Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snowmagedagain

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

This is pathetic, it hasn't snowed for hours and it's barely covering the grass now.

I want my armageddon-style blizzard!

Just don't cut the power or internet, everyone hates that ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

This is pathetic, it hasn't snowed for hours and it's barely covering the grass now.

I want my armageddon-style blizzard!

Just don't cut the power or internet, everyone hates that ****.

Its here on my patch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The UK haven't closed down their country because they have a bit of backbone.
    They faced down the Germans twice while we cowered in their shadow. A couple of inches of snow are going to see them closing down schools and public transport for a few days.

Listening to our politicians telling is to stay indoors in case someone has a boo-boo is cringe-inducing.

Yes, Winston Churchill would have fought the snow on the beaches but then eventually called in the American snow ploughs.

Level of posting here is just getting worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

Christy42 wrote: »
    No link and a probably in that sentence makes it seem like you are incredibly doubtful of this fact.

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/reported-road-casualties-great-britain-annual-report-2015

Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

optogirl wrote: »
    It's OK to admit you were wrong. You don't have to keep pretending that there's no weather event happening just because you were originally dubious.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

murpho999 wrote: »
    Yes, Winston Churchill would have fought the snow on the beaches but then eventually called in the American snow ploughs.

Level of posting here is just getting worse.

The war on snow wouldn't have been won without the Soviets of course. May collective will speed their plough!

Going to try to beat a path out the back to fill the bird feeders , much more satisfying than feeding the trolls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

They faced down the Germans twice while we cowered in their shadow. A couple of inches of snow are going to see them closing down schools and public transport for a few days.

Listening to our politicians telling is to stay indoors in case someone has a boo-boo is cringe-inducing.

Why don't you go for a nice swim to cool down and prove us all wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭misstearheus

So what can one do to optimally ensure the pipes don't freeze and how bad do things have to get for them to actually go?!?

Gosh there's loads of people milling around on that DublinCam. Where are they all goin?!? Just walkin' around in the Shnow is it?!

Hah few of them waving there, I presume at the Cam...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Everybody's talking 'bout the stormy weather
    What's a man to do but work out whether it's true?
    Looking for a man with a focus and a temper
    Who can open up a map and see between one and two?

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    You really are talking a load of sh1te.

You're just arguing for the sake of arguing and not contributing anything worthwhile or backed up with any facts.

Not worth engaging with....good luck.

its ok to admit your argument is empty. just 'cos you panic over a few inches of snow, doesn't mean we all have to.

i was in the local Polish shop earlier, and we all had a great laugh about the Irish reaction to snow. i explained to the girls it was mainly a Dublin thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭optogirl

its ok to admit your argument is empty. just 'cos you panic over a few inches of snow, doesn't mean we all have to.

i was in the local Polish shop earlier, and we all had a great laugh about the Irish reaction to snow. i explained to the girls it was mainly a Dublin thing.

I'm sure the girls are eternally grateful to you for clearing that one up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

i've been banned from said forum for suggesting we've coming across as a nation of hysterical wimps who cant hack a few inches (oops! sorry CMs of snow).
    We are led/advised by a bunch of flaky Dublin-centric wimps, Riaanna Tubidy, Patricia Kenny, Josepine Duffy, Ciara Facnumb, and Lisa Veruka being the biggest woose of em all.
    :o:o:o

There was a lot of snow though. A lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Ya auld smoothie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,330 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Has it settled down weather wise for everyone else? Still being battered here in D3... horizontal bursts of sleet as I look out my window.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

No you weren’t. Polish people respect the weather. The obey red alerts and most importantly have snow tyres or snow chains. We don’t. Hence we can’t really stay open.

The amount of people who have been taking to imaginary polish, Dutch and German tourists over the last while is worrying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I haven't panicked at all.

I wouldn't call 50 cms of snow 'a few inches' by the way.

Gas how you're another one of those amazing posters who speak to Polish people. Did you tell them about the 21 people homeless people who have died in Poland over the last couple of days. It''s hilarious.

Funny thing is my local polish shop has been closed since Thursday.

Also, your anti Dublin bitterness is obvious but most snow has fallen in Co Wicklow where I am located and Co Kildare.

'
    There was a lot of snow though. A lot.

i'm not disagreeing with the presence of snow (i actually had to shovel some earlier you know!!!:eek:), just our girly, hysterical, Dublin-centric, woosie reaction to it.

its beyond embarrassing. we're into Fr. Ted territory now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

http://www.bbc.com/

Says it all.

No mention of the weather until the story about Ireland shutting down - embarrassing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I hope you found your jumper for the trip to the shop because it’s a bit cold out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

How do you make an icepop?

Send your da out in that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Temperatures dropped to a whopping minus 4 in a lot of places. :rolleyes:
    Temperatures plummeted all over Ireland, with Met Éireann reporting that the lowest temperature recorded at one of their weather stations was -7 in Cork Airport, the lowest temperature recorded in Ireland since 2016.

Really smashing records there.

The entire thing could have been summarized by this:

"Snow expected near the end of the week, as usual with freezing temperatures best stay at home Thursday and Friday unless you have a clear route".

