Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snowmagedagain

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭nostro

Conspectus wrote: »
    I just went out for a smoke and its strangely mild.

The cigarette?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

It hasn’t stopped snowing in D1 all day. Cars on my street that parked up during the day and we’re clear of snow now have 8-10cm on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I hope they got some of the weekly special buys

Lidl do nice diy gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

wil wrote: »
    Adverts? Who's selling? Snow to car ratio must surely be a bit better today
    Spent a great day digging and building and it was way warmer than 2010. Slightly less snow this time. Wind wasn't anything as bad as predicted. Anyone saying records were broken must have been born 7 years ago.
    1982 was fairly dramatic with genuine 20 foot drifts and proper blizzard. Unfortunately accompanied with some deaths.
    By all accounts records were set in 47 and 62. Nothing like them been seen since.
    Anyone used to a bit of mountaineering would have experienced today's conditions often enough.
    Great fun for kids and no major concern for healthy adults with no particular worries.
    A different story for old, sick, carers, emergency services and livestock farmers.

So, not that many people?

A few people have said the drifts they've experienced are worse than '82, having living through both.

Grrrrr! I wish RTÉ management, for the first time ever, could send a big, final, definitive memo to all its journalists:

'It's 2018. We use the metric system now. Every single road sign in this European state is in metric only since 2005, just as every measurement in Met Éireann has been in metric since the same year. That's 13 years ago. We are the state media organisation. We are now only going to use metric measurements so please stop this backward regressive nonsense about feet, inches, yards and miles in your reports. Thank you.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

_Dara_ wrote: »
    So, not that many people?

A few people have said the drifts they've experienced are worse than '82, having living through both.
    Dear god would you ever let it go. Now that you got snow you can justifiably use the word plenty.
    Reporters describing blizzard conditions and deep snow when it clearly has not arrived anywhere near them and people describing 4cm of snow as plenty are making a joke of those who are really dealing with serious conditions and situations. It helps no one and in fact causes more trouble by either redirecting services to the wrong areas or lead people to believe everyone is exaggerating. People in badly hit areas yesterday were justifiably frustrated they were getting no attention while others were crying wolf.
    Your average walker would have encountered weather conditions in that photo very regularly. Wouldn't need to approach a mountain.
    A few people did not experience the 20 foot drifts in 82,. Unfortunately however there were fatalities, discovered after the thaw.
    The weather is not a competition but people memories are very short. Leave the records to the met office and other reliable professionals not social media. My last response on this.

wil wrote: »
    Dear god would you ever let it go. Now that you got snow you can justifiably use the word plenty.
    Reporters describing blizzard conditions and deep snow when it clearly has not arrived anywhere near them and people describing 4cm of snow as plenty are making a joke of those who are really dealing with serious conditions and situations. It helps no one and in fact causes more trouble by either redirecting services to the wrong areas or lead people to believe everyone is exaggerating. People in badly hit areas yesterday were justifiably frustrated they were getting no attention while others were crying wolf.
    Your average walker would have encountered weather conditions in that photo very regularly. Wouldn't need to approach a mountain.
    A few people did not experience the 20 foot drifts in 82,. Unfortunately however there were fatalities, discovered after the thaw.
    The weather is not a competition but people memories are very short. Leave the records to the met office and other reliable professionals not social media. My last response on this.

No need to get narky when someone pulls you up on something inaccurate that you’ve posted. Welcome to discussion boards.

Oh and I would suggest taking your own advice and heeding what the Met Office is saying. They deemed this a dangerous spell of weather. You know, the experts you mentioned? Those dudes? The fact that you tried to downplay it by saying anyone with mountaineering experience would be fine - I can’t believe that. :D That just proves that it was an extreme event.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

VinLieger wrote:
    100s apparently breaking into a school in fortunestown, call the army and shoot them

That's not true.

That poor guy in Cork, such a dreadful accident, I cant stop thinking about it all day.

What happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

pilly wrote: »
    What happened?

