Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snowmagedagain

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Sand People,they move in single file to disguise their numbers.

Yep, I read that in the SandPaper
    :rolleyes:

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

We're strictly rationing our milk as we have started into the last litre. Tea and coffee only, no cereal or anything else.

Now, I'm off to take a milk bath.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

lol F**king Hell man, shiny shopping centres really are the modern day Cathedrals

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Was out all day clearing the roads around the house with some of the neighbours so that people could get out of the estate and then had a cup of tea or beer with them.

That's a nice side to these events despite the depressing fact that it's still always a minority of people willing to help others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭cinnamony

Tried to walk outside this morning as I needed food but could only get across the street, somehow the ice outside the apartment complex froze in mounds. So the foothpath that is usually flat is like a slope right now imagine having to walk straight ahead in the middle of a slippery slope if that makes sense... I didn't fall because there was a grid on the outside of the footpath which is now loose. I imagine from people having to grab onto it..
    On top of that I only have flat runners so its even worse.
    I really hope it has melted by tomorrow as I need to travel to Lidl/Aldi for groceries. The only shops near me are the more expensive Tesco Express, SuperValu, Spar etc.. so I really only shop at the weekend and I've fully ran out of food just now aha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

gozunda wrote: »
    Ya wannabe clairvoyant there obviously. Hasn't been long here by the looks of it and going to find it tough with that attitude imo :D

I'll be ok.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Shoveling snow and small talk with neighbours. Sounds like hell tbh, but each to their own.

What makes you think I'm even vaguely interested in your Nth iteration of I Don't Like Humankind riff?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Was out all day clearing the roads around the house with some of the neighbours so that people could get out of the estate and then had a cup of tea or beer with them.

That's a nice side to these events despite the depressing fact that it's still always a minority of people willing to help others.

Thought it was great to see the roads full of people walking. Some people that hadn't walked in years I'd say.

That said I laughed a lot at a neighbour trying to get up the hill in a car today rather than help... no regrets :D

• Advertisement

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Thought it was great to see the roads full of people walking. Some people that hadn't walked in years I'd say.

That said I laughed a lot at a neighbour trying to get up the hill in a car today rather than help... no regrets :D

Or people slipping on the ice to be fair :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

After a near riot in the supermarket today when bread arrived out of the ovens, I'm inclined to think the people buying all this bread are people who normally subsist on take-aways, and haven't a clue how to cook for themselves. Grown men were shoving women out of the way to grab a bread roll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The whole bread thing is just nuts.

Just shows the reliance some people have on convenience food and the lack of knowledge when it comes to nutrition. What happened to stews, onion soup (onions last a lot longer than bread) and other classics that will last over a few days. Power cut or not, the back garden is a fridge in this weather.

Brennan's sliced pan? It's barely bread. It's no wonder we've an obesity problem.

But I've a PC in front of me and I'm bored while my game loads.

Let us know how it gets on. Don't leave us hanging.

Obesity costs the nation millions. Tax payers millions. I have a concern! ;)

Brothy onion soup. Perfect winter fuel for sledging and knocking around in the snow. Lots of garlic in there... cold and flu fighters.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The Bread of life. Who'd a thunk it would beat the Spuds!

There must be a lot of toast being made. Or hang sandwiches or maybe those cheese toasties in the pockets that can be put in the toaster. They are the dogs blx. Sorry for the profanity.

Add a packet of Tayto and it is bliss. No need for anything else.

My brother has two boys, he reckons there is something in the sliced pans that is addictive. I agree. Even just spread with butter it's gorgeous.

I'll look after my own and I'll have concern for others too!

I have kids! They play in the snow, they go sledging and I play with them, afterwards we go home and have a hearty stew or onion soup! Very healthy. The uniflu is after you get a cold. The onions and garlic prevent you getting a cold in the first place! A lot cheaper too! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

If you don't have an obseity problem and your family don't have an obesity problem, then that's where your concern should end. Anyway, most people would find toast nicer than onion soup.

Onion ****ing soup, Jesus Christ :D You're not exactly selling the option of "nutrition".

You've obviously never had a good onion soup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod- Clearly some people around here are starting to suffer from cabin fever. I'm locking this for half an hour so ye can go for a little look outside. have a cig a mug of something or whatever floats your boat.

• Advertisement

Mod-thread reopened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Conspectus wrote: »
    Mod-thread reopened

Thanks, it was still cold outside but I enjoyed the ciggie.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

DistantAcrobaticCobra-max-1mb.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I don't think it's a minority. 50/50, I'd say.
    John_Rambo wrote: »
    The onions and garlic prevent you getting a cold in the first place! A lot cheaper too! ;)

The onions and garlic might prevent you getting a cold. As a cancer patient, I'm endlessly fascinated with the amount of people who think that things that they will 100% protect from various ailments (I'm delightfully treated to insinuations that if I ate better, it wouldn't have happened). Eating various things might reduce your chances of getting a cold or cancer or whatever but they're not a forcefield.

