Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snowmagedagain

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Everyman for himself, ah phallocentric society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

I got the road out of it there for saying we'll soon be as bad as the yanks with doomsday preppers in woodies

I'd say going by the actions of some we are worse. Iv'e never heard such mass hype over a bit of snow in all my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    I'd say going by the actions of some we are worse. Iv'e never heard such mass hype over a bit of snow in all my life.

it's not just a "bit of snow" though, it's something that will probably cause mass disruptions for a few days for many, especially those who commute to work.

it's also not the bleedin' end of the world, either, apparently in ireland it's either "OH GOD, SNOW, WE'RE F*CKED!" or "ah sure t'is only a wee bitta snow you pansies". We seem to really lack this thing called "middle ground".

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭AustinLostin

The worst part of all this is the cool cats who keep saying 'its just a bit of snow whats the panic - it's madness'. I mean I agree but I'm not going to get hysterical over the OAPs buying three loaves of Brennan's to get themselves through to Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Too many snowflakes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

seamus wrote: »
    And so they should. It's a place for informed scientific analysis and not armchair commentators saying, "Ah shure be grand, these things always fizzle out".

If you want to throw out uninformed opinions about what will happen, that's what After Hours is for.

Exactly it's the same as the Atheism and Agnostism threads and the Christianity forum.

Black and white for there, anything goes elsewhere...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The worst part of all this is the cool cats who keep saying 'its just a bit of snow whats the panic - it's madness'. I mean I agree but I'm not going to get hysterical over the OAPs buying three loaves of Brennan's to get themselves through to Friday.

Thanks .We are OAP and got a few sliced pans and soups yesterday and more milk then usual .Neither of us want to risk slipping or falling .I see no issue with people trying to be careful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

minikin wrote: »
    One week rental... :)

2lwstpv.jpg

Louth féckers are always trying to rip people off :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Here, near the Cork coast it just started snowing in our garden... and it NEVER snows in our garden!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

redcup342 wrote: »
    Louth féckers are always trying to rip people off :pac:

It’s a pyoor bahgahn!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Feck it.

I've grub in the presses/Fridge/Freezer.
    I've drink in the presses/fridge and some in the garage.
    I've a wood pile in the yard and a pot bellied stove.
    We have all wellies and warm clothes.

If we get snow, (depending how severe) I'll take myself off the road for a few days, I've a few kids here who will only love their mam and dad to be home with them, we will get out there and start on a few snowmen, snowballs and bit of sledging.

Bring it on.

Just got stopped by security from entering a shop to get more supplies for the storm cellar, stupid, apparently you can’t bring crossbows into SuperValu anymore... political correctness gone mad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Thanks .We are OAP and got a few sliced pans and soups yesterday and more milk then usual .Neither of us want to risk slipping or falling .I see no issue with people trying to be careful

And you are right to do so - it means that if something does fall, you don't need to risk looking for bread and milk.
    The point about panicking is that able bodied/healthy/confident people are also doing it for no really good reason.
    The various weather warnings are a good idea, it's the reaction(overreaction??) that causes the problem.
    Even 3-4 feet of snow is not the end of the world. It just depends on how long it hangs around that will measure how unpleasant/inconvenient/dangerous it gets.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Jackie DeNardo is apparently reporting from Liffey Valley

bNoo3cv.gif

7C5wIxZ.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

preparing for another classic from met eireann. sending the country into panic yet again.
    lemons couldn't predict Christmas.

watch this turn out to be nothing but a bit of frost.

You do realise that three people died on the day of Hurricane Ophelia?

Can you imagine how bad it would have been if there had been no warnings.

Met Eireann got it right then and will be right with this event.

Just because you didn't think it was much of a storm does not mean it did not have a major impact in other areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,476 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

love the tweet from met eireann
    443055.PNG

so no colder than any other year

meh all season tyres on the car as i live up a hill in donegal, snows great fun to drive on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Those min temp figures put it all in context for me.

I don't fear the weather.

I fear what we have become.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

This is all so funny. Such a fuss over a potential bit of snow and low temperatures for 24 hrs. I expect the doomsday preppers in the weather forum have been working flat out for weeks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

topper75 wrote: »

Snowflakes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,476 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

topper75 wrote: »

yep in the first blast of winter 09/10 I managed to get some secondhand winter tyres and was driving round no bother out at 6:30 to clear a 100 foot long driveway to the road.
    they shipped all the salt out of Donegal to Dublin at that point so there was inches of packed snow on the main roads perfect driving conditions on winter tyres. tempted to get the serious set of full snow tyres put on the right rims for the new car !

This is MY TIME!!!!!!

I did get a bit carried away earlier and bought two massive cartons of milk instead of one regular sized and four beers instead of two. Oh and porridge. It must be the first time in about five years I bought porridge. And fleece lined tights. Bought a pair of those too.
    Oh the excitement! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭optogirl

MadYaker wrote: »
    This is all so funny. Such a fuss over a potential bit of snow and low temperatures for 24 hrs. I expect the doomsday preppers in the weather forum have been working flat out for weeks!

ah lads - are you not able to read/listen to a weather forecast? If you're on the East, a lot of snow, blizzard conditions & a storm are coming. It would be absolutely remiss of the govt & met Eireann not to make sure we are all aware of that and prepared for the worst.

If we only had guns we could fight back against the snow.

I went to my local Centra last night to get milk. The shelves were so empty I thought they must be in the middle of redesigning the layout.

