Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snowmagedagain

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

High winds and snow/sleet in D8

Down the country my parents are snowed in in Waterford, and my brother is stuck in Dublin because his house in rural Kilkenny is on a road that's impassable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

its ok to admit your argument is empty. just 'cos you panic over a few inches of snow, doesn't mean we all have to.

i was in the local Polish shop earlier, and we all had a great laugh about the Irish reaction to snow. i explained to the girls it was mainly a Dublin thing.

Were they laughing about the 23 people who died due to the weather in Poland this week as well? Hilarious stuff altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,428 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I was out for a three mile walk around the outskirts of Dundalk. Significant thaw on. Zero danger of slipping in the slush or the powdery snow, and cleared footpaths perfectly safe as well.

Fresh air, especially with a good wind chill, is a great tonic. Since calories are units of heat, the body uses more of them in cold conditions. I can never motivate myself to do much indoor exercise.

Probably due to being in March the snow won't hang around very long. I remember 1963 where the big freeze up went on for 6 weeks, from around the end of January. This is not of the same quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Our less risk adverse cousins. Looks grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    SW Dublin here and its worse than ever . Far worse here now than 82 .

It's not worse than 1982.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sold bread and milk to the locals for extorianary prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The UK haven't closed down their country because they have a bit of backbone.
    They faced down the Germans twice while we cowered in their shadow. A couple of inches of snow are going to see them closing down schools and public transport for a few days.

Listening to our politicians telling is to stay indoors in case someone has a boo-boo is cringe-inducing.

Schools closed for a second day in the uk

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2603855/schools-closed-today-closures-snow-shut-uk-weather-latest/

Transport canceled across london and people urged to get home early

https://www.express.co.uk/news/weather/925903/BBC-weather-forecast-snow-UK-travel-disruption-trains-London-Paddington-Wales

But yeah its only us panicking over nothing

Twat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Were they laughing about the 23 people who died due to the weather in Poland this week as well? Hilarious stuff altogether.

It seems a bit unfair to ask him a question if the mod stated to not post here.

Those girls aren't out of line to laugh anymore than someone is out of line to laugh at being deathly afraid of going 30 miles per hour in a car. Clearly those 23 people had other problems or took undue risks and it was those things that were the cause of their deaths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

BillyBobBS wrote: »

The lowest temperatures in Ireland since.... 2016. :rolleyes:

https://www.joe.ie/news/lowest-temperatures-ireland-2-617800

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

topper75 wrote: »
    He didn't bring the weather of course.

But he did issue the over-the-top misplaced warning to shut the country down when it wasn't called for.

When a career politician who so carefully budgets for and manages their PR screws up so openly, you can't begrudge people their little bit of schadenfreude can you?

He is a leader for our times perhaps. An EU proxy, consulter, deferrer. But if the chips ever come down in this country a la real catastrophe, it is not the like of him you want at the wheel.

I dunno i think the weather is another bit of his pr spin, i dont believe the 20 centimetres of snow i shoveled out of my garden this morning really existed, leo planted it in my mind with his subversive communications unit somehow, maybe they put a bug in the filling i got from the dentist last week, yeah that must be it its the only possible explanation

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

True enough. I remember it being colder in 1982 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Russia and China (or was it Malaysia with all the red taxis?) look lethal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Trained meteorologist here and I think the whole shemozzle every year over snow in Ireland is so ****ing stupid, get a grip ffs

Do you still have the same view?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

BillyBobBS wrote: »

It is here . In 82 it was colder but warmed up and thawed after 2 days . Where I am we are now on day 3 indoors and cannot get out . In 82 we could don wellies and walk out . Right now its teeming cold wet snow and very unpleasant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Those comparing it to 82, don't forget that happened in January so you'd expect it to be colder than March 2nd.

That's what makes this an exceptional event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

The lowest temperatures in Ireland since.... 2016. :rolleyes:

https://www.joe.ie/news/lowest-temperatures-ireland-2-617800

I wonder if it’s the snow and not the temperature where there are new records. Could you look into that and report?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

More fckin idiots. I’d be up for having these people charged with reckless endangerment in times like this.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/storm-emma/if-people-were-not-there-she-would-have-died-swimmer-rescued-from-stormy-sea-in-dublin-36662980.html

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

More fckin idiots. I’d be up for having these people charged with reckless endangerment in times like this.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/storm-emma/if-people-were-not-there-she-would-have-died-swimmer-rescued-from-stormy-sea-in-dublin-36662980.html

People shouldn't bother rescuing them. Sure they are only giving 2 fingers to the Government its not that bad.

I wonder if it’s the snow and not the temperature where there are new records. Could you look into that and report?

The Irish Times is reporting it's "some of the heaviest snowfalls since 1982". It'll take some more time before the full snow statistics come in as it's still accumulating in some places.

It'll destroy all the March records but not a chance ones from 1982 or 2010 I'd say.

• Advertisement

I think I know her. Doesn't she live in Beechwood Park?
    Neighbour told her to ignore the stupid gubberment and its curfews and go for a swim

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

They should've left him there, the fooking eejit!

The Irish Times is reporting it's "some of the heaviest snowfalls since 1982". It'll take some more time before the full snow statistics come in as it's still accumulating in some places.

It'll destroy all the March records but not a chance ones from 1982 or 2010 I'd say.

Think it definitely beats 2010, especially for a 24 hour period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

She should be named and shamed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Country would be better off without those types. Let em drown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Named shamed arrested and fined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

murpho999 wrote: »
    Think it definitely beats 2010, especially for a 24 hour period.

Definitely. 2010 was bad but I managed to drive in it. Not a hope of me driving in the current weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just headed out to go down to my local Polish shop so I could join in with all the laughing. Strangely enough it was closed due to the weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Clontarf

:eek:

2rfyk9y.jpg

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Just headed out to go down to my local Polish shop so I could join in with all the laughing. Strangely enough it was closed due to the weather.

Post of the day :D

Maybe we should all go to the Czech Inn near Temple Bar for a pint tonight. No doubt they're all in there laughing at the Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Clontarf

2rfyk9y.jpg

What do we want?
    - No flood defences!

Why do we want it?
    - Because we want to concentrate on the view while driving!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Clontarf

Residents call for a taller flood barrier... in 3... 2... 1...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Barely any snow here in Roscommon, roads completely clear.

We usually get the worst of the weather in the west of Ireland with high winds, rain and snow (when it comes) yet have seemed to completely avoided the last two major weather events (other being the recent hurricane).

What we need is a national newspaper to put a photo of her on the front page with the words "Idiot" printed below/above it. These people are of no use to our society. They are self centered and pathetic.

I wouldn't go as far as saying "i hope she drowns" etc.. but i do hope she get's the worst case of the flu ever and suffers in bed for a while. Gimp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

It's been relentless here in West Dublin all day, actually worse than yesterday. Our main road which I can see from my house is completely impassible now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,324 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

There in hospital...there sides must have split from laughing at us...

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

****ty day in Athlone TBH. Grey clouds all day, pissy half snow/half rain stuff blowing around all day but none settling, and the snow from earlier in the week thawing. Can’t wait for it to bugger off now and spring to start...bah humbug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Its falling as rain but freezjng very quickly after. Say at least an extra two inches in the last three hours. Non stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Its been snowing non stop here all day with plenty of disruption caused i can't wait until it disappears so things can return back to normal.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's all great fun now while it stays fluffy-ish snow but it's going to take days for this stuff to completely clear away and as soon as it turns to slush and ice it's going to be an absolute pain in the bollocks.

The One Show on BBC One at 7 o'clock is doing a one hour special on the weather. They did one on Wednesday also, renaming it the One Snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Imagine if it just stayed like this. With no explanation.

Imagine if it just stayed like this. With no explanation.

We'd have an invasion of penguins.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

3500 cars stranded on one motorway in the UK overnight. Passengers were stranded on a train overnight with zero heating. Countless major routes closed throughout the country. Not to mention the several deaths.
    Counter that with Ireland where most people heeded the warnings leading to far less disruption due to the lack of traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Father of the year material on RTE news just now, planning on leaving his kids outside in an igloo overnight.

awec wrote: »
    It's all great fun now while it stays fluffy-ish snow but it's going to take days for this stuff to completely clear away and as soon as it turns to slush and ice it's going to be an absolute pain in the bollocks.

Wednesday: "It's all grand now when the main storm hasn't hit, just wait until tomorrow at 4pm, by god will you be bunkered down at that stage".
    Thursday evening: "It's all grand now, the storm has been delayed but just wait until it hits proper and then it freezes in the night, bursting pipes and cutting off electricity"
    Thursday night: "It's all grand now, it's really about the snowfall, just wait until all that accumulates".
    Friday: "It's all grand now but it's going to take days for it to clear away, what a pain".

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Wednesday: "It's all grand now when the main storm hasn't hit, just wait until tomorrow at 4pm, by god will you be bunkered down at that stage".
    Thursday evening: "It's all grand now, the storm has been delayed but just wait until it hits proper and then it freezes in the night, bursting pipes and cutting off electricity"
    Thursday night: "It's all grand now, it's really about the snowfall, just wait until all that accumulates".
    Friday: "It's all grand now but it's going to take days for it to clear away, what a pain".
    I think the point sailed by your head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

We'd have an invasion of penguins.

You can joke if you like but it could happen!
    ARIS: A thriving hotspot of about 1.5 million Adelie penguins has been discovered on the remote Danger Islands in the east Antarctic, surprised scientists announced Friday (Mar 2).

Just 160 kilometres away in the west Antarctic, the same species is in decline due to sea ice melt blamed on global warming, they said.

The first complete census revealed that the Danger Islands host more than 750,000 breeding pairs of Adelie penguins, more than the rest of the Antarctic Peninsula region combined, the team reported in the journal Scientific Reports.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/1-5-million-penguins-discovered-remote-antarctic-islands-10007732

• Advertisement
Advertisement