• Advertisement

I pile the garlic into me daily, cut 4 cloves up each day and put into a soup drink each night. Haven't had a cold or flu since I started doing this.
    It thins the blood rightly though, you end up feeling the cold a lot more. If you cut yourself the blood flows like a bastard, and I'm talking tiny cuts.

buried wrote: »
    I pile the garlic into me daily, cut 4 cloves up each day and put into a soup drink each night. Haven't had a cold or flu since I started doing this.
    It thins the blood rightly though, you end up feeling the cold a lot more. If you cut yourself the blood flows like a bastard, and I'm talking tiny cuts.

I don't do any of that and haven't had a cold or flu in over 15 years. And I don't feel the cold.

But where did the snow thread go.......?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

Heading for the rivers/streams...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

I don't do any of that and haven't had a cold or flu in over 15 years. And I don't feel the cold.

You're an older gentleman Saylor Damp Mocha aren't You?
    Do you do anything special to stay well.
    I'm in my mid 30s and I've never had a flu the worst was a sniffle of the nose,I've an extremely unhealthy lifestyle but I haven't needed a doctor all my life bar broken bones.
    Is it just genetics or what?

Snow thread is disappearing as fast as the snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Garlic and onions preventing flus which are viruses sound like old wives tales to me.

You're an older gentleman Srameen aren't You?
    Do you do anything special to stay well.
    I'm in my mid 30s and I've never had a flu the worst was a sniffle of the nose,I've an extremely unhealthy lifestyle but I haven't needed a doctor all my life bar broken bones.
    Is it just genetics or what?

Snow thread is disappearing as fast as the snow.

74. Fresh air, exercise, coffee, biscuits, fry ups, and the love of a good woman works for me.

Thawing well here now but the slush is a worry. Haven't been out of the house or met anybody since Wednesday morning. Trout season started on Thursday and the snow put paid to that long awaited treat.

Sick of snow at this stage (and I spent 6 weeks in Antarctica years ago).

It's all over, go to bed.....

murpho999 wrote: »
    Garlic and onions preventing flus which are viruses sound like old wives tales to me.

Well, it works for me, I used to get those annoying colds around 4 times a year until I started dosing myself with garlic. Only got an actual flu once in my life where you could say it actually was the flu. But those annoying sniffle head stuff colds are gone now thank Christ.

buried wrote: »
    Well, it works for me, I used to get those annoying colds around 4 times a year until I started dosing myself with garlic. Only got an actual flu once in my life where you could say it actually was the flu. But those annoying sniffle head stuff colds are gone now thank Christ.

Just a co-incidence in my opinion and not a guarantee you will not get a cold again. Also not good for you to have your blood too thin.

Just a co-incidence in my opinion and not a guarantee you will not get a cold again. Also not good for you to have your blood too thin.

I hear ya, if I need to go for a operation anytime soon I'll be rightly fooked!!

• Advertisement

Drink one cup of this a day to cure all your ill's. A Mauritian and a pole I work with both independent of each other swear by this. Neither of them have missed a day in over 20 years.

https://wellnessmama.com/223/turmeric-tea/

Yeah I dose myself with the ground turmeric in the soup each day too. Its good stuff.

Seeing more people venturing out in cars today but so many don't clear the snow off their roof.

Saw one guy with windows all cleared and at least 20cm depth of snow all over the roof. Really dangerous as that can slide down the windscreeen when driving at speed and totally block the view. Don't understand that people don't think of this and it's also very easy and quick to clear.

Murpho999 banned for talking about snow. :D

Yeah, You only need a little dose, if you add too much it will destroy the concoction and you end up with only tasting tumeric, it is very strong stuff. But a little small bit into something every day and you will get the benefit anyways. There's a Indian Takeaway near me and they sell all the ground powder stuff too on the side, the head chef there told me this story. Could have been a sales pitch but I bought it! Not doing me any harm anyways so fook it.

Seeing more people venturing out in cars today but so many don't clear the snow off their roof.

Saw one guy with windows all cleared and at least 20cm depth of snow all over the roof. Really dangerous as that can slide down the windscreeen when driving at speed and totally block the view. Don't understand that people don't think of this and it's also very easy and quick to clear.

ra4vth.jpg

Feck the Statutes of Kilkenny; I just took a good, hard look at myself in the mirror tonight and snowmageddon has resulted in this fierce wilde Irishe beard emerging on my face. Women in the house not impressed at this new look so it must be good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

There is so much misinformation about it so many people I know believe you catch cold from actually being cold temperature wise

• Advertisement

wakka12 wrote: »
    There is so much misinformation about it so many people I know believe you catch cold from actually being cold temperature wise

I know so many people think you can 'catch a cold' from going outside without correct clothing or having a window open.

Same people who think that Brennans make good bread!

Advertisement