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0302/944543-cork-mayfield/

A 19-year-old man is in a critical condition in hospital after he fell while taking pictures of the snowfalls in Cork yesterday afternoon.
    The incident happened at around 3.30pm when the man was out walking with his father in Mayfield.
    He was on a low wall that surrounds playing fields close to the Lotabeg Estate, when he slipped and fell.
    He suffered what is being described as a serious, life-changing neck injury.
    The man was attended to at the scene by ambulance paramedics and by personnel from Cork City Fire Service, before he was taken to Cork University Hospital.
    It is understood his condition there this morning is critical.
    The man’s father was also taken to hospital after he collapsed at the scene. He is expected to make a full recovery.
    Both men are from the area.

• Advertisement

Charlie19 wrote:
    A 19-year-old man is in a critical condition in hospital after he fell while taking pictures of the snowfalls in Cork yesterday afternoon. The incident happened at around 3.30pm when the man was out walking with his father in Mayfield. He was on a low wall that surrounds playing fields close to the Lotabeg Estate, when he slipped and fell. He suffered what is being described as a serious, life-changing neck injury. The man was attended to at the scene by ambulance paramedics and by personnel from Cork City Fire Service, before he was taken to Cork University Hospital. It is understood his condition there this morning is critical. The man’s father was also taken to hospital after he collapsed at the scene. He is expected to make a full recovery. Both men are from the area.

Jesus thats tragic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Jesus thats tragic.

Yup... Very unfortunate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

_Dara_ wrote: »
    ...A few people have said the drifts they've experienced are worse than '82, having living through both.

http://www.rte.ie/archives/2017/0109/843625-freezing-weather-continues/
    http://www.rte.ie/archives/2017/0109/843556-snow-causes-major-disruptions/
    http://www.rte.ie/archives/2017/0109/843699-communities-snowed-in/
    http://www.thejournal.ie/big-snow-1982-3873162-Feb2018/

Weather is entirely random. One place might have hardly any snow another 10ft drifts. For me its 82 was worse. For someone else Emma was worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Jesus thats tragic.

Yes it certainly is, 'life changing neck injury' would suggest paralysis from the neck down, which is an awful thing for anyone to have to face. Nightmare stuff really. Just a stupid freak accident that looks like it's going to have awful consequences.

beauf wrote: »

I totally agree and never said otherwise. I said this event was worse than '82 for some people.

I was disputing wil on a couple of points.

1) He said that "For many people this is really turning in to yet another non event." At the point he made that post, it had very much turned into an event for many people. Just because it hadn't affected him doesn't mean it was a non-event. It just didn't hit every corner of Ireland and you can't predict exactly where will be hit

2) He said "Yeah you're right, they've been selling this so hard for the last week as the biggest nationwide snow event (mid whatever season) in living memory*, people are convincing themselves 2 cm is deep." Meteorologists hadn't said this would be the worst snow event in living memory and neither had the media. The press had been ramping it up because, duh, they're the media but nobody had said it would be on a par with 2010. Only people here on boards.ie were and are making that comparison.

Also, wil, why did you pull me up on using the term 'advertised' ("Adverts? Who's selling?") when YOU YOURSELF said in a post: "Yeah you're right, they've been selling this so hard for the last week as the biggest nationwide snow event (mid whatever season) in living memory*, people are convincing themselves 2 cm is deep." Do you think they were selling this event or don't you? Which is it?

Charlie19 wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0302/944543-cork-mayfield/

A 19-year-old man is in a critical condition in hospital after he fell while taking pictures of the snowfalls in Cork yesterday afternoon.
    The incident happened at around 3.30pm when the man was out walking with his father in Mayfield.
    He was on a low wall that surrounds playing fields close to the Lotabeg Estate, when he slipped and fell.
    He suffered what is being described as a serious, life-changing neck injury.
    The man was attended to at the scene by ambulance paramedics and by personnel from Cork City Fire Service, before he was taken to Cork University Hospital.
    It is understood his condition there this morning is critical.
    The man’s father was also taken to hospital after he collapsed at the scene. He is expected to make a full recovery.
    Both men are from the area.

