Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snowmagedagain

Comments

2010 was colder. But with regards to the sheer size of the snow drifts, this event was far worse.

2010 seemed a different type of event. It was just constant snow for days on end and the fresh snow lodged on the already previous compounded snow.

This was gale/storm force winds meeting cold air coming from the east and a more sudden clinical strike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

According to an interview today with Paul Kehoe only a few hundred of the armed forces are helping with storm Emma and the blizzards affecting the east coast. While these members are probably doing a good job (though I personally haven't seen any in Wicklow yet) and while some of the armed forces are not suited to such tasks (Air force, etc.) and others are serving abroad (for instance helping the human traffickers in the Med), it still seems ridiculous that the vast majority aren't being used, and that it's falling to civilian emergency services almost exclusively.

I thought the whole point of maintaining armed forces, year in, year out, was to be able to aid in national emergencies, etc. If it's all going to get put on civilian services anyway, wouldn't it be better to just relocate the funding to them on a permanent basis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Many were on social media complaining how they weren't getting any extra pay to help out in emergencies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The army doesn't have enough troops to preform their own duties never mind covering extra duties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

And the Irish live up their stereotype of being lazy gits, who with the slightest excuse, just turn over in the bed in the morning and couldnt be arsed making any effort to do a bit of work.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Have we had a national emergancy declared though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

According to an interview today with Paul Kehoe only a few hundred of the armed forces are helping with storm Emma and the blizzards affecting the east coast. While these members are probably doing a good job (though I personally haven't seen any in Wicklow yet) and while some of the armed forces are not suited to such tasks (Air force, etc.) and others are serving abroad (for instance helping the human traffickers in the Med), it still seems ridiculous that the vast majority aren't being used, and that it's falling to civilian emergency services almost exclusively.

I thought the whole point of maintaining armed forces, year in, year out, was to be able to aid in national emergencies, etc. If it's all going to get put on civilian services anyway, wouldn't it be better to just relocate the funding to them on a permanent basis?

Yeah, because turning out the Army and leaving things like armouries unguarded is a good idea......

.......and sure given the brilliant wages they're on shouldn't they all be working 24 hours a day, every day.

In short, whatever the size of the DF there's only about one third available to cover all contingencies. People are training, staffing out other functions etc and some are even allowed be off.

And the Irish live up their stereotype of being lazy gits, who with the slightest excuse, just turn over in the bed in the morning and couldnt be arsed making any effort to do a bit of work.

Bit harsh. All over Ireland there is emergency staff, esb staff, and volunteers out there at the moment doing their utmost to help people as im sure there is right across the UK also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You would have to wonder how Neanderthals survived without anything.

Sadly modern civilisation frowns on those who walk around heavily armed with projectile weapons, slaughtering whatever animals you happen to come across...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

gmisk wrote: »
    Ffs what a bunch of tossers! All for a slab of crap beer!

As someone more eagle-eyed than myself spotted, one of the looters was making off with a slab of non-alcoholic beer. :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Bit harsh. All over Ireland there is emergency staff, esb staff, and volunteers out there at the moment doing their utmost to help people as im sure there is right across the UK also.

You're on here long enough to know that nobody hates the Irish more than Irish Boards users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Ha ha you said Ireland has an airforce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Is it possible that only 5 percent of them are useful or needed at the moment?

I can't imagine there's an awful lot they can do besides transport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Wait until Monday morning when it'll be too dangerous to drive on the roads because of the melting snow on the sides of the road.
    As someone more eagle-eyed than myself spotted, one of the looters was making off with a slab of non-alcoholic beer. :D:D

Probably an Irish football fan. Well know for falling for that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I remember it being colder, much colder, in 2010 when -10 appeared on my car screen. The worst here has been -3 on my phone at 4am this morning. Anyway, I said that about 2010 a few days ago and a couple of drama queens essentially said the worst hadn't happened so shut up ya thick. Worst apparently has happened now and it never got as cold as 2010. :P

Literally nobody was claiming this was going to be an extreme cold event. It being March and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

They didn't survive, they're extinct... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,427 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

No, there's some on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Got too warm for 'em, which suited us better...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Collie D wrote: »
    You're on here long enough to know that nobody hates the Irish more than Irish Boards users

My bad Collie. Your 100% correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Yeast infection anyone?

