Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snowmagedagain

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

buried wrote: »
    lol F**king Hell man, shiny shopping centres really are the modern day Cathedrals

C'mon now, you have to attribute that to Sergei speaking to Prop Joe in 'The Wire'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I went out for a long walk yesterday evening, thinking that the snow had eased off, but got caught up in a mini-blizzard. I ended up having to help push three cars up a hill (one at a time, obviously because I don't like to show off). By the third car, I was effectively just leaning against it while others did the hard work, feeling like I was going to have a heart attack. I got the hell out of there as quickly as I could, before any more eejits arrived. Sure enough, there were several cars haphazardly abandoned on that road this morning. I somehow doubt that they all had good reasons to be on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

C'mon now, you have to attribute that to Sergei speaking to Prop Joe in 'The Wire'.

lol Back of me head I knew I heard that $hit somewhere before, I just didn't know where it was

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

74. Fresh air, exercise, coffee, biscuits, fry ups, and the love of a good woman works for me.

Trout season started on Thursday and the snow put paid to that long awaited treat.

Fishing...i knew fishing was good for my health,no matter what those women tried to tell me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I don't think it's a minority. 50/50, I'd say.

I want to live where you live then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Fair play to some of the pedestrians out there that I saw giving drivers a little push to help them get going. Little gestures like that can make someones day.

Happened myself in 2010 and a group of young lads got my car up a small bit of hill with a little push.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I want to live where you live then!

Yeah, sorry you live in Cuntville. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Is the hysteria over yet?

An inquiry into the country-wide approach will be required.

The whole country cannot be considered as a single point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

wakka12 wrote: »
    There is so much misinformation about it so many people I know believe you catch cold from actually being cold temperature wise

You're more likely to catch a cold if your nose is cold:

"The virus behind the common cold is much happier in a cold nose, US researchers suggest.

Their study showed the human immune system was weaker in cooler temperatures, allowing the virus to thrive.
    The researchers suggested keeping your nose warm and avoiding cold air while infected."

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-30685732

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Patww79 wrote: »
    Also, some absolute piece of excrement that is one of the neighbours started shoveling a driveway 15 minutes ago. Prick.

Waaaay to early for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Some absolute piece of excrement that is one of the neighbours started shoveling a driveway 15 minutes ago. Prick.

_

Feckin muppet!

My arms and back are absolutely wrecked from shovelling yesterday. Anyone else find the snow so sticky that it wouldn't get off the shovel? Everytime I was trying to throw the contents of my shovel away, the snow was sticking to shovel so I had to shake the shovel to try to get the snow off and feeling like my arms are actually going to fall off as well!

Mega thaw on here but still a good bit to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

It is too early, but in defense do they need to go to work this morning? If not they are just being annoying oddballs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Rodin wrote: »
    Is the hysteria over yet?

An inquiry into the country-wide approach will be required.

You need to consider that people commute from a large portion of the country into Dublin for work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Rodin wrote:

A single point? Have you been living under a rock this week?

Where's this single point you're talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Nothing prevents a cold.

Amazing. Food doesn’t affect the amune system??? We should bring basic nutrition in to the school syllabus.

See what the health and diet professionals know... https://dailyburn.com/life/health/immune-system-foods-colds-flu/

Everything turning to slush and muck now in Dublin. Again could have got messin in autumn with leaves, but it all seems to be draining away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

buried wrote: »
    Well, it works for me, I used to get those annoying colds around 4 times a year until I started dosing myself with garlic. Only got an actual flu once in my life where you could say it actually was the flu. But those annoying sniffle head stuff colds are gone now thank Christ.

The average person gets 2-4 colds a year. I get a lot more than that myself. I got 10 colds last year. I've had 2 so far this year. I take plenty of garlic and vitamin C which does reduce the severity of colds but doesn't prevent them. I never get coughs, a sore throat or the flu but colds are a constant problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Hopefully it will be another 36 years before we see that much snow again.

Today was the first day since thursday evening that cars were able to go on the road here.

I wonder will the supermarkets be getting in supplies today seeing as the week that's in it.

I'm 10 miles from the nearest town but it's not worth the trip if the shelves will be empty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I wonder will the supermarkets be getting in supplies today seeing as the week that's in it.

My local Tesco said yesterday they were "hoping" for a delivery today. Didnt sound too sure though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I got out and about in the snow over the past few days and found a considerable difference walking on paths that had been cleared in comparison to those that hadn't been (which were lethal in parts).

Having bought a snow shovel last week (thanks weather forum!) I was glad to be able to clear the area around my house and also my neighbours. I did as much as I could but it was tough going (had to re-shovel and clear every day)so I only got about 20 pathways outside neighbours houses cleared.

