Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snowmagedagain

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

dirtyden wrote: »
    If having to close for a couple of days has that impact the business is not viable. Coming from a small shopkeepers family what actually happens is a day like today we would be much busier than typical. The losses from 2 days closed would be regained quickly enough once reopened. In any small business there has to be an element of contingency planning. For every small business you will have some downtime, whether it’s a supply issue, a leaky roof, whatever. You need to be able manage these or your business was never a goer.

Now if someone smashed a jcb through the wall we would have been in trouble alright.

Well interestingly enough a number of Tesco stores have little if any deliveries today because their lorries cannot get out to make nationwide deliveries.

Coupled with the fact that at least one of their mega stores was on lock down following the Jobstown Riot and supermarket attack last night. Security had the doors locked and were only permitting access on request and No cash - card only transactions.

Shows how 'events' can scupper even the biggest business daily operations ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Clickbait

I have no idea how people are walking and not slipping on the ice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Must have those new Clark’s with traction control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

R de clubz opin 2ni ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Now that The Beast From The East has come and gone was there anything in particular you enjoyed durning this major weather event? For me it was spending some good quality time with the family which i normally wouln'd get to do. Also watching people scramble to get bread. It was if the country was going to be shut down for a month and their lives depended on a slice pan. Did you survive without Brennn's slice pan? Looking forward to hearing posters stories.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

The air, It was fresh and didn't get into my bones like the normal bitter damp cold we get, Slept with the windows open, Loved it.. Nice to walk in it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

If something like this ever happens again, I will be getting the last flight out of the country to somewhere warm before it happens and returning when its all done and dusted. A bit tired of the completely OTT coverage on RTE at this stage. They seem to have absolutely nothing else of interest to talk about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

What did youse have for breakfast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

The name was pretty snappy

The air, It was fresh and didn't get into my bones like the normal bitter damp cold we get, Slept with the windows open, Loved it.. Nice to walk in it too.

I agree I had a touch of the flu and went out for a stroll yesterday and i must say the air was so crisp that I think it helped kill some of the flu bugs. I fell much better today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The starving wildlife was the highlight for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'm sorry, but we enjoyed nothing. Stranded in the house since Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

That and the freezing homeless people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

I liked the snow.

If something like this ever happens again, I will be getting the last flight out of the country to somewhere warm before it happens and returning when its all done and dusted. A bit tired of the completely OTT coverage on RTE at this stage. They seem to have absolutely nothing else of interest to talk about.

I hear they’ve other channels now Ted, as many as a dozen more, in colour and everything! You’re dead right about getting away though :)

What did youse have for breakfast?

Rashes, sausages and eggs with a cup of black tea as we had no milk. I had one slice of toast after having a fight with a crow in my garden to get the last slice of bread off him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

natashaob6 wrote: »
    Rashes, sausages and eggs with a cup of black tea as we had no milk. I had one slice of toast after having a fight with a crow in my garden to get the last slice of bread off him.

The rashes could be from scurvy due to a lack of fruit and vegetables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,302 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If no milk left, plain vanilla ice cream or baileys in coffee works... depending on the time day :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,302 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Clickbait wrote: »
    I have no idea how people are walking and not slipping on the ice.

I'm using the clip on grips I bought after last snowmageddon... first time using them, they'd been sitting in drawer for years. Great grip, but in deep piles of slush I have to make sure I haven't left them behind. And walking on a clear stretch is actually awkward.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

YES Like most undiagnosed adhd, mild autism sufferers!?

dirtyden wrote:
    If having to close for a couple of days has that impact the business is not viable. Coming from a small shopkeepers family what actually happens is a day like today we would be much busier than typical. The losses from 2 days closed would be regained quickly enough once reopened. In any small business there has to be an element of contingency planning. For every small business you will have some downtime, whether it’s a supply issue, a leaky roof, whatever. You need to be able manage these or your business was never a goer.

If the business is manufacturing you will never get those days back.

• Advertisement

Now that The Beast From The East has come and gone was there anything in particular you enjoyed durning this major weather event? For me it was spending some good quality time with the family which i normally wouln'd get to do. We spent all of yesterday out in the snow and my three teenagers couldn't believe the amount of snow had fallen not just in our area but all over the country. We took some great photos and we now have great memories of the historical weather event. So how was it for you guys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

The looting.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    The looting.

Very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I went up to Tesco airside there for when it opened at 11am, it was mental, you'd think it was the end of days the way some of them were carrying on! It'll be back to normal by Monday or Tuesday and there was some woman with 6 loaves of bread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Is looting now the official pastime for disadvantaged Dubs when a bit of snow arrives?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭WhiteMan32

Collie D wrote: »
    Dublin Bus due to resume service on main routes from midday with updates from around 10am.