It looks stale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I remember it being colder, much colder, in 2010 when -10 appeared on my car screen. The worst here has been -3 on my phone at 4am this morning. Anyway, I said that about 2010 a few days ago and a couple of drama queens essentially said the worst hadn't happened so shut up ya thick. Worst apparently has happened now and it never got as cold as 2010. :P

This has never been advertised as being similar to the 2010 cold spell. They're very different and this one has been worse in one way - the drifting is on a whole new level. Oh and it's much windier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'm stuck in work for two days solid in a prison. Missus begged me not to go in yesterday but I live relatively close to the jail, especially in comparison to other people that work there. Some colleagues have been here since Tuesday night! I went in because I have no kids and some of those rostered to work do and probably wouldn't risk the journey, plus my trip is a lot shorter than a lot of theirs.

State of play in the prison is affected too. Most prisoners are being kept back in their cells all day (i.e. no workshops, school, exercise yards and all visits are cancelled) and have only been allowed out in small groups to facilitate showers and phonecalls. Reason for this is staff can't make it to work and we'd have been outnumbered massively. There's definitely cabin fever setting in, on both sides.

• Advertisement

The UK haven't closed down their country because they have a bit of backbone.
    They faced down the Germans twice while we cowered in their shadow. A couple of inches of snow are going to see them closing down schools and public transport for a few days.

Listening to our politicians telling is to stay indoors in case someone has a boo-boo is cringe-inducing.

I live in Co. Durham in the north-east of England. Every school and college is shut since yesterday, lots of events and meetings cancelled.

Lots of roads are closed, buses and trains cancelled, flights cancelled, loads of delays everywhere, people panic-buying bread etc, etc.

And it's not even half as bad as Ireland here - Storm Emma didn't hit this part of England.

One thing about living in England, you soon realise that 'keep calm and carry on' is just a slogan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

_Dara_ wrote: »
    This has never been advertised as being similar to the 2010 cold spell. They're very different and this one has been worse in one way - the drifting is on a whole new level.

Its much more like 82 . Same drifting etc . But it was two days and then a clear dry spell and a thaw . This is longer and the icy wind added in . Stir crazy here and wondering when its bedtime !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭thomasj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod- All snow threads merged in to one super thread. Please try keep all snow stuff here. 9 threads about it in total.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Much of the time they didn't. Lost at least half their kids in childhood, suffered regular famines and only a precious few lived into their 40's and at their peak there were maybe 40,000 of them in the world. Oh and they're extinct. :D

You could give it a go. Learn how to make every single thing you need to survive, clothes, tools, fire, shelter. Then learn how to hunt and gather food in weather like this and you'll need a few mates with you cos even a cow is a big bugger to tackle on your own with little more than a pointy stick(and you have to butcher it and carry the food back to shelter and fire). Even someone like Bear Grylls would be down to drinking his own piss within the hour. And then freezing into a human ice pop. :D

Our own ancestors, those first people in Europe lived in ice free corridors in Europe, where it was still a lot colder than today and days like this would last months in winter. And on top of all that list above, they made better stuff, tailored clothing, invented trade and for the craic like also made art and culture and music. It seems you couldn't leave one of those bods alone with anything before they'd be compelled to decorate it up. Pimp my stone age. A truly incredible bunch of folks we can call our ancestors.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

http://www.bbc.com/

Says it all.

No mention of the weather until the story about Ireland shutting down - embarrassing.

Strange that. I'm looking at bbc.co.uk's homepage, and there's an entire section devoted to 'Severe Weather' stories.

These are the ones featured in that section now:
    UK snow: M62 drivers stranded 'indefinitely'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-43254836
    Storm Emma: Everyday heroes in and out of uniform
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43242286

Below that, in the News Headlines section, the top two stories are:
    Snow, ice and driving winds causing severe disruption

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43251824
    Latest updates as blizzards and snow hit UK. Live now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-43202018

God bless de interwebs, facilitating Irish people with inferiority complexes for over 20 years! :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

So, what's the story with the Lidl looting? IS it looting? If so, did people break the door down? Details are scant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Charlie19 wrote: »

Vote for repeal and make it retrospective.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Wibbs wrote: »
    Much of the time they didn't. Lost at least half their kids in childhood, suffered regular famines and only a precious few lived into their 40's and at their peak there were maybe 40,000 of them in the world. Oh and they're extinct. :D

You could give it a go. Learn how to make every single thing you need to survive, clothes, tools, fire, shelter. Then learn how to hunt and gather food in weather like this and you'll need a few mates with you cos even a cow is a big bugger to tackle on your own with little more than a pointy stick(and you have to butcher it and carry the food back to shelter and fire). Even someone like Bear Grylls would be down to drinking his own piss within the hour. And then freezing into a human ice pop. :D

Our own ancestors, those first people in Europe lived in ice free corridors in Europe, where it was still a lot colder than today and days like this would last months in winter. And on top of all that list above, they made better stuff, tailored clothing, invented trade and for the craic like also made art and culture and music. It seems you couldn't leave one of those bods alone with anything before they'd be compelled to decorate it up. Pimp my stone age. A truly incredible bunch of folks we can call our ancestors.