Anyway my thoughts are that many hands make light work and if all able bodied neighbours had cleared their path it would have been done in no time.

Should we be compelled by the government to clear snow off the paths outside our houses and businesses (at least in the big cities)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,692 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

in the past people thought they would be sued if they did and someone fell, in some european countries you would be breaking the law if you didnt. i noticed it too, i did our path on the first morning and the snow never really stuck after that. while around the corner there was a row of terraced houses and none of them bothered and it became compacted and slippy.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I always thought if everyone took care of the area directly outside their house things would be a lot safer.

silverharp wrote: »
    in the past people thought they would be sued if they did and someone fell, in some european countries you would be breaking the law if you didnt. i noticed it too, i did our path on the first morning and the snow never really stuck after that. while around the corner there was a row of terraced houses and none of them bothered and it became compacted and slippy.

Yes I found it a lot easier on the 2nd day to clear the parts I had cleared on the first day. I went a bit further and cleared 2 day snow and it was much icier, heavier and more compacted. Way more difficult.

I think that rumour about leaving yourself liable if you clear your path can finally be put to bed!!

As an aside, I used a regular shovel and also a snow shovel.

The snow shovel is definitely the tool for the job!! Cleared the snow away much better than with the other shovel (but that was useful for hard compacted bits that needed a good whack).

Snow shovels are cheap enough - mine was only 6 euro in Argos. Think it is a good idea to have in one in the house to use if ever snow like this affects us again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Yes I found it a lot easier on the 2nd day to clear the parts I had cleared on the first day. I went a bit further and cleared 2 day snow and it was much icier, heavier and more compacted. Way more difficult.

I think that rumour about leaving yourself liable if you clear your path can finally be put to bed!!

You're liable if you create a burden elsewhere. That snow had to go somewhere.

You're liable if you create a burden elsewhere. That snow had to go somewhere.

I put the snow I cleared in a pile up in my garden and also along the path near the wall. I cleared half the path for walking. No "burden" elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭shopper2011

Patww79 wrote:

Stop this comfort thinking.
    Take pride in your area and your house.

Dun Laoghaire Co Co give advice here about clearing footpaths (see pics).
    http://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/news/general-news/snow-here-status-red-alert-place-some-schools-closed-transport-routes-running

They advise doing it early in the morning and use a shovel and a brush. P

Presume they wouldn't advise householders do anything that would make them liable to be sued.

Didn't the government come out in 2010 during snow then and say you couldn't be sued for clearing your pathway?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭shopper2011

I cleared mine and neighbours who were not 100% fit. It would be wrong to compell elderly and unfit people to do it or pay for it. However no excuses for the perfectly able. I used a regular ordinary shovel ever morning and it was great excesise. Highly recomend it and very satisfying.

• Advertisement

Not much work if most people pitched in to clear a road and paths but you're never going to get everybody to help.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

A guy on my street cleared his driveway to the road so he could get his car out. He deposited all of the snow on the footpath completely blocking it. Dickhead

While I was clearing the front of my house had a different neighbour ask me 'What are you doing that for? Sure it will melt'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I cleared mine after the first day of heavy snow before it became compacted and put down some of the heavy duty gritting Salt the local garage were selling.
    While some snow did stick after that it melted away fairly quick and was a lot easier to clear.
    I was the only one to do it in my estate and I was the only who didn’t have to literally dig my car out yesterday.
    Another piece of kit I found great was the long blow torch I use to kill weeds ..Lidl sell them on occasion, great for the compacted snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭shiftkey

iDave wrote: »
    I always thought if everyone took care of the area directly outside their house things would be a lot safer.
    And if you are youngish and in good shape, it's a kind act to clear your neighbour's pathway too, if they haven't already done it. And maybe next time they might return the favor!

• Advertisement

To be fair as well, I quite enjoyed clearing the street with neighbours yesterday. I have been stuck working from home for days so it's grand to get out and do some physical exercise in bracing weather.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Her husband was so embarrassed by what she said he immediately appeared with a shovel and did his :pac:

Seems that "the Office of the Attorney General has advised that liability does not arise when snow is cleared from footpaths in a safe manner".

https://www.winterready.ie/en/guides/advice-home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

melt and refreeze
    lethal

yes, it should be mandatory to have to clear the footpath in front of your house.
    might be the first days work some people have ever done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

melt and refreeze
    lethal

yes, it should be mandatory to have to clear the footpath in front of your house.
    might be the first days work some people have ever done

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ballsdeep69

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Lol! You're slowly coming around. You'll surely agree stews and soups are better than Brennan's Bread!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The AG made it perfectly clear. There is no liability on somebody who attempted to clear snow.

• Advertisement
Advertisement