Oh god, I hope he's not paralysed. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

How much bread do you have to have a problem. I'm I'm 20 slices of toast a days holiday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Seriously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Is costa opened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Grrrrr! I wish RTÉ management, for the first time ever, could send a big, final, definitive memo to all its journalists:

'It's 2018. We use the metric system now. Every single road sign in this European state is in metric only since 2005, just as every measurement in Met Éireann has been in metric since the same year. That's 13 years ago. We are the state media organisation. We are now only going to use metric measurements so please stop this backward regressive nonsense about feet, inches, yards and miles in your reports. Thank you.'

I went to school in the 1980s. We were all taught metric. I have no idea how many yards are in a mile, I don't know what an ounce is, apart from miles and pint (obvs) I don't know anything about the imperial system.
    I get especially annoyed about the maternity hospitals. The weighing scales are all metric, but they do a mental conversion and tell you the weight of your child in pounds and ounces. They may as well be giving it to me in terms of African swallows.

The snow was late arriving here, but there's loads of it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Conditions far worse now than they were on Wednesday but the Warning has been dropped to Orange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Jaffa n’idea how long this warning will last for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It's amazing how quickly the mask of sanity slips at times like this
    Simpsons_08_14_P4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

So red warning expired at 9am. Hasn't snowed all morning here in NE Dublin but sounds very windy and it's cold.

Dublin Bus due to resume service on main routes from midday with updates from around 10am...no Nitelinks running.

Any other travel or weather updates from around the country?

• Advertisement

no wonder kids are so confused about measurements in Maths.

RTE still stuck in the 1960s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Waterford - no more snow and its starting to fall off walls, branches etc so I think we're just into the beginnings of a thaw.

Just listening to the biz programme on RTE radio, huge numbers of small businesses clearly taking a big hit which they'll never recover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Jawgap wrote: »
    Yeah, because turning out the Army and leaving things like armouries unguarded is a good idea......

95% of the army is needed to guard the armouries?

If, god forbid, we were invaded by Sea Land, would we only be able to commit 5% of our armed forces? What is the point of armed forces if they can't be used in an ermengy and must be used to guard the armouries of weapons that they'll never use?
    Jawgap wrote: »
    .......and sure given the brilliant wages they're on shouldn't they all be working 24 hours a day, every day.

How about getting rid of the army altogether? Their wages are crap, no doubt, but we could have more police, ambulance drivers, search and rescue teams, etc. with those resources. In particular we don't have much use for APCs and other expensive military equipment. It's not as if we would be able to use them after all, if the armouries need protecting.

That's all well and good - but has anyone actually seen a costa open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

Waterford - no more snow and its starting to fall off walls, branches etc so I think we're just into the beginnings of a thaw.

Might be the same for me in Dublin, as a result of the standard rain I might be getting later today :(.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Just listening to the biz programme on RTE radio, huge numbers of small businesses clearly taking a big hit which they'll never recover.
    It's 1% of the year and all their competitors are taking the same hit.

Next week will be catchup. Businesses with people who could work remotely won't be as badly hit.

ISME are like the farmers. There's always a problem.

That's all well and good - but has anyone actually seen a costa open?

This one looks like it’s open for business...

2dbnsyr.jpg

Absolute rubbish. Life is about more than spending money on unnecessary consumer products. All their competitors will also have been closed so it just means that people will have more money to spend when people venture out and start buying things again.
    In other countries many businesses are not allowed to sell on Sundays to let people do non materialistic things.
    Here families spend their Sundays at shopping malls and we have 6:00am sales on Stephens day.
    Maybe consider that playing in the snow is a more worthwhile activity than buying even more stuff in shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Been snowing in d15 all morning.

It seems to thawing though just a tiny bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

nostro wrote: »
    Absolute rubbish. Life is about more than spending money on unnecessary consumer products. All their competitors will also have been closed so it just means that people will have more money to spend when people venture out and start buying things again.
    In other countries many businesses are not allowed to sell on Sundays to let people do non materialistic things.
    Here families spend their Sundays at shopping malls and we have 6:00am sales on Stephens day.
    Maybe consider that playing in the snow is a more worthwhile activity than buying even more stuff in shops.