It's not even cold. We're getting that "cold Siberian air", but even though it's cold it's a lot drier, so it feels much better. We keep getting screwed in Ireland by high humidity air that's fairly cold, and then people think we're weenies because we're complaining about 5 degrees. Maybe it's the fact that they were actually able to predict the freezing weather a few days in advance is part of why they got so excited over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

So what can one do to optimally ensure the pipes don't freeze and how bad do things have to get for them to actually go?!?

It's not cold enough to freeze mains pipes unless you are very unlucky - as I type it's 0.5 above freezing, the snow is actually helping in this regard - it's a blanket on the ground and the cloud cover also keeps temps from getting too low at night. If you are concerned about internal piping run water every now and again for a 20-30 seconds and use the mains tap as normal. The thaw will be here later tomorrow/Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

There's always a few muppets pretending it's no big deal.

I've never seen snow like this in my life. It's like something out of a disaster movie. Knee deep at a minimum everywhere around me, some cars completely covered.

It's been coming down for about 28 hours now with no let up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Yeah, pure wimps they are - why would anyone be worried about a lickle boo-boo?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/storm-emma/young-man-suffers-life-changing-injuries-after-slipping-on-snow-in-cork-36661728.html

This must be record snow and we are still plagued by trolls saying nothing to see here?

There are some strange people out there.

mdwexford wrote: »

I've never seen snow like this in my life. It's like something out of a disaster movie.

You need to broaden your life experiences.

Travel a bit. Experience life outside the narrow parochialism of your home turf.

It would do you good - toughen you up a bit.

Travel a bit. Experience life outside the narrow parochialism of your home turf.

Ireland has rarely seen snow like this.

Anyway I doubt you’ve ever left your parish. The bitterist Irish people about Ireland never leave, but live their miserable little lives in some village somewhere whining about de Dublin gubbrrmint

• Advertisement

I've never seen snow like this in my life. It's like something out of a disaster movie. Knee deep at a minimum everywhere around me, some cars completely covered.

Here too . We are truly snowed in now and its relentless since yesterday

Temperatures dropped to a whopping minus 4 in a lot of places. :rolleyes:

Really smashing records there.

The entire thing could have been summarized by this:

"Snow expected near the end of the week, as usual with freezing temperatures best stay at home Thursday and Friday unless you have a clear route".

It's not even cold. We're getting that "cold Siberian air", but even though it's cold it's a lot drier, so it feels much better. We keep getting screwed in Ireland by high humidity air that's fairly cold, and then people think we're weenies because we're complaining about 5 degrees. Maybe it's the fact that they were actually able to predict the freezing weather a few days in advance is part of why they got so excited over it.

i said before those D4 weather gurls with the lovely bottoms have allowed their new found celebrity-status get the better of 'em.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Says it all.

No mention of the weather until the story about Ireland shutting down - embarrassing.

If you're not bothered by the snow, why are you so vocal about it? Surely you could be out enjoying it instead of sitting there moaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

'

i'm not disagreeing with the presence of snow (i actually had to shovel some earlier you know!!!:eek:), just our girly, hysterical, Dublin-centric, woosie reaction to it.

Most people appreciated and respected the warnings, which is exactly what they were- warnings, not demands.
    There’ll always be whingers though.
    There was nothing stopping you from getting on with your life and doing as you’d like. By all means, knock yourself out. But for some reason you’d rather be inside on the internet mouthing off instead? Shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭optogirl

not everybody puts store in appearing 'tough'.

optogirl wrote: »
    not everybody puts store in appearing 'tough'.

Evidently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I'll continue to travel to non snow places on holidays thanks.

Come fight me and we see who is tougher.

Status Red now extended to 9am tomorrow in Meath, Dublin, Wicklow, Kildare and some other county (Wexford?)

Status Red extended

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

So when does this begin to thaw?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mod: Wheres Me Jumper? and facehugger99, do not post in this thread again.

Reason: Blatant, albeit poor trolling.

We´ve gone a bit funny here. Himself is sitting on the floor reliving his youth listening to The Kings of Leon. I´m going to whack him over the head with the speaker in a minute. I´m just sitting around the place drinking (coffee!) and reading and sneezing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Ireland has rarely seen snow like this.

Anyway I doubt you’ve ever left your parish. The bitterist Irish people about Ireland never leave, but live their miserable little lives in some village somewhere whining about de Dublin gubbrrmint

We're descending into thejournal.ie levels of commenting at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Is it just this part of the country (NE Dublin) that seems to be getting the worst of the last 48 hours now? Thought it would be starting to ease by now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Collie D wrote: »
    Is it just this part of the country (NE Dublin) that seems to be getting the worst of the last 48 hours now? Thought it would be starting to ease by now

Yeah it's pretty bad in Kilbarrack still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Collie D wrote: »

SW Dublin here and its worse than ever . Far worse here now than 82 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Says it all.

Yeah, about that.......

103iddt.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Charlie19 wrote: »

Mr Plow is a loser and I think he is a boozer
    So you better make that call to the Plow King

Advertisement