Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snowmagedagain

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

silverharp wrote: »
    in the past people thought they would be sued if they did and someone fell, in some european countries you would be breaking the law if you didnt. i noticed it too, i did our path on the first morning and the snow never really stuck after that. while around the corner there was a row of terraced houses and none of them bothered and it became compacted and slippy.

There was a guy on Todayfm morning show, i happen to hear that he cleared his & other driveways as he knew a few older neighbours there & cleared a way more, but nobody came out to help him, but some (well-able;)) walked by him with the head down by not making eye contact, afaik he counted nearly a dozen :eek:;)

I know of someone who wanted to fix the potholes on a regional road & was told by the council that she'd be held accountable, it certainly got noticed as they hadn't been to fix it for over 10years:o
    As an aside, I used a regular shovel and also a snow shovel.

The snow shovel is definitely the tool for the job!! Cleared the snow away much better than with the other shovel (but that was useful for hard compacted bits that needed a good whack).

Snow shovels are cheap enough - mine was only 6 euro in Argos. Think it is a good idea to have in one in the house to use if ever snow like this affects us again.

Is that the plastic wide one's, i hadn't realised they were only €6?
    harr wrote: »
    I cleared mine after the first day of heavy snow before it became compacted and put down some of the heavy duty gritting Salt the local garage were selling.
    While some snow did stick after that it melted away fairly quick and was a lot easier to clear.
    I was the only one to do it in my estate and I was the only who didn’t have to literally dig my car out yesterday.
    Another piece of kit I found great was the long blow torch I use to kill weeds ..Lidl sell them on occasion, great for the compacted snow.

Be careful on the salt as An older neighbour of mine had a bannister leading down the path & left out salt on it to clear it, unbeknownst to him, it worked too well as there's less of the path now for the snow to lie on :P
    koumi wrote: »
    I want to thank Jesus and also my daughter for the extra food during the midst of the snow and the person who sold me the lotto ticket on Saturday, thank you.

Did ya win enough for a snowplough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Lidl seemed to manage it. Alls I'm saying.

Maybe they get in more stock at a time which is necessarily a good thing for perishables. The other supermarkets are hardly keeping their shelves empty for the craic.

I worked in Tesco for a summer in college, on the tills and shelf-stacking so I don't know anything about the supply chain processes they have in place. But one thing I took from working there is that many people hate Tesco. I mean, really hate it. And will often treat the staff quite shabbily and with barely-concealed contempt because of that. Fun times!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Lidl Waterford no bread, though some buns etc type carbs left. Veg was down but not out, a whole half of middle row of tat/goodies was empty. I don't think everyone understands how 'the just in time supply chain' effects supply. Shops including supermarkets like to hold as little stock in the storage area as possible, bread is perishable and bulky to boot so it's something they get from the supplier/s as they need it. If everyone rushes out to buy 2/3/4 loaves then you get a massive shortfall with any new stock vanishing almost immediately. It's going to be end of the week before things settle. Today when I was out there was not a space to be had for parking in three largish supermarkets that are all in the same complex.

Are you talking about Lidl and Aldi in Ardkeen? It was mayhem there around lunchtime, cars everywhere and lots of car spaces were taken over by huge lumps of snow so there was less parking as well. It was like a Christmas shopping day! And everybody seemed cranky:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Got a message at 10.30 am on Thursday morning that my workplace was closed,got a circular yesterday saying that we would be paid for the 2 days. Grand or so you might think,but no....we have to work in the time or forfeit the payment for the 2 days.
    They say that ibec are telling them they aren't obliged to pay us but reading 2 employment law experts take on it,we are to be paid as our work closed and everyone was available for work on Thursday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Ajsoprano

We are getting paid boss asked for 6 hours overtime over next two weeks to cover it. We agreed. Everyone happy all round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

jonnycivic wrote: »
    They are being paid but annual leave will be taken off them ;)

Not in our place. Only those who booked A/L prior to the red warning will have the leave taken from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I didn't go in Friday or Saturday so I owe my boss two days or take it from my annual leave. He said 'the decision is on ye to come in or not'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Clickbait

Is Portlaoise still snowed in or what's happening up there? I have a package there since last Wednesday. I thought there might be some movement on Sunday and I'd get it on Monday. I'd normally get an update on tracking at 7am in the morning but it still hasn't been moved from Portlaoise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

Office was closed Wednesday through Friday, will be paid anyway, great employer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Worked from home got full pay. I have the option to work from home when I want but don't as I never get anything done, wife was complaining that I spent most of Wed-Fri in the backroom, typing away on my laptop....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Not in our place. Only those who booked A/L prior to the red warning will have the leave taken from them.

I booked a/l for Thursday for an event that was cancelled anyway due to the weather,work was closed on the day and they are paying for it,is it fair to take the a/l from you when work was closed anyway?

Fann Linn wrote: »

Same here, anyone who was on AL on Thursday or Friday are losing those days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Conspectus wrote: »
    Probably at home staying out of trouble. In fairness would you go out and tackle them without a large mob behind you.

But if the scum are a tiny minority it should follow that the decent people have a vast majority I.e a much larger mob.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Colser wrote: »
    I booked a/l for Thursday for an event that was cancelled anyway due to the weather,work was closed on the day and they are paying for it,is it fair to take the a/l from you when work was closed anyway?

Yes. You booked the time off, you got the time off. What happened to others is irrelevant.
    I'd pissed off with the timing of it happened to myself though.

Ajsoprano wrote: »
    We are getting paid boss asked for 6 hours overtime over next two weeks to cover it. We agreed. Everyone happy all round.

See, that's a very reasonable approach by your employer. They get something back while also giving the employees something and everyone is happy.

I think this discussion is good, maybe an employer will read the approach Ajsoprano's employer took and go that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

I'm an employer, the weather was flagged well in advance so we worked on the basis that the laboratory was likely to be closed from Wednesday to Friday. We were indeed closed, so everybody was off, with full pay and no effect on annual leave. Bar one staff member who had Friday as an annual leave day and he will get that added back to his leave, as that's only fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

Did ya win enough for a snowplough?
    got enough to pay off a few bills, which due to not being able to lodge money over the last week incurred unpaid fees :( I got a text from BOI on Friday stating they would refund anyone who incurred fees due to unpaid direct debits or standing orders but as of today BOI owes me 26 euro so it was handy win really.

I never thought I'd say it but I'm actually biscuited out today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Keelin Shanley.

Has she not got a funny mouth though? :confused:

RiseToMe wrote: »
    I'm an employer, the weather was flagged well in advance so we worked on the basis that the laboratory was likely to be closed from Wednesday to Friday. We were indeed closed, so everybody was off, with full pay and no effect on annual leave. Bar one staff member who had Friday as an annual leave day and he will get that added back to his leave, as that's only fair.

If I could thank this twice,I would. Fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

But if the scum are a tiny minority it should follow that the decent people have a vast majority I.e a much larger mob.

Well lets think about this .The vast majority are made up of families with kids, senior citizens , young women , young men and some elderly and some disabled .So a feral mob is out looting and you expect the vast majority to all rise up together in unison to tackle them ? This is a huge sprawling area and so very unlikely that all could see what was going on . Think rationally about your own area and how it would work .Does one man rise up and rally everyone shouting and calling to join him in his " majority mob " Or is it a call to arms via text or whatsapp ? Its is not a little village where everyone would see and be aware it a large estate with many houses .I laugh when I read this lofty notion that somehow the "majority " should somehow stop this feral gang .? Do you think they were all standing somewhere ready to bear arms at a bugle call .Some were minding kids or in the shower or cooking dinner or watching TV , much like the rest of the country at the time . How on earth were they suddenly to form " a majority mob " out of the blue on a Friday evening .They are just ordinary people like you and I .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

_Dara_ wrote: »
    But one thing I took from working there is that many people hate Tesco. I mean, really hate it. And will often treat the staff quite shabbily and with barely-concealed contempt because of that. Fun times!

Well as originally stated, I draw a firm distinction between distaste for an organisation and discourtesy to the people on the shop floor. They don't make the policy; they just have to endure its effects.

Good manners cost nothing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Just from the employers side of things, we have decided to pay our employees even though the place was open on Thursday and capable of opening Friday so I put through 40 hours for everyone and I have lads coming in asking for their overtime for the hours they worked extra Mon-Wed.

It makes you wonder at the greed of some and would discourage me from paying it in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Whats left lads ?
    Just a load of oul slushy brown ****e ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Got a message at 10.30 am on Thursday morning that my workplace was closed,got a circular yesterday saying that we would be paid for the 2 days. Grand or so you might think,but no....we have to work in the time or forfeit the payment for the 2 days.
    They say that ibec are telling them they aren't obliged to pay us but reading 2 employment law experts take on it,we are to be paid as our work closed and everyone was available for work on Thursday morning.

That's typical IBEC talk imo. They do more harm to employer - employee relations than a ton of fresh sprayed slurry. If you are in a union or know someone who is - go get some independent advice. Best of luck

Well as originally stated, I draw a firm distinction between distaste for an organisation and discourtesy to the people on the shop floor. They don't make the policy; they just have to endure its effects.

Good manners cost nothing.

The mad thing is that many of people who'd be bitching about Tesco (there would seriously be people loudly complaining about them in the queue) would be holding car keys. I'd be thinking to myself "Why don't they go elsewhere then? We're in Dublin where there's plenty of choice!"

gozunda wrote: »
    That's typical IBEC talk imo. They do more harm to employer - employee relations than a ton of fresh sprayed slurry. If you are in a union or know someone who is - go get some independent advice. Best of luck

"However, where an employer makes the decision to close its premises as a consequence of severe adverse weather, employees should not be penalised for their non-attendance at the workplace and should be paid regardless of their absence. Any non-payment in such circumstances could give rise to a claim for breach of contract or unlawful deduction of wages – not to mention employee disgruntlement and possible industrial relations issues."

https://www.algoodbody.com/insights-publications/taming-the-beast-from-the-east-what-irish-employers-need-to-know

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭muppetshow1451

They are probably laughing there arse of in Norway,Canada and Russia at the moment.

They are probably laughing there arse of in Norway,Canada and Russia at the moment.

What an original point. How did you come up with that?

What an original point. How did you come up with that?

Maybe because i am still laughing,did i hit your irish pride.
    Yawn

I'd say they are probably just living their lives and don't really care about our weather, the same way we don't really care about their weather.

• Advertisement

Maybe because i am still laughing,did i hit your irish pride.
    Yawn

I’m pretty proud of how we dealt with it. I would expect that countries who have guaranteed long subzero winters every year would deal with it much better. It would be strange if they didn’t. Don’t you understand the differing climates? Ireland’s is temperate and strongly influenced by the jet stream. What happened was rare.

Oh and Ireland had NO fatalities due to this cold spell. Meanwhile supposedly better-equipped countries such as Poland had quite a few. That’s nothing to be proud of. So laugh it up! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Behold the badass by proxy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Oh and Ireland had NO fatalities due to this cold spell.

I don't think that is correct.

Didn't some poor care worker freeze to death trying to get somewhere, and wasn't there a case of ambulances unable to reach some poor man who then died. That's off the top of my head, but I'm sure there were some deaths in which the weather was a significant factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Lol what an absolutely useless post. What I found interesting during the snow that quite a few posters seemed to be in daily contact with their mates in Canada, Poland and Russia having a good chuckle.

We have a very stable temperate climate

I don't think that is correct.

Didn't some poor care worker freeze to death trying to get somewhere, and wasn't there a case of ambulances unable to reach some poor man who then died. That's off the top of my head, but I'm sure there were some deaths in which the weather was a significant factor.

I didn’t see any reports of those.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/storm-emma/everyone-helped-that-brings-me-some-comfort-widow-of-grandfather-who-died-while-walking-in-the-snow-36675319.html

It is not entirely certain of the man would have survived his cardiac arrest even if they had reached him

Well oddly enough I was chatting to someone in Canada who was amazed that we actually coped quite well with a weather event that we are not used to .

iamwhoiam wrote: »

That’s kinda tenuous so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'd also say we seemed to cope better than the UK. We have/ had people cut off in their homes not stranded on motorways for hours and hours.

For the majority, things are also getting back to normal very rapidly - hence a lot of ignorant/ selfish stuff on the likes of Facebook giving out about footpaths and car parks not being cleared, when councils are still clearing drifts to get to households.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

erica74 wrote: »
    I'd say they are probably just living their lives and don't really care about our weather, the same way we don't really care about their weather.

My Dad was in Sweden in the 70s and the first people he met did't even know what Ireland was, just gave him a blank stare.:D

When he showed them it on his diary map, they said, oh England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I wonder how much the suicide rates would spike if some normally sunny country started getting a prolonged dose of the grey dull sh1te weather we're accustomed to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

In some areas the snow has been compacted against the side of the roads so much that it has essentially formed a valley. This is what the road into Maynooth looks like.

[URL="[img]https://i.imgur.com/DCl85qJ.jpg[/img]"]DCl85qJ.jpg[/URL]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

I wonder how much the suicide rates would spike if some normally sunny country started getting a prolonged dose of the grey dull sh1te weather we're accustomed to.

Yea - props to us for staying alive!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

The Care Worker case happened in Scotland , not sure where the ambulance case happened .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

The mad thing is that many of people who'd be bitching about Tesco (there would seriously be people loudly complaining about them in the queue) would be holding car keys. I'd be thinking to myself "Why don't they go elsewhere then? We're in Dublin where there's plenty of choice!"

I did. (see earlier post)

But I went to my local Tesco (on foot) last night--yes WEDNESDAY MARCH 7th, with the thaw well in progress and the fruit and veg shelves were empty again. At about 6 pm!!!
    And no sausages either :mad:
    That's the Tesco in Upper Baggot Street I'm talking about.

Now the Adam Smiths among you will no doubt point out that Tesco have a self interest in stocking their own shelves and selling the produce thereon and it is against their financial interests not to do so, so there must be glitches in the supply chain somewhere. But that is my point. They must be prioritising deliveries elsewhere (like Britain) and calculating that the ever patient Irish customer will just shrug their shoulders and get on with it.

Sure who needs onions every day anyway?

I hope when the time comes Brexit means that these shysters will bog off back to Britain with their Anglo centric supply chains and leave the Irish market to people who are prepared to serve it properly.

And have no fear that they will. I first came to live in that area more than 50 years ago and there has ALWAYS been a supermarket on that site. Previously it was Quinnsworth. Before that it was something else (Liptons, if memory serves but we're going way back into the dawn of time now)

• Advertisement

My local Centra has a decent veg section and it has been struggling to get those shelves filled this week. Or any of its shelves. Have you looked into whether other supermarkets and convenience stores are having the same problems? Because if any of them are, that rant is misplaced.

I find the Tesco hostility so weird.

I’m pretty proud of how we dealt with it. I would expect that countries who have guaranteed long subzero winters every year would deal with it much better. It would be strange if they didn’t. Don’t you understand the differing climates? Ireland’s is temperate and strongly influenced by the jet stream. What happened was rare.

Oh and Ireland had NO fatalities due to this cold spell. Meanwhile supposedly better-equipped countries such as Poland had quite a few. That’s nothing to be proud of. So laugh it up! :)

When did Lidl in Norway get looted?
    Atleast they have the balls to admit it in Britain.
    Always hard for Paddy to admit hes wrong.
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/news-opinion/cannot-cope-snow-britain-never-14356364

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

When did Lidl in Norway get looted?
    Atleast they have the balls to admit it in Britain.
    Always hard for Paddy to admit hes wrong.
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/news-opinion/cannot-cope-snow-britain-never-14356364

In 2008... took all their stores :):):)

LINKYLINK

minikin wrote: »
    In 2008... took all their stores :):):)

LINKYLINK

Typical Paddy response when he knows he has to swallow his pride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Typical Paddy response when he knows he has to swallow his pride.

You what now?
    My name isn’t Paddy, why have I to swallow my pride?

• Advertisement
Advertisement