Not so sure about that unfortunately Nostro, many small businesses run on tight margins. They are less resilient than larger competitors because the banks can be brutal in advancing credit facilities. They would also have less redundancy in terms of systems and staff numbers... so a few days lost trading or missing staff can ruin a month for them... a bad month can ruin a year... look at what happened to Lidl, in the grand scheme of things they'll bounce back... if that happened to a small retail outlet - game over.

On that note I see Lidl have taken the gloves off. They're zeppelining over new items for Tuesday's offers:
    Stun guns, man traps, mace, baseball bats and sterilisation kits.
    An attack on one outlet is an attack on the entire reich!!!

(note to mods: this thread topic is snow/panic buying/items for sale in lidl)

minikin wrote: »
    On that note I see Lidl have taken the gloves off. They're zeppelining over new items for Tuesday's offers:
    Stun guns, man traps, mace, baseball bats and sterilisation kits.
    An attack on one outlet is an attack on the entire reich!!!
    [/COLOR]

Now that makes absolutely no sense. So Lidl will be having Special Offers on the weapons that can then be used to attack Lidl stores.
    Surely they should instead provide those products to staff.

nostro wrote: »
    Now that makes absolutely no sense. So Lidl will be selling people the tools which they can use to attack Lidl stores.

Apologies for a joke that had the possibility of not being 100% defensible in an episode of L.A. Law... :rolleyes: :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Snow is heavy/shovelling snow is hard work

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Patww79 wrote: »

I prefer not to rely on celestial dictator

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Fcking fell last night and cracked a rib. In severe discomfort

Fcking drunk idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

Starting to melt now.

Grand. Cracked the hatches.

Let the reek of Guinness farts out. This green, malodorous cloud dissolved snow and plantlife as on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Fcking ribcage is banjaxed lads.

Need whiskey to ease pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Fcking fell last night and cracked a rib. In severe discomfort

Fcking drunk idiot.
    Fcking ribcage is banjaxed lads.

Need whiskey to ease pain.
    To_alcohol_The_cause_of..._and_solution_to..._all_of_life_s_pro.gif

Just dug out my driveway - highly offended that someone else is getting the credit for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

minikin wrote: »
    Not so sure about that unfortunately Nostro, many small businesses run on tight margins. They are less resilient than larger competitors because the banks can be brutal in advancing credit facilities. They would also have less redundancy in terms of systems and staff numbers... so a few days lost trading or missing staff can ruin a month for them... a bad month can ruin a year... look at what happened to Lidl, in the grand scheme of things they'll bounce back... if that happened to a small retail outlet - game over.

If having to close for a couple of days has that impact the business is not viable. Coming from a small shopkeepers family what actually happens is a day like today we would be much busier than typical. The losses from 2 days closed would be regained quickly enough once reopened. In any small business there has to be an element of contingency planning. For every small business you will have some downtime, whether it’s a supply issue, a leaky roof, whatever. You need to be able manage these or your business was never a goer.

Now if someone smashed a jcb through the wall we would have been in trouble alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

They had one of those smug Germans on the on o'clock news.

• Advertisement

dirtyden wrote: »
    If having to close for a couple of days has that impact the business is not viable. Coming from a small shopkeepers family what actually happens is a day like today we would be much busier than typical. The losses from 2 days closed would be regained quickly enough once reopened. In any small business there has to be an element of contingency planning. For every small business you will have some downtime, whether it’s a supply issue, a leaky roof, whatever. You need to be able manage these or your business was never a goer.

Now if someone smashed a jcb through the wall we would have been in trouble alright.

Thanks for your example but by definition your family's highly profitable business was not the type of business being discussed in the rte piece or by me. That's why I said 'many' rather than 'all' small businesses.Not all small businesses sell the essentials unfortunately... look how many retailers are hanging in there... and they're doing ok, getting by, so long as they can continue trading on a regular basis. I think it's a bit unfair to dismiss them out of hand because they're not highly liquid.

In the same way as people are hanging in there paying their mortgages... not fair to knock them because they don't have multiple years mortgage payments in reserve. A lot of businesses and people are just getting by - nothing to be ashamed about.

Anyway... do you know what's gas about this weather... cylinders.

Advertisement