Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snowmagedagain

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

You need to consider that people commute from a large portion of the country into Dublin for work.

The northwest was completely unscathed yet it had it'a schools closed, hospital appointments cancelled, shops closed.

This nonsense of everyone in the country being home by 4pm.... the red alert should have been local/regional... NOT an all encompassing national one

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Nothing wrong with that.
    Needs to be a bit more proactivity in the country to move the snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭shiftkey

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Humans are morons.

Morans are humans too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Cleared my front yesterday and can get the cars out to the shops etc. Bout 20 other home owners around me can't because they weren't bothered doing a bit of graft.

Ah well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Lots of inconsiderate idiots trying to get to the Sugarloaf, Roundwood etc to look at the snow, now at best slowing the efforts to clear the road, at worst getting stuck and making the problems a whole lot worse.

Roundwood, Laragh and Glendalough need supplies, not tourists, this Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Schwanz wrote: »
    Cleared my front yesterday and can get the cars out to the shops etc. Bout 20 other home owners around me can't because they weren't bothered doing a bit of graft.
    They were probably right not to bother getting up off their backsides, its called a thaw.
    Roundwood, Laragh and Glendalough need supplies,
    So RTE will manage to get another day or two out of this!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Footpath is the cities property. Why would I clear that? I just drove over the snow and compacted it into slippery ice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Ah well

The snow and ice will melt away. Looks like the joke is on you! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

doylefe wrote: »
    Footpath is the cities property. Why would I clear that? I just drove over the snow and compacted it into slippery ice.

So you and your neighbours could walk safely on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Lads the temperature is rising rapidly, if it was the middle of winter we would need to clear the paths, honestly some of you just want to moan about something.

So you and your neighbours could walk safely on it

It doesn't make a difference! It will melt away anyway. just walk carefully. Everyone out clearing paths and drives as it all drips around them hahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    It doesn't make a difference! It will melt away anyway. just walk carefully. Everyone out clearing paths and drives as it all drips around them hahaha

We are clearing a bit here so the drains and shores are free to allow it run off

I've been clearing all around me since the snow started. It made my paths much safer to walk on while the uncleared ones were lethal.

I'll continue to clear until it is all gone.

If everyone did this the paths would be cleared much quicker and also safer for everyone over the days while it was bad.

• Advertisement

It depends... if your fit + healthy youll be fine anyway.

But if your not its safer to have them cleared.

Get earplugs if you don't like someone being industrious early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mohawk

Some absolute piece of excrement that is one of the neighbours started shoveling a driveway 15 minutes ago. Prick.

_

I woke up at 5am to sound of my neighbor shovelling the road so he could drive out of the estate. He works for a bread company as a delivery driver so I am not mad.

Footpath is the cities property. Why would I clear that?

Maybe, to take one reason of many, because old people could slip on that path in front of your house and it will take much, much longer for their injuries to heal if at all. That a basic instinct for civic responsibility/decent considerate behaviour is absent in your world view does not reflect well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Ah well

To be honest an uneven surface is less safe.

Your going to be walking on snow.

Fools around here clearing their area and dumping it on road / behind cars.

so some fools here clearing snow that is melting and causing tripping hazards and uneven surfaces.

I've been clearing all around me since the snow started. It made my paths much safer to walk on while the uncleared ones were lethal.

I'll continue to clear until it is all gone.

If everyone did this the paths would be cleared much quicker and also safer for everyone over the days while it was bad.

Fair play but it's just an extra job you're giving yourself. Not necessary, people should be heeding the warnings and not heading out so it is totally you're own risk to walk down a snowy path. Not my responsibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Maybe, to take one reason of many, because old people could slip on that path in front of your house and it will take much, much longer for their injuries to heal if at all. That a basic instinct for civic responsibility/decent considerate behaviour is absent in your world view does not reflect well.

Ha,someone not cleaning up snow doesn't reflect well on them??
    Get off the high horse there!

The older people should be being looked after by neighbours and not have to go outside till it is safe! Bring their shopping to them, there is no other reason to be out and about, it's the weekend and most places were shut until today.