Yep you proved my point better than I ever could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

_Dara_ wrote: »
    So, what's the story with the Lidl looting? IS it looting? If so, did people break the door down? Details are scant.

You'd imagine it'd be easier to get into Fort Knox than a closed Lidl or Aldi alright.

Yep you proved my point better than I ever could.

The Neanderthals are extinct. Human beings have gone from strength to strength. When I was born there were about 3.5 billion human beings alive. Nowadays, there are over 7 billion human beings alive. Neanderthals didn't have what it takes to survive, we do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Absolutely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

The Defence Forces has appropriate personnel (Drivers, Engineers etc) on standby.

The DF do not just deploy in a national emergency, they have to be requested to assist the primary responders.

The number of troops that deploy to assist is a reflection of those organisations who have requested military assistance.

They have cleared roads, transported carers, medical priority patients, medical staff among other tasks.

Putting it simply, if the primary responders dont ask, they dont get. The DF has no authority to self deploy unless its against an armed threat.

Some info in the Twatter link.

https://mobile.twitter.com/defenceforces?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Omackeral wrote: »
    I'm stuck in work for two days solid in a prison. Missus begged me not to go in yesterday but I live relatively close to the jail, especially in comparison to other people that work there. Some colleagues have been here since Tuesday night! I went in because I have no kids and some of those rostered to work do and probably wouldn't risk the journey, plus my trip is a lot shorter than a lot of theirs.

State of play in the prison is affected too. Most prisoners are being kept back in their cells all day (i.e. no workshops, school, exercise yards and all visits are cancelled) and have only been allowed out in small groups to facilitate showers and phonecalls. Reason for this is staff can't make it to work and we'd have been outnumbered massively. There's definitely cabin fever setting in, on both sides.

Sure wouldn't ye let the prisoners out for a walk around town or something? I'm sure most of them would come back after an hour or so...:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Any word on how many foreigners have been hospitalised from injuries sustained from laughing at us? I heard one poor lad laughed his hole off. Nasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭banie01

According to an interview today with Paul Kehoe only a few hundred of the armed forces are helping with storm Emma and the blizzards affecting the east coast.

This is headline grabbing sensationalist BS.
    I am not a member of the DF, but I do have a good grasp of manpower levels, staff allocations, rostering and the DFs other duties.

The current DF total staff is @9150.
    Of that total @7300 are in thw army, of that total @700 are deployed overseas leaving 6600 available for duties.

Given the roster pattern, that leaves @2200 personnel available for duty at any one time.
    A large number of those available will not actually be available for deployment as that 2200 have to staff 16 bases(Not counting HaulBowline or Baldonnel) be it Barracks duty, guard duty, G2, C4I, Liason and Logistics duties a significant portion of the manpower on hand is not available for deployment.

Despite this, the DF have had 400 personnel and 155 vehicles on duty and available to the civil powers.
    That accounts for quite a larger proportion of the actually available manpower than the 5% outlined.
    The numbers actually mase available are a credit to the planning capabilities of our hugely under resourced DF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

You'd have to force the mother to have a termination though. Not the kind of people that would opt for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I thought soldiers were allowed shoot looters on sight......might be time to send in the Army

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

_Dara_ wrote:

I was in that Lidl only once after a football match at the stadium. In the ten minutes I was there was a kerfuffle where someone went out last the tills without paying and the guards were called.

They actually arrived very quickly as I was leaving, but they sauntered in knowing there was nothing they could do execept log a report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

I see the poor folk of South Dublin have had to resort to stealing the essentials in order to get through the night.

https://mobile.twitter.com/46Flynn/status/969640903060131845/video/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

That particular store told staff to turn in yesterday or face disciplinary actions so I'm finding it hard to have sympathy. Although bringing children along to a loot takes a special kind of moron

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Jawgap wrote: »
    I thought soldiers were allowed shoot looters on sight......might be time to send in the Army

Gladly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Another centra in Jobstown is currently getting looted after **** heads cut off part of the shutters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Did wonder if the staff weren't particularly arsed. If it's true I hope someone slips over and sues the **** out of them.

Advertisement