The poor cows out this way are gagging at the smell of boumatic, cute hoor farmers are milkin the tits off them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Blazing sun here in Dublin city centre...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

:D:D:D That did make me laugh out loud in the office... Buts its ok, theres no one else here.
    They are all gone to queue up for rations of tinned food and powdered milk....
    All the tennis racquets are sold out too !!!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Ferm001

Hear government going to impose PSC card for anyone wanting to stockpile bread and milk.
    Leo to issue a certificate to everyone who survives this bi annual once in a hundred year event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

We should take advantage of the coming weather to temporarily solve the shortage of housing in Ireland:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05E4tP3DgPI

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

minikin wrote: »
    The poor cows out this way are gagging at the smell of boumatic, cute hoor farmers are milkin the tits off them.

Poor old cows must be Friesian today. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

love the tweet from met eireann
    443055.PNG

so no colder than any other year

This is February. Those minima are for whole calendar years.

9sc5zb.jpg

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

pfpAZSc.jpg

Beautiful warm sunshine here in Dublin 16. Might get the shorts out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Gatling wrote: »
    It's the same at every shop,

Panic over a bit of snow ,
    Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    doylefe wrote: »
    Especially since all the roads in a city will be gritted / cleared, and everyone in Dublin lives within walking distance of a shop and / or restaurant anyway.

The whole episode is pathetic.
    preparing for another classic from met eireann. sending the country into panic yet again.
    lemons couldn't predict Christmas.

watch this turn out to be nothing but a bit of frost.
    Sat in the car in 2010 and the screen said: - 10
    Sat in the car this morning and the screen said: 2

The 'millennium bug' would be impressed at this hype.
    Quoting for posterity.

I'll see yis on Thursday lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Supermarket manipulation there's a no snow or is there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Beethoven9th

Sun is beating down here in Terenure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

seamus wrote: »
    Quoting for posterity.

I'll see yis on Thursday lads.

You won't be seeing anybody on Thursday seamus. Don't you understand the concept of snowmageddon?

Local news at 1.00 today...

A representative from an Animal shelter (? didn't get the name)
    "If you are bringing your pets for walks in the snow , make sure they are on a lead, because you don't know how deep the snow could be " !!???? WTF !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

The Beastie has arrived here in the Offaly bog.
    Mini-hailstones driven by strong East wind, black sky.
    Wave after wave of Snow Zombies......(oops, sorry, that's for tonight)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

This has all been worth it for the woman in work protesting to everyone that its a bit of a "damp squid".....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

BillyBobBS wrote:
    Beautiful warm sunshine here in Dublin 16. Might get the shorts out.

I'm going to look for a refund. Worst disaster movie ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I'm going to look for a refund. Worst disaster movie ever.
    Have you seen Geostorm?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

greenspurs wrote: »

"If you are bringing your pets for walks in the snow , make sure they are on a lead, because you don't know how deep the snow could be " !!???? WTF !!!!

I think they are supposed to say that they can get confused in snow so you keep em on a lead to help guide them.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I think they are supposed to say that they can get confused in snow so you keep em on a lead to help guide them.

He made a balls of it then .... !!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Several road incidents due to poor driving conditions over in Engerland, early this morning:

x3 fatalities on A15 Lincolnshire at 0615 after police warn of hazardous driving conditions.
    Another died after a collision in Cambridgeshire amid heavy snow.
    Man suffered "possibly life-threatening" injuries after a van crashed into a tractor carrying a livestock trailer on the A30 Devon.
    x17 vehicles were involved in a crash in Essex.

Worth noting their 'Beast from the East' mightn't even be as bad,
    as our 'Storm from the South' (due later on Thurs night and into Friday).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Jaysus, nearly had the virtual head bitten off me over on the weather forum for suggesting that weather nerds were making a bit of a big deal about this. You’d think we were about to enter another ice age by the way some of them are going on, and not facing into a few days of slushy snow and cold temperatures. There’ll be loads of people working through all this, while taking fairly reasonable precautions. Stocking up on gas cannisters, torches, and candles seems a bit much. It’s not a war time raid on London, or the Day After Tomorrow. Think some folk are getting into Ray Myers or Bear Grylls fantasies. No bread in Lidl – mother of God.

Anyways, I intend to work all week, and I’ve told my employees that they should expect to do the same, until they hear otherwise. A few inches of snow ain’t going to be changing that. I might reassess if I wake up and find out that my Ford Transit is underneath 4 foot of snow.

Pure unnecessary excitement and panic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Jaysus, nearly had the virtual head bitten off me over on the weather forum for suggesting that weather nerds were making a bit of a big deal about this. You’d think we were about to enter another ice age by the way some of them are going on, and not facing into a few days of slushy snow and cold temperatures. There’ll be loads of people working through all this, while taking fairly reasonable precautions. Stocking up on gas cannisters, torches, and candles seems a bit much. It’s not a war time raid on London, or the Day After Tomorrow. Think some folk are getting into Ray Myers or Bear Grylls fantasies. No bread in Lidl – mother of God.

Anyways, I intend to work all week, and I’ve told my employees that they should expect to do the same, until they hear otherwise. A few inches of snow ain’t going to be changing that. I might reassess if I wake up and find out that my Ford Transit is underneath 4 foot of snow.

Pure unnecessary excitement and panic.

Aren't you just brilliant?

I'm not getting into my car until the RSA and AA have told me how to drive in snowy conditions......

They have saved my life soooo many times..... How to drive in wet weather, in windy weather, how to overtake horses, and the best one......

How to drive when there is a low sun ....... What would we do without them !

Cmon Conor Faughnan , I'm waiting !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

greenspurs wrote: »

And make sure it's a long lead, otherwise the owner might disappear as well. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement