Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snowmagedagain

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

gmisk wrote: »
    Have you seen Geostorm?
    I liked it when he killed your man on the space station yoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

greenspurs wrote: »
    Local news at 1.00 today...

A representative from an Animal shelter (? didn't get the name)
    "If you are bringing your pets for walks in the snow , make sure they are on a lead, because you don't know how deep the snow could be " !!???? WTF !!!!

Maybe people have pet centipedes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

This has all been worth it for the woman in work protesting to everyone that its a bit of a "damp squid".....

It's because she's taking it all for granite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Well I hope it doesn't stick but its snowing in Limerick already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,702 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

PHEW !!!!!!

just got an email from Insurance company on "How to stay safe on the roads" ....

Still not chancing it, until I hear from Conor !!!!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

_Dara_ wrote: »
    It’s hard to justify the investment it would require when money is badly needed elsewhere. I bet other countries hate having to budget for it.

You can easily justify it if the numbers do. It's no different to flood risk, landslide risk etc.No country wants to budget for any of them but it's irresponsible no to. The question is just how you quantify the damage, economicaly, which is easy, and socially which depends on the country and the value they place on their citizens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

evil_seed wrote: »
    It's because she's taking it all for granite
    She is a bit of a social leopard...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Lēo was up early this morning...
    GRPSK79_7c0e50_947801.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

Why are people complaining that there's nothing happening? It's not meant to start til this evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Why are people complaining that there's nothing happening? It's not meant to start til this evening
    And be well forgotten come friday mud and 10c.

seen fella buying a snow showel in halfords :D
    supervalu booze bread milk isles completely ravaged, sales close to those of xmas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I might reassess if I wake up and find out that my Ford Transit is underneath 4 foot of snow.

The met eireann rep on the news this afternoon forecast a whopping six centimeters of snow. I expected her to say inches after the introduction the presenter gave her.

Was meant to start last night and then it seemed to shift to lunch time today. Still nothing here on the Dublin/Kildare border. Not a flake of snow in London either and they were supposed to get a right battering last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I guess the usual thrill-seeking eegits will be out extreme tobogganing again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Berserker wrote: »
    Not a flake of snow in London either and they were supposed to get a right battering last night.

It hammered down at lunchtime, unless my eyes decieve me.

I guess the usual thrill-seeking eegits will be out extreme tobogganing again.

That'll be interesting viewing with a few cms of snow. There is northside v southside snowball fight planned for O'Connell bridge in Dublin tomorrow.
    Hoboo wrote: »
    It hammered down at lunchtime, unless my eyes decieve me.

Ah, last update I heard was earlier this morning. How deep is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

Was meant to start last night and then it seemed to shift to lunch time today. Still nothing here on the Dublin/Kildare border. Not a flake of snow in London either and they were supposed to get a right battering last night.

Any report I've read has consistently said the real snowfall will start Tuesday evening and night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Jaysus, nearly had the virtual head bitten off me over on the weather forum for suggesting that weather nerds were making a bit of a big deal about this. You’d think we were about to enter another ice age by the way some of them are going on, and not facing into a few days of slushy snow and cold temperatures. There’ll be loads of people working through all this, while taking fairly reasonable precautions. Stocking up on gas cannisters, torches, and candles seems a bit much. It’s not a war time raid on London, or the Day After Tomorrow. Think some folk are getting into Ray Myers or Bear Grylls fantasies. No bread in Lidl – mother of God.

Anyways, I intend to work all week, and I’ve told my employees that they should expect to do the same, until they hear otherwise. A few inches of snow ain’t going to be changing that. I might reassess if I wake up and find out that my Ford Transit is underneath 4 foot of snow.

Pure unnecessary excitement and panic.

You’re so badass. The most badass part was running over to After Hours to tell everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Anyways, I intend to work all week, and I’ve told my employees that they should expect to do the same, until they hear otherwise. A few inches of snow ain’t going to be changing that. I might reassess if I wake up and find out that my Ford Transit is underneath 4 foot of snow.

Will you reassess if there is a red weather warning for your area, or compel your employees to come in anyway?

You can easily justify it if the numbers do. It's no different to flood risk, landslide risk etc.No country wants to budget for any of them but it's irresponsible no to. The question is just how you quantify the damage, economicaly, which is easy, and socially which depends on the country and the value they place on their citizens.

You absolutely can’t easily justify that expenditure in Ireland. Other countries spend huge amounts on it but it makes sense to in those places. The benefit doesn’t match the cost. The health service, for example, is underfunded and that will affect far more lives. Ploughing more money into winter preparedness will divert even more money away from more pressing vital services that do more to save lives and aid the economy.

The met eireann rep on the news this afternoon forecast a whopping six centimeters of snow. I expected her to say inches after the introduction the presenter gave her.

Nope, it was always reported as late Tuesday onwards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

You absolutely can’t easily justify that expenditure in Ireland. Other countries spend huge amounts on it but it makes sense to in those places. The benefit doesn’t match the cost. The health service, for example, is underfunded and that will affect far more lives. Ploughing more money into winter preparedness will divert even more money away from more pressing vital services that do more to save lives and aid the economy.

The health service isn’t underfunded but you are right about there being no need for winter preparedness for the odd big storm every generation.

The health service isn’t underfunded but you are right about there being no need for winter preparedness for the odd big storm every generation.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/hse-warns-of-potential-881m-funding-crisis-in-2018-1.3363341%3fmode=amp

Now, some of that would be because of inefficiencies but the point is pouring lots of money into winter preparedness would divert money away from vital services that impact the lives of people in this country on a much more regular basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

This has all been worth it for the woman in work protesting to everyone that its a bit of a "damp squid".....

hqdefault.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Jaysus, nearly had the virtual head bitten off me over on the weather forum for suggesting that weather nerds were making a bit of a big deal about this. You’d think we were about to enter another ice age by the way some of them are going on, and not facing into a few days of slushy snow and cold temperatures. There’ll be loads of people working through all this, while taking fairly reasonable precautions. Stocking up on gas cannisters, torches, and candles seems a bit much. It’s not a war time raid on London, or the Day After Tomorrow. Think some folk are getting into Ray Myers or Bear Grylls fantasies. No bread in Lidl – mother of God.

Pure unnecessary excitement and panic.

You're some man. I'd love to work for you. No bull****ting with you. What a hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

We could do with a bit of this global warming they keep talking about, lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

You’re so badass. The most badass part was running over to After Hours to tell everyone.

From weather to AH in seconds! Johnny Flaaasssssshhhhh.

200w.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Rory28 wrote: »
    Well I hope it doesn't stick but its snowing in Limerick already.

Ah here. It was a half-hour flurry. :pac:

I wouldn't be checking the Granary Library for wolf-proofness just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Ursummupet

Just finished stocking up on tinned beans. Blazing Saddles ready to watch once I have the fire lit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

got caught in a blizzard earlier, it was amazing. Just started drifting giant snowflakes again and my fire has never been as warm. There was no bread left in the shops so I bought lots of biscuits to have with tea and a bale of briquettes to keep the fire going a bit longer. I feel like Bear Grilles preparing for a log cabin bender.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

topper75 wrote: »
    Ah here. It was a half-hour flurry. :pac:

I wouldn't be checking the Granary Library for wolf-proofness just yet.

I drove the bike in today so Im very cautious of the snow at the moment. all blue skies again thank fcuk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

koumi wrote: »
    got caught in a blizzard earlier, it was amazing. Just started drifting giant snowflakes again and my fire has never been as warm. There was no bread left in the shops so I bought lots of biscuits to have with tea and a bale of briquettes to keep the fire going a bit longer. I feel like Bear Grilles preparing for a log cabin bender.

There's biscuits left?

No crisis at all so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The last time there was 4cm of snow I nearly died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

limnam wrote: »
    There's biscuits left?

No crisis at all so
    tesco chocolate digestives 44c, so I got two packets just to be sure. I can definitely make them last if I ration carefully.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Sorry but unless you know the numbers you are not qualified to say that. Maybe it's not clear what I'm saying, I mean if we look into it and see that the snow costs the economy X million every 10 years then it can be argued at least if its justified to spend X million every 10 years to mitigate it, but unless you do the study you don't know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I don’t think there’s anything I need to do? My pipes can’t freeze and My car is 4 wheel drive so I should still be able to go to the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    You're some man. I'd love to work for you. No bull****ting with you. What a hero.

What do you expect me to do? Give the lads the week off ‘just in case’? Nah man, they are coming in the same as usual until there’s a good reason to do otherwise. Not falling for all this hysteria that’s floating about. If things get dangerous then I’ll change me mind. A few inches of snow and cold temperatures isn’t a crisis. It’s an opportunity to put on gloves, a hat, and to crank up the heating. Maybe use an electric blanket if that’s what floats your boat. Most of this nonsense is weather fetishisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

What do you expect me to do? Give the lads the week off ‘just in case’? Nah man, they are coming in the same as usual until there’s a good reason to do otherwise. Not falling for all this hysteria that’s floating about. If things get dangerous then I’ll change me mind. A few inches of snow and cold temperatures isn’t a crisis. It’s an opportunity to put on gloves, a hat, and to crank up the heating. Maybe use an electric blanket if that’s what floats your boat. Most of this nonsense is weather fetishisation.

CppY7YDUIAQX2hm.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

seen 3 flakes today off to fill the car with bread

(yes i know the north west isnt expected to get the worst of this )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

So you only went to the weather forum to announce you are "not falling for the hysteria". I cant get why they would not welcome your weather wisdom with open arms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

MadYaker wrote:
    I don’t think there’s anything I need to do? My pipes can’t freeze and My car is 4 wheel drive so I should still be able to go to the shop.

Are you expecting to find anyone alive in the shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It would be kinda of funny though if nothing happens. :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,702 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

We got a 10min 'flurry' there at 4.30. - South Kilkenny (Not a McFlurry alas..... )

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

It’s snow disappointing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

Just murdered the neighbours for their bread & biscuit supplies.

#notonmywatchbitches
    #hardasfook
    #f**kwinter
    #nottrue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭gw80

And so it begins.
    If i dont make it, i just wanted to tell everyone,
    I dont like any of ye, and i think Hitler was right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Kind of disappointed in recent storms. Very over-hyped.

Pressure on weather forecasters to get this one right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Cant help thinking a few of Flashes staff will be quitting soon!

Patww79 wrote: »

Worst is supposed to be Thursday and Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

Mostly here, but some snow could fall nearby.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3145188,-6.2642162,17z

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Read this guy, he is usually bang on

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055579971&page=318

Advertisement