Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snowmagedagain

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Paid as I'm a permanent employee, though I have WFH remote access anyway so I worked away.
    They advised people to come to work only if they were walking (within distance and comfortable) everyone else was to stay at home (paid if they didn't have remote access).

The issue is that after issuing this instruction they've now said they won't be paying the contractors (who aren't allowed have remote access).
    There's going to be a massive issue over this I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

It’ll depend on the contract according to the workplace Relations Commission
    http://ibb.co/jwsjNn Some contracts will have a provision in place some won’t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    In Germany too .

Yep, you fall on your ass and have to go to hospital then you get an incident report form afterwards from your Health Insurance.

What address it occurred outside, was the snow clear and if it wasn't then the Health Insurance will go after the property owner.

The property owners insurance will pay out or they'll pass on the cost to whichever tenant who's turn it was to clear the snow that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I work on a commission only basis. We were closed Wednesday to Saturday.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Clickbait wrote: »
    Is the East getting mail today? I've got a package in Portlaoise which hasn't moved since last Wednesday. Thought it might have made the way to my local sorting office yesterday and get some update this morning but it hasn't moved.

Sorting office in portlaoise got it fairly bad tbh, road outside it yesterday was a no go so could be today before thats shifted.

• Advertisement

Lost a fair few bob due to the weather but it was lovely being off and had a real holiday feel to it. Beans for the rest of the month though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

We're being paid. I have remote access so was able to work from home anyway but the people who couldn't log in/don't have jobs that could be done from home are also being paid. My employer is very decent.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

That's not what I've heard. Many are expecting not to have to take leave if they missed work due to their building being closed based on feedback from management so far.

Minister Harris has already confirmed that HSE staff will not have to take leave if they were unable to make it into work due to the weather conditions.

Yes but if their building was open then annual leave will be taken from them or they work it back.

A lot of confusion around it in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I was off two days. I will get paid and don't have to take the days from annual leave. Some staff tried to make it in, one made it, the rest were stranded, some ended up stuck in the office overnight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Yes but if their building was open then annual leave will be taken from them or they work it back.

Yeah, there needs to be some clarity around what is expected of workers with red weather alerts and so on.

Most Government Department's shut their buildings on Thursday and Friday.

https://twitter.com/IRLDeptFinance/status/968864270795538432

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Looks like mine is trying to take it as annual leave. The office was closed on Thursday and Friday and those who were able to work from home were expected to do so, but everyone else seems to be losing holidays.

I normally don't work from home but I was given a laptop for the two days. However, it was faulty and wouldn't charge or run off mains (or work with the charger from my own laptop) so all I could do was work on Thursday until the battery ran out. So they're looking to take a day's leave off me for Friday.

I'm pretty unimpressed as I don't see a provision for this in my contract. Does anyone have a link to the actual law governing this? I'd prefer to have that than a link to a newspaper article as it's more likely to be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Yeah, there needs to be some clarity around what is expected of workers with red weather alerts and so on.

Most Government Department's shut their buildings on Thursday and Friday.

https://twitter.com/IRLDeptFinance/status/968864270795538432

An email has been sent at a national level saying HSE workers won't have to take the days as AL, however, it also doesn't specifically state that we'll be paid, I'm wondering if they're pushing for the days to be unpaid leave.

Vojera wrote: »
    Looks like mine is trying to take it as annual leave. The office was closed on Thursday and Friday and those who were able to work from home were expected to do so, but everyone else seems to be losing holidays.

I normally don't work from home but I was given a laptop for the two days. However, it was faulty and wouldn't charge or run off mains (or work with the charger from my own laptop) so all I could do was work on Thursday until the battery ran out. So they're looking to take a day's leave off me for Friday.

I'm pretty unimpressed as I don't see a provision for this in my contract. Does anyone have a link to the actual law governing this? I'd prefer to have that than a link to a newspaper article as it's more likely to be taken seriously.
    I spoke to Workplace Relations Commission this morning because I’d pay if I had to. Some contracts make provisions for seasonal/short time/lay off. I was advised in such cases you don’t have to pay. If there’s no provision and the staff have made themselves available for work but you’ve closed then there’s no yes/no answer and it’d be up to an ajudicater to make a decision. In my situation there has been a signed contract making provision for short time, I closed for two days and will pay one of those days and the third day was a choice not to come in so she loses two days and I pay 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Had to work from home which was a pisser because I was on a late shift. Didn’t finish until 10pm Wednesday, Thursday or Friday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Clickbait

Sorting office in portlaoise got it fairly bad tbh, road outside it yesterday was a no go so could be today before thats shifted.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭kg703

This is very confusing, I was under the impression nobody had to be paid.

So.... if our office was closed and I physically could not get to work - can my employer force A/L?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭kg703

Sorry just read another response there - I'll check my contract so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Father Crilly wet himself yesterday with massive numbers at mass, we’re back lads sez he, until he heard of the requests of ‘any milk as well?’ When giving out communion.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭wexdevil

Got sent home midway though shift on wednesday night and ended up being off thursday night too. They have told us as it was less than 24hrs notice that we would still be payed without having to take the hours from annual leave.

(hopefully wont be a different story when we get back in tonight)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

2 days off with pay AL not affected. Happy days.

Work in a third level college (public sector). Entire place shut Wed, Thurs & Fri. Was shut for one day for Storm Ophelia. We got that day as approved absence (not taken out of annual leave allowance).

So expecting the same for last week. I think the rule is (for us anyway) is that if the employer decides to close it doesn't get taken out of your AL allocation.

**technically speaking** if you work in a public hospital the building wasn't closed (maybe some were but, I would assume 99% of hospitals remained open throughout) because it can't close so how does that work for clerical workers?

erica74 wrote: »
    **technically speaking** if you work in a public hospital the building wasn't closed (maybe some were but, I would assume 99% of hospitals remained open throughout) because it can't close so how does that work for clerical workers?

Well the option there was to go into work as your workplace was open so thats why they take annual leave etc.

I am in the same boat, not a hospital but public service and a place that will never ever be closed. Came into work on Wed/Thurs and got all work done for the week, didnt come in on friday but as they were open then A/L was taken from me.

Well the option there was to go into work as your workplace was open so thats why they take annual leave etc.

I am in the same boat, not a hospital but public service and a place that will never ever be closed. Came into work on Wed/Thurs and got all work done for the week, didnt come in on friday but as they were open then A/L was taken from me.

Yeah I went in on Wednesday because the weather wasn't terrible but I couldn't get in Thursday or Friday because we were snowed in. An email has been sent today saying we don't have to take AL but also doesn't specifically state we'll be paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

How was peoples journey into work this morning? Most of the roads in Kildare are still a mess.

Yeah I went in on Wednesday because the weather wasn't terrible but I couldn't get in Thursday or Friday because we were snowed in. An email has been sent today saying we don't have to take AL but also doesn't specifically state we'll be paid.
    Could you attend work (they were open) if you let’s say lived walking distance?
    From my understanding of it is if the employee makes themself available for work but work is closed, then the employee can bring this in front of an adjudicator as it’s case by case. On the other hand, if the work was open and the staff wasn’t available (like most of the country to be fair) then I don’t think they have to pay?

Could you attend work (they were open) if you let’s say lived walking distance?
    From my understanding of it is if the employee makes themself available for work but work is closed, then the employee can bring this in front of an adjudicator as it’s case by case. On the other hand, if the work was open and the staff wasn’t available (like most of the country to be fair) then I don’t think they have to pay?

Well, from chatting to people who live locally, it would not have been safe to walk into work on Thursday morning and then obviously from 4pm on Thursday there was the red alert instruction to stay indoors so that would have stopped people from walking in as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

How was peoples journey into work this morning? Most of the roads in Kildare are still a mess.

I skied in no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Well, from chatting to people who live locally, it would not have been safe to walk into work on Thursday morning and then obviously from 4pm on Thursday there was the red alert instruction to stay indoors so that would have stopped people from walking in as well.

I think you may be overly stressed about this Erica, HSE employees will be paid. They've committed to that quite publically, no way they're going to go back on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I'd get banned from the Weather Forum if I said this, but I think it'll be a damp squid. They put snow on such a pedal stool over there.

How did that go for you?

pilly wrote: »
    I think you may be overly stressed about this Erica, HSE employees will be paid. They've committed to that quite publically, no way they're going to go back on it.

Ah I'm not overly stressed at all, just getting everyone's opinion and input on their own setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

One must acknowledge that it can't have been easy for food retailers during the recent cold snap. Excessive demand caused by panic hoarding, coupled with undoubted supply issues caused by impassible road and rail links were certainly challenges.

But.

What I experienced in Tesco Mount Merrion (Dublin) yesterday (Sunday) was inexcusable. ALL the fruit and vegetable shelves were bare. And when I say bare I mean empty. Nothing. No milk either. Of any kind.

There was very little in the way of meat too.

Similar experiences have been reported by Boards readers around the country, includingDublin 15, Limerick, and indeterminate location.

Was it the same in other stores? Apparently not. I drove to a nearby Lidl after marvelling at Tesco's bare shelves and although it too was very crowded for a Sunday there were plentiful supplies of everything. Fruit, veg, Meat, Milk.

How could Lidl do what Tesco apparently couldn't?

Is it because of supply chain issues? Are Tesco's wholesalers disproportionately based in the UK, and therefore prone to disruption caused by cross channel weather problems? Although how this should affect Irish produced milk and meat is beyond me. Do they just not care enough about the Irish market and their customers here to plan properly (or at all) for events like the recent snowy weather?

Anybody have any ideas?

Personally I think Brexit should mean that Tesco bugger off out of here and leave the market to companies who make SOME effort to service their customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Every little helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Anybody have any ideas?
    I'd imagine Tesco themselves would. You could always ask them, like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Same in Dunnes. It will take a day or two to have the supply chain up and running. Even the local butcher's was low on stock this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Sligo Store centainly is, low on Fruit and Veg, Bread, Dairy, and Meat again today. Plus it is also the most horidly laid out Tescos I have ever been to. Not sure much has been done since the Quinnsworth days, other than re configured the check outs and rebranded,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Aldi in tullamore on Saturday evening was the same. Lidl in tuam in Sunday evening was the same. Think lidl or aldi distribution centre is in Naas which still has lots of snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

One must acknowledge that it can't have been easy for food retailers during the recent cold snap. Excessive demand caused by panic hoarding, coupled with undoubted supply issues caused by impassible road and rail links were certainly challenges.

But.

What I experienced in Tesco Mount Merrion (Dublin) yesterday (Sunday) was inexcusable. ALL the fruit and vegetable shelves were bare. And when I say bare I mean empty. Nothing. No milk either. Of any kind.

There was very little in the way of meat too.

Similar experiences have been reported by Boards readers around the country, includingDublin 15, Limerick, and indeterminate location.

Was it the same in other stores? Apparently not. I drove to a nearby Lidl after marvelling at Tesco's bare shelves and although it too was very crowded for a Sunday there were plentiful supplies of everything. Fruit, veg, Meat, Milk.

How could Lidl do what Tesco apparently couldn't?

Is it because of supply chain issues? Are Tesco's wholesalers disproportionately based in the UK, and therefore prone to disruption caused by cross channel weather problems? Although how this should affect Irish produced milk and meat is beyond me. Do they just not care enough about the Irish market and their customers here to plan properly (or at all) for events like the recent snowy weather?

Anybody have any ideas?

Personally I think Brexit should mean that Tesco bugger off out of here and leave the market to companies who make SOME effort to service their customers.
    You know where milk comes from? The trucks weren't able to get to farms to get milk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Im sure they're trying everything they can.I doubt they're keeping their shelves bare just to piss people off! They're the ones who have to pay staff to keep a nearly empty shop open so Id say they're losing out more than you in this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

wakka12 wrote: »
    Im sure they're trying everything they can.I doubt they're keeping their shelves bare just to piss people off! They're the ones who have to pay staff to keep a nearly empty shop open so Id say they're losing out more than you in this

Some of the large retailers were also feeling slightly jittery after the tallaght / Jobstown riot and store attacks

At least one large store I know of had active security at the door- only allowing access on request and card only transactions. No cash.

Even at that they had hardly anything on the shelves. I don't blame them for taking precautions tbh ...

Edit: Lidls responded to the riot ...

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/newsireland/lidl-have-perfect-response-on-twitter-to-burglary-incident-in-tallaght/ar-BBJSF9X?li=BBr5KbJ

recyclebin wrote: »
    Aldi in tullamore on Saturday evening was the same. Lidl in tuam in Sunday evening was the same. Think lidl or aldi distribution centre is in Naas which still has lots of snow.

Not too sure how accurate the report was but heard on the grapevine that the Tesco distribution centre when under the red warning and trucks not insured for deliveries until lifted ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭recyclebin

A quick google tells me Aldi is in Naas, Lidl are in Newbridge and Tesco is in Donabate. What are conditions like there?

Milk trucks often have to collect from farms up narrow side roads so supply will be down from last few days.

recyclebin wrote: »
    A quick google tells me Aldi is in Naas, Lidl are in Newbridge and Tesco is in Donabate. What are conditions like there?

Milk trucks often have to collect from farms up narrow side roads so supply will be down from last few days.

Leinster now down to an Orange Level Warning until tmrw @ 10 ...

Supplies also need to get to the distribution centres to be then sent onwards to stores further afield...

Afaik Aldi and Lidl have large distribution centres around the country as well ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Lidl Waterford no bread, though some buns etc type carbs left. Veg was down but not out, a whole half of middle row of tat/goodies was empty. I don't think everyone understands how 'the just in time supply chain' effects supply. Shops including supermarkets like to hold as little stock in the storage area as possible, bread is perishable and bulky to boot so it's something they get from the supplier/s as they need it. If everyone rushes out to buy 2/3/4 loaves then you get a massive shortfall with any new stock vanishing almost immediately. It's going to be end of the week before things settle. Today when I was out there was not a space to be had for parking in three largish supermarkets that are all in the same complex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

You know where milk comes from? The trucks weren't able to get to farms to get milk.

Lidl seemed to manage it. Alls I'm saying.

Afaik Aldis milk comes from Northern Ireland. They also have multiple distribution centres around the country - a more dispersed distribution model than other supermarkets I think ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

gozunda wrote: »
    Afaik Aldis milk comes from Northern Ireland. They also have multiple distribution centres around the country - a more dispersed distribution model than other supermarkets I think ...

Aldi’s 2 litre milk is from the north alright (has the UK/EU stamp) whereas the 1 litres have has the IE/EU stamp so from the south.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

How did they manage it?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Sjh191

I’m a sales rep that works for a large food manufacturer. I work mainly with large retailers so I have to drive my company van to several different locations to do my job.
    There was a red weather warning in my area since Wednesday and I emailed to see we were on the road and I was told not to move unless I heard otherwise.

Now they are trying to make us take AL.

Has anyone any info on this, if your job is to travel to different locations as part of your job and you physically can’t due to a red weather warning can they still make you take AL or just not pay you?

• Advertisement
Advertisement