Fair play but it's just an extra job you're giving yourself. Not necessary, people should be heeding the warnings and not heading out so it is totally you're own risk to walk down a snowy path. Not my responsibility.

I'm young and fit. I'm happy to clear it - makes it easier for people who have to go out to do essential duties. Eg. there is a doctor living beside me. Hopefully me clearing snow for 30 mins meant it was easier and safer for her to get to work.

I'm young and fit. I'm happy to clear it - makes it easier for people who have to go out to do essential duties. Eg. there is a doctor living beside me. Hopefully me clearing snow for 30 mins meant it was easier and safer for her to get to work.

Yes that is fair enough but I'm talking about an ordinary joe clearing the path outside so the other ordinary joes can go to the pub/shop, no way. I've seen some stupid actions these last few days, like a friend getting their dad to drive them 5 minutes to work in a shop! In heavy snow and getting stuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It depends... if your about 20 or 30 years old youll be fine anyway.

But if youv got older people around its safer to have them cleared.
    ROFL. I'm 61 and I've just cleared my paths and those of ny 80 year old neighbour, not everybody over the age of 30 is infirm you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Alun wrote: »
    ROFL. I'm 61 and I've just cleared my paths and those of ny 80 year old neighbour, not everybody over the age of 30 is infirm you know.

Careful there!!! :p :pac:

That a basic instinct for civic responsibility/decent considerate behaviour is absent in your world view does not reflect well.
    "Civic" and "responsibility" are two words I've rarely heard used together in this country on a whole raft of issues to be honest.

• Advertisement

My husband is a few years older and out shovelling and advising young lads how to pile it !

What?

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    My husband is a few years older and out shovelling and advising young lads how to pile it !

:rolleyes: it'll all be gone by morning anyway

iamwhoiam wrote: »

Great! Leading by example is probably the way to go to get everyone out shovelling

???

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

We've all cleared our driveways and outside our paths. There's an elderly man up the road who needs one of those wheeled walking frames to get round. So yesterday we all got out and cleared the paths. Yesterday was the first day it made sense because there were no fresh snow falls. It's not about whether he can get to the shop or not it's just so he has the option to even stretch the legs if he wants. Sure it'll melt, but he's been stuck in doors since last Wednesday so if he, or anyone else concerned about slipping, wants to get out he/they now can.

But, but ... according to some of the red alert naysayers on here it was only a few cm's :D

• Advertisement

Anyone else hate the sight of someone flying around the corner in the snow while you're walking? Amazing people didn't just slow down or not drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Anyone else hate the sight of someone flying around the corner in the snow while you're walking? Amazing people didn't just slow down or not drive.

And splashing all the snow people are putting out on the road.

Anybody in Dublin/Wicklow considering playing the snow tourist, please read some of the posts on the following FB page ....

https://www.facebook.com/wicklowalerts/

There's currently only a single lane free from Kilmacanogue to Roundwood and every man and his dog with a D4 jeep is trying to get out there or to Glendalough.

STAY AWAY, PLEASE!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

There's currently only a single lane free from Kilmacanogue to Roundwood and every man and his dog with a D4 jeep is trying to get out there or to Glendalough.

STAY AWAY, PLEASE!!!

At least leave the dog at home

:rolleyes: it'll all be gone by morning anyway

We are aware thanks but they are clearing paths to the drains .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Anybody in Dublin/Wicklow considering playing the snow tourist, please read some of the posts on the following FB page ....

STAY AWAY, PLEASE!!!

My cousin shared a pic on Facebook yesterday that's been removed. It was about 50 metres up the hill out of hollywood to Sally gap. It was hand painted and said "This is as far as rescue teams can go. Your on your own from here"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

STAY AWAY, PLEASE!!!

The situation in Wicklow looks quite severe. A lot of people cut off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Heavens people having a sense of responsibility duty and worth. Going out doing something YOURSELF AND HELPING OTHER PEOPLE!!! What has the world come to!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

Yes I enjoyed the snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Next door kept his paths clear. I just let mine melt. He went to the shops and cleared out all the bread, leaving none for the old people. He likes to be organised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

In the US, the patch of footpath in front of the house is the homeowner’s responsibility.

• Advertisement
Advertisement