Similar to previous occasions when the Dublin Bus service resumed following a number of strike days, will they be offering annual leap card holders a refund for the recent days that they did not operate a service due to the snow?

I went up to Tesco airside there for when it opened at 11am, it was mental, you'd think it was the end of days the way some of them were carrying on! It'll be back to normal by Monday or Tuesday and there was some woman with 6 loaves of bread.

Supervalue Maynooth was fast outta the traps to open again this morning.

Two teleporters clearing the carpark and doing a wild trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Employer had been running me ragged.

Then bang. loads of time off, and totally not my fault. Cant blame me for snow can ya. lol.

Same employer thinks Im going to give it socks when I get back.

Me hole. lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

It was like christmas without the crap tunes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

It was a great reminder that the idea of doing nothing and watching tv/playing video games all day is never as good as you think it'll be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Baked fresh bread every morning, fcuk that Brennan’s ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

natashaob6 wrote: »
    Now that The Beast From The East has come and gone was there anything in particular you enjoyed durning this major weather event? For me it was spending some good quality time with the family which i normally wouln'd get to do. Also watching people scramble to get bread. It was if the country was going to be shut down for a month and their lives depended on a slice pan. Did you survive without Brennn's slice pan? Looking forward to hearing posters stories.

I enjoyed the banter with my family and neighbors. I got some nice photos and video clips during the week. Something to look back on in years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,523 ✭✭✭✭Esel

odyssey06 wrote: »
    If no milk left, plain vanilla ice cream or baileys in coffee works... depending on the time day :)

Butter also works.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Went to Citywest earlier as Dunnes was opening at 1pm. Had to go past the Lidl, sad sight, but what was worse were the sheer number of burnt out cars or with smashed windows. Any car that got stuck was fair game it seems. So depressing being from this part of Dublin. Some absolute braindead scum live here.

Dunnes was crazy also, like a scene from black friday sales in the US. 50-60 people allowed in at a time. Queues all back outside and around the carpark, some queing since 10am apparently. I somehow arrived at 12:30 and was in the first lot into the store. Lots of pushing, shoving, grabbing and a few scuffles. Dogs running around the place also. Don't call this place the wild west for nothing.

Hiked home with a backpack full of milk, tea, meat and other essentials. My parents were happy to see me. My brother in law got the essentials also, few boxes of beer and some crisps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

As a shareholder in Brennan's Bread I quite like my new Ferrari

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Berserker wrote: »
    Is looting now the official pastime for disadvantaged Dubs when a bit of snow arrives?

Heard there was a break in in a jewellers in Athlone also, they went in through the roof apparently.

What a rubbish thing to say. I saw three frozen ducks yesterday. They were frozen to death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

stesaurus wrote: »
    Dunnes was crazy also, like a scene from black friday sales in the US.

I popped out to do a bit of shopping this morning and it was silly stuff. Went to put back a few bananas that were a little overripe and this oul wan called me 'fussy'. I laughed at her at first but then I realised that she was serious. Bread, milk, eggs and alcohol, of course, seem to be the items in demand. The fishmongers was very quiet and they had a good selection so we picked up some nice bits in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭griffin100

We had some huge drifts in East Carlow but big thaw set in now and roads have been well cleared.

IVf16I.jpg

rBr3N8.jpg

Bd0tkF.jpg

KQNKPZ.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Mods removing posts again I see.

• Advertisement

For all the foreigners laughing at us... Would other countries leave slush on footpaths?

Bet the American's wouldn't because they'd be ready to sue.

A snow bank has just been raided in Tallaght.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

minikin wrote: »
    A snow bank has just been raided in Tallaght.

Those responsible should get a good flake!:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

What a rubbish thing to say. I saw three frozen ducks yesterday. They were frozen to death.

LekVjqa.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

I am so fed up of being stuck with my family! I hate to say it but apart from sleeping I haven't had 2 minutes to myself without someone talking to me! And talking about nothing. I know it's terrible, I can't even go for a pint with my friends because they are all snowed in further away we're as I can walk. Mother of God this is cabin fever at its finest. And don't say go for a walk. When I go for a walk, someone always wants to come with me. Rant over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭Den14

blade1 wrote: »
    Those responsible should get a good flake!:o
    They've already taken several boxes of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Lots of melting going on in Dublin 8 with me hurrah! Long may it continue might actually be able to do something tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭shayp83

Is there any advantage of going out and clearing the drive way of snow or will i just wait till it melts? The car is not going anywhere any time soon with the estate roads still covered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

For all the foreigners laughing at us... Would other countries leave slush on footpaths?

Bet the American's wouldn't because they'd be ready to sue.

I wouldn't take it to heart - countries that have snow regularly of course have machinery and schedules to keep everything moving. It just wouldn't make sense to have the same in Ireland for a once-a-decade event such as this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement