessimistic forecasts of climate change.

Although it could yet prove to be a freak event, the primary concern is that global warming is eroding the polar vortex, the powerful winds that once insulated the frozen north.

The north pole gets no sunlight until March, but an influx of warm air has pushed temperatures in Siberia up by as much as 35C above historical averages this month. Greenland has already experienced 61 hours above freezing in 2018 - more than three times as many hours as in any previous year.

Seasoned observers have described what is happening as “crazy,” “weird,” and “simply shocking”.

“This is an anomaly among anomalies. It is far enough outside the historical range that it is worrying – it is a suggestion that there are further surprises in store as we continue to poke the angry beast that is our climate,” said Michael Mann, director of the Earth System Science Center at Pennsylvania State University. “The Arctic has always been regarded as a bellwether because of the vicious circle that amplify human-caused warming in that particular region. And it is sending out a clear warning.”

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/feb/27/arctic-warming-scientists-alarmed-by-crazy-temperature-rises

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

just lit the fire, ate lasagne, watched all the weather reports on rte player, toasty warm, dog sat at window for last hour just staring at the snow, feeling blissful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

koumi wrote: »
    just lit the fire, ate lasagne, watched all the weather reports on rte player, toasty warm, dog sat at window for last hour just staring at the snow, feeling blissful.

+1 having a few cans, catching up on the computer game backlog. Wife is baking a cake. Going for a snuggle and a nap in a minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Can you download an excerise app on your phone ?

Have we forgotten how to exercise without having to download an app? Jesus christ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,428 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

koumi wrote: »

Watch out for indoor air pollution. It's the next armgeddon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

So, what's the latest on the road and airports? Will Dublin airport be operational tomorrow and what's the latest on the road network in and around Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,428 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Berserker wrote: »
    So, what's the latest on the road and airports? Will Dublin airport be operational tomorrow and what's the latest on the road network in and around Dublin?

Bad, yes and bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Her.ie? :D:D:D

Anyone in Ireland who took even a minute to read the warnings would know there was no curfew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

Relentless non stop snow here in south Dublin . The estate is now completely snowed in and drifts are higher than 82 . Scary stuff

about 2-3 inches 'er sorry cms ere. Just back from a lakeside walk followed by hot chocolate for the kids. lovely, picturesque scenes. Kids now busy making snowmen 'er sorry snowpersons, in the garden. fire on, bottle of Red at the ready. warm as toast.

my sincere sympathy extended to all my Dublin friends.
    be sure to keep a close eye on yer pipes, and if you hear hissing and/or see damp patches, please do not mistake it for the neighbours cat!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Her.ie? :D:D:D

Anyone in Ireland who took even a minute to read the warnings would know there was no curfew.

If I'm not mistaken I thought I heard George Lee refer to it as a Fatwah on the RTE weather special earlier :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Weather warnings are about managing risk, not certainties. At least we were more prepared this time than we were in 2010.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Someone was banging on about how the UK didn't have the same amount of RED level warnings and how we're a bunch of nanny state wossies, well 9 people are now reported dead in weather related incidents over there. So maybe they should have been tougher about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

One blessed thing we forgot was cat litter and the poor cat has his legs crossed all morning ! Just shredded some paper now for him and put it on a tray !

I know your pain, well the cat does anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Someone was banging on about how the UK didn't have the same amount of RED level warnings and how we're a bunch of nanny state wossies, well 9 people are now reported dead in weather related incidents over there. So maybe they should have been tougher about it.

There were also people stuck in their cars on motorways up and down the UK for 10+ hours...... and we are the idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Raining here now and getting very wild and noisy out, can feel something brewing. Have a feeling Emma could be visiting soon. Who the heck came up with Emma anyway?!? Very meek name! A big powerful Jennifer or Josephine would be much better I think! :pac: Whole place gonna be in some shyte when this is all over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

For the love of jaysus.

you do realise that at least 9 people on average probably die every day in the UK due to accidents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I saw a tractor pulling an ambulance out of a driveway this morning.

you do realise that at least 9 people on average probably die every day in the UK due to accidents.

"weather related accidents"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭optogirl

Yes, and this 9 are additional to that as it was weather related.

Well this was something specific wasn't it? Obviously I don't have details but if you knew someone went out when it was advisable to stay in and they died as a car slid on ice and ran them over then the death was entirely preventable. The car should have been in a driveway and the pedestrian should have been indoors. Self preservation seems to be a concept alien to many so they need to be told (ordered even).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭Christy42

No link and a probably in that sentence makes it seem like you are incredibly doubtful of this fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

And that stlll has happened in normal RTAs. The 9 deaths reported are directly attributed to the weather.

Why are you and others like you refusing to accept that this is a major weather event and the Irish warning systems have saved lives and have been a success.

Why people are so upset about being advised to be indoors during very bad weather is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Have we forgotten how to exercise without having to download an app? Jesus christ.

Go ****e . I was being helpful to a Type 1 diabetic

murpho999 wrote: »
    And that stlll has happened in normal RTAs. The 9 deaths reported are directly attributed to the weather.

Why are you and others like you refusing to accept that this is a major weather event and the Irish warning systems have saved lives and have been a success.

Why people are so upset about being advised to be indoors during very bad weather is beyond me.

"but muh rights"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Hey. Anyone know of any takeaways open in South Dublin area?

Borza in Kimmage is open now !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Gamifying things like excercise is a great way to get people up and out who wouldnt normally be bothered, pokemon go is a prime example even if it was only a flash in the pan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

• Advertisement

VinLieger wrote: »
    "weather related accidents"

says who?
    i doubt there's been a coronor's report into them just yet.
    media hype morelike

says who?
    media hype morelike

So people stuck on motorways overnight in the UK is nothing to do with the weather.

Just worth mentioning that when you step out of your front or back door its worth looking up as there is probably a massive overhang of snow and it could break off at any moment.

attributed by whom? you and your friends?
    my dog died last week . should i put that down to the impending weather? these animals ave a 6th sense you know!:eek:

says who?
    media hype morelike

yeah - it's the media. I wouldn't be surprised if they're doctoring people's cars to make sure the brakes don't work. Non event blah blah blah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The UK haven't closed down their country because they have a bit of backbone.
    They faced down the Germans twice while we cowered in their shadow. A couple of inches of snow are going to see them closing down schools and public transport for a few days.

Listening to our politicians telling is to stay indoors in case someone has a boo-boo is cringe-inducing.

• Advertisement

So people stuck on motorways overnight in the UK is nothing to do with the weather.

well i know of one guy whose car had a clutch problem. i doubt the snow caused that.
    ever hear of CAUSALITY?

attributed by whom? you and your friends?
    my dog died last week . should i put that down to the impending weather? these animals ave a 6th sense you know!:eek:

You really are talking a load of sh1te.

You're just arguing for the sake of arguing and not contributing anything worthwhile or backed up with any facts.

Not worth engaging with....good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The UK haven't closed down their country because they have a bit of backbone.
    They faced down the Germans twice while we cowered in their shadow. A couple of inches of snow are going to see them closing down schools and public transport for a few days.

Listening to our politicians telling is to stay indoors in case someone has a boo-boo is cringe-inducing.

I find you actually cringe inducing .

well i know of one guy whose car had a clutch problem. i doubt the snow caused that.
    ever hear of CAUSALITY?

It's OK to admit you were wrong. You don't have to keep pretending that there's no weather event happening just because you were originally dubious.

• Advertisement
Advertisement